What's the GIMP of video editing?

What's the GIMP of video editing?
i.e. absolutely nonprofit, yet stable and feature-rich.

OBS is the GIMP of video recording.
Blender is the GIMP of 3D rendering.
Inkbunny is the GIMP of furfaggotry.
What about video editing?

Attached: 1472892584562.jpg (126x97, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjyuVPBuorqIhlqZtoIvnAVQ3x18sNev4
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Blender#Interface_text
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Kdenlive

>stable

Blender

Shortcut. I like it and it just werks.

Seconding Blender.

when the developers for blender learn how to make a user interface that isn't a total abomination please come back and let me know

git gud

>a user interface that isn't a total abomination
Then it wouldn't be the GIMP of video editing.

PiTiVi is comfy.

And ardour is the GIMP of DAWs.

Green is my pepper for video?

OBS is just a graphical front-end for ffmpeg.

there's a ton of shitty unusable video editors. take your pick

Davinci resolve

Windows Movie Maker, perhaps.

That's the shittiest video editor I can think of, but there are probably shittier ones.

None, editing software sucks. All of it.
I use nuke to edit videos. There's also natron as the linux copy, but i have no idea if it can do anything, nuke runs on linux too.

But it isn't free.

you're just a retard
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjyuVPBuorqIhlqZtoIvnAVQ3x18sNev4

>OBS is the GIMP of video recording.
ffmpeg
>What's the GIMP of video editing?
shotcut
lwks
blender
avidemux

Blender's UI is efficient to work with for many sorts of editing rather than designed to be picked up by Adobe users.

The only video editor that's really viable to use on Linux, the only one that's powerful enough to get stuff done and the only one that's any kind of a standard is kdenlive, despite what people will tell you, it's widely used, the only video editor with the features pros need and the only one that has any kind of codec support, Davinci Resolve would be the go to choice but they can't get their shit together and get proper codec support in the free version and obviously it isn't libre software

The only video editor that's really viable to use on Linux, the only one that's powerful enough to get stuff done and the only one that's any kind of a standard is kdenlive, despite what people will tell you, it's widely used, the only video editor with the features pros need and the only one that has any kind of codec support, Davinci Resolve would be the go to choice but they can't get their shit together and get proper codec support in the free version and obviously it isn't libre software

Bullshit, Blenders UI is infamously terrible, I know people who have to teach that God awful abomination of a piece of software and they all consistently regard it as awful, if you use Blender kindly stop being a faggot and install kdenlive

Blender's UI is great. The learning curve is just very steep.

Then it isn't good as a pro tool, if you need to relearn everything it's the problem of the program not the user, and it isn't a good UI, many people study use of these softwares for years and then use them for many more years, you expect them to relearn their shit, fuck no

literal baby duck syndrome

There's an entire animated movie done with Blender. You're just bad.

Attached: next-gen-netflix-animation.jpg (1280x720, 201K)

>Blender's UI is great
delusional
you spend much more time learning just to be as efficient (in the best case) as other software
Softimage used to have great UI, blender is attrocious

Baby Duck Syndrome is a natural consequence of wanting to get shit done, if your just messing around with a video editor for small projects go for it use Blender, but if you actually need to get shit done you can't just hop to a program with a completely different UI, blender is the DVORAK of editing software, you can switch to it, it could be better but you have to relearn everything and if you ever want to use anything else you can't do shit

What are you people gonna cry about once 2.8 is out? Can't cry about the UI anymore, so what do you choose next?

There are hundreds of animated movies drawn frame by frame by hand using no computer software, does that make it the best or most efficient way of doing it, no, and that example is bad because at least that gives the end product a style, blender doesn't it's just shit

Yeah but when I think of GIMP I don't think "free" I think "shitty" since that's GIMP's most defining trait.

looks like shit kek

Exactly right, Blenders UI sucks, but even if we are to assume it is amazing you'd still have to relearn everything and relearn everything again when you have to use a more normal program again for whatever reason, as a fellow user gave as an example, it's like the DVORAK of video editors

lightworks

GIMP is literally on par with Photoshop, the program is absolutely fine and is known for being such

>it's like the DVORAK of video editors
Potentially more efficient and better on your hands?

Savage

Little to no efficiency gain, takes forever to get good with it and will turn you into a tard when you try to use other people's shit

>Inkbunny is the GIMP of furfaggotry.

