Would you use Windows 10 subsystem for Linux if it was done the same way Ubuntu is available as a subsystem for Windows...

Would you use Windows 10 subsystem for Linux if it was done the same way Ubuntu is available as a subsystem for Windows 10?

Attached: 123.png (650x300, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/VSCodium/vscodium
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have absolutely no reason to use windows, whether in a subsystem or not.
I wouldn't even use windows if it was licensed under GPLv3

I have absolutely no reason to use linux, whether in a subsystem or not.

What about Microsoft Office, Visual Studio and video games?

OP's talking about windows on linux not the other way around you fucking /v/tard

he probably doesn't have a job/life

>MS office
Plaintext, or org-mode -> pdf if absolutely necessary. I will commit the sin of using google sheets if ABSOLUTELY necessary (keeping track of things with friends, for example)
>Visual Studio
lol
>video games
eh, I find programming as rewarding as playing games so I'd rather do that. With small shitposting breaks of course.

So I can use all those great windows-only cli applications?
No thanks

You mean wine?

I would gain absolutely nothing from it so no

Subsystem can have its own graphical interface.

Have you tried running Visual Studio on Wine?
Microsoft Office installs and runs, but is unstable as fuck under Wine.

I would pay to have full DX12 support in Linux

Why would I use Visual Studio?
What advantage does it offer compared to the tools available on Linux?

Easier to develop windows executables with

>MS Office
Who uses this in the lords year of 2018? Google docs are free and offer much better collab ability.
>Visual Studio
Never used in my life, there are plenty IDE options on debian. If you're that much of a MS fag, VS code is actually pretty good on it too.
>Video Games
There are shitload of Vidya on steam, more than I can ever play in my lifetime even if I stopped doing everything else right now. Linux is perfectly fine for gaming as long as you're not addicted to one specific game, or don't swallow advertising like a cheap whore.

If you're developing applications for windows then you should be using windows at the very least for testing.

You can make Android/iOS apps in C# (Xamarin) which is superior to Java.
You can test your apps in Android/iOS emulated environment.

Why would anyone want that? There is nothing worth using on Windows that can't be used on GNU. Do you expect people to actually use a disgusting mess like Powershell? LMAO.

Yes, that's what Windows 10 subsystem could be used for.

Microsoft are assholes about certain parts of the winapi. A legally sound mingw build only goes so far in terms of making windows apps.

Windows king of scene.
Linux use only on old pc and poorfags,

@68815177
commit suicide, pajeet

What is the point of Ubuntu under windows?

>offer much better collab ability.

lmao no

Except the vast majority of your customers will be running native windows. You're better off testing apps in a vm.

nerd cred

>@
I'm sorry. You have to be 18 or older to browse this board, sweetie.

Linux has far better CLI than Windows.
With Ubuntu subsystem you can use it and execute scripts on Windows files.

Compatibility is the only thing Windows has going for it, so they should just open source that so that wine and the like can be improved. If this hypothetical subsystem were to be a huge proprietary blob few would use it, considering it would most surely be filled with spyware and gimped support once they realize they could be making more money.

Linux has nicer command line tools and using a compatibility layer mean you don't have to deal with a resource hogging vm.

no u

This really. All my web dev stuff runs well on it, and being on LTSC, I don't have to worry about breakages or anything whatsoever. I don't need to reinstall anything ever again. It just werks.

>Who uses this in the lords year of 2018? Google docs are free and offer much better collab ability.
...and it's even more of a spyware behemoth than anything MS has put out so far

Games are pretty much a non-issue these days. And if I'm not developing Windows software why would I use Visual Studio?

i use office because of macros. they're pretty sweet.

>he gives obvious pajeetposts (You)s
you're the reason this board is so shit

Mobile app development without Java.

lol downvote vim + latex is better

You can already just install mingw. With Windows 10, the windows command window has been massively improved and it can now run even the most absurd ncurses interfaces.
The only reason I'd ever use Linux is for docker, without the slow-ass mounts on docker for windows, the reserved 2G of ram for the virtual machine and the fact that you have to enable hyper-v in the first place, thus turning your windows installation into a privileged virtual machine running on top of Hyper-V and being unable to run other virtual machines (like HAXM for Android).

