I finally installed ubuntu and after spending a while inputting all sorts of commands into the terminal to get my wifi...

I finally installed ubuntu and after spending a while inputting all sorts of commands into the terminal to get my wifi working I found out my wifi adapter is not supported in linux (BCM43142).
This is a real bummer because although this thing is far from "user friendly" for a brainlet like myself, I was seriously enjoying the whole learning process that is to get something as basic as wifi connection working.
Not sure if I should just uninstall ubuntu and go back to windows right now or if I should go through the trouble of buying a compatible adapter. Sorry for the blogpost.

Attached: ubuntu-bionic.png (1359x764, 166K)

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/459654/drivers-for-broadcom-bcm43142-on-ubuntu-14-04-trusty-tahr
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2123154
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Buy a compatible, el cheapo WiFi dongle
also install KDE

What would work out of the box? Looking at the documentation, the options that are shown as working out of the box were last updated in 2005...

I've checked my purchase history and the dongle I'm using is a Realtek (RTL8188CU) based $4.78 generic WiFi adapter. I've experienced problems while using it on XFCE, no problems on KDE though. Just buy any cheap-ass WiFi dongle you can find, odds are it will work

you probably shouldn't go out of your way to look for something based on that specific chip, as I've said, it was an absolute shitshow on XFCE

Turn computah on
close lid
open lid
Enjoy interwhebz
:^)

I dont get the joke

Putting the laptop to sleep can help fix the issue for some reason.

Also you may need to install the drivers manually, I did it for my (different) Broadcom chip:
askubuntu.com/questions/459654/drivers-for-broadcom-bcm43142-on-ubuntu-14-04-trusty-tahr

>I've experienced problems while using it on XFCE, no problems on KDE though.
>the functioning of my wifi adapter depends on my DE
daily reminder that Jow Forums is and always has been full of dumb cunt peasants

ask mommy and daddy for a macbook for christmas retart

Just install the proprietary drivers and get it over with

fuck off appletard

I'm using it on two x86-64 Debian stretch machines right now. It'll work out of the box on Ubuntu and Fedora.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-07-18-32-31.png (1440x2560, 470K)

>BCM43142
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2123154

install gentoo

If you can't use google, might want to give linux a skip

Attached: autism000.jpg (640x480, 64K)

You know KDE uses KNetworkManager/Network Management whereas XFCE doesn't?

Then you're looking at the wrong documentation. Canonical publishes an HCL for every release.

>BCM43142
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source

18.04 just came out and dont have all the support yet.
try 16.04

What broadband speeds do you pay for, and what router do you have?

Don't blindly take the advice of this sub and buy some shitty wifi dongle that can't pump out the speeds you pay for.

install communi theme

This is retarded advice, 18.04 will support more devices out of the box than 16.04 guaranteed.

If your device isn't brand new (which it's not), magically trying arbitrary versions of ubuntu will NOT magically include support for it. And I can guarantee, running OLDER versions of linux will never fix the problem, only reduce the number of compatible devices out of the box.

>unity
>broken bloated inefficient garbage
use kde or foot nerd

>retarded advice
i just talk from my experience using tp-link not while ago on ubuntu 18 that get major unsupported OS errors
when i install it on 16.04 distro it was just fine
cunt

Trust me you don't want to use Broadcom chipsets.

Intel, Atheros, Ralink.

Tether phone?

Can get decent WiFi adapters for like $12 on amazon now.

Anything that isn't (((Broadcom))). Intel, DLink and chink adapters work fine. Broadcom is shit and they're getting less relevant by the year.

Go with arch, it's better.

Uninstall Ubuntu and swirvh to KDE Neon now

Save up some clams for an intel card that is compatible with your computer. My StinkPad came with a Broadcom adapter and the damn thing just hated Ubuntu or any distro for that matter. The best thing I ever did was get an Intel 7265 wireless card for it. Ever since then smooth sailing with Linux.

this is gnome, brainlet

Why would anyone choose to run Ubuntu in the current year?
Ubuntu will be the first operating system under gnu/linux to be targeted by hackers and viruses due to it's growing popularity

Baby's first distro, I wanted to get something that just werks.
BTW thanks everyone for the help I'll give it another try today with the fix you suggested and if that doesn't work I'll get a new adapter.
Also pls stop fighting each other tfw thinken of u hurtin

Mint is actually significantly better for new users. They do much more polishing to the distro for desktop use.

>Ubuntu will be the first operating system under gnu/linux to be targeted by hackers and viruses due to it's growing popularity
Servers are already targets and have been for literally ever, then there's android.

>far from "user friendly"
>Ubuntu

If Ubuntu is trouble for you I'd just switch back to Windows and shove a finger back in your ass.

kek