/spg/ - Smartphone General

Sony Xperia XZ4 Compact Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: sonyxperiaxz4compact4.jpg (5120x2880, 1.44M)

Other urls found in this thread:

digitec.ch/en/s1/product/xiaomi-pocophone-f1-618-64gb-dual-sim-12mp-graphite-black-mobile-phones-9423749
droid-life.com/2018/12/06/5g-is-really-starting-to-sound-awful/
anandtech.com/show/12520/the-galaxy-s9-review/
anandtech.com/show/13582/samsung-galaxy-note9-performance-review-snapdragon-vs-exynos/4
forum.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-mix-2s/themes/google-camera-mod-t3792143
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Gonna get the XZ4 Compact next year December to upgrade from my Nokia 8

>yuge bezels
But why?

Bad decision.

Please just tell me what smartphone I should get. I trust you people and I don't want to waste many hours researching on my own.

Only limitation is that since I am Swiss I'd prefer one I can buy locally so that I don't have to pay customs and other shit and have free shipping and good warranty.

Examples:
>Samsung Galaxy S7 for $300
>Huawei P20 Pro for $680
>Nokia 8 Sirocco for $500
>Honor 10 for $400
>Samsung Galaxy S9+ for $680

Why

It's going to cost the same as the S10 and inferior in every way.

Samsung has a shit UI, I want at least near stock

People keep saying this shit but their UI has neat features that stock doesn't have like hiding the navigation bar.

I used a S9 today, it was slow compared to my Nokia 8

Are they actually going to bring back the headphone jack? Very smart if accurate. Not like it's groundbreaking strategy, it's just that getting rid of it in the first place was so stupid, especially when Sony is trying to differentiate itself in the market. This will probably be my next phone.

It's going to be smaller than the S10, and will probably have better battery life since it isn't going to be powering a fuckhueg screen

God damn, I'm back to being a Sonygger.
I thought that I won't buy their shit ever again aftert the XZ2 Compact, but those madmen actually brought back the XZ1 design with the rounded edges of the older Xperia phones and a fucking headphone jack.
I'm never really hyped about consumer products but fuck it, I'm actually excited for once.

Not enough to be a differentiator. I've had enough of Sony phones, their cameras are shit and have poorest durability compared to their competitors. Just search for the infamous digitizer defect.

Pocophone
digitec.ch/en/s1/product/xiaomi-pocophone-f1-618-64gb-dual-sim-12mp-graphite-black-mobile-phones-9423749

>buying a phone when 5G is being rolled out

Thanks. That one looks good too. If nobody else has an alternative recommendation, I will get it.

personally I'd get either the galaxy s7 or the motorola p30 note if available

I have a xz1c almost a year now. Camera sucks but everything else is fantastic. Glad to see headphone jack back on the xz4c.

Just bought a Huawei Mate SE. Should I return it with all of this shit going on with China?

Been using a P2XL since August. Great phone overall, but it's a shame how much Corning compromised scratch resistance with GG5. The amount of microscratches on the screen despite taking care of it (dedicate leather pocket, never placed face down, etc.) is crazy.

Get the S9. It should last you a few good years and it's overall the best phone in that sort.

The Chad Sony already making notch /fa/ggots cry.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-07 Sony Xperia XZ4 Compact renders show a dated design.png (623x118, 10K)

Hello, brother. A fellow man of culture I see.

Do you use your phone naked?

Attached: Screenshot_20181030-234208.png (1440x2880, 3.25M)

Enjoy your cancer.

Based Sony.

The weird thing that their cameras aren't actually bad, it's just their software.
Those pesky japs are too greedy to outsource the software for the camera and they can't fucking figure it out on their own.

Absolutely based.

Attached: cheers.png (592x595, 232K)

I'll switch my phone 3 times over before 5g gets any real coverage.

I used to have the Z1 followed by the Z5 but my next smartphone is probably going to be a Samshit. Sony flagships are expensive and not worth their asking price.

If I update my OnePlus One to Xiaomi Note 6 Pro will it last 4 years like the OPO? What other choices should I think?

Only OPO problem was the battery lately which is about 1xxx/3100mah and there are no good replacements, tried a few.

