Raspberry Pi Multimedia

Does anyone here have a Raspberry Pi 3 B+? What are your experiences with it?

>1.4GHz 64-bit quad-core processor
>wifi-lan
>ethernet
>bluetooth
raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-3-model-b-plus/

I've been wanting to get one specifically for internet, movies, and music. I have a big tower PC I use for anything else like Photoshop, spreadsheets, and other stuff. I'm not a gamer so I don't need anything power heavy.

Attached: Raspberry Pi.webm (692x522, 183K)

Other urls found in this thread:

libreplanet.org/wiki/Hardware/Raspberry_Pi
loverpi.com/collections/renegade/products/libre-computer-board-roc-rk3328-cc?variant=2817846607885
store.vamrs.com/)
github.com/christinaa/rpi-open-firmware
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

get an asus tinker board, it has better performance than the rpi and you can install a free as in freedom os in it.

Have you ever used a Raspberry Pi?

RPi's use a "free as in freedom" OS as standard.
You're a downie.

Yes, I have one.
The raspberry pi requires nonfree software in order to start, that means you cant install a fully free as in freedom os.

>requires proprietary blobs
U wot m8

You have old info it seems.

>Yes, I have one.
>The raspberry pi requires nonfree software in order to start, that means you cant install a fully free as in freedom os.
You don't have one

Yes I do lol, and the version without the propietary blobs is not that stable desu.
libreplanet.org/wiki/Hardware/Raspberry_Pi
I will probably sell my rpi and buy this lil guy instead
loverpi.com/collections/renegade/products/libre-computer-board-roc-rk3328-cc?variant=2817846607885

It's amusing that Pi proponents don't even understand how their boards actually work. It's the VideoCore "GPU" that's the main processor there, not the ARM cores. It's running closed firmware. Your "open" GPU drivers are just a shim for the blob running on the VC since all the magic happens there, in a black box.

Is raspbian officially 64-bit yet, as in the first image that a newbie grabs?

I use Windows 10. Why would I care about your "freedom" OS lol?

/diy/ is a much better place for this.

The wifi only hits 1MBps reliably, usually. Sometimes 500KBps, sometimes 2MBps for brief bursts. It's not impressive.

USB ports are all one data line, so an external HD and using ethernet or a separate wifi chip would limit you to ~10 MBps sustained on both. Not the RPi's fault, USB 2.0's always seem to saturate around 20 MBps.

The Pi 2B and Pi 3 have decent performance. One problem with the 3 more than the 2, the voltage sensitivity. The three is stupidly sensitive to undervolting, though you can usually run fine if it occasionally warns.

Some SD cards don't work well in it. I had to overclock the SD connection to get one of my samsung 32gb to stop failing to read, only time I had to do that.

It's decent as a system, but don't expect great things.1080p youtube usually works, 720p is more reliable. Bluetooth connection sound issues can actual cause really bad framerates and 100% cpu usage.

Development community is better, but I don't program casually. You can use the I2C or SPI interfaces for analog chips or other breakouts.

>make thread for people who own Rpi to tell me about their experiences
>masturbation over other systems ensues

I seriously don't give a fuck about your memes. If you haven't at least watched movies or surfed internet with your raspberry pi, I don't care to hear from you.

Attached: 1539719127982.jpg (584x575, 50K)

just use ur fockin phone

>The wifi only hits 1MBps reliably, usually. Sometimes 500KBps, sometimes 2MBps for brief bursts. It's not impressive.
Literally faster than my wired internet connection so that won't be a problem.

>undervoltage
I read that on adafruit and they have a beefed up wall adapter that fixes the issue when under load.

>720p is better
That's native for the screen I'd be using at least.

>SD problems
I've been reading about that. I don't think it'll be a problem since I'd be getting something that's known to be compatible without issues.

>bluetooth sucking cycles
I wondered about that. I don't own anything that would use it though.

>/diy/ is a much better place for this.

Indeed. Thank you!

I don't even own a phone; cell or landline. Everything is e-mail, snail mail, Jow Forums, or face-to-face.

Attached: 1539728949328.jpg (640x480, 228K)

Works fine. Streaming is decent on a 3. Minimal frame loss. Browsing is ok if the page isn't heavy. Chromium sucks on it. A 3B+ would be better. I haven't tried mine out as a desktop yet

The bluetooth was some default misconfigure with my audio adapter. I had to force it to use the normal "high quality" audio settings and it went to normal. The OpenGL has come to the point where it doesn't screw up everything if you turn it on, but there's still drawing issues. I wish they would fix the OpenGL support. OpenGL ES works fine. SDL works blah blah.

>Buy it to use as a retrobox for PVM
>RGB output via GPIO can only work at interger divisors of 19.2MHz
>Makes getting accurate CRT timings impossible
Literally just easier and more reliable to use a Wii

Attached: 1538753402673.png (374x374, 137K)

My problem is that most USB wall outlets don't give enough power for anything. Watching an h.264/5 encoded HD video is practically impossible especially over WiFi.
Of course they sell their (((compatible power adapter))) that supplies the correct power, but what's the point of using MicroUSB for power if nothing commonly available works?

