Ok nerds, what am I doing wrong with my server?

ok nerds, what am I doing wrong with my server?

Attached: ok nerds.png (1720x784, 735K)

running virtualbox

What would you recommend? for zero dollars?

Not him, but Proxmox

don't think virtualbox would be the best solution for server virtualization
what are you running in your vms anyways user

Owncloud
Plex
Mail server
Timemachine Backups
Probably a few more searches too
Other services such as VPN, secure shell are offloaded to a RPi 3

Sever runs with mdadm raid, hence the host OS runs almost nothing but virtualisation.

Maybe chroot would be suitable?

The load average always looks funky with hypervisors that have a significant userspace part. A constant average load of at least 3 processes would point to a CPU or I/O bottleneck, but only if those happen to be kernel threads related to the file system or device-mapper flushing to disk.

you mean containers desu

You should replace Owncloud with Nextcloud

Thank you, that's the word I should've used

I agree, however I'm locked in now, I may as well keep with what I know.

I don't think so, the VMs allow for easy backup, where I can just copy over my vm_hosts folder to an external 3+TB disk and store it off site.

Would a few instances of VMWare Workstation be good enough for those? I don't really use VirtualBox but have previously with okay success.

Containers allow for easy backup too. Take docker for example - just back up your docker-compose and keep the data volumes on the host and copy those off too. Smaller backups as well.

I don't know, I've not used user level VM where. I like virtual box, I think i'm going to stick with it.

You're right, however this system has been built over the years, I'm not going to reprovision it. It is what it is, and it shall remain so until the sever dies.

VMWare Workstation runs on low level stuff like a spare laptop. There is a free and a paid option, but I honestly have no issue with getting a key for the paid option. Easy google search will find it.

Honestly I was just throwing out an idea, VirtualBox might be shit for everything you're trying to do like that other guy said. I have only used it for certain CentOS projects and it worked then, I don't see why it wouldn't work for you either.

what is this thread's purpose then

Then why the fuck did you ask for help if you're just going to ignore every single suggestion in the thread?

Because there are a few obvious things that are wrong with this. If you can't call them out, then lol.

Switch from Virtualbox over to Proxmox for a server. It's a baremetal hypervisor that is free and respects your freedoms.

QEMU

Why not use jails or docker unstead

the problem seem to be that you have these grey boxes everywhere.