/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>A plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: x230vt410-2.jpg (1600x1203, 169K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JgWyGKf_WlM
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a1kyhq/highlights_from_the_collection_1_the_oldschool/
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a2d0dg/highlights_from_the_collection_2_the_elders/
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a2nehc/highlights_from_the_collection_3_the_millenials/
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a2ygjg/highlights_from_the_collection_4_the_a_team/
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a2yhbk/highlights_from_the_collection_5_the_r_models/
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a3e9bd/highlights_from_the_collection_6_the_early_ts/
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a3s7bz/highlights_from_the_collection_7_the_t43s/
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a3xofh/highlights_from_the_collection_8_lots_and_lots_of/
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a4a3kf/highlights_from_the_collection_9_twisters/
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a4jzfx/highlights_from_the_collection_10_the_wrapup_the/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

thinkpads FUCK YEAR

Attached: 1544294251254.jpg (4160x3120, 2.59M)

Just cracked my x220t screen high on acid wat do

install gentoo

I need a new laptop for general business usage (office, browser etc.). What's the least I can spend that will still feel good. No second-hand because corporation is paying for it.

Attached: IMG_20181206_155759.jpg (5312x2988, 2.22M)

tada68?

Where can i find them cheap? A flea market?
I wanna go to one but its pretty cold, since its an outside one.

Yes

Attached: 1-Pc-Kobiety-Dziewczyny-Anime-Kaomoji-kun-Emotiction-Usta-mufy-Opieki-zdrowotnej-Kawaii-Bawe-na-Anti (640x640, 112K)

nice I just bought one with the metal case on 11.11. haven't gotten home to use it yet but it seems like a good board. got it with blacks, looking forward to ricing it out with QMK.

Attached: 2018-11-28-1543451778.png (1600x900, 1.64M)

cringing at fans playing thinkpad centipede

My x220 arrived today. Unfortunately one of the keys seems to pop off when I'm typing fast. Any recommendations on the best place to buy a replacement key cap?

didn't even think about that cuz i had the window open

Hello Jow Forumsentlemen, I'm looking for the cheapest Thinkpad (or alternative) I can get that can run Qubes 4.0 with all features.

Is the T450s any good?

>Qubes 4 requires SLAT (EPT on Intel, RVI on AMD) and IOMMU (VT-d on Intel, AMD-Vi/AMD IOMMU on AMD). TPM is also reccomended for Anti Evil-Maid, but not required. I can vouch for Qubes on ThinkPads, I use 3.2 on my X220 (which is pretty cheap) and it should also be compatible with 4.x once that releases.

I like the T450s because it allegedly has long battery life and it seems to support everything required for Qubes, and it's only $200-350.

Recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks!

Attached: t450s.jpg (1100x653, 506K)

Just buy a whole keyboard.

Who here is developing a thinkproblem

Attached: 20181207_221405.jpg (4160x3120, 2.79M)

Attached: 20181207_211103.jpg (4160x3120, 2.76M)

>giant bezel
>numpad
>tiny trackpad
lol

I own a TS450, it's good, much faster than my old TS430. In hindsight, I should've waited a little longer for a deal on a TS460-70 with touchscreen.
Other than that, it's a quality business machine

>>Year of our lord 2018
>>uniroinically putting a VGA port on a laptop

Good lord those look awful.

well the lower two are from 2010 and the upper three are from 2012

Those laptops are over 6+ years old. They've got display ports as well. Why do you like losing features?

Quick question for you guys, How do you guys carry your thinkpads around? Do you throw them in a backpack? Use a briefcase? Or something else perhaps?

My autism is spiking really hard to try to figure out what is the most optimal way to carry my thinkpad with me when I got to school and work.

Attached: war.jpg (1400x788, 371K)

I unironically have an IBM-branded backpack
also I feel so bad for her, wow

Wow, do all mutts look like this?

Hope serving the jews was worth it.

I have a small leather side bag with a laptop compartment that fits it perfectly. Go nuts

Don't worry he died of a heroin overdose, the Jews got him twice it seems.

What's the best distro for x200 tablet? I want to be able to use the digitizer.

Attached: bestlinux.jpg (1563x1563, 166K)

So how thick is the x230, actually?

Websites say 0.75" - 1.05". Why do they vary in thickness??

was the x220 peak thinkpad?

It might be .75" open and 1.05" closed.

