Do you own a UPS, Jow Forums?

Do you own a UPS, Jow Forums?

Is it ok to go cheap if you just want to protect yourself from power outages? I only need something that will give me 5 minutes to safely shut down.

Attached: apcups.jpg (1500x1500, 174K)

>Is it ok to go cheap if you just want to protect yourself from power outages?
Check your power consumption, check the specs of the UPS

I have a 6 year old CyberPower one I got off Amazon for like $130. Still works great. Helped me survive several power outages in college and saved my ass on numerous occasions. Just make sure whatever you get can handle your PSU.

Same. Got an 825AVR for somewhere under $100, and plugged my tower, router and modem into it.

Cyber Power and APC are OK.

TrippLite is trash.

Attached: trash.jpg (194x259, 7K)

Yes i own 2 actually, pic related

Attached: usp-reddit-downloadpng.png (1200x1430, 192K)

Got one almost the exact same as that. Got thrown out at a previous job of mine. Fished it out and the IT guy told me it was brand new, let me keep it. Works damn well

I actually have the UPS in that pic. I stole it from work. APC makes great stuff

CyberPower 1325VA master race

Attached: c857a643ae5d6cbe0426c8507ca3def5.1500.jpg (640x480, 24K)

Im considering getting one for my audio equipment as i hear it helps get rid of line noise

no, but i really should invest in one. power outages are a rare occurrence here but i'd like to be prepared

Ups blow, kill your pc. seem nice idea

They are really nice to have so your computer doesn't go down with outages. Also I have a server on that I use bind dns on and when it goes down I forget why my internet doesn't work until it dawns on me. That is until I got it a ups.

>Do you own a UPS
Yes
>Is it ok to go cheap
Yes

>Living in a third world nigger country where power goes out daily and a thunderstorm causes every machine in your house to explode.

Attached: cat face.jpg (736x736, 84K)

Are you a poo repairman who lives in an area with frequent outages? Then it's a must for bios updates and such.

this is not necessary for the average person.

my laptop has one build in.

i've had this for about 7 years. still keeps everything going for at least 10 minutes when the power goes out, which is all i need. it used to last over an hour.

Eaton?

Nice to know. I've got my computer and stereo hooked up to it. When I do a bench test and crank up the stereo it doesn't even hiccup.

I've only had mine for under 2 years. Only a few outages since then.

I have 2, APC BackUps 1300's or 1000's one for my tower and one for my router, modem, rPi DNS server, Xbox, and Switch. When they start yelling about batteries I just order the RBC pack from APC and slap them in and they are good to go. Either that or run down to Interstate Battery store and they will sell you a matching part from their stock of bateries.

dude you can use a USB charging bank as rpi UPS

You only need a cheap one to prevent data loss from shit like using rapid mode on an SSD.

pretty much what I do, it's just that the power bank is plugged into the UPS because the plug was closest. If i had one of the newer UPS's, the thing would have USB on it by default and I wouldn't even need a separate charging bank for the rPi.

Stop being as ass. Power is a single point of failure anywheres in the world. If you don't protect yourself, eventually you'll get fucked.
t. First-world resident

Replace the batteries. Get them at any auto parts store (motorcycle battery)

Not really.
Not all UPS are created equal. The first thing you should do after plugging it in is simulate an outage (yank the cord from the socket) and see if your equipment stays running without any sign of power loss.
A lot of cheap UPS don't have a fast enough failover time for your computer or other devices and will cause them to reboot. If it does this, send it back and get a refund.

>one for my router, modem, rPi DNS server, Xbox, and Switch
Do you have trouble reading?

Why would you plug a separate battery pack into a UPS? I'm sure it costs more than an rpi PSU and I don't think keeping Li batteries fully charged all the time is a good idea.

>losing all of your unsaved progress because you didn't have a chance to safely shut down

Attached: 1502222483638.jpg (247x404, 26K)

>pay 200 USD for a battery goy, not you could by a generator.

here at my place power outages happen maximally ones in year so I think that UPS will no help much. it's battery will probably die earlier than power outage happen.

just use a laptop it has inbuild ups

laptop is bullshit
iPad is better

Yep. Used to have some government contracted APC UPS my dad gave me - that shit lasted five or so years before the battery needed replaced. I bought their Back-UPS BX1300G from Best Buy and it's been smooth sailing until the piece of shit started beeping like I was about to get mortared, saying it needs a new battery already. It's been almost a full year since I've had it, so I'm looking into the warranty right now, actually... what a coinkydink.

So yeah, I can't really say anything else since this is only my second UPS kek, but fpbp. Since there are cheap PSUs, I suppose cheap UPSs can't be bad, but maybe that would make it even more critical to not cheap out on one.

No country has an electrical system not subject to dangerous voltage fluctuations.

I work at a TV station with Tripplite running racks loaded with computers, DVRs, and audio amplifiers. Stuff runs 24/7 and the Tripplites have done fine.

Tripplite consumer gear is shit compared to the consumer gear from APC or Cyberpower.