Pi are dogshit in every way except community support.
It's entire world is ran trough a single USB 2.0 bus and everything shares bandwidth from the one bus even the gigabit Ethernet nic.
Here it is 2018 and there still too cheap to give you at atleast a single USB 3 bus

They just give it more voltage. You can buy any power adapter you want in any voltage range. You just account for voltage drop when used and get something a little higher. Though, some wall adapters already do that, so if you measure their voltage, a 12volt rated wall adapter might read as 18volt. I also have all the stuff to make my own adapters, even winding my own transformers when breadboarding things.

It seems like everyone wants to use as many resources as possible and just let hardware sort out all the bloat and power through it instead of making something thin and streamlined.

What do you do with yours the most?

Isn't the whole point to keep cost as low as possible so developing countries could access the tech and learn? Evidently, the 3B+ that recently came out takes care of a lot of issues.

>Isn't the whole point to keep cost as low as possible so developing countries could access the tech and learn?
The Pi really isn't all that cheap compared to other single board computers out there. It is made as cheaply as possible but that isn't transferred over to customers. Most of the money paid to buy a Pi will be going towards support and no doubt getting Pis to other countries.
The hardware of a Pi was never spectacular in any way and again it's only redeeming factors is support and community, which for most people wanting to do things is more important than just the hardware.

Well, no. They used to shit midori as the default browser but now chromium became the default for some stupid fucking reason

Ship*

Networking is bottlenecked by the USB 2.0 controller.
I have an RPi to patch WiFi networks over to ethernet. Got experience with setting it up and maintaining it, using many commands.

So Raspberry Pi is LITERALLY the Apple of single board computers

Buy something from here (store.vamrs.com/) instead.

>6 cores
>2 Arm A72 + 4 Arm A53 (AKA RPi core)
>free as in freedom in everything but the GPU
>good price
>some models have DDR4 4GB
>eMMC instead of slow and easily corrupted SD
>bunch of other things

Attached: 1331834823682.jpg (443x600, 48K)

>eMMC
>not slow

>No Retropie builds
>Have to deal with Lakka and it's shitty setup
>LIterally 3x-4x the price of a Pi

Attached: 1529531448018.jpg (1000x802, 515K)

Basically yeah
Except atleast with a Pi your going to get something that mostly works, have people that are willing to help you and your money should be going to charitable causes. Unlike Apple

> sd problems
Threw a chink no name on it and it runs fine
> undervolt
I get that problem but I don't care. It works

It's faster than SD, ya dingus. Anyway, you can even use SSD though M.2 as well, if I remember correctly.

>Retropie
>Lakka
Don't know don't care.

>price
The cheapest is only 70 USD, but what do you expect? Two more highly performant cores, fsf endorsement, much more varied connectors and higher speed of bus. Among other things.

Attached: 1343260827786.gif (400x237, 1.99M)

Works fine as a mumble server

Technically 1.2Mbps is faster than 1Mbps. Doesn't mean it's a significantly faster.

The Pi's SD card is limited by the USB 2.0 bus, the rockchip's eMMC is not.
Pic related is speeds from the rockchip site.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-07_19-09-06.png (313x266, 23K)

>can't install free software
>but the free as in speech software is not that stable

Dem goalposts, mang.

Get a Steam link. It'll let you use your big tower PC on your TV without having to settle for shit networking and low performance

What are you smoking? It is still around the $35 target price.

>it's only redeeming factors is support and community, which for most people wanting to do things is more important than just the hardware

Don't know why everyone says this, armv5 binary support is pretty ubiquitous at this point, uboot is extremely easy to use.

Even if the device drivers aren't mainline yet, (most are), the pi doesn't have anything special support wise other than a million blog posts about mundane shit that aren't really pi specific and read like Linux tutorials.

Default browser for which OS?

I don't own a TV. I also don't pay for services or use anything other than email and Jow Forums. The big PC is just for crunching resource heavy shit like focus stacks. If the RPi can play 720p video and I can post to Jow Forums then it has everything I need with as little energy used as required.

He's right though, you need binary blob drivers to use a raspberry pi, its never been open source.

>I have a big tower PC I use for anything else
>I'm not a gamer

>thread full of people yammering on about power and resources above requirements

Attached: babirusa-skull.jpg (330x334, 109K)

github.com/christinaa/rpi-open-firmware

How can someone be so needlessly cynical?

a redditor indeed

>What are you smoking? It is still around the $35 target price.
Compared to what you can get for $35, the Pi is lacking. For $35 you can get USB 3, 4k, eMMC, and real gigabit Ethernet on other boards

It's still better to have a place that is specific to the Pi especially for noobs who have no idea what they are doing. a raspi also isn't just about linux, many will use one and use it more akin to an arduino to control hardware rather than just purely as a linux PC

Just get an old laptop Core i3 or better. You do not want to use a Pi for regular PC stuff any more than you can help it.

Why on earth would I want to watch movies or surf the internet with a raspberry pi? They shine as headless systems for electronic control.

>other boards

List?

>Thread Subject: Raspberry Pi Multimedia
>Random user: "I don't use it for that!!!"

This thread isn't for you.

Too power hungry.

I use an cheap Windows 10 tablet I got at Walmart for $30. It's great for letting scripts run all day, seedbox, SNES, etc.

Streaming video kicks the CPU up a lot but it works. A bit of lag if you Synergy into it while streaming fullscreen.

Attached: 20181204_200050_crop_889x637.jpg (889x637, 402K)

get a minipc.

I'd be using stuff from an external drive.

This is a Raspberry Pi thread.

What are you gonna do about it, bitch boy?

Attached: 1433859721898.jpg (960x720, 91K)