Don't even mention the VS Android emulator or the new Windows Hypervisor Platform, they are both slow and buggy as shit.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-12-06 18-46-00.png (1366x768, 200K)

No
There's nothing good about windows, so that's the main problem.

Visual Studio Code is not Visual Studio, dude.
LibreOffice will never be Microsoft Office.
Minecraft runs better on Windows 10 via C++ edition. (fuck Java)

user, this is not minecraft. Minetest was written in C++ too.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-10-14 11-12-58.png (1366x737, 1.15M)

What the hell good for anything is a basic gimped-ass "Linux shell" with no low-level control? It's completely fucking useless, what's the point of this shit?

Yes, but we basically already have that. Wine and other emulation services.

>Microsoft Office
Hasn't been relevant since about 2010
>Visual Studio
Good god, no. Why would I want to use shit?
>Video games
Yes. I don't really play games, but we're doing good things with VFIO for native graphics performance in a VM.

>VSCodium

lmao epic

>>Microsoft Office
>Hasn't been relevant since about 2010

daily reminder that FOSSfriends UNIRONICALLY believe this

VS Code minus the telemetry
github.com/VSCodium/vscodium

Okay, I'm a freetard, but
1. Minetest is not the same experience as minecraft, and minecraft runs natively on Linux anyway so why include it for this?
2. I've never really had good experiences with LibreOffice. I actually use google docs since it's the best, easiest to use one I've seen and the integration with web stuff speeds up tasks. Yeah, "botnet", but there's nothing particularly private on there.
3. Vscodium: Neat. Never heard of that before. I don't like VSCode, but I'm sure there are people who that would be good for.

So basically it would be a compatibility layer that runs PowerShell and some Windows command line utilities? Would I use that? Absolutely not. PowerShell is already open source I don't use it.

This. Windows and everything about it is just shitty.

>What about Microsoft Office, Visual Studio and video games?
No. I can already use Libre Office, Emacs, and video games are children.

>mobile shit
>worst language
Cucked and Bluepilled. And you can't emulate iOS. You might be able to do a remote connect but that's probably not possible either.

epic!

>minecraft runs better on Windows 10
I mean, okay? I won't disagree with you on that, but... It's minecraft.

Monodevelop does the same thing on Linux. VS for Mac is a fork of Monodevelop.

I think the idea is to run linux programs, but yeah, I agree with you. Adding linux on top of windows doesn't fix any of my issues with using windows

I'm serious. I don't like libreoffice or openoffice, but I don't know anyone outside of Windows office workers (no reason not to use MS office if you have it) who still uses MS office. Everyone I know uses google docs, OSX Pages (again, it comes with OSX), or something else. MS Office hasn't been relevant in years because it hasn't had any advantage in years.

>not the same experience as minecraft
it's a better experience. Mod support is way better and is way more lightweight
>I've never really had good experiences with LibreOffice
I use it every day for work and the last time I had formatting issues was last year in one document, that I could fix by dragging the text boxes a little bit to the left.

>better experience
The point is mostly the modding community. Yeah, minetest has always been much faster, but it doesn't have (I have a friend who still plays this) FeedTheBeast or other large mod packs.
>Formatting issues
I just find it a bit hard to navigate. It's probably fine, I just wouldn't put it on par with another word processor because I think normies would have a hard time navigating it.

Oh you're talking about the Word precessor.
Yeah, tabbed mode exists.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-12-06 19-18-47.png (1366x734, 27K)

you might need it one day like you would a VM. The new win10 system is ultra comfy for developing .

not horrible but not good either

>Microsoft Office
Everyone at work uses google docs
I need office about once per year, and i have a windows vm installed for that purpose
>Visual Studio
I'll stick with emacs, thanks
>video games
all the games I care about either have a native linux port or work fine with wine

No. Why the fuck would I do that?

Attached: img4.jpg (634x357, 35K)

To run Windows apps flawlessly and be able to test Windows apps you develop without having to run a VM.

Yeah, the rest is good