Do these things record everything you say?

Or how do they work?
Asking because I don't want to get wiretapped everytime I visit someone at home

Attached: voice-assistants-battle.jpg (820x410, 110K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mycroft.ai/
anatomyof.ai/
iheart.com/content/2018-05-24-amazon-apologizes-after-alexa-records-sends-out-private-conversation/
slate.com/technology/2018/02/apples-app-store-is-becoming-a-major-revenue-source-for-apple.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Are there any FOSS/GPL compliant voice assistants?

They don't, but they leave the possibility of doing so.

Yes and so does your smartphone

If it has a mic and telephony, it will.

mycroft.ai/
found that today, i think i'll try it out at work tomorow

So which one now?

Yes, they do. They connect to the internet and use a search engine to find what you have asked for with transcribed speech. It couldn't possibly operate without recording what you tell it, so how is it a stretch to say it is recording everything you say? It has to always be on and listening to function.

Alexa if you are addicted to Jeff bezos cock
Siri if you are audiophile (and applefag)
Google Home if you enjoy being part of the botnet
Smth with Cortana if you are still in egdy teen phase

Yes they listen to everything you say. Who the fuck falls for the "It only listens when you say 'Alexa'" argument? If it's not always listening then how does it know when to respond when you call its name?

what a cute lil' fucker

Attached: mark1_20photo_large-1.jpg (640x640, 17K)

The "least" botnet is probably the HomePod. But it's an Apple product, wich means it will only work with an iPhone or a Mac, and it will also make you a fag

yes, you can see them uploading data in real time. I log all my company data and the alexa's use more data than our main server does (no joke)
yep a few, there's several voice libraries too, a few called jarvis and variations of that.

All are botnets except Siri however Siri is literally garbage, more expensive and will only work with Apple ™ shit.

Meh. I wouldn't support apple in any way even if they started releasing fucking time machines and loli sexbots that can cook.

Can the Microsoft one grind pepper, too? I'm getting one asap if it does.

What do you even use that for? To this day i only ever see normies speaking google searches into that shit and it samvoices the results back. Every single fucker can literally use their phones the same way or just type that shit in nigga. I don't even, that shit be expensive as fuck. Damn.

Don’t say things you can’t take back user.

the point is to have a voice interface instead of a screen and keyboard

>What is a phone
Same shit.

>implying Amazon isn't a botnet
>implying Siri isn't a botnet
>implying any "virtual assistant" isn't BITNET
costanza.png

Using voice can be faster than typing, and it’s certainly far more convenient for setting alarms, timers, appointments, playing songs, general knowledge, basic maths and probably more that I’ve forgotten about.

>Do these things record everything you say?
Theoretically, yes. They very well could. You'd have to buy one and monitor network traffic to be sure. I don't own one (and never will) but there are people like saying that they do indeed upload everything you say.

Attached: bq-5bf39a9daf7ef.jpg (640x640, 81K)

in sleep mode the alexa's upload at 2kbps when silent and 30-90kbps when people are talking
it's overwhelmingly obvious they upload it

We know Google is botnet king, we know Amazon is alphabet nigger botnet, we know Windows 10 is insane botnet, but what proof do you have that Siri is a botnet when there has been no evidence to support it?
Pajeet tier responses WILL BE discarded.

>throw away your privacy so you dont have to take 10 seconds to set alarms, play songs or type in a few words / numbers
Lmao @ faggots who buy this shit

>throw away your privacy
there are open source solutions

>he thinks normies are as tech literate as him and realise they are botnets
Give your mother my condolences, I didn’t know autism like this existed.

> Which wiretap do you want Jow Forums

every single fucking query is routed through Apple's servers, if you think they aren't using all info collected from those queries and selling that data to a 3rd party you are a retarded fanboy who desperately clings on to the hopes Apple can do no wrong, now fuck off marketer

it has to record everything otherwise how would it respond to prompts? it just turns on by pure coincidence as you start saying it? anyone who says no is a fucking retard

it only has to record the last few seconds, to tell if someone is saying a prompt or not. if someone's not saying a prompt, it doesn't have to store it long-term.

i don't know how anyone could be so naive in the year of our lord 2018

Samsung TVs contain spy microphones why wouldn't these?

anatomyof.ai/

2kbps is more than enough to send every keyword you use in a conversation

They record everything. Even if they say they don't, they do. Snips doesn't have this problem (it does technically record everything but it immediately deletes most of it because it doesn't need an internet connection).

have fun listening to my farts and burps then.

Because you can disable them? Plus my samsung doesn't have microphones :)

It is recording locally and processing the data, locally. You can verify this yourself by monitoring your network traffic you mongoloid caveman retard.

It is THE fastest way to go from silence to playing a song or movie, or, if its running on a phone, getting driving directions. It is also faster than typing for asking a question to a search engine, although they're much slower about finding the answer you want.

Which are?

>being concern about privacy has to do with autism
Talk about irony

Vault7 broseph

So the CIA knows what anime I watch?

Yes you've got good taste

cool, as I said that's when it's silent in the room. and it's 30-90 when talking.

Audio files aren't small when they're 10 minutes of listenable quality I can't even imagine how massive they would be if they really were recording everything all the time. But that doesn't mean if someone wants to listen they can't just ssh or whatever into your shit and listen for a moment

No I don't

You're glowing

iheart.com/content/2018-05-24-amazon-apologizes-after-alexa-records-sends-out-private-conversation/

Do not trust anything

Attached: trust-nobody-not-even-yourself-credits-to-bakoahmed-and-watermelonhero_fb_4373367.jpg (300x300, 24K)

There's two voice prompts. One listens for the trigger to start the other one. It works without an internet connection and the second one begins recording if you are connected. It will immediately go to an error if there's no connection. The second one literally records eveything and sends and saves it on their shit. The first one I'm not convinced is sending shit. It would be recording and storing locally and then dumping stuff when it fills up. Unless it smartly sneaks it during times where you actually want it to do something, I don't see anything

Sources?