I just bought a t470s instead of a more expensive latitude 7490, now I've got buyers remorse. I didn't fuck up did I?

huh, that makes sense. I would think that the closed thickness is what matters much more than the thickness of the bottom part while it's open though.

windows

checked for truth

Attached: 1457263247935.jpg (700x520, 88K)

Never have thinkpad here. Is this worth the price?

Attached: DSC_0067.jpg (4608x2592, 3.92M)

Will one of these minidisplayport docks work on t430?

Attached: file.png (350x350, 125K)

Yes, they should work

Don't see why not - mini displayport is mini displayport. It'd handle all that shit.

Not really worth the price. But it's not a bad laptop. Just stick with lightweight software, use an SSD and it'll be great.

sorry bad image

Can it handle ethernet or usb as well?

My x280 is a little loose in my rucksack sleeve,
so use a fabric padded case so it fits snug.

no
>The display border does not react well under direct sunligh

Attached: csm_IMG_4305_Kopie_602f742a63.jpg (1800x1200, 390K)

>1280x800

Yikes

What laptop should I get for playing vidya on?
My old man wants to get me a computer as a birthday/Christmas gift since my laptop now is covered in tape and has wires hanging out of it. Unfortunately, it must be a laptop (hectic living conditions; tower not an option) and I’m 90% looking to get something already assembled since the person buying it isn’t a big computer person.
What are my options/where could I find them? Last time I tried to get a new laptop without asking for Jow Forums‘s help, I ended up with integrated intel graphics on a meme computer, but I’ll never be an ingrate. I’m able to steer the ship a bit here, so I’ll try what I can.

Attached: 5BF7B91F-A8DB-4047-AA8C-BCC57EC9752E.jpg (758x631, 86K)

ThinkPad is no good for gaming. If you want a gaming laptop get something with at least a GTX 1060. MSI is usually the best option.

>*notices bulge*
UwU

X280 with i5 or T470 with i7?

X220 and X230 with xx20 keyboard is peak thinkpad

Also W/T520 and W/T530 with xx20 keyboard

grandpa, the sandybridge it's becoming too slow

>implying Intel has made any advancements in the past 7 years

It's all the same 14nm bullshit.

One can only wish to have lead a life as great as yours.

i feel the difference even in web browsing or everyday tasks

Placebo.

literally how

Unless you're referring to the Ryzen Thinkpads, this is bullshit

I see, I should’ve also mentioned that I do have a T400, as to keep relevant to the thread. Solid piece of hardware. Nice keyboard as well.
Are there any MSI models or specifically hardware I should avoid if possible? How dramatic of a difference is i7 vs i5 if I play anything other than dwarf fortress?

Attached: 9DEB0497-D455-457E-9C80-253996403953.jpg (625x468, 38K)

>Anything other than dwarf fortress
well since this could literally be anything other than DF, it's kinda hard to say.

hi

Attached: 20181209_144718.jpg (3984x2988, 3.2M)

Nob really ThinkPad but how are the ryzen elitebooks in terms of performance and Linux support?

youtube.com/watch?v=JgWyGKf_WlM

is the x1 extreme worth it

unity unironically

T450s owner here. It's the most modern TP with the features I wanted (removable battery, decent 1080p screen, trackpad with buttons, reasonably pricepoint) The T460s is worse in many aspects - got a better cpu though. The latest models aren't worth the price in my opinion. It's fans are set to be quite sensitive though (starting at 45c°) - Just get TP Fan control and you'll be fine.

Typical case of something I shouldn’t’ve said. Looks like i7 is pretty much a must
I haven’t even TOUCHED on graphics cards yet. Going to need to take a few days running numbers and price matching after I even find out which is the best I could get in a pre built machine without asking too much.

Check out this dude's collection of fuccpads.
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a1kyhq/highlights_from_the_collection_1_the_oldschool/
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a2d0dg/highlights_from_the_collection_2_the_elders/
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a2nehc/highlights_from_the_collection_3_the_millenials/
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a2ygjg/highlights_from_the_collection_4_the_a_team/
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a2yhbk/highlights_from_the_collection_5_the_r_models/
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a3e9bd/highlights_from_the_collection_6_the_early_ts/
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a3s7bz/highlights_from_the_collection_7_the_t43s/
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a3xofh/highlights_from_the_collection_8_lots_and_lots_of/
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a4a3kf/highlights_from_the_collection_9_twisters/
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a4jzfx/highlights_from_the_collection_10_the_wrapup_the/
Salute to a real one.

