Is he right Jow Forums?

Is he right Jow Forums?

Attached: 1553212355.png (919x207, 40K)

>look mom I am trolling Jow Forums

Its not trolling its a legitimate question, has there been a video industry brain drain

No, image fidelity has much, much less to do with programming new graphics engines and more with displays and high refresh rate. and display technology is slower than software. future games will eventually incorporate more compute performance in their games to make them more interesting. maybe not this generation of consoles. But the next one will definitely utilise more compute perf. AMD's GCN arch has been developed 10-15 years too early. Ray tracing will also make it into consoles at a later date but the sillicon costs is way too high for such a low margin product.

I think it's more greed by bigger companies (lootboxes/dlc) and general laziness . Plenty of good ideas out there that end up burning up into giant fuckups (spore, no man's sky for examples)

I'm sure there's still a lot of talent in the industry. Problem is, consumers have shown time and again that you can sell them unfinished buggy messes with barely any consequences. Why would somebody pour resources into optimizing a game when the buyer doesn't care?
Indie games are a different topic. Especially game engines like Unity try as hard as they can to convince people that you don't need any programming knowledge to make a game. Which is true. However making a game and making a good game are two different things.

>white

>the buyer doesn't care?
The buyer does care. That's why high profile games follow a pattern.

Battlefied N can't decide to move in a different direction because their operation costs millions and makes them millions. Mayor changes and drops in sales are rightfull scary. Unless people get sick of the genre/game they'll keep being a one trick pony.

Indie Devs are a entirely different animal. They already have 0 profits and can't compete with battlefield anyway which is why you get games like minecraft. Be gratefull that such a game can overtake triple a games in the consumer's mind.

buy brigador
buy underrail

yea he is. talented people are much like musical artist and you won't find the good ones when looking at all this mainstream trash.

vr is a niche which has much room for potential and development and it engages many of those talents to try something new

No. Not at all.

Programming ability isn't relevant to game design anymore.

So the best games I've played where thrown together on licensed engines by folks who knew just enough.

I'm sure the "brain drain" has more to do with shitty wages in the gaming industry coupled with even worse working hours. Smart people aren't gonna crunch for your shitty sjw laden rehash of last years shooter for 50k a year when they can make 6 figures working 40 hours a week in some other area development.

The only dipshits left working for triple aaa studio's are bottom barrel code monkeys who can't do anything else or poor yohng ones who haven't had the passion burned out of them.

people develop games for money, not for passion

AAA companies are hiring more people based on their race than their competency. At least in the west. Japan doesn't have this problem which is why they make the games with the best gameplay.

Gamedev is shit because a lot CS muh videogames.

>japan
>best gameplay
lol

>best games I've played
Which ones?

I mean kinda? You don't need a lot of math anymore. That's not something bad. In the early 80s only genuises could make somewhat good games. You had to be creative and a good game designer AND be good at math. No wonder so many games back then sucked. Why would you bother with math when you can just design your game in an engine that does everything for you?

I don't know what's so appealing about the gaming industry when you listen to all the horror stories about 80 hour work weeks when the release gets close.

Yes. Japan makes better AAA gameplay than the west does. Why do you think Nintendo, Sega, and Capcom have been in the game since the 80s?

Yes.
The passion in mainstream gaming is gone and indie devs can't fully replace it. The gaming community once had a feeling of brotherhood, commitment... that you participate on something truly extraordinary, something ahead of time. We were living the future. It's all gone now.

Attached: SHOCK015.gif (640x480, 72K)

Honest question, where did the practice of 70 hour week crunch time come from? It seems very inefficient and wasteful.

Minecraft.

Its only inefficient if your managers aren't retarded

I doubt it. VG industry is the most profitable entertainment format at this point so the big companies offer generous conditions and bonuses to retain talent. Also it's a lot more spread out geographically. If you want to make it big in VR and iCars you need to move to commiefornia.

>VG industry is the most profitable entertainment format
Yeah but we're not comparing it to other forms of entertainment we're comparing it to all other forms of software

>If you want to make it big in VR and iCars you need to move to commiefornia.
People say the exact same thing about game development and they'd probably be more correct

Pic is bullshit because, as a general rule, nobody stays in game industry for long. It's a fucking meat grinder that takes in wide-eyed fresh grads and over the course of 3-5 years turns them into burned out cynics addicted to this or that substance. Then they leave.

all the bugmen are off doing cryptocurrency stuff, no idea what that post is talking about

There's so many libraries and engines now that you don't need a company to make a good video game anymore. And because of that big companies can't take any risks, they only produce tried and true crap. And you don't need rockstar programmers for that, so they naturally moved on.

Only the top 10 percentile of video game studios actually earn a profit dipshit

You may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like.

Attached: 1528202166115.png (180x163, 7K)

The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads

The computer industry is the only industry that is more fashion-driven than women's fashion.

>VG industry
>generous conditions and bonuses
maybe with an underpaid base salary lmao

Super programmers aren't responsible for profits, the loot box skin artists are.

1 person working 70 hours a week can do more than 2 people working 40 hours a week.

Jow Forums is always right

It is pointless to make a developer stay longer than 8 hours a day, because they will still only do 8 hours worth of work in an 8 + x hour day.
> t. every single study done on this subject you unemployed fuck