"We have a very agile and streamlined work-environment for our developers here, user...

>"We have a very agile and streamlined work-environment for our developers here, user. You can take your seat right over there!"
Is open-plan the objectively worst way for the code monkey to work?

Attached: 1543277282140.jpg (1920x1440, 255K)

Other urls found in this thread:

equaltimes.org/homeless-in-silicon-valley-how-the
nypost.com/2017/11/07/silicon-valleys-car-people-push-homeless-crisis-to-the-brink/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Holy fuck i hate open plan with a passion. Can we go back to 90's style cubicles please

As long as people are quiet most of the time, I like it.

I feel like people are blaming the pattern when the people are the actual fault.
Coordinate with your team and use the methods that work for your group.

Imagine the smell.

>oh no I have to wear noise cancelling headphones!

Probably not bad since there aren't any darkies

People are not quiet.

if work environment rules had same as library i would enjoy it, but not too many companies have this policy in place because they take phone calls

The people at the company I work for are quiet, and clean Work for a better company.

That room lacks proper ventilation. It probably smells like spoiled söy-milk.

>Boss I NEED a cherry MX-blue keyboard because it's less stress on my fingers and I can type faster with it, and they're only $150 that's chump change!
>CLICKCILCLICLKCKCLCICKCLKCLKCLCKCLICKLCKCILCKCLICLKCLCICKCLCLKCLCK
Most people at work don't laugh and shout really loud but god damn stop using loud autistic toys at work keep them at home kiddos.

I used to think this is awful but lately, I've been watching myself and around people, i tend to not procrastinate 24/7 like when i'm alone.
The fear of people seeing my screen is too real so the only thing i can do is work.

This but unironically

>Is open-plan the objectively worst way for the code monkey to work?
only if you're shoved in a closet with way too many people. if you're in a giant campus like google, where you can work anywhere its pretty cool.

get your employer to purchase a pair of bose qc35 headphones

Looks pretty comfy desu

There is this fucking kid in my school who brings his shitty cherry blue mechanical keyboard to the study lounge in the CS building.

I love my mx blue keyboard but holy fuck I would never spite my office by bringing it in. Hell, it stays in my room and I wouldn't take it anywhere.

It depends on the code, and it depends on the monkey.
Often simple/known things can be written even with distractions, but how much the distractions impact you (and what is a distraction even) varies from person to person.
Open-plan is just a way for clueless business owners to cut on costs but still be able to rationalize the change as something "trendy" for the workers.

>bring in your hhkb
>everyone 'mirin

Attached: 1417833980712.gif (387x402, 305K)

More like the office just silently judges you after I tell everyone you bought a 30000 yen rubberdome.

I recently learned the appeal of a tenkeyless, or at the very least, a keypad on the left side rather than the right.
But I love my current keyboard besides that.
One day I think I'm going to have to comission a custom keyboard and I worry that my co workers will think I'm too autistic.
But it's basically an extension of my arm at this point. I got another one in case the first one broke after years of use, and am using the replacement now so I guess it was a good call.

Only autists who want their cubicles so they don't have to communicate hate this. please grow up.

Attached: 564131.jpg (717x576, 37K)

Who are you even shiling for?

Workers in open offices communicate less as a direct consequence of needing more privacy.

I'll shill for whatever Jow Forums dislikes.

>mfw I worked at a company with an open office/open plan
>my monitors were perfectly situated so everyone could see them, including people walking by from other departments
>had constant anxiety even though I never had anything shady onscreen
I fucking despise open plans

>doing masters
>professor who did post doc at "''''''''''''sillicon vally''''''''''''''''' joins
>grad student seating is arranged as pic related
>"guys, we need to rearrange the student seating, everyone at stanford start ups sits in an open office, I'm even going to give up my office and sit with you guys!!"
>spend 2 weeks and thousands of dollars rearranging to look like an "open office"
>grad students start to hate each other because of annoyances, space conflicts, etc
>professor never comes down
>3/4 of his PhD students leave, both masters leave
The power of the open office.

Attached: office-cubicles-boston.jpg (767x540, 248K)

It's almost like certifications don't actually make you a good person capable of contributing to society and it takes actual personal merit along with willingness to cooperate to be successful as a team.

what the fuck is a "streamlined environment"

imagine the mundane people

looks miserable

>cubicles
Hell no.

Only thing worse than open plan.
Just make proper rooms.

Don't know about privacy, but talking near the desks makes everybody hate you and everybody ends up wearing headphones so it's very hard to start a conversation anyways.

People communicate much better in a room of 3 or 4 team members.

it's okay, you can call them niggers

>be me
>work in open office
>use open back headphones (Grade sr225e) and mechanical keyboard
>sip my coffee loudly to savor the taste and annoy coworkers

Attached: cutePepe.png (3000x3000, 945K)

Ah, the fossile known as a "troll"

I'm a high functioning autist. I basically just kept my headphones on and churned out tons of high quality code. Fortunately, management realized I was there to work and not socialize with a bunch of grade schoolers so they gave me a promotion, raise and my own office.