Attached: item_XL_38644451_150640668.jpg (323x600, 28K)

Their prices drop really fast tho, I would never buy a phone on release.
I gladly pay a bit extra for a smaller form factor and the homebutton on the side. We'll see if the camera is shit again, recent Xperias have decent cameras so it looks are that the XZ4c won't be utter shit like the XZ1c.

Definitely. 4 Ah battery + SD 636 = you should retain 80% of your capacity in 2 - 3 years based on how power efficient it is. My friend has his Mi Max since launch with a 4.85 Ah battery and still has 94% of his charge left two years in of every day use.

How's the base S9? It seems the only phone with decent size in the upper side of the spectrum. Is the battery in the european model that bad? Is the Samsung CPU slower than the snapdragon845?

Mi Max 3 has 5500mah battery, is it better lasting than the Note 6 Pro or does the extra power go to the 7" screen?

Solid phone. The 9180 is marginally better than the 845. Numbers are a bit everywhere, but it's between 5 - 15%. The gap is being closed, though. The size is great, battery life is also consistent (5 - 6h SOT with 50% brightness, everything on and a lot of media consumption).

Yeah, it should last you even longer given that it's the same Li-On tech + the 636. Has a better res screen too.

It'll still be a year or two before 5G phones will be worth considering. There isn't much coverage yet, in many cases the speeds aren't that much better than 4g, and the current 5g tech is still costly and the modems suck a lot of battery.
droid-life.com/2018/12/06/5g-is-really-starting-to-sound-awful/

Well that it is then. Thanks, see you and this thread hopefully in 4 years.

Exynos is faster only in benchmarks, in real life tests it performs worse and is less efficient than the SD845
anandtech.com/show/12520/the-galaxy-s9-review/
>Ever since we first heard about the Exynos 9810 we had very large expectations and we knew there would be some tangible differences between Exynos and Snapdragon variants. The expectations couldn’t be more shattered than the results we got. While the Snapdragon 845 variant of the Galaxy S9 performed largely as advertised and as we had been told to expect by Qualcomm, the Exynos 9810 failed to live up to its hype in real-world scenarios. Effectively, the Exynos 9810 variant and as evidenced by all the data we collected, is the slower variant of the two. The root cause here has been identified as the extremely conservative scheduler and DVFS mechanisms which essentially nullify any advantage the new M3 cores have in synthetic benchmarks.
>In 3D benchmarks, the Exynos 9810 posted very healthy efficiency improvements and even sometimes managed to catch up to last year’s Adreno 540. Qualcomm’s new Adreno 630 raises the bar in terms of peak performance, however the promises of increased efficiency have not materialised in the commercial hardware as the performance boost comes at a cost of increased power. Effectively, when looking at sustained workloads, the Snapdragon 845 isn’t any faster than the Snapdragon 835 in its GPU department. Fortunately for Qualcomm, they’re still in the lead and this is not a deal-breaker for the Galaxy S9.
>While the performance advantage of the Snapdragon 845 variant over the Exynos 9810 variant is something we could live with, the battery life results of the Exynos is definitely a deal-breaker. I’m not sure of the root cause here and whether it’s something that can be fixed by software, but showcasing such a battery runtime regression over its predecessor is universally something that we can all agree on as not acceptable for a flagship device.

And if you think they'd have managed to fix it in the Note9, well you'd be wrong:
anandtech.com/show/13582/samsung-galaxy-note9-performance-review-snapdragon-vs-exynos/4
>Like on the Galaxy S9, the Note9’s Exynos variant is just an overall inferior device. Battery life was one aspect that the Exynos S9s fared quite terribly in, and this time around Samsung did manage to somewhat improve the difference to the Snapdragon 845. Unfortunately it’s not enough as the Snapdragon variant still leads.

>While the battery disadvantage has somewhat decreased, Samsung has done nothing to improve the performance of the chipset. Here the Snapdragon 845’s software is still leagues ahead of what the Exynos is able to offer, with the latter still not being able to differentiate itself much from the Exynos 8895 in system performance. The benchmark differences are very much also representative of the real-world performance difference of both variants.

