Best Jow Forums approved mp3 player?

No recommendations on the wiki, I checked.

Any suggestions?

Attached: serveimage(8).jpg (500x500, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ifixit.com/Store/iPod/iPod-4G-Hard-Drive-Cable/IF193-003-1
iflash.xyz/store/4th-gen-converter/
iflash.xyz/store/
ifixit.com/Guide/iPod 4th Generation or Photo Hard Drive Cable Replacement/392
amazon.com/Card-1-8-inch-Adapter-IPOD/dp/B004FD1D2C
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

clip+
ipod classic
benjie t6
xduoo x3
pretty much anything with rockbox

shanling m0

Ruizu X02
The thing is simple, light as heck, cheap, looks good, great battery life and you can use it with gloves (live in Eastern blocc so last point is important)

Cowon Plenue D is pretty good.

>96 hour battery life
>32GB built-in with microSD slot
>great sound quality
>TRRS balanced output
>gapless playback

What's trrs and gapless playback?

I was looking for a thread like this.
I really liked the 6th gen ipod nano a friend gave me in highschool.
It was perfect until the power button stopped working.

ZuneHD

I heard some FiiOs are good.

fanboy here, suggesting anything Sony.

iPhone SE or whatever the 10XCYZ model is now

Overpriced

Just use your phone. Don't carry multiple devices like a virgin

Using a clip zip after losing my clip +, absolutely fantastic with rockbox, but tricky to get because they stopped making them quite a while ago and online they're sold for insane prices, took the hit when getting the clip zip but I doubt I'd do it again.
Any decent ones that are STILL produced or dis everyone give up with smartphones?

clip zip is king of rockbox players. smallest form factor, microsd slot, readable screen and good battery life.

just put an bid on ebay auctions for no more than $40 and be patient.

>Just use your phone
???

Attached: ff.jpg (488x488, 21K)

AP80

fpbp

TRRS is a type of output that does nothing and is used as a marketing schtick

gapless playback removes sound where there is no music playing from recordings

based zoomer

mp3 is for mongoloids
now is FLAC the main reference audio format

Attached: 6896554D-DA05-4589-9EC3-1193EE67D2FD.jpg (2500x2500, 268K)

Had this shit in 2006, was great. It's big but that's because its a 2.5in HDD in your pocket. But hey, 60gb of music in 2006 was basically infinite.

Attached: toshiba gigabeat f60.jpg (291x500, 33K)

you have great taste

trrs enables volume/playback control (or something else) on buttons that are located on the headset

I remember falling for the meme that is op's pic
>100 eurobucks
>16gb
>no option to make que or playlist
>screen broke in my pocket
without a doubt my worst purchase ever.Any smartphone will do better

A few questions:
What's the point of a dedicated music player if you have a smart phone? Are there any advantages to it?

Is FLAC the ultimate lossless audio format? Is it a Free Software approved standard?

dedicated player have better amp and dac
flac is a free open source codec

a damn smartphone.

But surely you use a DAC and amp in combination with it?

Whatever media player works with STAX

ipod 6 gen /thread

this

you can send analog output from any pmp to stax amp

phone

i take it you use spotify?

>waste phone battery on music

zishan

>ipod
an iphone without the ability to make phone calls
its really beyond me how anybody could suggest this in Jow Forums of all places

>if you have a smart phone?

You won't drain your battery so quickly.

You're gonna like Shanling m0.

compared to wifi/4g music playback is nowhere near in consumption

TRRS is just the type of plug. It's the "balanced" part that I was trying to highlight.

Normal headphones have 3 terminals--left positive, right positive, and they use a common terminal for both the left and right negatives. Balanced headphones have 4 terminals, left positive, right positive, left negative, and right negative; thus, the left and right negatives are isolated from each other.

It's not really a "better" type of headphone connector or anything, But if you do end up with one, you won't have to use an adapter if your digital audio player supports it.

Attached: TRRS1.jpg (311x162, 8K)

Balanced TRRS does not enable any kind of playback control.

