Career thread

>age
>degree(s)
>location
>title
>salary
or
>ask for advice on how to get into (insert field)

Attached: 1539837885362.jpg (533x445, 61K)

BS in EECS
Seattle area
Software Engineer
130k base + 100k stock + 25k annual bonus + 25k oncall bonus
All I do is write Javascript.

hell yeah i love datamining threads

Attached: 1520929501564.jpg (750x739, 70K)

electrical technologist (3 year college)
canada
network tech

>age
>degree(s)
None
>location
Goa, India
>title
Network/Linux admin
>salary
20,000 USD/yr from home

Attached: 10_indian_beach_destinations_that_are_way_better_than_goa1.jpg (600x450, 58K)

MD
Los Angeles
Family physician

1 year into a software engineering degree
Chicago area
Fast food worker
$13 /hr

How does one stay motivated? As a total brainlet who was too smart for highschool and too dumb for college. This has completely destroyed any sense of work ethic that i had . My grades are good but I don't know if i can keep this up for 3-6 more years without advice on how to study/ re train my brain to make good habits.

Does being rich feel that good user?

so i need some advice in finding a career
>be me, from LA county area
>i guess better than average student, took shitton of APs in HS but got meh grades
>not so great in calc
>have a slight interest in brogrammen, but dont want to get a CS degree and depend on it for my career. no app designing shit
>generally interested in business, science, and tech
>thought i wanted to go into nuclear engineering but shit at chem
>want to stay away from shit that will be replaced by AI and software, general automation
any recommendations, I was thinking maybe a data scientist or some kind of engineer but im worried about being semi shit at math.

Attached: 1522178324424.jpg (810x780, 83K)

None
USA
Air Traffic Controller
$150,000
None of you are smart enough to be controllers rofl

>ask for advice on how to get into (insert field)
I'm interested in the networking field (and various others but that's my goal right now). I did the training for CCNA and got a 'certificate of training' but didn't feel nearly prepared for the exam itself so it's on hold, grabbed my A+ cuz it was easy. I suspect I need to start doing something in the IT field and advance my studies after work, and have been trying to get in for half a year now, but even call centers and volunteer positions won't take me. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, how do I gain professional experience?

i should also add, I want to strive for something big, like something especially involving science. I dont think I would mind working in some jobs, but I just dont see feeling satisfied or fulfilled in doing something that actually matters, as LARPy as that sounds. However, i dont know if im just striving too much. I've always had dreams of doing something that "makes a difference", but I just can't seem to find the career that fits that internal checkbox in my mind.

how2 become an sysadmin

Attached: hi.jpg (1600x1200, 515K)

BS in HIS, minor in Astronomy
Columbia
Radar and Data Operator
$110,000
people said that getting a degree in history wasn't worth it but I proved all the fags wrong

>>age
>>degree(s)
Computer Science
>>location
Texas
>>title
Software Engineer
>>salary
100k a year

>Does being rich feel that good user?
Feels pretty fucking good user

>sysadmin
Why? That job will be obsolete in a few decades.

>PhD in Math
>Any Job I Want
>300k Starting

Attached: math_phd.jpg (252x221, 9K)

>300k starting
lol sure

>age
>degree(s)
Information Technology from University of Delhi
>location
India
>title
Microsoft Certified Technical Support Agent
>salary
₹700,000

Newfag.

BS in EE
Northeast USA
Repair Mechanic for Radio Communications Infrastructure for a major government agency
$49/hr + mandatory overtime = ~$150k/yr
Great benefits and pension, strong union so I'm literally unfirable
enjoy your open plan offices, unpaid overtime, and getting fired for literally anything you private sector salarycucks

>20
>pursuing computer engineering major, recently switched from electrical engineering
>minneapolis
>not sure if I have one, embedded software co-op I guess
>$22/hour
Alright, at this point I've become skilled C and systems software in general. About 14,000 lines of my C and ARM asm code is now the heart of a couple dozen of our best-selling devices. I've done development on compilers, operating systems, and networking firmware. I can confidently write the backend for any industrial network stack, whether it's sitting on top of CAN, 802.3, 802.15, DLR, etherCAT, anything.
I have some ideas on how we could apply linear types and monads in hard real-time systems, to allow for provably deterministic behavior even with dynamic memory. I don't think I could ever convince my current employer to pursue something so nebulous, but I tend to have a bit of a cavalier approach to problem-solving that might not fare too well in academia.
Where the fuck do I go now? I've got a year and a half left of coursework before I have my bachelors, but this whole R&D thing is a hell of a drug. I want to go deeper. Should I get my masters? PhD? Or should I go back into industry immediately after I get my undergrad?

