Are any single board computers worth it?

There are some that are just as good as some laptops.

Attached: sbc.jpg (300x168, 13K)

That odroid makes a nice retro pie machine.

Not really. Lattee panda is honestly the only thing remotely close to a "good" SBC and even then you have to put up with intel "hd" graphics and horrible performance/watt.

Not as a daily driver, no. It's purely a hobbyist thing.

Yeah, Apple stuff is pretty neat if you ask me

There's a reason we call it mactrash.

Attached: mac_mini_vs_hades_nuc.png (1625x1568, 915K)

2018 Mac Mini is $1,099
Hades Canyon is $1,154
I know it's a small difference, but it's still important to include in such a comparison image.

I bought a Pi. It came in the mail yesterday and I installed Raspbian on it then I reached a "now what?" moment and realized I had fallen for the meme.

Attached: helper.png (657x527, 13K)

Depends on the model and intended use.

it's 35 dollars. Worth the meme. Just get a cheap monitor at goodwill and set up xdmx with it.

I installed teamviewer

I just run Pi-Hole on mine, only real use I could think of the one gifted to me.

It's easier if you get a SBC that is at least nice as NAS/powerful enough to be a decent web browser / media viewing / ... machine.

too bad they put a 'muh skull durr' on it.

Yes I would love to buy that shitty meme with the skull on it

WRONG

Can be turned off permanently.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-07-17-13-26(1).jpg (720x1141, 125K)

>$50 difference
>Less than 5% price difference
Not really

And that's only if you're an absolute mong who needs to have his hand held and have the ram and ssd installed. Otherwise it's like $800 with including windows 10, 8gb ram stick, and 128gb m.2.

Macfags BTFO

Attached: IbK9OXL.png (570x634, 340K)

that skull is pretty fuckin' rad

What's the best sbc for making a router? I've been dealing with openwrt this month and while support for my ARM router is good, it's just too much work to make it work properly. The whole os feels like it's just not robust enough.

Super stoked for the EOMA68.

Attached: eoma-micro-card_jpg_project-body.jpg (749x454, 28K)

>no affordable single board x86

Attached: 1543903028074.jpg (720x709, 47K)

why not macintrash?

odroid h2 if you can get it

uh what
aliexpress is full of

Attached: Capture.png (730x415, 49K)

if you have a single board system with a m.2 slot you can plug a nvme style pcie 4x adaptor into that slot and run a like 1060 or 590 or what ever on it with only like 10% loss in performance.

That's a solid idea for a home theater setup

Only on boards where M.2 is fully wired though. Some have a reduced number of lanes or none at all (SATA only, usually if the slot is shorter than 2280).

i use mine to samba to watch my torrents in the livingroom tv, using it to post this right now

OR get which practically already has a 1060 dedicated gpu soldered on with really fast onboard v-ram

Odroid and Beaglebone is nice. Rπ is only worth it if you get a Zero.

SiFive will make custom cores that you can order with a chip designer program soon.

They make for decent low power servers. I wouldn't use them for general purpose computing though.

Udoo Bolt looks cool, if it ever actually comes out.

Attached: UDOO-BOLT-Specifications-Large.jpg (1257x531, 92K)

Why is gamer iconology/branding so fucking cringy?

Attached: IMG_20181206_185113.jpg (768x1024, 85K)

god udoo is such a fucking bad company, nothing gets updated, fucking ever. My original UDOO board is useless now because the newest software is ~5 years old. I have to DIY my upgrades for 5 years and the system breaks 90% of the time

I was excited for the bolt too but there wont be much reason to get it if the amd leaks are even close to true

possibly been discussed prev..
but what in the name of fuck are they soldering SSDs in for? Just to prevent upgrading?

Essentially, they want you keep buying more stuff every year perpetually forever. That's been the apple modus operandi since blow jobs died.

>udoo the work

It's in the name senpai

reee
why can't they just offer ubuntu 18 instead of ubuntu 12

You can install any Linux distro you want on a Ryzen-based SBC. You could even install Windows.

yea ik, that's good.
is it x86?
These SBCs need to get rid of their need for on the sd card boot directories and tailor it to boot from any image on the sd card like a normal system.

Apart from what the other anons said, the ASrock [& maybe Gigabyte] onboard Intel APU boards also aren't expensive.

About ~$60-140 depending on the featured APU.

>is it x86?
AMD Ryzen is an x86_64 thing, yes.

> These SBCs need to get rid of their need for on the sd card boot directories
Yea, that's actually not an universal feature of all SBC.

> is it x86?
....It's a Ryzen CPU. What do you think?

They're just small linux machines, albeit with GPIO headers. If you want a low power linux server or mess around with hobby electronics or soldering, they're fine.

Attached: 02c844f7-1e14-4b32-95d6-bed5177ca921.jpg (361x361, 25K)

yea I've noticed, I have several random ones

idk, I thought Zen had some ARM shit too

odroid hc1/hc2 are nice as a very simple file server

Pic related HP T630 sometimes comes up cheap and used on ebay. It's Bristol Ridge not Ryzen, with Carrizo GPU cores. Fanless, 2x DDR4 slots, 2x M2.

Attached: HP_T630.jpg (925x954, 167K)

>thin client

Attached: spockprovides.gif (248x193, 699K)

saves money on bulk sockets and still fine for the lowest common denominator who will never upgrade their internal storage anyway, what is bitching about is just a positive side-effect

>doodoo bolt
what the fuck is with modern technology and being so utterly braindead when it comes to branding

that thing on the right blows thing on the left completely out of the water

same, hope that shit actually becomes relatively main stream or in very least the idea

haha they make more money off what said than they save on bulk sockets, which is the real positive - side effect

based

And he says that while posting generic JAV shit.

Attached: 1491645753079.gif (200x150, 1.39M)