Loud
Battery lasts forever and charges fast as fuck
SD card slot
Sturdy
Super cheap

Attached: 61JcDcvz1zL._SX466_.jpg (466x466, 24K)

The Pioneer XDP30R is very good if you can get it on sale.

looks good, ebay says it plays "lossless", does this mean FLAC? I'd like that a lot.

>2018
>Wearing headphones
I think I officially outgrown Jow Forums

Just buy a good walkman

Attached: IMG_20181209_101303.jpg (3480x4640, 2.56M)

I have one. scroll wheel fucked up after about a year and I had to spray the wheel with contact cleaner to fix it

Judging from the "2116KBPS" it should, but I can't confirm.

Doesn't drain your phone battery and if you use it in the gym you won't waste time playing with it in between sets.

Probably going to get mine this week, been having to use my phone for a couple of weeks and I'm stoked to get away from it.

What are considered the top three Walkman models?

Looks a bit chinky there.

80 hours, i think it is not maximum. Is there any mp3 players with batterry 7-15 days for example?

Why would I cope when I can get something with nicer sound configuration options, replaceable SD cards on the go and media buttons to pause, skip and fast forward without having to wake up screen for fairly cheap?

But is it rockbox compatible?

Which of those can scroll through a 3 hour podcast at a reasonable speed?

If you can still get them, the Zunes are excellent. Alternatively get an older ipod and put rockbox on it.

> anything with rockbox

Ipod classic 5.5 generation w/Wolfson DAC
Modded to accept SD card memory
Extended battery
Rockbox firmware

>waiting on parts for my 5.5 gen build. I made a modded 3rd gen and it's fucking cool.

>pretty much anything with rockbox
base

Attached: big_1473594544_image.jpg (1280x544, 26K)

Fiio X series is breddy gud on its own but being able to double as a plug in DAC+amp makes it really great if you don't already have an external DAC and your soundcard sucks.
My gen 1 X3 is still rockin after 4+ years.

But does it play .ogg files?

>shanling m0
how high does the clip work with microsd? i have an ipod rockboxed with 128 storage and the hold is fucked on it and debating if fixing the hold switch is worth it or just getting something else.. i need something to hold 11k+ songs

oop, had something else copied.

>how high does the clip work with microsd?
Anything that supports a >32GB card supports a 2TB card, but as you get up there the device will reach other limitations such as RAM. I don't know when the Clip starts to shit itself

i figure if my ipod completely shits out, as long as an mp3 player can be rockboxed and can support 128gb micro sd ill be okay. i really never shuffle all anyways so it wouldnt bee too bad right?

This.
My ZuneHD is still running after 9 years.
Featured packed and sounds good.
Too bad M$FT killed it.

This little guy is great whenever im at the gym or driving. Filled it up with shitty complitations from youtube.

I got a broken 4th gen i found years ago.
Should i repair it? i want to put it one of those clear shells

Attached: microfuck.jpg (2833x2190, 926K)

unrelated but damn i like your music

>noise cancellation scam tech
should had gotten the basic model with a better earpiece

>Is FLAC the ultimate lossless audio format?

NO. That would be DSD 128

Attached: 523d1aff-0b8d-408c-a103-584259e27667.jpg (1665x940, 248K)

> here is the only guy in the world who didn't loose the fucking nano proprietary charging / sync cable

D O N G L E D
O
N
G
L
E
D

which torrent site is this?

gentoo.ru

digits and rutracker

Attached: 1479509388047.jpg (1280x956, 1.44M)

JUST USE YOUR PHONE M8

Attached: Google-Pixel-3-and-Pixel-3-XL-price-and-release-date-our-expectations.jpg (680x453, 37K)

Literally did the exact same thing. Fuck lugging around the phone during exercise and streaming music.

As far as mp3 players currently manufactured, I'd say the current iteration of the sansa/sandisk. rip shuffle.

