Why is the industry standard using the command line...

Why is the industry standard using the command line? Why isn't most people using the GUI and then only using the command like for more advanced stuff?

Attached: file.png (240x226, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/32405
asktog.com/TOI/toi06KeyboardVMouse1.html
asktog.com/TOI/toi22KeyboardVMouse2.html
asktog.com/SunWorldColumns/S02KeyboardVMouse3.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because CLI with the right aliases, functions and scripts is much faster.

Because a GUI just gets in the way with git.

Cause the commandline is infinitely more comfy than a gui can ever be

>Not using sublime merge

Attached: 1536238488150s.jpg (237x249, 3K)

lol using sublime instead of Atom. We nearly 2019, catch up senpai.

Attached: hmmm.jpg (729x1096, 272K)

>What is sourcetree

GUI has too much overhead. if you're making changes or troubleshooting remotely you'll be spending too much unnecessary bandwidth. CLI is much faster

For git? Because command line is faster.

There is nothing advanced about it, CLI is duct tape. You use it to overcome the limitations of your dev environment, which happens more or less often depending on how shitty is your team. Wait until you move up from the junior monkey pay grade, at that point you will forget the command line ever existed.

>t. Uses Windows server and moves files to production using FTP drag-n-drop.

Imagine being such a cuck you use a botnet ide just to edit text lmao nigga just type nano how hard is it

Why do you think, the retards who made it suck at programming and can't even do basic functionality.

Maybe i am thinking wrong but GUI just seems more accesible and smooth, with GUI you have everything as soon as you open the program in front of you with buttons etc. but with CLI you either have to write a fucking book for your client to understand it or he has to try to type random shit and see what actually does something and what doesn't.

Attached: 3529238327523.jpg (1079x1280, 141K)

because text composes better than fucking mouse clicks, retard

I use both.

I use Github Desktop for most interactions. I hate that it doesn't support opendiff for mergetool though. I know how to use the CLI utilities too but having a visual representation for most things is nice.

t. zoomer that gave up after 5 minutes

Lol using Atom instead of VS Codium. We nearly 2019, catch up senpai.

found the JavaScript "developer". aren't you supposed to be uploading a npm module

Attached: monkey.jpg (750x563, 56K)

>late 2018
>having a Desktop environment
>not communicating with the hardware chipset using a JTAG debugger

Attached: AMD_Austin.jpg (540x720, 257K)

typing commands are comfier than constant mouse movements. my hands are better.
also alias and tab completion make cli even comfier

>ide

> no way to rebase
> no way to cherry pick
> Can't handle SSL auth, can't handle more than one remote
> no way to do basically anything except for git commit -am && git push -f
People don't use GitHub Desktop because it's absolute trash. I only use it as a better way to view git diff and nothing else. It's utterly useless in any other regard.

>one click to pull and push
vs
>typing 300 characters

lol are you retarded?

>ide
>nigga
Retard

lol using VS Codium instead of Notepad. We nearly 2019, catch up senpai.

t. brainlet

>git push

Because most people aren't millenitards, and can read and write.

Because anything more than a plain text interface is too complicated for most linux users to comprehend.

story time
1)
>use git in project
>new dev joins the team
>only worked with svn
>uses company recommended git client
>enables force push because remote rejects her code
>fucks up the whole repo

2)
>"I have merge conflicts, can you solve them for me"
>look into commit changes
>+99 Files edited
>repeat on a weekly basis

at least for git using cli forces you to understand the very principles of branches, merges, pulls, pushes, etc. which git clients comfortably abstract away, which is bad because then you don't know your tools.

Because cli is available and standard on all platforms. Having gui be the standard would require git to have an acceptable gui for every use case. Plus, it's easier to write scripts and automation in the cli.

