Friendly Text Editor /fte/

I'm trying to learn vim, (finished vimtutor), and I figured since a lot of Jow Forums uses these type of editors, a friendly tutorial thread might be fun.
One question I have in regard to vim is, outside of the baseline tutorial, what do you recommend learning how to use first?

Attached: vimemacs.jpg (569x400, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pragprog.com/book/dnvim2/practical-vim-second-edition
learnvimscriptthehardway.stevelosh.com/
blog.carbonfive.com/2011/10/17/vim-text-objects-the-definitive-guide/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why aren't you using GNU nano?

Attached: GNU nano.png (596x366, 40K)

pragprog.com/book/dnvim2/practical-vim-second-edition
learnvimscriptthehardway.stevelosh.com/

Because you can't flex with it

I'm still a vim newfag but these vimrc settings are necessary in my mind

set tabstop=4 softtabstop=0 noexpandtab shiftwidth=4

Attached: 6.jpg (1000x800, 57K)

Notepad++

how do vim people live without org-mode?

I like to be able to comment out a block of code easily, by using visual to select it, then these to add the comment symbol; put these in your .vimrc

vmap # :s/^/#/
vmap r :s/^[;#]//

vmap ;; :s/^/;/

the first one adds an "#" to each line, like a bash script comments
the third one adds an ";" to each line, like AVR assembler comments

the second one removes those symbols to re-enable that code

I dont document anything lmao

Any other vimrc tips?

>Hints for Preparing DocumentsMost documents go through several versions (always more than you expected) before they are finally finished. Accordingly, you should do whatever possible to make the job of changing them easy.
>First, when you do the purely mechanical operations of typing, type so subsequent editing will be easy. Start each sentence on a new line. Make lines short, and break lines at natural places, such as after commas and semicolons, rather than randomly. Since most people change documents by rewriting phrases and adding, deleting and rearranging sentences, these precautions simplify any editing you have to do later.
>— Brian W. Kernighan

For all of you who mostly use text editors to write.

Attached: Brian Kernighan.jpg (600x400, 50K)

>a lot of Jow Forums uses these type of editors
Jow Forums is filled with drooling retards using Atom or Visual Studio Code.

how about you just start using vim and learn more command as you go. You don't need this tutorial faggotry. You can write the commands on a paper and paste it somewhere you can easily see while using vim.

you know you can just select them, press capital I then insert whatever you want at the beginning right? You don't anything special to comment out a block of code.

:help user-manual
:help index
>essential to know of imo.

The best editor is not Emacs or Vim, it's Emacs with Vim

Use Evil

nice, saved

Nano is love, Nano is life.

You mean vile?

Using nano is idiotic, it is the notepad of linux.

no Evil. If you want a quick rundown, use Spacemacs for a few weeks.

Friendly reminder Elvis supports groff

Attached: Elvis with groff again.webm (1280x720, 959K)

More tips like this please.

Save early, save often!

Vim text objects work across that linebreak style
blog.carbonfive.com/2011/10/17/vim-text-objects-the-definitive-guide/

Use NeoVim because it's 2018.

The biggest Vim lifesaver for me has been using "jk" to leave insert / visual mode instead of , this way I don't ever have to leave the home row ever

inoremap jk
vnoremap jk

Yep. Its a better vim than vim inside emacs.

>he can't rice his nano
Please go niggas don't need that extra shit they just need to rice with pretty colors my nigga.

>Not just remapping the useless capslock key to escape across of all linux
better way of doing in my opinion.

Evil is pretty neat indeed. I got converted recently and still getting used to it.
I see it as trading the vim + tmux + vim script plugins to get emacs superior modes with vim and superior elisp.
Plus I get to use orgmode and see if it's really as good as emacsfags who live by it claim

I tried Vim for a some time, a few weeks (first time using any of the two). Like it and get comfortable with modal editing. Then I tried Emacs, I put my mind into learning Emacs bindings and forget about Vim. I like it too, the customization was a good thing and bad thing for me. Then I dropped both. Months later I tried Evil, I wanted to try one more time to see if it clicks again and OH MAN, it clicked. I get used again to Vim bindings while using Emacs customization.

For the record, I used Spacemacs before but I found it too confusing and too much feature bloated. But a lot of people use it to learn about Emacs AND Vim.

I thought it was dumb advice but now I found it feasible. If you want to learn Emacs, use Evil. Even if it is the first time using Vim and Emacs go for Evil. You want it easier? Try Spacemacs. Learn minimal Emacs bindings and go full Evil.

BTW, I only write (like writing books or articles) in Emacs, nothing professional though. I don't program, so my advice could not be useful to you.

Spacemacs is the final editorpill.