Techpill me on Fedora

techpill me on Fedora

Attached: 3_fedora-100732816-large.3x2.jpg (700x467, 63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fedoramagazine.org/fedora-secures-package-delivery/
torrent.fedoraproject.org/
fedoraproject.org/wiki/Security_Features_Matrix)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no?

Attached: 1452098506220.png (512x512, 144K)

Doesn't support seL4 toolchain without additional work.

Comfy stable desktop distro, I used it for a while. My only gripe is the need to add third party repos like rpmforge in order to install basic software.

Why? Rolling distros other then Solus are trash for a main system. Ubuntu has old kernels. Fedora has rpmfusion and current kernels and decent stability compaired to ruling distros.

Fedora is my main nigger. My laptop has Pentoo you lil shit.

Attached: 1544197674625.png (854x655, 630K)

Do you think you're smart.

Attached: 1542555120331.jpg (1280x720, 176K)

Same is needed for Ubuntu but you use potentially vulnerable ppa's instead.

Rpmfusion has major support from some that work on Fedora. It is basically a major part of the distro.

Do you? I distro hopped for years before falling on Solus and Fedora. Arch is complete trash if you want a distro that works for any amount of time. Gentoo distros are essentially meta distros. Gentoo is one rung above something like LFS.

Attached: 1543954458931.png (550x578, 243K)

Do full circle and land on ubuntu or debian. They just work.

Attached: 1539071595927.gif (128x128, 175K)

but they don't

works on my machine

Pros:
>very stable for offering bleeding edge software
>well maintained repositories (i.e. no horribly outdated or conflicting packages)
>devs actually try to improve the OS besides cosmetic changes and updated packages (e.g. improved laptop battery life since Fedora 28)
>one of the best Gnome implementations
>relatively beginner friendly
>heavily values freedom
>community may be smaller than Ubuntu's, but also has less retards offering useless advice
Cons:
>dnf is pretty slow
>one of the worst KDE implementations
>RPM Fusion is pretty much mandatory as Fedora heavily values freedom
>many devs offer deb but not rpm packages of their software (i.e. it's more likely you have to compile something yourself)
>legacy versions of software (as separate packages) are a rare sight
>short release cycles (new release every 6 months; far in between they may skip one release if they have a big improvement project)
>not a distro for package counters

that doesn't mean in objectively good, only that it's good enough for you

>one of the worst KDE implementations
god damnit why, I just downloaded the fedora spin yesterday and was meaning to give it a try

It has slowly but surely roflstomped oSUSE after they made distro upgrade pathway with oSUSE now starving for volunteers, it tends to adopt new tech first such as Wayland but doing it sensibly (enabling it first as option), it uses upstream and only upstream vanilla sources for its binaries unlike Debian and its spawn such as Ubuntu and it actually has double the support time per release than non-LTS Ubuntus with 6mo support time being major misconception.

Overall very 9/10 distro.

you always have to be a version behind to get any stability

>He can't into Debian

Ubuntu distro upgrades are notoriously unstable. I have used Ubuntu since 8.10. I still have some free Ubuntu CD's. Apt has some serious problems when software version problems happen. Apt shits itself and breaks.

Attached: 4181605619_2d063f22f2.jpg (500x479, 152K)

If you want RPM + KDE then give OpenSUSE a shot.

I didn't really like opensuse

I like Debian and I use it on my development boards. It isn't the most rounded in terms of current updates and software. Fedora distro upgrades are notoriously smooth.

Fedora has hot kernels which means it has fresh drivers. Software is somewhat much fresher then Debian. If a kernel doesn't boot or is bad you simply boot your older kernel from the grub menu.

It's ok. System security is a little much. You can tell it really is bent for the enterprise workstation. Tumbleweed breaks often (no duh) and leap is alright but I much prefer rpm and dnf.

INSTALL BENTŌŌ

Attached: Bentoo.png (1730x754, 489K)

I actually prefer KDE over GNOME... my problem is GNOME works on fedora with Wayland and other virtualization tools. KDE team really needs to upgrade the plasma graphics stack.

Thank God Ubuntu will now support GNOME development. It needs it. God save GTK 4.0.

works on my machine

Attached: 2018-12-10-041813_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 1.38M)

It seems to be very nice for new to linux people (like myself). Just works ootb (with maybe little tweaks). GNOME is pretty intuitive for people who used windows only before (its almost the same really). The way you add new applications to menu differs but you just do a quick search and that is it.

>GNOME is pretty intuitive for people who used windows only before (its almost the same really)

Attached: 1453425318891.jpg (706x647, 80K)

As a long time (11 years) linux user, I can really say Ubuntu has disappointed me many times since 10.10 their last decent release. I'm glad that dumpster fire netbook edition UI is dead.

Solus on the other hand is the only rolling distro I ever used to have absolutely zero crashes with over a year of usage and still going (on my laptop.)

If Solus had more software you can compile like how Gentoo handles ebuilds and tags and just a general increase in usable software other then snaps it would be my main distro. Since it doesn't I main Fedora (atheism be damned.)