Attached: 9e724412efed016c.jpg (1012x1619, 352K)

>ctrl+alt+t
>g c -am "Whatever message, you have to type this in your gooey too anyways"
vs
>cycle through open windows
>take hand from keyboard to mouse
>click on the new commit button
>return hand to keyboard
>type the message
>switch to mouse again to click commit
>click push
>move back to the keyboard
hmmmm

I use git cola to add files (either full or parts of changes) and commit

and I use CLI to push, pull and merge/rebase

I honestly believe that graphical interfaces are meant to cater to lesser humans

GUI is a normie meme.

this

>use browser to upload download to from mega
>shit load of ram used almost bricks the pc from swapping
>use megacmd for same thing
>not a problem almost no ram or anything used, can still use it fast even if browser crash or close cos not browser :^)
gitgut

>doing code reviews via CLI
I really hope you don't actually do this.

>not using magit
what would you say user? would you consider magit gui, cli-ish? emacsy?
flog her
The usual problem with GUIs is if you make something idiot-proof, someone will make a better idiot. The polish is just bells and whistles. To actually understand what the fuck is going on with the program you're using, cli is usually better

This. Save command line for the advanced stuff.

This.

because most normies are too stupid to even use their left hand on the keyboard while using the mouse, let alone use 2 hands on the keyboard.

>type in ffmpeg command in 8 seconds
>click 30 options in 5 minutes

>implying the "muh one-click solution" is functional in practical environments
>300 characters
>implying my editor doesn't do it for me (magit is love magit is life, St. IGNUcius)

>not using ed
look at this *nixtard

This. This is why the GUI never fucking works in reality, idiots think they can just "one click solution" it and fuck everything up. You have to actually learn version control.

I'm trying to think of something to say, but I'll just go with "superpower 2020".

Why the hell not? You think some gui bullshit (and I've used gui git in IDEs and in standalone applications like GitKraken) is really going to be less messy than the cli?

magit is a tui. Part of emacs.

thanks user, I forgot that term existed for some reason.
Where would you rank TUI, GUI, CLI, in any criteria you choose?

>This is why the GUI never fucking works in reality
yeah that whole GUI thing never took off

Using the CLI will just make them do even worse shit, They'll google "why can't I push to git", ignore all the StackOverflow posts describing how much of an idiot they are, try copying pasting every line they see.

yup
github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/32405

In reality it's the opposite. Command line for nearly everything, for big merges sometimes use git cola or gitk, but that's about it.
Surprised this has only been mentioned once. GUIs are not scriptable or composable.

Because most GUI programs are just frontends for a command line program

>GUIs are not scriptable or composable.
Are you sure?

I'm 100% sure he never heard of AppleScript and Automator, nor Services and definitely not Quick Actions.

Yes. The whole point of GUIs is not to be scriptable.

>Services
>Quick Actions
Not composable or scriptable
>AppleScript
>Automator
Yes, these are real scripting languages. They can control and compose programs by using, guess what, a command API that is separate from the GUI

>Yes.
Are you just willfully ignorant or incapable?
>The whole point of GUIs is not to be scriptable.
I never have that go retarded meme template when I need it.

Why use more resources when the terminal works just fine

why waste energy and brainpower memorizing commands that can be executed more quickly in a GUI
if the tech industry was in Jow Forumstards' hands we'd be stuck in the 80s forever

You can't prove me wrong. The intent of a GUI is to make a bunch of buttons and textboxes and shit that a human can click on.

Because they aren't executed more quickly? Have you noticed how a lot of GUI programs now have a command search feature because there are so many options hidden within the menus that finding anything becomes difficult?

Attached: 1541062903166.png (800x400, 15K)

>so many options hidden within the menus that finding anything becomes difficult?
Git is not that complex though. You spend more time trying to visualize the tree and memorizing commands in CLI than you do looking for whatever function you want in a git GUI. Fork and Gitup give you a clear visual represeintation of everything that's going on, and lets you use commands in case you need them. Best of both worlds

You could prove yourself wrong with a simple internet search or two, you would learn something. Don't worry about it, remain a good little npc.

I guarantee I have worked with more GUI scripting languages than you, friend. I would not be saying this if I hadn't.

>Need to run a clunky and slow app to see a visual representation of everything that's going on just to run a basic command
>Best of both worlds
Nah

>GitUp
>clunky and slow
I bet my left ball you've never ever downloaded a git GUI program and are talking out of your ass

sourcetree is what H1B pajeets use

>my dick is bigger than yours for sure m8, I promise

Brainlet GUI with one click buttons can be completely automated away with scripts, it's the same but less versatile as having a script or CLI software.