>ipod shuffle with hour long future funk mix
>the legendary squad goals mix
>dat oscillating fan at the beginning of the video
lmfao you are my type of guy

just kill yourself m8

just kill yourself m8

>listening to low quality FF mixes instead of downloading the free individual songs from bandcamp
>Not having every eurobeat masters cd
you are missing out friendo

Well the 4th gen might be worth repairing if it's just something like a bad battery or a hard drive issue. I would assume you would replace both those components with upgraded ones if youre tearing into the ipod anyway.
At worst it's the logic board, which is usually the most expensive part to replace, so in that case, the worthiness of the upgrade is your call.

There are two mayor issues. Battery as obvious and this, the flex thing on the board got fucked badly and i have no fucking clue how to repair it myself. Im already selling it on Ebay tho

Overall, i have no idea if the hdd works but at least the screen aint fucked when connecting the ipod to a power source

Attached: eh.jpg (4032x3024, 941K)

That's just the hdd to logic board ribbon cable.
A very cheap part to replace:
ifixit.com/Store/iPod/iPod-4G-Hard-Drive-Cable/IF193-003-1

Or you can go with a 4th gen Iflash adapter cable to accommodate something like a SD card:
iflash.xyz/store/4th-gen-converter/
iflash.xyz/store/

Yeah, i was also considering replacing the hdd for an sd-flash adapter. Im not so confident with my soldering skills but i'll get in touch with a friend that knows some ipod repair. I may just sell it to him if i see the project goes over my budget.
Many thanks for the insight, user.

Attached: 1519355197211.jpg (720x480, 37K)

No soldering needed pham.
ifixit.com/Guide/iPod 4th Generation or Photo Hard Drive Cable Replacement/392

How are you going to improve your skills if you don't take on a project every now and then? I know these things can be kinda scary starting out, but just take it slow, follow the instructions, have the proper tools, and you'll find it really isn't that difficult. I can't imagine you're going to get much money for the ipod as-is anyway, so you might as well tear into it and have some fun.
btw, the iflash adapters are a little spendy, but theyre good. You could just as easily get away with a generic adapter and a Compact Flash card.
amazon.com/Card-1-8-inch-Adapter-IPOD/dp/B004FD1D2C

just kill yourself m8

mp3 is more than enough

>stockholm sindrome

why fix what isn't broken?

Privacy when innawoods while still holding onto some basic comforts.

Not sturdy, screen broke from just being inside my backpack for a bit.

it reeks of low self confidence zoomer

5th gen iPod with the HDD swapped for microSD storage and rockbox installed is GOAT. I have 512GB on mine and the battery lasts like 20 hours because the microSD storage uses way less power than the old HDD did. No wifi botnet, no bluetooth botnet, no GPS botnet, no GSM botnet, just music.

6th and 7th gen iPods are trash with worse internal components and worse sound. Plus the aluminum frontplate makes modding it a massive main in the ass. Same goes for those sad abominations called iPod Touch.

Attached: http___img.tapatalk.com_d_14_10_08_ury9asag.jpg (420x675, 61K)

If you install Rockbox there's no difference between the 5th gen and 5.5th gen. They both use the same DAC, they both have the same onboard memory and CPU. The only difference is software and you're replacing it. I say this all because regular 5th gen iPods are WAY cheaper and easier to find that 5.5 gen because reddit has meme'd the 5.5 gen and reddit uses stock firmware with iTunes.

The only thing you should look out for is getting the 60/80GB model instead of the 30GB model, because there IS a difference between onboard memory for those. 60/80GB has more RAM, which is very very good for Rockbox. There's no RAM difference between 60GB and 80GB though, which goes back to the no real difference between 5 gen and 5.5 gen.

Be aware of the rockbox support, or, to be precise, lack of it. I had gen 5, rocboxed it and ended up with the bug, that doubled tracks in some albums (around 30% of whole library was affected). Apparently it is known from 2010 or so bug, but discussion closed with «working on my machine» reply from developer. If you can fix it yourself — good, I wasn't able and had to revert to stock fw.

Which device has the longest battery life?
Without marketing schlock and not being fuck huge.

Is there anything Jow Forums approved that doesn't use touchscreen? All I see are touchscreens and scrollwheels