>In our recent quarterly smartphone guide, I’ve recommended the Snapdragon Note9 alongside the S9s as among the best Android devices you can buy this holiday. The Exynos Note9 in my opinion again doesn’t really make the cut as you’re paying flagship prices for a device that offers less battery life and performance not much better than last year’s phones

Attached: 1543240463336.png (650x600, 42K)

>Is the battery in the european model that bad?
Well:
>battery life is also consistent (5 - 6h SOT with 50% brightness, everything on and a lot of media consumption).
These are S5 levels of screen on time. But at least the S9+ barely makes it through one day from what I've seen.

Had an S5. Highly doubt it, unless you had an expanded removable battery on the back. My S5 would average 3 - 3.5h SOT with 50% brightness, location/bluetooth/data/wifi/BT + location scanning on. With my 7500 mAh ZeroLemon I could literally use it like 3 days non-stop.

Not defending the S9's battery life, though. It's definitely abysmal but from what I've read it's more consistent than the S9+'s despite the .5 Ah bump. But as a daily driver it should be fine/

So the contenders so far are
>Samsung Galaxy S7 for $300
>Samsung Galaxy S9+ for $680
>Xiaomi Pocophone F1 for $324
Hmmm I will probably go for the Pocophone. Seems the most price efficient but also the most risky purchase because it's some Chinese company. It's just that I once owned a Samsung Galaxy S2 and it had multiple issues.

Oneplus 6(not T).

It's not just "some Chinese company", it's Xiaomi, the world's 4th largest smartphone manufacturer.

Does anyone here own one of those gaming smart phones? I didn't realise they even existed until yesterday. I'm still getting by with my iphone SE.

>some Chinese company
It's Xiaomi though, the 4th largest cellphone maker after Samsung, Huawei, and Apple.

My phone and tablet both use a USB-C charger. The phone has "dash" charging and the charger reads 5V - 4A. The phone charger has 5.2V, 7V, 9V or 12V and 2A all listed on the side.

Can I use the "dash charger" for both? Is there any potential damage if I mix them up? Is the 5.2V bad if the phone is supposed to take in 5V? I don't understand electricity.

From simple testing I can tell the chargers seem to work, except I don't get the "DASH" icon on the phone with the other charger. I'm bound to mix them up at some point in the dark, should I try to avoid that?

Darn I meant to say the one with 4 different voltages is the tablet charger.

Yeah, you can use it for both safely. Shouldn't be an issue.

>but also the most risky purchase because it's some Chinese company
Some Chinese company? The fourth manufacturer worldwide.

>Does anyone here own one of those gaming smart phones?
Where do you think you are?

Hmm the tablet says "input 12V - 2A" on the back so is 5V - 4A even better?

I'm guessing you have a OnePlus phone. Dash charging is OnePlus's proprietary fast charging tech, meaning only OnePlus phones will fast charge with a Dash charger. It's perfectly fine to use with other devices, it will simply charge them at regular charging speeds. And non-Dash chargers will not fast charge OnePlus, so you'll just get regular charging speeds.

Probs not cause it doesn't have dash software enabled, so it should default to reg/lower speeds.

Redpill me on LG V30s screen. Its 1440p and old reviews say that the POLED bleeds and artifacts like a motherfucker

Attached: 463681-lg-v30.jpg (810x456, 76K)

I want to upgrade from my Xiaomi Note 2. I absolutely love this phone.

Attached: MediaTek_Helio_X30-Diagram.png (1160x615, 188K)

>LG
Just don't. Bootloops were reported even on the G7. Who knows what can creep up on other models?

What happened with LG? I remember a couple years back LG was the rising star. Their phones were hot and widely recommended.

Now I hear nothing but bad things about LG even outside of smartphones. They seem to have fucked up big time.

What's the current favourite cheap phone itt? Xiaomi mi A2? A2 lite? Something else?

>They seem to have fucked up big time.
They have. Nexus 5X and LG G4-V20 were all affected by bootloops, thus getting LG in legal trouble. G7 now and who knows what other issues in the future.

Redmi Note 5 and Poco F1 by far.

>tfw Apple recovered and is growing again
This is it. There is no G-d.

Attached: 1538801460325.png (1398x1040, 74K)

This, it's a fucking sexy looking phone. They really fucked up with the XZ2C

Good smartphone for 200€~?
Mine just fucking died after 5+ years of use and I'm not really tech-savvy.

