Why does Jow Forums like this piece of shit?

why does Jow Forums like this piece of shit?

Attached: 1024px-Xfce_logo.svg.png (1024x1024, 263K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zGxwbhkDjZM
github.com/grassmunk/Chicago95
gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/1074
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-KDE-KWin-EGLStreams-POC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>X11
>GTK
It's shit though. Who said I liked it?

it just works
/thread

You can make an ultra comfy Win95 rice. Scrot related not mine.

Attached: 147098873-orig-orig_3_orig.png (1100x618, 163K)

It's called Chicago95 for anyone wondering.

>You can make an ultra comfy Win95 rice.

stop spouting that nonsense before newbs start to believe it.

I love XFCE because ONCE YOU GET ALL THE LITTLE SHIT straightened out, it's perfect for my tiny brain. And I love the little workspaces down there where I can put stuff and it's there when I need it without having to look at tabs because ain't nobody got time for that.

youtube.com/watch?v=zGxwbhkDjZM

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-07_06-28-38.png (774x512, 53K)

They haven't found enlightenment yet

It's not a bloated mess that needs a GPU to render itself like GNOME, it's not unstable like KDE, it's very easy to use and get used to (again, unlike KDE), and design decisions make more sense than GNOME.
Basically, other DEs either have more flaws or worse flaws.

>ugly
>ancient tech
>still not that lightweight
just say no

Link for those interested: github.com/grassmunk/Chicago95

Attached: comfort.jpg (400x299, 18K)

It's like KDE just better in every way

Attached: xfce.png (1600x900, 267K)

Why wouldn't you want to offload rendering to the GPU? It's not like you ever use a machine without one.

pls hide this

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-07_06-36-11.png (825x130, 13K)

I don't want to use a DE heavier than 4 OSs combined that needs to use a dedicated GPU just to open the software menu at more than 4 frames per second. GNOME is heavier than an average videogame for fucks sake.

oh yea true I just keep forgetting about it

>It's not like you ever use a machine without one.

my 10 year old Asus EEE PC 2G Surf is crying now. I hope you're happy.

It's very lightweight, customizable, modular, and extremely stable. Oh, and the mascot is cute too. Most of the default software is pretty good--I honestly can't believe Thunar is pretty much the only fucking file manager on Linux with a fucking decent tree view implementation (too bad it doesn't have per-folder settings). The UI is clean and usable. It's pretty much the only DE I've ever used that wasn't unbelievably janky in terms of bugs, performance, and general stability.

It's not without its problems, though. It's probably one of the most neglected DEs in terms of development, which is a damn shame. The focus on a super lightweight DE with a classic interface can sometimes work to its detriment--for example, the need to install a separate compositor since the default one is shit (I THINK there have been improvements to the compositor somewhat recently so this may no longer be valid). There's a couple of really annoying issues that keep me from using it, though, such as the poor multi-monitor support.

Because it isn't fucking KDE.

I am. You should feel bad for using a DE with that machine.

>I want my cpu to do everything even though I have chip that excels at graphics
I'm sorry you're retarded.

>It's very lightweight
pls stop perpetuating this lie. It's really not.

themes are a mess in linux
you get gtk2 theme doesn't work in gtk3
you make it work with gtk3, it looks different in qt
I have to use this adwaita shit, I'd use redmond back in the days

Why are you so insistent and autistic about this?

Out of the common DEs available, it's the 2nd lowest in resource usage next to LXDE/LXQT. Of course, it doesn't compare to whatever autistic 10KB rice you have. Or, if your angle is being a KDE shill, don't give me some autism about how "dude KDE is so lightweight these days!" either.

>Why are you so insistent and autistic about this?
because it fucking true. 100mb of ram is not worth all the problems with xfce. You even mention some of them yourself.
If light weight is very important use a WM, else use a proper DE. The xfce meme needs to die.

I don't have a dedicated GPU on any of my laptops nor would I have it if I were to make a non-gaming desktop PC. You're the one who's retarded.

"100mb of ram is not worth all the problems with xfce" is not the same as "xfce isn't lightweight" you autistic retard.

>all the problems with xfce
Xfce is the most functional of the stable DEs. It literally has just a couple of issues. The only other options are KDE and MATE.

>dedicated GPU
no one said anything about dedicated. Intel chips run gnome beautifully.

>very light weight
> ram usage within the same magnitude as both kde and gnome
If you actually investigated things yourself instead of just regurgitating memes, you would know that the distro makes more of a impact than the DE. XFCE use more ram on ubuntu than kde on debian.

>stable != nearly dead development
silly user

>Not even a wayland compositor
That's a MAJOR issue with XFCE.

But we don't. It's shit.

>intel chips run gnome beautifully.
I have one, they don't.
>stable != nearly dead development
stable == doesn't crash out of nowhere like KDE

Wayland isn't even used yet outside of less than 1.5% people experimenting with it. It won't become a standard in the next 8 years.

It'll take literally years of effort to try and get a Wayland compositor into an acceptable state.
XFCE better start soon if they're not going to be left even further in the dust, but I doubt that's going to end up happening.

