Any technical writers here?

Any technical writers here?

Attached: 1543286376609.jpg (2048x1365, 712K)

I was one for five years or so. What?

Didja like it? Got some book recs?

It was ok. Pretty dead end within itself though. However, easy springboard into process writing/management/compliance and/or business analysis.

For books, unironically the Microsoft style guide. It's not exactly prose for the ages, and you won't produce a great novel through it, but it informs damn near every piece of contemporary technical style.

Otherwise, standards. Basically, pick a governance body or standards body and look up its style guide.

>pick a governance body or standards body and look up its style guide.

For example? Not sure what you mean exactly.

Tech writing is all about getting/interviewing to derive/researching content, making that content reasonable-human-readable, sensical, and flowing in a logical manner. Then you ensure that content is consistent within itself and across all content in your store. You do this part by having defined (or picked) a formal style guide, and by following the requirements laid out by whatever best practise your client or company or whatever has chosen. Like ISO, for example. Or NIST, or (ISC)2. Whatever.

It's also a profession you can't just step into, unless you've got something like a BA in English, journalism, or similar; or the same sort of experience/training that guarantees your general writing ability and grammarian background. Certification in Tech Writing is even better.

Thanks.

I work in a company that is trying to digitize, structure, and tag standards and regulations from all relevant issuers so that we can track changes and identify only the requirements that are relevant for our customers. My work for the past three or so years have been to find ways to turn PDFs into structured data.

I'm very curious to know more about the internal development process for making standards, so if anyone have worked with this please let me know.

For instance, it seems to me that a lot of standards are drafted in Word and converted to PDF for publishing, is this common or are other tools used? Also, why do you guys so often make pointless changes such as replacing words with other synonyms or making pointless arbitrary changes that have absolutely no impact on the requirement and seem to be done just to change something?

The last part might be because they are using a controlled language, such as Simplified Technical English. STE defines a dictionary of allowed words, and tries to give each word one and only one meaning to reduce misunderstanding. For example, instructions say to "cut the power" and some tech literally cuts the cord with scissors and gets shocked, so STE explicitly defines the word "cut" to mean the literal cutting with a tool, and disallows using it for anything else. To a native English speaker who is familiar with the local jargon, this probably seems pointless, but it aids non-native speakers and translation to other languages.

clear and concise prose

I too was one for a few years and agree it is a dead end. I used my writing skills in editing the /cyb/ FAQ.

lol, got a pretty good laugh there imagining some knobhead with scissors fucking about in the server room

This is great information, thank you.

Here's another one from a presentation on the Russian equivalent of STE.

Attached: simplified-russian-s1000d.png (966x685, 594K)

Did you use CaseComplete?

Never heard about it until now. But it seems like you have to put the requirements into the system your self? Say I have an ISO standard, how would that work?

Not sure, I could perhaps get a job with a company that uses it. It exports projects into Word or Excel templates and has a ton of commands to essentially program it. Once you learn it you modify the templates you need within CaseComplete (using the $syntax), affecting the way .docx or whatever is formatted.

Is it a good thing for part time? I already work full time

Trust me, that stuff is already way obsolete. The way the industry is moving is towards big data, cloud solutions and machine learning. For small companies word and excel are good enough, but for large ones it just doesen't cut it. The entire industry is more than ripe for change and it is coming.

So more jobs lost?

Well, yes. But personally I think we're also going to see an increase in government enforcement, as well as more bloat in terms of legislation, so this coupled with challenges in terms of copyright and the incredibly complex nature of compliance will mean that there will probably be a lot of jobs in the next decade or two at least. It's just that it won't be one guy with spreadsheets or IT departments trying to make their own solutions any more.

Well not sure how much lawyerisms are there in tech manuals and troubleshooting sections. They have to be, to an extent. Everything after that just ruins the field.