>If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.
France, unlocked phone are not an issue, playing weeb games is probably the most intensive thing I'll do with it, don't care about photo/video.

Redmi Note 5 or Note 6 Pro

Thanks.

I do. Thanks. The main thing I'm worried about though was the deviced malfunctioning if I accidentally cross the wires in the dark, but apparently that shouldn't happen. Maybe I should still get a fire alarm.

Is there something wrong with Mi A2 or Mi A2 Lite in comparison to Redmi Note 5? I'd prefer unmodified android to be honest.

Ip ban

>got an XZ1C recently
>worried about what to get in 3/4 years time when the phone inevitably shits itself
>hate the direction Sony went with the XZ2
>see this
>can rest peacefully knowing there'll be a relatively up-to-date phone on the market that isn't cucked by notches etc by the time this phone dies
Based Sony. Not sure how they managed to get to XZ4 so soon seeing as this XZ1C was only released last year though.

Attached: 49391677370520111cCQB7m.jpg (1252x1252, 135K)

>Mi A2
No micro SD card slot, no 3.5mm jack, notch and 1000 mAh of battery capacity less.
>Mi A2 lite
Snapdragon 625 instead of 636 and the notch.

What? No, the Max has a worse screen (same resolution as the Redmi, worse PPI).

Xiaomi Best!! Not Chinese Only But Number 4 biggest Manufacturer In the World

What are you sperging out for? It's not like he's getting ripped off or anything.

anyone know anything about note 9 region locks
i was gonna buy a note 9 to use next month when i move out then i read about it being locked to where you bought it from

Attached: 16142991_1839043799697629_3200735019375768829_n.jpg (500x667, 42K)

Take it easy mane, just humor I own a xiaomi note 4

How does this make you feel?

Attached: sdddds.png (699x557, 453K)

ok give me your honest opinion on on certified refurbished phones should i even bother?

Attached: download.png (396x127, 9K)

I'm tempted to upgrade from my 7 plus but it's too soon really

best program to record videos?

I know apple users loving cock jokes are overused, but damn this one wrote itself

your phones camera app

>no pill notch
>no Exynos shit
It's already better than the S10

Pocophone doesn't work in Canada right? Also is there any reason to go for a Oneplus 6t over the 6? Aside from the smaller notch, which is compelling but I don't know if it's worth $200 more

where can I see current xiaomi lineup?
Thy have too large offering to choose from easily

I picking phone for my sister 150-200€

first thing I am interested in is 4000 mAh battery
second is decent SoC

And I think I saw some variation of redmi or A2 or note with better than 625 soc but not really sure

Attached: Xiaomi-Mi-A2-vs-Xiaomi-Mi-A2-Lite.jpg (512x288, 34K)

ebin shilling

Redmi Note 5 or Note 6 Pro, has a Snapdragon 636 SoC.

Does it work for Pocophone starved Amerifats?

Attached: 4.jpg (297x166, 15K)

OnePlus 6 6000 or 6003? USA Tmobile

They'll get better coverage than the Pocophone since the global versions of Redmi Note phones have band 4 LTE support. The best version to get in the US is the Taiwan/LATAM version of Redmi Note 5, model number M1803E7SH.

Exynos 9810 is an abortion, even last year SD835 has better performance and battery life.

You should get the A6003 since it had B71 for T-Mobile

one[plus 6t

Does the 6 have a similar global version that works good?

The Redmi Note 5 Global version and Note 6 Pro global version have the following 4G bands:
B1/3/4/5/7/8/20

And the Redmi Note 5 Taiwan / LATAM version has the following bands:
B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/20/28

The latter is slightly better for use in the US since it supports 3 LTE bands used there, B2, B4 and B5. Regular Note 5/Note 6 Pro global version has only B4 and B5. You can use cellmapper.net to check what bands are used in your area.

Got a mix 2s today and downloaded a gcam apk and it constantly crashes (wont even launch).

Oh well.

Attached: 68fc6e3fe9be235ccfddbbf50b8bae05.png (689x1020, 488K)

pretty sure you need to enable camera2 api or some shit first

oh? How does a retard like me go about doing that?

That shit is buggy and laggy
basically get a REAL PHONE

Read through this
forum.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-mix-2s/themes/google-camera-mod-t3792143