>muh job security and pensions
Let me guess, you're planning to wagecuck until you're 60?

11 years old
CS
Seattle

>22
>B.A. CS
>Junior Software Security Engineer
>New York City
>$110,000/yr + $25k stock options plus $10k signing bonus

For my agency, pensions are more or less based on years served and your highest grossing years. I could conceivably retire before I'm 50 with a six-figure pension.

That's barely any better.

>24
>A.S. in IT/Information Security
>Central VA
>Amazon; Administrative Assistant for small business
>I work 2 part-time hourly jobs. 12/hr and 15/hr, respectively
>I have no money for certification exams, so that's what I'm working toward(and reducing some debt). Just trying to land some entry-level IT/Infosec job. I'll accept suggestions.

BS in not CS
DC
Shitty coder who can't get into Google/Microsoft/Facebook
116k base, probably 7k bonus, we'll see.

Far better than "stock options" for a company that may not even exist when you retire or a 401(k) that could disappear overnight.

How do you think your pensions are funded buddy?

Kill yourself

>19
>nothing yet
>illinois
>lmao
>$0

BS in CS
HK
Lead Research Scientist
$800k USD take home

Same place my pay is now, your taxes, loser.

Whatever buddy. Enjoy working into your 70s when your pension goes insolvent.

>19
>double major in finance and data analytics (still I'm college)
>NYC
>summer financial analyst internship for 2019
>prorated based on $80k salary

I got a degree in history but I work in business as an operations manager

>78k

let's both agree that we got lucky because most his majors I've seen are teachers making 40k a year or bartenders

Get your CCNA user, a beginner cert is a requirement to get any networking job. Take the plunge and see how well you do on the CCENT first instead of writing the two-in-one. The other option you have is going Network+ first, this one is easier but also if you have both the Network+ is practically useless. Also the difficulty of CCNA tends to be exaggerated and you don't need to practice with actual Cisco gear to succeed, reading the books and playing around with packet tracer for a bit is more than enough at this level. Pic related.

Attached: ccna.png (1104x1367, 503K)

I wonder how long would it take to cross reference your posts with all these data collection thread with AI now openly available

none
China
Commercial Pilot
$240,000
thanks for putting up with us bb

BS in CS, studying my Master's in IT
Latvia
Software developer
12k a year, take a third away from taxes.

Living the dream... Feels nice that a burger flipper makes more money somewhere in the world than I do.

>29
>Diploma of Accounting
>SW Australia
>unemployed
>neetbux

>How do I become an IT teacher?

>22
>none
>Chief Information Officer at a fortune 500 company
>500k

>age
>degree(s)
none
>location
mostly remote in US and europe
>title
VP of tech at mid-size startup
>salary
150K + bonus + stock

>25
>CS
>France
>None
>None

> +30
> airline transit pilot
> yurup
> first officer
> 100ke

>21
>about to start studying EE
>SoCal
>NEET

>31
>MSc CS
>London
>Quant Dev
>£250k

Low 20's
Welding, Pipefitting School Diplomas/Certifications
Midwest US
Union Pipefitter/Welder Apprentice
$47/hr wages
~$78/hr wages + benefits

Long term goal is eventually breaking into building automation.
>The average pipefitter literacy level

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-09_09-18-33.png (503x143, 12K)

I want to unsubscribe from this blog, please thanks

Attached: image.jpg (800x616, 318K)

You're not a brainlet, you just never learned how to study because high school is a joke. Read Deep Work by Cal Newport and do what it says.

>Does being rich feel that good user?
No but it certainly makes life easier

Why do people feel the need to lie even when they are anonymous?

>age
>degree(s)
MS
>location
Morocco
>title
Code monkey
>salary
800 USD per month

The salary is actually decent for a fresh grad where I live

How?

Honest question, what is the alternative?

> associates in the Arabic language
> bachelors in political science
> want a masters in computational linguistics
> learning python now, gonna get a book on natural language processing in Python soon

What else should I learn lads? I wanna go to Urbana or University of Washington, mostly because it’s a full ride with muttarmybux. I would love to help computers work with sandrunes because I love the language

I also have a TS/SCI that is about to expire, but I’m afraid that I fucked up for renewing it by toking up one time while I was abroad last month. I’m waiting on a response for an internship from Raytheon which asked for everything that I’m doing, I’d much prefer a corporate job to the roulette of government work

Attached: 2EFFE662-0593-4862-AE0B-77665D9C9DC8.jpg (458x1023, 196K)

