Red pill me on dart/flutter. is this going to last longer than google's other shitty products?

red pill me on dart/flutter. is this going to last longer than google's other shitty products?

Attached: 2018-12-06_083752.jpg (564x581, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

flutter.io/docs/get-started/flutter-for/react-native-devs
github.com/react-native-community/discussions-and-proposals/issues/64
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>dart
Dead on arrival

It's just an alternative for people. Don't really care.

Most people are sticking to Java for Android development.

If you like Kotlin or this Flutter crap, use it, its up to you.

MORE ABSTRACTION PLEASE

2 years later..

MORE ABSTRACTION PLEASE

dead already

Comfy AF. Just give it a chance.
The usual flutter learning curve is
>What the fuck is this, I don't understand how ANYTHING works
>Oh, I get it. That's pretty neat.
>What the FUCK, how do I manage state across components without passing it through every single component in between?!
>Oh, nice. the BLOC pattern is great. Streams are fucking neat.

And then you at the plateau of productivity.
And thanks to stateful hot reload, that allows you to get shit done really quickly.

Coming from someone that's developed a very large React Native app, Flutter is no doubt objectively better than RN.

My biggest issues with RN is that:

1. Most of RN is pretty much a black box in to what you write as JS and what actually displays on the device which leads to styling inconsistencies between platforms (lessened a bit by Yoga layout, but it's still really bad) and also crashes caused by native components that you can't debug well. Flutter has taken advantage of this and employed their own graphics engine (Skia).

2. Performance isn't great on RN. All JS instructions are synchronously batched in a "bridge" to communicate to the native side to create/update/destroy components which in other words is a huge black box. Android also uses a very, very old JavaScript interpreter (JSC) that doesn't support x64 last updated in 2016. Flutter solves this by compiling Dart code to fully native code.

3. Community libraries are shit. Important stuff you'd expect to be part of the core just isn't there (such as navigation). Flutter has a great navigation solution, React Native forces you to choose whether to use a JS only solution and suffer performance or sacrifice performance for an extremely opinionated library. Flutter also includes Material components where there's sad imitations on React Native.

4. Developer experience is shit. Remote debugging runs the JavaScript code on the host machine (a different version of JavaScript) and serialises JS commands through the network which is slow as shit and breaks JS timers (setTimeout, setInterval). Our team is instructed to close the app and reopen the app each time we make a change because hot reloading never works (met with a red error box) and live reloading (reloading the whole app) doesn't actually update anything.

I really hope Flutter takes over because even though I love developing with React/TS on the web, React Native is just embarrassingly awful, even after 3 years.

The only things I don't like about Flutter is the clumsy build method that nests like JSX/XML/HTML but you have to worry about where you place parenthesis in cases such as refactoring to add parent widgets which is a headache. Also being forced to use nested styles just suck.

I would welcome a JSX like syntax for Flutter to be adopted though. That'd fix most of my gripes with Flutter.

Is flutter the best framework for someone developing a multiplatform (iOS + Android) mobile app? What alternatives are mobile devs using? Not necessarily with the native aims of flutter, but with solid grants of consistency. I've heard of Xamarin, but does it build to iOS too? I know nothing of mobile development but I might need it in the near future.

What company do you work at that still makes native mobile apps and what is their conversion rate on conning a sane human being into installing their rando app? Do people even do that anymore?

Yes, and React Native is the main alternative. On top of that though it will have first class support in Google's Fuchsia OS and will likely end up as a competitor to Electron on desktop.

Large companies will opt for native solutions primarily for performance. Recently they've been dropping cross platform such as Airbnb dropping React Native. Only Microsoft and Facebook really use React Native. Every other large companies use native solutions. Flutter however just so happens to compile to native which is great though.

>What alternatives are mobile devs using
mostly react native and explains why its shit. Xamarin is cross platform but the community is ded. Even Microsoft uses React Native instead of Xamarin in their new projects.

Attached: file.png (1290x418, 51K)

>it will have first class support in Google's Fuchsia OS and will likely end up as a competitor to Electron on desktop.
Flutter or RN? And about flutter, what languages does it support? And is it ready for production right noyor just an "in development, no support" shit like Rust? I'm a trannie so no "u don't use rust coz ur from Jow Forums"

Went from iOS development with swift to flutter and flutter is a lot less annoying to use. I'd recommend it.

This. Give it a chance

Flutter. And Flutter uses Dart which was supposed to be the successor of JavaScript with types (C style syntax so it's pretty easy to pick up). Which also means that dart apps can also transpile to JavaScript. Google actually uses it for many of their sites because having proper typing prevents a lot of issues. We're also seeing early implementations of flutter on the web too but I've got a feeling it's going to be more of a canvas like adoption.

>is this going to last longer than google's other shitty products?
It already has though. Dart's about 7 years old. Flutter is 1 year old but they've already started using it in major core products like Google Maps, so it's likely to stick around for a while. A lot of people are thinking it's going to become a major part of Fuschia as well.

As a JavaScript developer, is dart easy to adapt to? I hated the C++ -> Rust change despite everyone saying rust was easy. Also is it really worth learning a meme new language rather than sticking to solid industry JavaScript?

If you've used ES2015 JavaScript/Typescript or Java you'll find it pretty easy to develop using Dart.

I was able to start off pretty quick with this guide although I am a react native dev, but the same concepts do apply since it's JavaScript.
flutter.io/docs/get-started/flutter-for/react-native-devs

What's wrong with just using Java/JavaFx??

>And is it ready for production right noyor just an "in development, no support" shit like Rust?

Well it just got v1 and is considered production ready, so I guess so. React Native on the other hand has been v0.xx for the last few years.

github.com/react-native-community/discussions-and-proposals/issues/64

holy fuck the absolute state of react native

>JavaFX
Nobody uses that. It's abandonware at this point.