Attached: 1454470484210.gif (350x262, 1.75M)

>the program is absolutely fine and is known for being such
lol

The key difference is that frame-by-frame hand drawn animation was done because there was no other option. It was literally the only way to do animation.
Nobody at Next Gen was forced to use Blender and they surely had the budget to use any other bullshit. Yet they used Blender and made a movie that looks just as good as and Illumination or DreamWorks flick.
You don't like Blender's UI, that's great. It still is a good tool.

Cracked adobe premiere

>and will turn you into a tard when you try to use other people's shit
Yup, since I started using Blender I can't use Maya anymore.
Since I used Linux I completely forgot how to use Windows.
Since I drive a car I lost the ability to ride my bike.
You're a fucking retard.

>can't cry about the UI anymore
we'll see, hopefully that's true
>so what do you choose next?
animation
blender is nowhere near even maya, now if you ever worked with marionette, that's a whole new universe

You learnt this shit previously, someone starting off with 3d modelling should never use Blender as it's not used ANYWHERE by ANYONE, chances are the tards who made that shitty movie your point to made this mistake

Exactly, if Blender reworks the UI so it's actually fucking good I will switch to it, but as it stands it's NOTHING compared to Maya or any other 3d modelling tool

>someone starting off with 3d modelling should never use Blender
Blender is perfectly fine for this. You need to learn 3D modeling either way. That's a much larger and harder task than learning any programs UI. Learning to use any UI efficiently takes like 1-2 weeks once you do know modeling. The workflow will be largely the same.

Just pirate Sony Vegas and stop being a faggot

Attached: 1537482613142.jpg (677x1024, 58K)

Adobe cucks last resort.

Fag

Doesn't work with GNU.

>actually
>actually
>actually
>actually
>actually

i do want to know how to do basic editing with it though, i've tried things like kdenlive/openshot/etc, but they're unstable as shit

>stable
haha
>feature rich
HAHAHAHAHHA

Blender is nowhere near that crap.

Attached: .png (345x255, 23K)

>sets it to 1080p
>sets it to xvid because compatibility
ok, guess it's ok for a master if it's really high bandwidth
>"we have a bitrate set to 6000 [kbps] for the video, that should be fine for any high-quality video that we're doing, should be no problem at all, should look great"
i guess for your tutorial videos it'll be ok, but dang, recommending 1080p xvid at 6Mb/s as a default master output is just silly

>blended gimpsuits actually believe this

Attached: D165083D7F964DD189742C5C19E0AE77.gif (445x247, 2.62M)

i can't check but im fairly sure it's an old video
and you don't have to copy him mindlessly, tho all else - the video editing itself is a great tutorial from him

you export with the ffmpeg output
with h.264 lossless and flac
then you use ffmpeg alone on that as you see fit

also on LUNIX you should make the UI font bold
it looks way less shittier
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Blender#Interface_text

>he needs PS to make memes

Attached: 1543911588213.jpg (897x724, 82K)

Doesn't yet work on Linux and wine, plus some prefer free software programs like kdenlive, stop being faggot stealing shit and using software from big companies and use a nice piece of libre software built by the community for the community

i'm a retard that makes bonbibonkers edits to cope with existence.

the only video editing software worth using on linux is flowblade, the other ones are just pure trash, kdenlive doesn't even support resolutions that aren't multiples of 8 in width and it slow as fuck and keeps crashing. all the other ones are even worse. use flowblade.

blender's UX is weird as fuck but it's 100% consistent. Once you've mentally trained yourself to think in that way, it's usable. Like being left handed.

based

Blender foundation actually makes movies to improve the software, every new movie concept requires a previously un-written feature.

blender has by far the worst UI of all video editors and it's bloated as fuck and very prone to crashing

I've used it for years and never seen a single crash, I don't have a windows build though. The alternatives (libres) like kdenlive and openshot/shotcut all use the same MLT core library which is notorious for being unstable as fuck, either way you're SOL.

I think there was a CLI video editor that used MLT too.

i will concede that MLT is a piece of shit, but as a video editor, i find flowblade superior personally, especially with it's g'mic integration

Blender.
Blender will ultimately end up being the ultimate tool for 2D and 3D art, static of animated or realtime.

Blender is a good choice if you simply must use Linux, if not it's absolute crap

ffmpeg is more like the imagemagick of video recording. OBS is an appropriate analog for GIMP.

When was the last time you used blender? 2009?

it never crashes fgt blame your os