Web development is a mess

Millions of small packages, new frameworks built every day, huge learning and re-learning curve, breaking changes, everyone is doing like he wants, browsers crashes more, mobile network bandwith is huge, tons of tools, transpilers, huge configurations, wasted days to just install, setup tools needed to run real tools, impossible to learn and follow everything, harder to find a frontend engineer, bad design and architecture, SPAs, microservices and other modern buzzwords everywhere, for simple feature 3 frameworks and 3MBs used, developers are not thinking, just copy pasting...

Attached: portrait-of-smiling-web-designer-working-on-draft-at-desk-in-office-MF3P30.jpg (1300x957, 164K)

Stop using js

What's the alternative?
I ask unironically. I want to get into webdev but I hate the amount of components you are apparently forced to use.

You're describing Javascript Fatigue, OP.

Or use it sparingly, with very few dependencies. Just vanilla js.

Understand what each dependency does and be constantly questioning them and removing what is not needed.

Also hope that WebAssembly saves us all.

I just do back end dev in Python so don't have to worry about the shitshow that is front end js
If I had to do both I'd have very little js like said here Although then I have to output HTML and not json which feels dirty
If it's complex enough just make a desktop app, fuck the web

Just use vuejs and stop installing every dependency you can find on github

I've been in the business around 10 years now and I agree. It seems like every year you need to learn everything all over again because a new framework/paradigm takes over.

Websites are worse than they have ever been. Barely any function at all without JavaScript and cookies enabled, they're all stealing your data and taking tons of bandwidth to do very basic things.

It's disgusting and I wish we could just go back to pure HTML. I'm great at JavaScript but when it comes to personal projects, I just do everything on the back end because I hate how it is now.

Vue is the only templating library that isn't a bloated clusterfuck trying to dictate every aspect of your project. +1 for this recommendation.

>web development
>huge learning curve
Normies are not allowed on this board.

You need to learn JavaScript (Which has so many quirks), whatever SPA framework you are using, HTML, CSS, backend language, database queries. Then there are unit tests for JS, backend, Selenium for automated testing and any environment setup you may have to do (At every company I've worked, the web developers also managed all of the dev/test servers). On top of that, the particulars of each browser and mobile devices.

I'd say that's a lot compared to most development jobs. Just because HTML is easy doesn't compensate for the massive stack of other skills required. Nobody has a job just writing HTML/CSS anymore.

Use Elm!

>he thinks any of that toddler tier shit is hard
Don't make me repeat myself.

Most of that isn't any easier than regular software development. There is still a shit ton to learn if you started from scratch. It also changes every other year.

I am in complete agreement; this is why I tend to mainly take desktop application jobs (for Windows and Linux) as the web is a complete spaghetti monstrosity circus show. You need to know at the minimum: HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, a server side language, a database language, and then whichever frameworks are hot and new on top of what I listed. Meanwhile, building an application in Qt or WinForms is so much more satisfying and straightforward than building anything for the web.

not only that, but security risks related to mass development options too...

And I forgot to mention administration. You need to know how to spin up a server, handle NGINX or Apache, know how DNS works, etc.

Web development = circus show let me say it again.

You aren't forced to use this shit at all. uMatrix blocks over half domain/script requests on plenty of sites and they continue working normally. Best example is the useless Google analytics.
Anyways, a site can exist without js. All you need is html and css. Nanochan works fine without any js.

> All you need is HTML and CSS.

Yes, a website with just text can exist; we are speaking of applications here.

>You aren't forced to use this shit at all
Wrong. Every company demands it. Unless you're strictly developing your own websites for your own use, then you won't escape it.

I just code in pure HTML (and PHP for backend) and write my own JS.

>every company demands it
Make a company that doesn't

The stuff in itself is easy but good luck finding updated resources and compatible shit.

Who the fuck needs a web developer nowadays? Shit like wix lets you build desktop and mobile sites with drag and drop. They also have a shitload of apps you can buy. From online stores to live chats, forums, search bar, SEO tools everything is drag and drop you don't need a single line of code to implement those. And that's just wix there's probably even better options out there.
That's everything 99% of businesses will ever need on their website.

html

niggerlicious