IPS Monitors

What's the consensus on them? Is the lottery worth it ?

Was thinking about getting one, got 3 options( ViewSonic XG2703-GS, Asus PG279Q, Acer XB271HU) but it seems that everyone of them years after manufacturing began still have the same QC issues. Anyone has any more recent experience with them; specifically using it in the dark room with no light?

CRT fags not welcome

Attached: gejcdEwl.jpg (640x480, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=b-gUsxVTw84
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you know you'll be doing a lot of gaming or movie watching in a dark room with little to no ambient light, then get a VA panel.

If you will be using your monitors in an office environment with natural and artificial lighting keeping things well lit throughout your use, then IPS is just fine.

I personally have a 43" 4k IPS panel mainly for media watching and a 27" 1440p 144hz VA panel for gaming and media watching under certain scenarios.

IPS absolutely blows the fuck out of VA or TN unless you specifically really want fast response or high refresh rate and the cost of worse quality. Maybe cheap screens have a noticeable glow, but the two IPS screens I've owned are perfectly fine even in the dark and I can only see the glow if I look for it.

Just keep it at 0% brightness

Stop regurgitating Linus shill tips like an underage fag.

the $150 asus ips monitor i bought in like... 2009? only has uneven backlighting if for some reason you have the backlight pegged in a dark room with a black screen. it had ghosting but only if you looked for it

i have, of course, purchased a better ips monitor in the decade since then and it doesn't have those problems

I will be using it primarily for gaming in the dark room (no real light apart from w/e comes from the 2nd monitor).

I currently have Benq 2420z (TN panel) which I've been happy with for a number of years but want to upgrade to something with slightly better dark colors without the blocky dark gradient transition.

I tend to play a number of games which are set in dark environments so I fear that I may notice the backlight bleed. At the same time all the screenshots I've seen on the internet (Like the one above) all feel like they may be artificially exaggerated or someone getting a bad monitor.

I'd recommend a VA panel, not only do they not generally have much backlight bleed when compared to IPS panels, but they also generally have ~2x-3x the static contrast ratio. IPS panels generally are 800-1200:1 while VA panels are 2500-3000:1.

you will see ze glow, nothing as extreme though

Modern IPS panels are cheap garbage, but they still have the best color reproduction and viewing angles. Get a VA if dark room performance is most important.

These are my options for VA and IPS (Prices are in NZD).

I do feel like 30" would be slightly too big for 1440p though, from what I've been reading 27" seems like ideal spot for 1440p

Attached: options.png (1474x608, 73K)

They're a lot better now, provided you don't cheap out. I just put one in my X240, minimal glow, no bleed or ghosting.

I have a pg279q and the HG70. Obviously depending on whether you have an amd or nvidia card. Other than that i prefer the hg70, its 10bit colour (vs 8bit on most ips), has local dimming and HDR. The only downside being that freesync range is 72-144 which will be useless 90% of the time

Do there exist IPS monitors with sub-16ms input delay?

>They're a lot better now, provided you don't cheap out
/thread

It's a lottery no matter which one you buy. All three of those monitors use the exact same panel. I went through eight different ones before getting a ViewSonic that was near-perfect (which I'm using now). Anecdotal evidence suggests that ViewSonic have slightly better QC than ANUS and the rest, but I had one of those with tons of bleed too.

VA completely blows the fuck out of IPS in every single way apart from viewing angles, which are irrelevant for a monitor. Even the pixel response meme is completely outdated at this point - modern VA panels are just as good as IPS in that regard. There is quite literally no reason to choose a 27" IPS over the new 31.5" 144Hz VA monitors that are now on the market if gay men is you goal. And you better be buying a calibrated 60Hz IPS panel for way too much money if it's not.

>specifically using it in the dark room with no light?
Oh, and dark content looks like grey shit in a dark room no matter what, and I only have the backlight on 24. It's way worse if you want it brighter. That's just inherent to IPS and won't change. Go VA if you want deeper blacks.

>viewing angles, which are irrelevant for a monitor
Bullshit. The optimal viewing angle on a VA are so narrow that just sitting at normal desktop viewing distance (18-22") the edges of the screen will look noticeably different from the center.

Bullshit. I own a VA monitor and that's not the case. Stop projecting your experiences with your $100 VA monitor onto the entire technology, Pajeet. Viewing angles on high end panels are more than good enough for monitor usage.

Which model?

reminder that pwm is garbage and needs to be killed

Bought an IPS and will never go back to TN. Nice colors. Nice viewing angles. In built blue light filter. One flaw is that it lacks brightness; for me this is a feature not a flaw as I find it lessens eye strain. I do not play games (neither should you) so 144HZ and 1MS need not matter.

U32H850

Got a new monitor which was advertised as flicker free but ended up being not. What's worse is that even at max brightness and contrast PWM is present. Am I fucked?

Attached: 32_year_old_NEET_poorfag.png (243x298, 88K)

I was thinking of going with HG70 the 27" version, seems to be better option due to higher pixel density over 32".

Not sure about the Gsync/Freesync meme's since I've been using 144hz TN panel now for 5 years and only turn on Vsync in a few very old games where frame capping doesn't seem to work.