That's exactly why you can't trust it

yes they do, they sent small bits of data to servers. They are dumb as a fucking rock, pretty much mics with an internet connection a couple more things for cache and improve the way it sends/receives data.
It's the worse idea you can have to get one of these things inside your house.

activity.google.com

Of course they do tard. But your phone does too, so ask how much it matters.

Apple does not sell it to 3rd parties, it's not there business model to profit from that, although they use it for internal analysis.
There's tons of evidence to prove it. The fact that you may want to deny it because you use there products does not make them less of a botnet. Everything that phones home is one.

>Apple does not sell it to 3rd parties, it's not there business model to profit from that, although they use it for internal analysis.
>he actually believes this
I gotta nice bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in purchasing

Attached: 1524401806646.jpg (431x450, 39K)

Not in the same way Google does, of course, but check if you see any 3rd party related info about that. They make a lot more money from retards who buy their stuff

if you honestly think Apple is above double dipping by charging out the ass for their mediocre cod pieces and then reaping sales of information from their users to 3rd parties, you are beyond naive
how in the world do you thinl Apple became a trillion dollar company? by selling hardware and iTunes? look what it took to get apple to that level, they are using Google's business model, it's the only way they could have hit that level considering they only take up 15% of the world market share on mobile devices and their share with PCs is even slimmer than that
they sell user info, it's the only plausible explanation

It's a glorified virtual assistant

Siri, I don't know how to push a button

Fuck me cortana, who calls this music

Turn this fucking shit off alexa

Why the fuck, fuck, what the fuck fuck you google whore

I NEVER use my assistants. This shit is literally designed to make children happy, adults have no use for this shit.

>They don't
Totally ignores the Edward Snowden revelations
Of course they're listening to everything

Oh dear, Microsoft owns a big chunk of Apple.Inc shares, at least 30%. They did not copy Google's business model at all, things for Apple begun to be profitable after they release iTunes and iPod. Enforcing their products and giving them some illusion of value is what makes them a trillion dollar company, please tell me you don't believe they have all that money in hard cash hidden somewhere...

Snowden didn't have a clue about the things he found. Oh scary stuff, lets run amok to nowhere land and publish everything because muh conspiracy

no, I dont
but I'm also not as gullible to take Tim "takes cocks for kicks" Cook word that Apple just collects user data for "analytical purposes"

slate.com/technology/2018/02/apples-app-store-is-becoming-a-major-revenue-source-for-apple.html
Not quite to take his word but I do know that there is a lot of money to be made from other sources than selling my buying habits to a marketing company

It matters because of the possibility of the social score that china has.
You can't even ride book a train if your score is too low.

looks like Wall-E head.
I'm sold.

Fuck of you glow in the dark person of african heritage

Im glowing at you, user

You don't want to, trust me

They will probably pick up on certain keywords

Yes and no. They're technically always listening because they have to pick up on when you say "hey google," or "hey Alexa."
Recording, kind of. A while back when i first got the Mini, i said some shit like "blah blah Hey Google" and when i went to the Home app on my phone, i saw that it picked up "blah blah" even before i said the activation phrase. So it's kinda sketchy

Mycroft is the way forward. We shouldn't have to give up convenience for protection of our privacy and FLOSS. Mycroft is doing it right!

So does your phone
These little fellas just fill in the gaps when your phone isn't in the room

Can you self host the web service it uses/not use an account?

so what does Mycroft do with all the data collected in the queries? where does that information get sent to? who controls the servers that the data gets sent to? what do they do with said data?

It's not recording you. It's registering key words and phrases. Then stores what phrases and key words you said at what time, if there were more than one person and a bunch of other Metadata they record.

So let's say you watch TV and it registers a saying or topic, sends the meta data to the server and then they send you ads and recommended searches to the profile you registered it under based on what you watch on TV or have a conversation about.

They try to anononymize it. But they really can't if it's latched to your profile that has your billing address and personal information. Or track where you are and when you used the service.

He's a big guy

Not only do they record everything, but it's also stored on the companies' servers. When a judge claimed it, Amazon was able to give two days of recording of a accused man.

> tfw you've been at a friend house for the whole afternoon and you realize at the end there's a vocal assistant

see

You guys realize that your Apple and Android phones are listening always as well right? It's the exact same concept.

I think the problem isn't what is and isn't listening to us but rather the trust we have between the companies who made these things. For me personally, we can't avoid the constant spying that is done by big brother and I will love to revert those changes back to the old days, as such I keep certain of things I own as "semi-public" or "I don't mind you spying on me". But having my conversation recorded between me and my spouse in my privacy of my bed is just going too far.

does firetv hd record? im guessing yes, how the fuck do I disable this shit? just take a pin to the mic hole?

is it really that hard for zoomers to look up the weather or check appointments on their phones? your phone is already listening in why add more shit to capture every second of your life?

looks like my trusty Linksys switch uWu

Attached: Cisco-Linksys-EZXS88W-Ver-31-RA340FB13154-EB1050-8-Port-10100-Workgroup-Switch-222464871761-3.jpg (1280x960, 91K)

Ever heard of compression? Try using voice chat and monitor how much data is send.
Protip: It's fucking nothing.

Why isn't that shit offline? That's not how you build trust.

Not if you root it and put something completely open source on them. Why only eat the cookies if you can have the cake too?

At that moment Cell felt the true meaning of terror

No it fucking doesn't, because then I could say ok Google with the screen off and it'd work.

Qualcomm can suck a dick

>Which are?
read the damn thread