>ram usage (particularly on boot) is the only measure of resource usage/performance

Neck yourself. And while yes, KDE has drastically lowered its memory usage, no, it's still generally around 100-150MB more than XFCE, and it has other performance issues outside of just memory usage. I know you're probably quoting that one dumb video/reddit post, but pretty much every other benchmark out there puts XFCE at ~350MB on boot.

There's still a fuckton of architectural flaws with Wayland. With the XFCE team already stretched fairly thin, there's little sense in developing a Wayland compositor when the big boys like GNOME STILL don't have a complete Wayland desktop, and they're still trying to figure out shit like color picking, screensharing, copy paste, etc.

>There's still a fuckton of architectural flaws with Wayland
Would you please explain what those are?
I'll let you know that I'm somewhat of an expert on this.
>color picking
Are you talking about redshift-type shit? Extensions exist for that.
>screensharing
Many compositor specific extensions exist for this, but then there is also xdg-desktop-portal.
>copy paste
Copy paste has always worked, idiot.

>XFCE better start soon
Why would they need to when they can take a compositor from another project, if necessary. Wayland itself as a protocol won't become recommended or standardized in the next 5 years, at which time it will be only usable on KDE and GNOME.
If you want Wayland this hard then just use KDE.

~200MB difference in RAM usage on boot is irrelevant

>Qubes
Do you have some illegal opinions to hide, user?

>illegal opinions
I never use social media, and Jow Forums gives zero fucks about my opinions so no not really

>when they can take a compositor from another project, if necessary
There is a lot that goes into writing a wayland compositor. Even if they use a compositor-library (which they should), it's still no easy task.
>Wayland itself as a protocol won't become recommended or standardized in the next 5 years
What in the fuck are you talking about? It's already standardised, and it's already recommenced to get your tearing ass off of X.
>If you want Wayland this hard then just use KDE.
I'm just saying that XFCE is already ancient shit, and it's on track to being even more ancient shit. I already use a Wayland compositor, and it's not KDE or GNOME.

>It's already standardised
It's used on less than 2% desktop and on 0% enterprise GNU/Linux instances.
nVidia doesn't even have proper support for it yet which means half the desktop users can't use Wayland.
It's not a default option for major distributions.
It's not there yet and it won't be anytime soon.
>I already use a Wayland compositor
Hello, 1%. You're irrelevant.

>It's not a default option for major distributions.
Fedora seems pretty fucking major to me.

>Are you talking about redshift-type shit? Extensions exist for that.
No, as in a color picker.
gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/1074

>Many compositor specific extensions exist for this, but then there is also xdg-desktop-portal.
Last I checked, no application actually supported this and partial support was only implemented recently via Pipewire. I'm pretty sure most 3rd party screen capture applications still don't work either.

>Copy paste has always worked, idiot.
Not between Wayland and XWayland applications.

Attached: picker.png (645x398, 34K)

lxqt with kwin is more fully featured.
the defaultlxqt menu is searchable; in xfce you have to use whisker menu for it, and it screentears like a bitch besides.

>No, as in a color picker.
Of course that doesn't fucking work. It goes completely against the wayland model.
Clients have no fucking idea where they're placed or anything about any other client.
An extensions to offload this to the compositor would be needed.
>Last I checked, no application actually supported this and partial support was only implemented recently via Pipewire
It's recent work.
>Not between Wayland and XWayland applications.
Compositors are able to (and do) sync the clipboards between native wayland clients and Xwayland.

>screen tearing on Xfce
Not an issue on Mint's xfce, which is the only good Xfce implementation.

Then why Qubes? I've tried it once, had a little bit of fun and then asked myself: Why bother?

it's developers fault for not writing their program in gtk2

...Okay, so, in other words, there's still work to be done for there to be a fully functioning Wayland environment. Which is, you know, what I originally said. There's still a number of things that need to be worked out as a result of Wayland's security model. There are still a lot of open bugs out there. Some of this falls on the application developers, yeah. I also forgot to mention the whole Nvidia situation, which seems to be going nowhere fast--the unified memory allocator project seems to have stalled, and it's starting to seem like it's going to turn into a clusterfuck of compositors needing a GBM backend and an EGLStreams backend.

I'm not saying it can't be done, and to be clear, I'm not shitting on Wayland. I fucking hate X and the troglodytes that cling to that shitty mess of an antiquated display server, anything would be an improvement over X quite frankly.

>a clusterfuck of compositors needing a GBM backend and an EGLStreams backend
Most compositors, including the reference compositor Weston, have taken a stance to not support EGLStreams in their upstream codebases.
Even without it being tied to Nvidia shit, the rendering model does not fit at all, and does not play nicely with the rest of the rendering infrastructure that already exists.

only thing i don't like about it is the screentearing, it seems like i cannot have screen composition enabled and have a tear free screen with xfce :\

I'm speaking mostly with regards to this:
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-KDE-KWin-EGLStreams-POC
If I recall, the Kwin devs' stand was "we won't implement a backend ourselves, but we're okay with Nvidia does the work for us", which appears to currently be the case.

It's below gnome in bloat and above i3 in usability.

Everything is below GNOME in bloat. KDE is below GNOME in bloat and somehow it has twice the feature set.

Everything is above GNOME in performance too

As a negro muslim oriental male, MacOS is better than linux.