>get called for 1st interview in insurance company
>10 years of experience
>interviewer says they are looking both for inexperienced and experienced programmers
>refuse to say an minimum wage as I know they will bid for the lowest applicant
>get to tour their installations: open space for 100+ ppl, eating room (1h mandatory lunch).
>get to technical interview
>get to know all the required skills are bullshit and anyone with basic Java knowledge qualifies. I'm clearly overqualified, but they say it's OK.
>do an online test
>get call from HR boss
>outright get asked how much will I accept
>refuse to answer as I want to know what they pay, tell her I don't have a minimum and that I value all perks globally.
>aggressively get asked how much I make in my current job.
>tell them the truth minus 1k (and I'm being underpaid by 8 years)
>expect an offer next day
>mail answer: sorry user we are not interested. Maybe next time.
>tfw they don't even make you the offer because they assume you won't accept it (I would, want to bail out of my current job ASAP)
>they keep posting the position in job sites.
Why is every fucking company only hiring grads with 2 years at most? Can't they afford to pay a normal salary? Why do they prefer a code monkey to an experienced programmer?

Attached: 1537811713774s.jpg (125x125, 3K)

>22
>b.s. in CompE, pursuing PhD ECE
>NY
>Software Engineer
>70k

Mathematics and Software Engineering
Spain, Vasc Country
Dont have
Still not working, may work for (400$ month when I reach 2 year of the degree)

What are the best practices for a student in software engineering? Right know im studying:
>C++
> Java (is compulsory in my uni, otherwise I wouldnt)
> Haskell

and working on machine learning

Your post is very cryptic. Do you make too much to find a new job? Im lost.

>27
>applied mathematics and electrical engineering
>los angeles county (I work in the san Fernando valley)
>$55k
hard to find a place that won't drug test. being a faggot junkie is hard sometimes...

Attached: 1535625549398.jpg (479x587, 107K)

bsc compsci
london
jnr frontend dev

how do i get out of this job feel like im doing code monkey brainlet shit most of the day stressing out over whether the client wants something to fade in for 1s or 1.5s.
also am i getting underpaid? i do work for big clients like audi, barclays, warner bros as we are an agency. although this is my first job straight out of uni feels like there's nowhere to move up apart from being more senior in the same role, the senior devs on my team do pretty much the same job as me

Why do I even come into these threads they just make me want to kill myself hahaha please let me die in my sleep god please just end the pain

Attached: 54C2B48B-25CC-428C-B3DB-DBBF63F0B489.jpg (500x329, 51K)

none
South Louisiana
Software Engineer (Professional 3)

Wife, house, baby, undersea robotics in Linux and c++(14)
Life is good

>am i getting underpaid?
yes

how much should i be asking for? got a performance review in jan

Not really, I'm making what anyone here makes in a normal company after 2 years, except I have 10 and never had a raise.
So if they don't even consider paying that, they are most likely paying peanuts. Otherwise HR is retarded and believes there is some other risk in hiring someone like me.

What do you mean by how?

user from Spain here. I'm you from the future.
>Mathematics
Only useful for becoming a teacher. You will need CAP which is now a master.
>software engineering
Very bad choice for Spain. You should have chosen industrial engineering as there is some industry there in the Basque country. In Madrid and Barcelona they are paying 27-30k to juniors and 35k to 40k to seniors. In the rest of Spain, 14k to 18k to juniors, 20k to 24k to seniors.
>best practices
Fly away of this shithole. Look Ireland or Germany, USA if you can.

>undersea robotics
Explain pls

>22
>Bachelors in CS
>Suburban Northeast
>Software Engineer
>$81k

Bachelier
Belgium
Odoo dev
1.700€+ car + life care

Autonomous and piloted robots at up to 3000m under the ocean surface, both tethered and untethered.

I turned down 130k doing sales enablement web apps for CenturyLink remotely and I'm happier every day for that decision.

based

>everyone on Jow Forums makes $100k+ at their 20's
>they all have PCs from 2000
The larping is hilarious

You don't get to say "Aw shoot I guess I'm bad at math and chemistry, oh well!" if you want to be a scientist or engineer. You buckle the fuck down and study until you get better.
Finance and economics are geneally fucking stupid unless you're making Ivy League connections. You can get some shitty banking jobs that will let you get the same shitty job but better paid working for the government after twenty years. Don't major in anything that ends in "Administration", those are fucking scams. School won't teach you to administrate jack shit and employers know that. If you analyze the salary data you'll find all of those that succeed are people going back to get an MBA at the behest of their employer who has already contracted them for an upper management or C suite position upon completion. The only business fields that aren't garbage are marketing and transportation logistics, both of which are going down the tubes as we speak.
>I've always had dreams of doing something that "makes a difference", but I just can't seem to find the career that fits that internal checkbox in my mind.
You won't typically make a difference working for someone else. You are a cog (employee) in their machine (company). If you want to make a difference but are too lazy, timid, or inept to run a business you can try to become some sort of researcher. Again, you'll need to stop being a sissypants and study math; probably chemistry as well depending on the field. You'll also need to go all the way through a doctorate and will get paid jack shit anyways because everyone in the field is either super gay for their research topic or wants to "make a difference". Neither lends well to a negotiating position.

