/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Old thread: Lisp is the most powerful programming language.
What are you working on, Jow Forums?

Attached: the_art_of_the_metaobject_protocol.jpg (386x500, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/
pastebin.com/Tv50Wk20
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for Scheme

JavaScript rocks!

Attached: js_rocks.png (1433x779, 473K)

A friend told me, and I also read on Jow Forums a couple of times that if I want to start making money as soon as possible, data science is the way to go. A couple of courses and you can start freelancing online. How true is this?

Lisp is the gayest programming language. C is the best.

Do I build my server software in Common Lisp or Rust?

Attached: 1411707598056.gif (193x255, 106K)

Is this the patrician language combination?

Attached: 4212414142.jpg (500x600, 13K)

Does Python even have worthwhile C++ bindings?

Standard ML

That wasn't a choice user.

Idris

In that case I'll go for Common Lisp

C

Prototype it in CL. Finalize the build in Rust when you need the speed and memory efficiency.

Based.

my cock

shut the fuck up nigger, its the word language on this planet

>word

Attached: 1462232392038.jpg (415x440, 57K)

>updating my software
>look at some of the files and what their purpose is
>look at the code
>delete them
>restart from scratch on them

Anyone else do this sometimes rather than just modifying/tacking onto existing code?

Common Lisp, but use Clack instead of Hunchentoot.

I sometimes scrap scratch programs I used to use for testing, but never delete utility programs. I always augment/redact.

Have you done this before? I really want to try it because I enjoy sml but there isn't much info out there. What implementation to use, how to write smp code for parallelism and scalability, etc...
If you have any resources please share.

Can someone give me a quick rundown red pill about Rust? I have a decade of systems programming experience in C and want to see if it’s worth learning the patterns of C++ are worth learning over picking up Rust (I also have work experience with Java so C++ is basically that in between language I haven’t picked up yet.)

Hear it’s annoying about pointers and shit, which would also hear is untrue. I’m really a fan of having total control over memory and processes to the maximum degree possible hence my love for C.

Attached: 48416A6D-221C-4C35-8012-3AB294020BF8.gif (320x240, 169K)

any of you make a living from freelancing?

i am a total noob, but started looking a bit into programming and its actually quite interesting.

I'm tired of being a fucking virgin. How do I learn Python?

*it's

I never understood the prototype meme, especially in other languages. Doesn't that just show that the language you intend to use is flawed for the task if you need another one to do testing?

ReasonML.

C++ is not the middle ground between C and Java, not modern C++ at least.

yes

Don't correct yourself on this site faggot. This isn't Reddit. Everyone here is on adderall.

Do this
functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/

>Don't correct yourself on this site faggot
>correcting myself

>Everyone here is on adderall
Lucky...

C++ is such a shitty language. Nobody should learn it.

Must learn languages (in order):
>Python
>Java
>C
>D
>Haskell

Fast dev+refactoring time vs. high reliability+maintainability
dynamic types make it easy to build stuff fast, but don't catch bugs that a static type system would. Static typing can also make things faster, though it doesn't always matter.

I love C, but as am I'm doing more and more complex task, implementing C++ in C because more tedious and impractical. I'm seriously thinking about making the switch.

If you do this, a bootcamper code monkey is still going to be more employable than you.

Meh if you really wanted you could use (declare (type ... ))

crossdresses for med master race bvlls and films it in his bedroom

Attached: B903ED83-744D-401F-9C8D-A15520133361.jpg (1024x893, 173K)

I already know SML to an intermediate level, and have done a bunch of the stuff there. I'm asking about writing fast, parellel, network backends in sml specifically.

C++ is more tedious and impractical?

Do you think it is a sign of mental disease to often find programming more enjoyable than eg. watching films?

the opposite if you're talking about the average shitty western film

>>C++ is such a shitty language. Nobody should learn it.
I beg to differ.

>>>Python
Yes. Python has a tight grip on Academia and plenty of data scientists use it for their everyday work.

>>>Java
No. Just a simple and plain no. I learned Java, and I shit you not, got diarrhea.

>>>C
Yes, but if you're interested in low level and system program. Or you just want to torture yourself.

>>>D
Never tried it.

>>>Haskell
Tried to learned it still sticking with C++, Python and Rust.

Programming and watching films are both autistic.

What? I'm saying doing OOP in C is annoying, I want syntactical sugar without sacrificing optimization.

I like common lisp and it is one of my main languages, but comparing sbcl's type inference (which is partially at runtime), to a language with a nice type system like SML or haskell is delusional.