KDE needs to fix their shit like Gnomes is doing.

KDE needs Wayland.

that still doesn't make GNOME intuitive, or more like Windows

how is GNOME "fixing their shit"? by ignoring contributions from outside their little shitty clique?

Never said that.

Gnome is the only choice when it comes to testing programs (especially virtualization tools) on Wayland. KDE is a non-starter.

GNOME is usable after some tweaks and doesn't leak a huge amount of memory like it did (on Fedora 29.) I simply love KDE more but hate how it is always second at the plate behind GNOME when it cones to modernizing the linux graphics stack so we can get the gaming performance at win10 levels.

They are realizing the memory bugs GNOME has. GTK 4.0 is being reworked a lot. More native options are being added (slowly).

I'm just happy Canonical and Red Hat will be on the same page for once. GNOME is now a usable as a decent desktop unlike how it was during the Ubuntu 11.04 Dark City era of the linux desktop.

Like I said previously, I prefer KDE but it always feels second at bat and I would need to have a fresh GNOME distro on a second drive.

fedora also distributes debian's broken cdrkit

firefox isn't wayland yet so meh

Unless it transformed itself into something totally different in the last years, GNOME is certainly not intuitive to Windows users.

Fedora also has signed packages.
fedoramagazine.org/fedora-secures-package-delivery/

What is "unintuitive" there for windows user (except how you place applications into your desktop)? Sure things are a little bit different, but are they different that much?

torrent.fedoraproject.org/

>many devs offer deb
they only do that because the ones distributed by debian are obsolete and since debian is so popular it can bring them a bad name so in effect they are sort of forced to do it

gnome is good only in concept, in reality it's laggy-ish and pressing super all the time is exhausting and makes for an inconsistent desktop, the panel on the bottom that doesn't hide ala xfce tends to be best

set preserve cache to 1 on dnf.conf.
Is the flagship Linux distro. To be honest I only use Debian on a virtual machine to test against it, it's fucking shit in the last release I thought it would be more polished.
>hurrr durrrr
it uses 500MB at boot for me with some additional shit and is very functional, they are also slowly moving to C anyways

i wans't even talking about ram, are you a bot?

>Xfce better I'm any way than any other DE
lol

>Rolling distros other then Solus are trash
cringe. arch is unironically good.

wat

i think it's broke

kek, see you soon, user. I recommend you Xubuntu.

good to know. I couldn't get Fedora 29 to install on my desktop for the life of me. 27,28 all fine, go to 29 and it never even gets to the live enviroment. I tried loading it on my laptop and the screen randomly flips upside down.

>systemd literally ever
lmao

Arch is utter garbage. Manjaro is only half Isabel as a main system and stuff still breaks your install.

Every 3 months a update breaks your install. I know from experience.

*half usable as a main system*

Test bad for RedHat, everyone using Fedora are doing free QA

Same can be said of windows and ubuntu.

And for other distros who are you testing for?

Don't listen to that user, Fedora KDE is pretty good.

It is in Fedora Rawhide by default.

>hurr durr beta test bed meme fedora bad l
>communist distro good
i diggy shiggy

disregard this post
just in case if anyone else happens to read it

OpenSuSE is similar and better.

>>one of the worst KDE implementations
I run the KDE spin, I find it just as good as Kubuntu, Susse, or any of the others.

Sometimes it's best to assume that the person reporting whether a machine is working or not is blind and unaware. "works" is in the eye of the user.

>Susse (Süße?)
Wait, is there a KDE OpenSuSE?

newfag here, can confirm. Got Lubuntu on my laptop, and it freezes unrecoverably (can't even change VTs or use REIBUS) at least once a day.

Considering hopping to Debian/Devuan and slapping LXQt on it.

Attached: kazuma kaneko_flowers.jpg (500x314, 67K)

>Manjaro
Fuck Manjaro. I said Arch.
And I was talking about a daily use computer. IMO Debian for headless servers, Arch for desktops, and Gentoo for laptops is ideal. Arch isn't unstable, that's a bullshit meme. My current install keeps going without any issues roughly five years in. Fedora offers nothing more than Arch.

Except .rpms are way better.

The most polished distro. Modern yet stable. With good security defaults (fedoraproject.org/wiki/Security_Features_Matrix) and tons of quality-of-life improvements like flicker-free boot and battery life optimization. And everything just works.

I wish more people would use it.

Responsible for the worst parts of desktop linux software.

Arch linux is bird shit that falls on your face every season of the year. Using Arch as a main desktop is having denial like related pic.

Attached: 1543426285304.png (580x282, 310K)

Exactly. The current kernels also help. Did I mention all packages are signed so it litterally makes mitm repo attacks virtually impossible.

>use menjorno instead
kek

>Using Arch as a main desktop is having denial
In what way? Everything works just fine, rolling release/bleeding edge combo, plethora of AUR packages available, it's a great desktop distro.
Are you questioning our lord and saviour pacman?

Pacman is actual shit tier, I would rather use apt and be in dependency hell then have to use pacman.

Attached: 1540772164828.jpg (494x365, 50K)