Let's be honest it's a better analogue format to collect than vinyl

Let's be honest it's a better analogue format to collect than vinyl.

Attached: FN40G0QHH2VZ7PO.LARGE.jpg (1000x664, 97K)

>cheap as fuck
>portable
>sounds just fine if you're not a audiophile

Attached: lblfs71x9j011.png (614x614, 31K)

indeed
if only for the fact that car stereos had a compact cassette deck as std equipment right up until 2011

>Get laid for first time in my beater car
>She had syphilis
std equipment confirmed.

That shit is way to volatile.

Debatable.
>uhoh magnets
>good tapes and machines are hard to find
>risk of tapes being eaten
I prefer vinyl but they take up huge space, they degrade after every playback no matter how light the stylus is, I'm unable to make recordings on vinyl without unreasonable expense, and good equipment costs money. I love analog formats for the imperfections and unique sound, good thing they are coming back.

Has parts that can degrade, so no.

>I prefer vinyl but they take up huge space, they degrade after every playback no matter how light the stylus is
This gives me an idea, what if it wasn't a physical needle pushing towards the vinyl but some modern laser light checking each bump's depth and playing according to that? Am I describing something that has been done? You could keep the old vinyls but they wouldn't degrade anymore.

tapes are only good for cold data storage. there is no other reason to collect tapes.

'twould melt the vinyl

Just buy CD's, grandpa

vinyl has always been shit

VHS audio Reel2Reel audio and Cassette are way better and always have been.

There already is !?

It exists, but it is damn expensive. Pic is ELP

Attached: LT-classic-Photo6_640.jpg (640x480, 47K)

You've just described streaming services

Just rip stuff from YouTube bro

Attached: 1543787155443.gif (478x350, 84K)

underrated post

> on my whish list since years

Kek

Too rich for my blood but as mentioned already it has been done as well as other methods like IRENE for extracting audio from old shellac discs.
I'll give you vhs and r2r but I think cassettes have as many technical downfalls as vinyl. Like vinyl, casettes suffer from degradation from every playback. Playback head azimuth is extremely important like cart alignment on vinyl. Both require conpensation through filters. Vinyl is physically fragile and tape magnetically in addition to that. I'm certain channel seperation and bandwidth are better on cassette but only if a good tape is used in the first place. Both are admittedly a shit way to store music but I do like vinyl for the album art and sound it has.

Both cassettes and vinyls are good to collect (and listen to). Both got flaws.

go away.

Cassettes are great but each LP gets a square foot of album art

As a kid in the 90s doing stupid shit with this was like my version of being an idiot kid with a youtube channel. An idiot kid with a fake radio station.

Attached: qRBqgkJGeOfyqwbV.large.jpg (800x600, 46K)

A record has one spinning thing and a tape has two spinning things, so I like it more.

I have some tapes I got for like 50c at charity shops. Prodigy, Led Zep, etc.

That's how laserdisc works. It's analogue with lasers.

I remember this to.

The master tapes are best way of listening.

>Am I describing something that has been done
Almost everything has already been done.

Attached: tiresome.jpg (1280x720, 95K)

No, I would say most things have not been done because most things are currently impossible.

mono

are you retarded the "sound" vinynl has cassette vhs and r2r have as well you fucking moron.

also cassette degrades just the same as vhas and r2r and its WAY slower than vinyl that actually has physical damage.

you are a fucking retard if you think r2r and vhs is best but vinyl is better than cassette.

cassette and VHS are literally the same but you can get higher quality cassettes as you can VHS

you can get cassettes that are better quality than r2r but r2r is like double the thickness so obviously it can store wider imformation.

the only reason people hate on cassettte is viynal beacame a meme for retro asthetics cassette is superior you realise a a good recording on a cassette with the best doby noise reduction sounds better than FLAC and literally can sound like a DSD or .wav. you mong.

only reason people hate on cassette is they only lissened to it in cars or cheap 0$ portal CD/tape/radio combos not on actual hifi gear on hifi gear cassette sounds crazy good.

vinyl is cool and all but it is a waste of resorces the best way to collect analogue audio these days is old VHS movies with soundtracks you like like disney shit and get a bunch of old cassettes or get some old cassettes with shit on them you dont like and brake the tab and rip Vinyl to them thru a non digital amp.

vinyls fine but really only 1 of your friends should collect it the rest should make dubs of it on tape.

What the other guy said about the laser.

You forget that we're dealing with a giant slab of plastic here. It's a century old technology and even back then it wasn't very good.

If it's slightly off center, it wobbles and gets fucked up more with every iteration.
If you leave them stacked on top of eachother, they get squished and fuck eachother up.
If you leave them in a room that's too warm, they gradually melt and the record starts to sound like the person drank a bottle of cough syrup.

Trying to make the vinyl record format more convenient is like trying to make a bicycle better at going mach speed. You don't use it for that.

cassette tape is one of the worst things you can use, especially portable cassette

>That's how laserdisc works. It's analogue with lasers.
Hell no.
Laserdisc is based on pits and lands, just like the rest of optical formats. The laser does not measure the depth of the pits. The pits represent a PWM RF signal, which then gets demodulated by the laser, and via some filtering gets divided into audio (FM analog and PCM digital) and composite video.
So basically, LaserDiscs contain a digital representation of an analog signal, it's just that it can be demodulated with some simple filtering, eliminating the need for a DAC. At least for the video and analog sound portions.

I expected a blow up, par of the course on Jow Forums.
>are you retarded the "sound" vinynl has cassette vhs and r2r have as well you fucking moron.
No. The primary variable being the playback equipment utilized and quality of the recording.
>also cassette degrades just the same as vhas and r2r and its WAY slower than vinyl that actually has physical damage.
Laser based vinyl players? Damaged tapes caused by the machine eating them? Though true from a general persepective.
>you think r2r and vhs is best but vinyl is better than cassette.
When did I make that claim?
>cassette and VHS are literally the same but you can get higher quality cassettes as you can VHS
Tape is tape is tape is tape? Perhaps not but I could be corrected, proof?
>you can get cassettes that are better quality than r2r but r2r is like double the thickness so obviously it can store wider imformation.
No. There were r2r tapes that would surpass even cds in quality, there is a good reason why r2r was used in professional applications.
>the only reason people hate on cassettte is viynal beacame a meme...good recording on a cassette with the best doby noise reduction sounds better than FLAC and literally...you mong.
Any analog format is flawed and this claim is completely untrue. Wow and flutter along with azimuth of a playback head will change the sound.
>people hate on cassette...they only lissened to it in cars or cheap 0$ portal combos not on actual hifi gear...
I know.
>vinyl is cool and all but it is a waste of resorces the best way to collect analogue audio these days is old VHS movies with soundtracks you like and get a bunch of old cassettes or get some old cassettes with shit on them you dont like and brake the tab and rip to them thru a non digital amp.
No. You're better off using a computer with a high quality DAC and making flac rips. Why introduce the flaws of one analog format only to compound it with another?

I don't know why I bothered when I coulda had a beer instead.

It's true but don't tell anyone, I still like to buy them for a quarter at the Salvation Army

Get yourself a Technics deck