C is about giving you control.
Rust is about taking away your control.

I should say typechecking, not type inference, though inference is a sore spot.

I'm black and I would never do this. Maybe if your racist government would pay reparations for hundreds of years of slavery, you wouldn't have to be pissing in your pants from being near us. Affirmative action is a step in the right direction.

>>Rust is about taking away your control.
Correct, but what does Rust give you in exchange for taking away those freedoms? Just like how people in a nation have a Government that protects them in exchange for some freedoms, Rust protects from classes of bugs like memory and concurrency related bugs. That's the best way I could put it.

C++ is about choosing how much control you want.

What's exactly wrong with this code?
>inb4 its javascript

pastebin.com/Tv50Wk20

>Correct, but what does Rust give you in exchange for taking away those freedoms?
Moral superiority.

>Has no control or power in his life so he codes in C
The absolute state of Clets. Abstraction gang for lyfe.

Yeah but you can fully add in types to everything in sbcl

its javascript

Unsafe Rust gives you as much control as C with way better syntax.

>way better syntax
DELET

>inline js
>var
>==
>missing semis
>if (x == true)
>not using a loop
>parseFloat when coercion will already parse as float

How is it moral superiority? I was just giving analogy to real life specifically a Government and its citizens.

>Helping web POOjeets
Leave.

never said I was good nigger

Have you used a language with a modern type system before?
No, C++ does not count.

Fuck off hasklet, you and your ilk literally do nothing worthwile ever in these threads.

please do not bully Haskell! she is cute

Attached: anim haskell.jpg (480x480, 56K)

>haskell
You're not as smart as you think you are.

Yes, I program in Rust too.

>bullying haskell
this is the exact opposite of what I asked for >_

Attached: 81643.png (300x300, 109K)

>No tits, no ass, no nothing

You're not allowed to say the N-word. It's not cool. What if your mother saw this? What if your friends saw this? What if your co-workers saw this? Wouldn't you be embarrassed? Jeses fuck.

See Do you see the kind of trash you've encouraged to come back?

Do what you want, I kept my opinions about haskell reserved.

People who like big asses are totally fucking gay

pybind11 is okay.

A monad is just a mongo in the catoegyr of enductors.

how do people not kill themselves doing this?
I'm spending fucking months and months of non stop learning and I can't write anything more complex than is-odd without google. HOLY FUCK. Am I just a huge fucking brainlet or am I missing something here?
Like, it took me 2 days to set up a github project that had A FULL ON GUIDE STEP BY STEP.

How's having low testosterone working out for you?

I'm gay and I don't like anything to do with asses. I don't want my dick inside another guy's ass and I don't want a dick up my ass.

suck my dick nigger and stop larping as a great mastermind, this is not your super secret esoteric programming club

A mango is just a manga in the category of animes.

>>People who like big asses are totally fucking gay
If it's a man's ass, sure. But a nice, plump, firm ass is heavenly when you fuck it. Provides a nice cushion.

>>The blackest breast aficionados are whiter than you
Weak ass insult

you're a disappointment user.

Attached: U9Se.gif (480x270, 1.07M)

>ass fag complaining other people (real humans with souls) aren't into massive assfaggery

I hate manga and anime.

Is this next level bait?

Attached: 1528887635580.jpg (500x500, 28K)

>>ass fag
Jesus.

I'm sorry that some men (in fact MOST men) prefer a nice ass on their ladies. Don't worry, I also like firm tits, too.

based and redpilled
what programming languages do you use?

Haskell is cool but it doesn’t strike me as particularly useful

Anime website.
Reddit might be the thing you were looking for.

oh shit i didn't read properly i thought he said love
cringe and bluepilled

let me help you do another function.

def is_even(number):
if number == 1:
return False
if is_even(number - 1):
return False
return True

>MOST men
you mean africans? how's that population explosion working out for your fellow "men" of colour
i am vindicated once again

>cringe
I used to be like you. Claiming everything as "cringey" that I didn't like. Then one day, I put away the petulant bullshit and became a fucking grown up. Try it some time.

stfu you worthless weeb pedo, no one cares. This thread is about programming, not your weird proclivities.

very cringe and bluepilled post user, if you keep this up you'll never be based and redpilled like me
>doesn't support negative numbers

stfu about anime, stfu about racism. Get back to discussing programming.

Attached: 1541500726985.jpg (700x700, 40K)

I use Python, C, Javascript, Java Scala, Clojure, D. I do not use Haskell and never intend to.