Attached: a_lot_of_pads.jpg (4032x3024, 1.4M)

>but I'll never be an ingrate
>ingrate
thanks user, looked it up, you taught me a new word
for the PC, what's the budget?

No, X220 already had Lenovo slide towards a garbage quality
X20X was the last real line

If you want Thinkpad, I'd consider the new Ryzen Thinkpads. Those can be handy enough. For more heavy duty graphics, I'd look at Clevo/Sager if you're not looking to spend P-series money on a laptop.

Is it worth the effort to buy RAM/storage myself versus upgrading it on the Lenovo website?

W530 with older keyboard mod
Yes

Attached: IMG_20181209_101905.jpg (2688x1512, 797K)

should I be looking into the t460/70s instead of the t450s? mainly I just want good price-performance and all of the features enabled, I don't care about superfluous performance or things like that, it's mostly gonna be web browsing and light compiling but with lots of memory usage due to the VMs

Marine Sgt. Tyler Ziegel was seriously wounded by a suicide car bomber while serving his second tour in Iraq.
He spent 19 months in surgery and recovery at Brooke Army Medical Center in Texas. He was supported
through this time by his fiancee, Renee Kline and his family. In 2006, Ziegel and Kline married and divorced
shortly thereafter. Ziegel tragically died of heroin and alcohol poisoning in 2012.

fucking hell

I had an x220 and it was trash. The stupid two-piece display split at the top, exactly like you'd expect, and the screen was of utter shit quality. It's the only laptop that I ever got white spots on.

just fuck off, retard

it's funny how the IPS panel on the X200T was way better than on the X220T/X230T

Bros, I'm kinda regretting buying a T450, I don't like it that much. I think I should have bought a T430 and a few simple mods. Maybe I'll finally like it once I find a FHD panel in Alleyexpress (since mine came with the god awful 768p screen)

fucking far from it, the xx20 and xx30 had some of the worst build quality in any flagship Thinkpads ever, they just happen to be the last ones besides the 25AE that are able to use the classic keyboard so they are revered beyond their other merits in the enthusiast circles

X60 and T60 were peak Thinkpad. Everything got worse after the X200 and got better after xx30.

is that stalker?

>W530
lmao, no. the k2000m is fucking ancient in terms of graphics power. you'd be better off with a t420 and an eGPU if your budget is that low.

bye

yeah the x230 feels quite cheap but still solid

it's probably a lot faster than the x200 though ;)

Im trying to install debian on my thinkpad x60s but in the bios boot menu it doesn't detect any os on the usb drive that lm trying to do it from. What am l doing wrong?

Attached: 1540335956419.png (376x397, 243K)

Rude. This is nice board.
But while we're on the subject of surface area, the one with two heatpipes that I just put into my laptop has less copper above the CPU die. I don't know why two pipes make a difference in a world where a) the two pipes are the same width as the single pipe, and b) the single pipe one has the same orientation as the dual-pipe one, except the single-pipe one stretches the whole of the pipe up to the top, while the dual pipe one only stretches one pipe up. I'm almost tempted to believe it's a difference between the two fans, since the one with the two heatpipes has a significantly louder fan than the old one when matching RPM-for-RPM.

Attached: fans.jpg (1000x888, 604K)

Why did you put a potato upscaler on that photo? Seriously, that's like xga resolution if you want it sharp. You make my eyes hurt, and disappoint your dad user.

phone camera

>
New thread

you do know that the bump limit is 300, retard?

Well since there's 2 tpg threads going at once below the bump I thought I'd start a third

:v)

Why are you trying to sound rude? I know you have so much love to giveaway

post in

new thread, this one is old.

What's a good 15.6" buddy for my X220? W520?

no

Attached: tpg--.png (532x339, 122K)

>3 threads of the same thing
Doesn't really help your point.

Have any of you replaced the trackpad sticker on an X250 or newer?

Get another screen, they're cheap. Also, in the future leave your electronics alone while tripping.

T450s is an awesome thinkpad for the price. I was able to average about 9 hours of heavy use with the extended battery.

They're not wrong. On paper, the i7-4600U in my X240 should be about on par with the i7-2640M in my X220. In practice, it blows it out of the water, low voltage and all.

The X270 is technically the newest model that fits all of your feature requirements.