How is Oracle still relevant?

How is Oracle still relevant?
They are mentally stuck in 00s.

Attached: oracle.png (442x293, 10K)

Fucking hate I'm going to use java for OOP course

How is Java still relevant?
Besides embedded systems it's the worst programming language for anything productive.

gov and company contracts run by old ceos that have that if it aint broke dont change it mentality

Where I live, most shitty jobs require java. Isn't there a better way to learn OOP?

boomers

ruby

Because once you're an enterprise that has problems to solve that are big enough to warrant running your own data centers, processor time and memory are incredibly cheap compared to developer time.

I could develop an application using the Java ecosystem in a few weeks that would take a year or more to implement in C, and the Java implementation would way more secure, better tested, and easier to maintain and extend.

Yes the java program would be slightly slower than the C implementation, and it would require orders of magnitude more memory--but it would still be fast enough and the cost of an extra ram stick in a server blade is a pittance compared to a year of my time.

t. (white) midwestern java dev

Then just write it in Python lmao

Shitty java devs are dime-a-dozen, but a competent java dev will never go hungry.

Yes, there's a lot of languages with syntax and features that are nicer than Java. But in all the things that really matter for being productive in a language--readability of code, ecosystem maturity, robustness of tooling, documentation, corporate investment, etc--Java has no equal (with the possible exception of C# and .NET).

Sometimes we do, but there's a lot of problems that require much more structure and architecture in their solutions than can be easily achieved with Python.

Attached: 1c.jpg (1240x580, 33K)

mostly charging large enterprises stuck in their ecosystem out the ass for literally everything

>How is Oracle still relevant?
because they're a multi million dollar legal department with a software arm

"OOP" is code for "the way Java people write code". Objects themselves are very easy to understand, but if you ever want to work in the Java ecosystem you'll need to learn and deal with all the fucked up ways programmers jam their program-shaped code into object-shaped holes. This is what an OOP course is supposed to (but rarely does) teach you.

An example would (unironically) be great.

if you've got 50 developers working in one codebase, it's a lot easier to modularize and decouple different parts of the application to allow for stable parallel development when you can define explicit interfaces with statically-typed apis. This also allows for dependency injection and mocking which makes the code significantly easier to test.

This is probably possible in python, but it's way easier in Java.

If you need a 100-line script to move data from a database instance to an ML library, use python.

If you're building something with more than a handful of devs with several 100k LOC that has to last for 5 - 10 years, use java.

Every time they're about to die, the pajeets raise their hands to lend their power and oracle is restored.

Lots of Oracle salesmen giving gullible boomer IT executives the ol'e steak-and-strippers treatment.

No developer ever willingly chose to use an oracle product. It's always an edict handed down from on high.

Because lots of other companies are stuck in the 90s, and not everything is about constant innovation. You're unlikely to compete with things like steel works or chemical plants through software innovation.

>Besides embedded systems
t. someone who has never had a job in their life.

>readability of code
You've not seen much Java i take it? Sure the newer shit isn't OOP-ridden abomination that uses design patterns like you would collect pokemons and is generally not terrible (low standard to set). But try getting into one of the 2000's codebases that does OOP for the sake of OOP, much like modern C++ codebases use modern C++ features for absolutely no reason (worst offenders - lval refs, std::variant, move semantics) other than having the obligation to put that -std=c++17 in there.
>ecosystem maturity
Valid. Java has very mature stdlib (absolutely best concurrency out of all stdlibs) and even 3rd party libs are pretty good most of the time.
>robustness of tooling
Nowhere near C, Haskell or OCaml. Having seven thousands build systems that all do the same thing isn't robustness of tooling. Static analysis is still lackluster in java, but it's not the worst. Still not being the worst is a very low standard to set.
>documentation
Absolutely hideous. Even Scala does this better, and that's a language notorious for having bad docs. I guess there are worse languages, but again - low standard to set.
>corporate investment
Second valid point. No contest in this regard, except maybe Ada (but that wouldn't be corporate, just absolute money put into the platform).

>You've not seen much Java i take it? Sure the newer shit isn't OOP-ridden abomination... But try getting into one of the 2000's codebases

You've got me there. I'm still relatively early in my career, and most of the Java code I've seen has been written within the last 5 years.

Though I have heard horror stories about the Lovecraftian J2EE projects from the before times.

>Static analysis is still lackluster in java

Are you living under a rock back in Java 6?

Typelets BTFO
Will they ever recover?

Go is another language in this space. It was explicitly designed by Google to create reasonably fast native binaries from swarms of mediocre developers.

He said better

Go is interesting to me. Given that cloud-native Java development is always going to be hobbled by the premium cloud hosts charge for memory usage, I could see Go taking a bite out of Java's market share.

>They are mentally stuck in 00s
So are many businesses.

It's not just memory, it's also startup time. Functions as a Service things like AWS Lambda charge you for total execution time of your code, so avoiding the slow starting JVM saves you buckets of money.

They are critical to all big enterprises, just look at their db.

>doesn't know shit about java
>doesn't know shit about oop
>doesn't know current java is openjdk and not oracle
>hates it
classic

>How is Java still relevant
>embedded systems
Imagine being this out of touch

>just slow my shit up

t. Rajeesh

My employer actually has a CEO level mandate to get everything off of Oracle ASAP and has already banned new projects from using Oracle.

Good. I never said Oracle was good.

t. Actual white europoor

Muh 6 gorillion devices
Muh Oracle database with vendor lock-in

If you continue down the Java path and eventually get enough experience to get into consulting, you'll see some seriously fucked-up codebases. I've seen my share of this to see how cancerous OOP for the sake of OOP is (just like anything for the sake of itself, but OOP was so rampart during the internet boom that it's the most prominent one).
No, i just have higher standard than shitters like you. If you think Java has static analysis (and generally verification) tools on par with C, you're a moron. Though that little fact is useless because vast majority of C even i come across (most of my work in the last 5 years was in hard-realtime) is written without those tools and sucks appropriately.
The whole industry (software, not hard-realtime specifically, it's mostly automotive that spoils the hard-realtime) is ridden with absolute bullshit that one can't comprehend how it even got shipped in the first place.
Supporting this view of mine is the fact that companies pay ridiculous amounts of money to us consultants for fixing (or trying to) their shit. Some companies are so bad that they get desperate as early as after their first shipped product. The software industry is in fact so bad that even among consultants, there are many bullshit artists who take money for disservice.