Attached: DscywyuVsAEGrD3.jpg (675x1200, 126K)

low wall cubicles are good imo. you get your own space that is clearly separated from your coworkers, but you don't have to get up to have a conversation with a coworker either.

I used to work somewhere with high wall cubicles, and while the privacy is nice, people never talked to each other as a result

>Jow Forums is contrarian
>this guy is contrarian to Jow Forums being contrarian
meta contrarianism is unironically based as fuck, keep it up, these autists need a reality check every once and a while

You're never going to get proper rooms. No company does this for normal wagies. cubicles or wfh is the best you can get today.

Open Office, especially broiler rooms, is cancer.

Studies have shown open office design is the worst for productivity and make you sick more often. They create way too much distraction via various means. Not that it matters to the actual company since they did broiler rooms to save on money.

It saves $20k per employer per year. I'd rather have that go to my paycheck (or dividends as a shareholder).

It's mentally better. But productively worse.
In cubicles, you get twice the work done but tend to suffer more withdrawal and mental issues, hence why you had a higher staff turn over and why women generally couldn't work there.
In open plan, you can get female workers but suffer from social interactions eating into your productivity while generally having more mentally stable employees.

Cubicles are better imo in non-call centres. In call centres, it's better to have open plan. If you have programmers of value tho, just give them rooms. High functioning autists are the corner stone of any programming business and rooms enable them to burn oil without others annoying them. Also makes them feel valued while you profit off their labour and hire people off their work to find more autists.

I didn't mind it too much, but the fact that like we took a vote and no one wanted it but he insisted sort of put a bad taste in everyones mouth. The worst part was the type people that would come and stand behind you when they could clearly see you writing or reading a paper to be like "what ya working on?" Productivity honestly went down to almost nonexistent levels.

>the fact that like we took a vote and no one wanted it but he insisted sort of put a bad taste in everyones mouth
This adds to what I was saying. I think it's unfair to blame the concept when it's the participants and/orl eader who is more to blame here.
Perhaps the other model would have been better for your group in this case but that doesn't make the open concept bad in general. The fact that you where shoehorned in despite knowing in advance it was not desirable by most members, was being set up for failure.

>It saves $20k per employer per year. I'd rather have that go to my paycheck (or dividends as a shareholder).
>He thinks that those profits don't just end up as a CEO bonus
lmao

personally, the only thing I hate more than "open-plan" is the fuax cubicals with the walls that are about as high as your shoulder or some other ridiculously low wall.

There's a reason why Google and Facebook pay their employees 700k and your shitty cuck government job with an office pays 70k.

>t.boss

are you implying that this is because of open offices?

I thought they pay that much because that's the only incentive strong enough to draw people to silicon valley and live in a dilapidated apartment with homeless people defecating outside despite your 6 figure pay.

There are no homeless people in Silicon Valley.

Normally, employers would think you lack teamwork and fire you though

Jow Forums retards think san francisco is silicon valley, yikes.

equaltimes.org/homeless-in-silicon-valley-how-the

>Homeless in Silicon Valley: how the heartland of global tech became the epicentre of a housing crisis

>Jow Forums retards think san francisco is silicon valley, yikes.

Is living in your car not considered homeless to you NEETs?

nypost.com/2017/11/07/silicon-valleys-car-people-push-homeless-crisis-to-the-brink/

BTFO!!!

Literally never seen a single homeless people my 5 years there. Just live and work in the good neighborhoods.

what possible motive could you have for lying on a chinese cartoon forum?

>muh pol boogieman as dismissal
>but gets immediately btfo'd with facts
sooooo can we learn Jow Forums is always right from this? I think we can.

Attached: 1544199501949.jpg (511x671, 41K)

I'm that guy who wears too much body spray. I know this and I do it anyways.

Attached: 1530123308297.jpg (511x671, 33K)

>That dickhead with the loud obnoxious laugh.
I swear I will put a bullet through his brain one day.

I filed a complaint regarding your comment with the national Incel Harassment Coordinated Response Team. Your social credit score has been lowered accordingly and your browsing history has been flagged and will be monitored for any further aggressive comments. Have a nice day.

is this a response team on behalf of incels, or one against incels?

Work from home is the best. I'm never going back to working from an office

I once brought a MX brown keyboard to office. Everyone was annoyed and made me stop using it

>giving a FUCK what code monkeys want

Attached: 1532509215151.jpg (366x493, 21K)

>TFW upper management and have an office with windows and a door.

Attached: Bateman.jpg (400x400, 32K)

Yes.