Other than that when I put frame cap (or even remove it) I don't see any tearing. I still do not understand the purpose of this technology, something about "smoother experience" at lower frames but as far I can tell it won't make 30fps look like 60.

G-Sync/FreeSync is basically Vsync without the lag and frame rate penalty it incurs when FR drops below the monitors refresh rate.

If the games you play don't tax the GPU enough to drop the frame rate below the monitor's refresh rate, *sync won't offer any improvement.

ASUS and Acer are trash for QC. I tried each, and went through more than 5 for each respective monitor (XB271HU and PG279Q) and always got backlight bleed, dead pixels, flickering, all this shit.

If you don't care about Gsync (But I assume you do based on your choices) I would look at an LG IPS monitor if you're really wanting IPS. I've never really heard a problem with their displays.

If not, get a VA. There are much lower chances of problems

just get a crt ya faggot

PG279Q here

either i lucked out or i dont care about the bleed enough.

Why does people hate TN so much? They're cheap and pretty good for both gayman and programming.

People have this weird stigma because they used to be bad. That DELL gayming monitor with gsync is pretty good

Is it somehow reprehensible to try and send back monitors until you find one you like or without flaw? Asking for a friend.

Recent ips from tn here
Both are shit the oled on my phone is better fuck wasting hundreds on a outdated shit backlit screen.
Get something cheap used

Maybe you just dont get to frame rates high enough to see it but it just eliminates lag from vsync plus with freesync 2 you get automatic hdr and 1ms input delay

Please don't make me buy a LG 32GK850G. It's supposedly the best 1440p gs*nc to watch and play games in the dark on, but it's 670 burgerbucks, though.

Attached: 1521727654823.jpg (784x854, 173K)

>mfw VG248QE
Maybe it's just because I'm blind but it looks great to me. Lightboost somehow makes the colors look better than when it's turned off and eliminates 99% of ghosting. I can never go back.

Attached: 1486596119809.jpg (1920x1536, 404K)

32" without a curve (on paper) sounds a bit excessive.

I need a reason to get a Acer Predator XB271HU over the LG that isn't "it's nearly $200 cheaper".

Never mind. Found a reason.

Attached: 1525097672954.jpg (878x502, 17K)

Any of you guys have a Acer Predator Z301C? How's the blacks? This one has g-sync and ULMB. I don't see why there should be a problem with an ultra-wide.

One may wonder why even bother with IPS when you're essentially playing a lottery with the best outcome being "getting your money back".

>What's the consensus on them?
Don't use them in pitch black rooms or try to do 144 Hz gaymen on them, and enjoy your angle-independent color.
Only idiots believe that any one type of TFT panel can be best at everything, so get the right type for your needs.

It is not too much of a lottery if you don't go for the cheapest option possible.
The only exception is with 144hz 1440p ips monitors, all the panels with those specs come from one manufacturer and the quality control is FUBAR. I don't think a perfect 144hz 1440p ips monitor exists, "winning the lottery" means you found a panel barely good enough not to make your eyes bleed
I returned to my 1080p ips monitor and it has practically no ips bleed-desu

Jfc that's a rip-off grt one used for half the price or better yet wait for Xmas boxing day new years sales fuck buying that overpriced cheap shit full retail mate
T. Aussie I know your pain

After hours and hours and hours of searching and weighing my options, I think I'm going with the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q over the LG 32GH650G as an upgrade from my BenQ GW2760HS mostly because of this one video. youtube.com/watch?v=b-gUsxVTw84
I noticed this shit playing a dark walking simulator and looking between leaves on the trees. Unless the LG 32GH650G has fixed this at framerates 60hz and below, it's a deal breaker. The TN panel will be not have as deep blacks, but it doesn't have light bleed and it has everything and ULMB. Someone stop me, please.

Attached: 1525389351740.jpg (899x109, 33K)

>tfw bought QHD 24" IPS 2 years ago for 250$
>no(no) backlight bleed at all

IPS panels are literally the only good ones worth buying in the market, it's not up for debate. Fucking buy it you stupid yenki senki, I live in a shithole and none of my 5 IPS panels have failed me in any way.

I played the lottery about 6 months back on those very monitors and lost horribly every time. It should be noted they're not really IPS despite marketing claims, they're AHVA which is faster but shittier. They also glow like fucking crazy in the dark to the point they drove me mad (not even taking into account the horrific bleed issues).

Stay the hell away from those things, they're just not worth it. My old, dying IPS Dell from 7 years ago looks better than they ever will. Fuck monitors in 2018.

so 99% of IPS screens are all from the same manufacturer.
so ur just rolling dice with backlight bleed.
I got a 4k 32in LG 32UD59-B 32 (VA) and liking it so far. colors are WAY better than my other 144hz/1440p S2716DG (TN).

AMVA master race

Well yeah real IPS panels can't do 144hz

that's because it's a true IPS panel, 60hz
Only the 60hz panels are true IPS, the rest are trash in disguise.

>that's because it's a true IPS panel
mine is a VA panel though.
VA is in between IPS and TN color/response wise.

Samsung and LG make their own panels.