Attached: 6fg.png (1102x958, 314K)

I'm And my car is worth $6k and is 12 years old

My main computer is a laptop from 2009

Attached: powerful.jpg (177x153, 6K)

>22
>Biology and Physics BSc w/2:1, Biomedical Engineering MSc w/ distinction
>Parent's house
>
>$0.00

Attached: 1543626166256.jpg (495x362, 26K)

That sounds cool user

>Autonomous and piloted robots at up to 3000m under the ocean surface, both tethered and untethered.

How does communication work for the untethered stuff? I thought that was hard to do underwater?

Also, have you seen any strange sea creatures down there?

Acoustic modems at up to a whopping 9000 bad is pretty much state of the art.

No strange sea creatures, mostly oil pipelines

s/bad/baud/

also got a history degree, but I make 40k a year doing help desk at an MSP and I want to die

SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT SALARY I SHOULD BE GETTING CAN'T FIND A REAL ANSWER ONLINE

>22
>ECE
>Greater NYC
>Student
>15k tuition loan

How to get a bitch job were you measure equipment for 60k+?

>22
>Last year on a CS degree
>Texas
>None
>Zip

>no internships because my parents said I need to be able to drive or else it won't be worth it; I still can't drive; beginning to think they're incorrect
>no experience but vast portfolio of knowledge in programming languages, frameworks, paradigms, and fields (graphics, web, data, language/OS/compiler design)
>really no way to prove any of that

I just wanna be out of college and do devops at some yuppie startup for 20/hr is that too much
either that or do some data science in switzerland with my gf
am I just fucked straight out of college

/thread

My university has specialization starting from year 2, from the choices that are avaiable i have found two which would "suit" me

>Web and mobile dev ( this is the most programming oriented one i think)

>Game Dev (starting from coding up to modelling sound etc.)

Now i love making games and little "gamey" projects but i heard from people the industry is cancer and you should avoid it, also webdev and mobile dev is much more safe and probably in demand, should i bite with gamedev or nah? Also i am a complete artlet and that would probably hinder my progress a bit, but making games is so fun

Attached: 1543331741266.jpg (960x958, 215K)

games is the kind of thing that should be an art, not a job

if you really wanna devote your life to your passion then go ahead but like all artistic passions it's risky

webdev will always be in demand as long as there's websites, plus it's easy and vastly supported with standards, libraries, and easily accessible knowledge

>doesn't drive
>blames parent for no internship
Its OK Timmy, one day you'll grow up.

>27
>master degree in bio cs
>france
>software engineer
>40k €/y - 2100€ /month after tax
Lifes good

None
Germany
Hartz IV Empfänger
416€

>thinks he's worth 20$
>no internship
>thinks uni knowledge = jobs
>doesn't drive
>blames parents for his failures
You are right where you deserve to be.

I'm not blaming anyone friend
obviously the solution to the problem you seem to have interpreted is 'get an internship' but you have misunderstood the point of my post

is it worth it to get an internship? will it screw me over in the industry if I don't have one by now? I'm a senior in college. Is it really worth it at this Point In Time.

BS Math
S. FL
Backend Dev, don't know what my official title is. Probably just "Software Developer".

>thinks uni knowledge = jobs
what the hell am I doing in college then?

Just google it. I know what you'd get offered if you were this side of the pond, but non-American tech get shafted in software. So for all I know less-than-minumum-wage is standard in London.

;_; pls stop junkie

You need to show you aren't autistic basically. Uni is simply a way we filter to prove the person can manage time and is dedicated. It does not replace knowledge, and experience not to mention not having any internships by now just shows you have no passion.

That all said no it won't significantly impact you since you can still do internships post graduation if you really get can't get a job in texas. Also 20$ an hour is like 40k a year you can do tech support and make that Much given you can prove you know basics of network infrastructure which might be hard with no experience but since you have a degree you might get the interview for the tech support jobs.

Tldr; start working on actual projects and setting up a portfolio on git. DONT only post uni projects you look unpassionate as all hell. Also make sure your projects aren't useless shit like discord bots unless you want webdev jobs since you'll just get ignored. Lastly don't just go for programming jobs. There's other branches in tech that you might be able to get in at.I.e look at your options.