Terminal commands on the other hand COMPOSE quite well - command a gives filenames to command b and so on. Try that with different GUI, it's an arsepain.

The only thing that competes with CLI are modern programming language's functions, sometimes on a REPL which is basically a command line.

Because guis that dint suck are hard.

literally nothing wrong with that

And even these still generally don't interact at all with most other GUIs.

I can pipe some string data into any compression software or use space separated filenames provided by any CLI software with nc or borg or something else. The whole construct can then be saved as script.

You'll find that a lot more difficult to do with GUI.

No, not really. It's usually easier since the gui interactions are typed interfaces over a shared message bus or intents. Pipelines are just shitty bytestreams.

GUIs and TUIs are the same fucking thing. TUI is a dumb bacronym for stupid people.

and git guis are typed interfaces over a shared message bus or intents, all on the shoulders of shitty bytestreams.

rm -rf /brain

Even if they are pulling from something else, they don't generally forward messages or intents to other software and creating some derivative composite thing that uses 5 or 10 existing GUI is just super annoying.

i rather see cool commit tree merged from branches that ugly text

>t. Uses Windows server and moves files to production using FTP drag-n-drop.

Your brain can process data your touch faster than you can process it from eyesight, so overall, typing is actually significantly faster. Basically tactile information reaches your brain faster, so it is the more efficient interface for getting and transmitting information as a human being.

When you're typing and watching the information appear on the computer, you actually already input it and knew exactly what was going to come before you saw it. That's why you're already like 3-8 characters ahead of yourself when you make a mistake and have to press backspace.

Yeah, well the funny thing is that if you used CLI for so long you actually do understand, and it might actually be useful for you. But for people who never knew CLI, they're like already in deep water and have to basically learn two systems one of which is obfuscated.

Real experiments prove otherwise:
> asktog.com/TOI/toi06KeyboardVMouse1.html
> asktog.com/TOI/toi22KeyboardVMouse2.html
> asktog.com/SunWorldColumns/S02KeyboardVMouse3.html

>pointing and grunting
vs
>speech with grammatical rules
they both have their uses

Attached: 1525925918500.png (849x437, 284K)

Because github desktop isn't even available on a linux machine

>Design an application specifically with a mouse-based interface
>Don't spend any time improving the keyboard interaction or making better keyboard bindings, in some ways make it worse intentionally
>Spend 50 mil to learn that the mouse interface is better
Wow what a surprise!

>Open Automator
>New document
>Record
>Do whatever you want to automate
>Change a few settings
Literally only used a GUI.

100% this. the only people at work who fuck up the git repo or get stuck on merge conflicts and add retarded merges/commits are the ones using a gui for git.

which results in someone who actually knows how git works, and uses it in the CLI , to fix it for them.

that is gold. serves them right

you mean like a tig command?

Attached: Show-Git-Repository-Commits.png (862x534, 26K)

>gui app
>find an app
>wait for electron-based gooee app to load and eat up all the ram
>find a "commit" option, you have to do that every time
>prob have to go through several screens for that
>type out the message
>finally commit
Fuck this shit
>cli app
>type app name with commands and options you need
>you feel lazy so you just type first letters
>press enter and program without further questions just does what you want it to do
That's the charm of CLI software. You can specify exactly what you need even before running that program. All the work happens in your brain, you just type a bunch of lazy letters and leave all the routine to computer. The computer on its side is also kinda lazy because it executes just one straightforward task instead of displaying all the options with fancy buttons and thinking instead of me.

>have github desktop open
>edit a bunch of files
>it automatically detects and selects changes
>all you need to do is click on the commit button because the commit message is auto generated (still editable and keyboard shortcuts are available)
>press the push to remote button
>go back to editing

>because the commit message is auto generated
Do you have examples of those commit messages?

Attached: image.jpg (250x583, 43K)

I have been using Sublime since 2013. Why is Atom better? Asking because I don't want to relearn hotkeys if I don't need it.

We all use tortoisegit. It's really the superior choice

>auto generated
That's as useful as
>git commit -m 'lol nigger' .