I've noticed surprosingly few people ITT are arguing for having their own office. Would you rather not sit i your own office than among people? Or is it a dying phenomenon zoomers just don't appreciate anymore?

Legitimatley currious.

This. Even when I'm not doing anything wrong it just breaks my spirit knowing that any literally who that walks behibd me can judge my code and my progression.

>meta contrarianism
Stream the suicide.

It's funny that 700k a year isn't enough to stop people from killing themselves on fucking mass at those companies. It's almost as if there exists other things than money.

>management cucks thinking they will have a job in 10 years

>codemonkey cucks thinking they will have a job in 5 years

Fuck I've been working on my computer science degree thinking I could get a job sitting in a room by myself, working on a project alone and not have to deal with human interaction and now I'm learning modern shops are all open floor and collaborative with expected after-work socializing. Are there even programming jobs anymore where I can be the basement dweller I am and still make money?

does it count as "open office" if we're in what used to be a meeting room with our desks clustered together in the middle?

also the guy that sits near me eats loudly, thank fuck for my noise cancelling headphones

>t. beurocrat

If you don't at least have cubicle walls partitioning your space from others, then you are indeed in an open office. Sucks to be you.

>I've noticed surprosingly few people ITT are arguing for having their own office
That's because most people understand that that is simply an impossible ask. It's expensive and unfeasible

Dumb. Ass. Do you really believe that bringing cube walls to the ceiling and adding a door would be infinity gorillion dollars? No, it'd be like a grand. So why isn't it done? Management is absolutely full of psychotic control freaks who are terrified that someone will fill find out they don't do anything all day. They need to be able to make themselves feel useful by meddling with your work in utterly braindead ways.

>not owning your own company
HAHAHAHAHA

>The women's job is to send emails asking the men sitting next to them to do work
Why do they employ women in this environment?

>stationary phones
>programmers
Looks more like tech support, desu.

Women are equally as competent as men.

>Fire you for quality work
???

Muscular tuxedo Pepe it's the worst meme ever.

I was referring to all sorts of dark skinned people, not just niggers
What's the catch-all term?

Small team offices are the ideal to me as I do like my co-workers and unironically do team work. Private offices are pretty lonely if your job description doesn't involve meeting other people.

That's right
Probably impossible to understand to an autistic person, but it happens

Yeah I'm so autistic for thinking that getting fired for being good at your job is absurd. Good thing I work at a grocery store so I'll won't have to worry about job security for the next good while. Working in the technology industry is a meme in the first place, just work retail, fags.

Attached: IMG_-shnioz.jpg (1019x1019, 257K)

That's still better than the all-MacBook basedboi faggotry.

You might write good code but if you can't communicate you aren't good at the job. This isn't hard to understand.

there's no jobs where you can be a basement dweller. Even if you work from home you're going to have to manage to acquire clients that will let you work from home in the first place, and if you're the basement dweller type you don't have the social skills to do that.

You'd be surprised (or maybe not) how often these overlap.

What are you on about user? Many companies encourage the "home office" culture. The ultimate way to save on office-space is to not GIVE workers office space at all.

I worked for a company that had about 30 employees and one office and a conference room as their base of operations. The daily manager got the office at the base, and the conference room was used for client-meetings and shit. Me and literally ALL the other devs were just given a good budget for work-for-home computers, and the office would pay for our chairs and desks and shit.

It worked really well as the job pushed a heavy email/voice-chat/text-chat-culture. I worked there for three years and I barely left home for anything but food, the occasional meet-and-greet for work and other bare necessities.

It is really rare to see a company put that much faith in its employees though, and I doubt its a particularly common system. The manager expected high-quality code on his desk at the deadline, and (by his own words) "he didn't care if we worked on the moon as long as the product was good".

I worked for something like that too except there were 2-3 conference halls (maybe we worked for the same company? Denmark?). The company exclusively hired experienced senior coders that didn't need any handholding, and essentially went out of their way to give us a lunch-budget, expensive chairs and huge desks to keep us at home.

Their policy was very simple:
>Meet all your deadlines with working well-made code
>Don't meet a deadline? You're given a few days to a week extra, but your failure is noted.
>Fail to meet too many deadlines or fail to clear the assignment within the added time? You're given a formal warning.
>Get a few formal warnings? You're fired.

Of course it all reset if you went a month or two without failing to meet a deadline. I don't remember the exact time. The only real downside was that after a while they got really stingy with the time you were given.

You would often get problems with maybe 5 lines of poor explanation as to what the issue was, and be given like 4 work-hours and a 2-day-deadline to get it implemented AND cleared with the testers. It became really stressful and I and other coworkers would often work unpaid way beyond the 4 work-hour limit because the manager didn't understand the complexity of the problem.

I hate everything about the work environment. The open office, the micromanagement, JIRA, programming itself, etc.

oh I forgot air conditioning and lack of sunlight.