/wdg/ - Web Development General

What's everybody working on?

Previous thread: >COMPLETE BEGINNERS GUIDE
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.org
codecademy.com
hackr.io
theodinproject.com/

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4x

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

>PHP resources
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A

Attached: wdg_dog_thinkpad.jpg (600x399, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freetutorials.eu/
github.com/danialfarid/ng-file-upload
api-platform.com/
warosu.org/g/thread/65029370#p65034692
marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ritwickdey.LiveServer
udemy.com/node-with-react-fullstack-web-development/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>pic
absolutely adorable

>fixed one thing
>broke another

lel

Do you guys recommend me good reactjs tutorial from udemy

/*Free udemy courses*/
freetutorials.eu/

Whoa. Thanks for this one

>angular
oh no no no

What's wrong with angular?

Learning React, trying to use libraries from the community.
Anyone use reactjs-popup? I'm trying to use a stateless component as a trigger, but it doesn't work. It works with regular JSX doms.

a stateless component by definition can't track whether a a popup is open or no, you need to do it somewhere else

Well the library I'm using (a component pre-made by someone else called reactjs-popup) essentially just wants any DOM element to be used as a trigger, so when you click it the popup appears.

For example here's what works when I set the trigger prop for it
`
`

But if I have a component that returns exactly this, it does not work. See below.
`
`

The button shows up, but it does not trigger the component.

I would imagine that the Popup component tracks it and is not associated with the trigger component.

kek

PHP MySQL user registration.

What's better: to hash the passwords in PHP and then store them at the database, or create a trigger in MySQL that hashes plaintext passwords (with salts) as soon as they get inserted into the database?

If something goes wrong with the PHP while hashing, the account never gets stored. If something goes wrong with the DBMS while hashing, either the account never gets stored or the hashing continues after the DBMS recovers. Looking at this I'm more inclined to use the DBMS.

Attached: 4chan_blue_reponse.jpg (125x120, 4K)

Usually I do it in PHP, the password_hash() function is pretty bulletproof and it's database agnostic.
In general I don't like to have my application logic tied to the database, as I might want to change it down the line.

>In general I don't like to have my application logic tied to the database

I haven't been taking this into account, but it's a pretty good mindset to have now that I think about it.

its not Vue

What is the best way to explain away a 2.1 GPA and six years to complete my degree?
Here's my idea so far: don't mention the GPA and only put my finishing year on resume.
I do have professional web development experience already, so hopefully that helps.

Keep logic in your application.
If something goes wrong with PHP, then you should alert the user to try again.

Are you me? This is basically exactly where I'm heading. I had a lot of trouble completing my degree, with some mental health/anxiety taking a toll on my GPA.
Ironically I perform really well in my job, I'm just trash at university.

I think I'm just going to not mention my GPA, if they ask for it, be honest and tell them about contributing factors/how I've grown/matured from there. And then point to my professional experience as a proof of my competency and how I've grown. I'm also aiming to have a few side projects/a decent portfolio to make up for my GPA as well.

You aren't gonna be landing any jobs at Google or Facebook, but I think you can make it somewhere half decent if you are honest about your skills.

I think the biggest red flag that an employer sees in doing poorly at university is not technical skills (which isn't really that hard to pick up), but things like problem solving, interpersonal skills and time management.

You can do it user.

Anyone here good with wordpress? I don't understand why I would need to have the Really Simple SSL plugin when i have my site configured with cloudflare

Redpill me on Python for webdev, i see Django is becoming more and more popular,but isn't Python slow as hell?

Attached: 4212414142.jpg (500x600, 13K)

So is node, php and ruby. It's pretty much a prerequisite to being a webdev language.

It's trivial to pick up and use though, hence the popularity. And any of the proper bottlenecks you can always implement in a faster language.

>And any of the proper bottlenecks you can always implement in a faster language
This is what i thought about, of mixing Django with C++ or Rust, but what are the usual bottlenecks for backend? Like i know Python is used for a fuckton of data manipulation and just data "things" so database operations shouldn't really be a problem for it?

Attached: 1541793058250.gif (680x502, 179K)

>If something goes wrong with the PHP while hashing, the account never gets stored
That's good. That's the whole point. Never store plaintext passwords

Don't mention your degree?

What's Jow Forums's (serious) forecast for JS frameworks in 2019?

Is it still ideal to learn React? (over Vue or Angular)
Is the React job market oversaturated, or still excellent?
Will Vue continue to grow, and will we see more Vue jobs?
Will Angular decline or grow?

Attached: 1307327991341.jpg (1600x1327, 867K)

Vue is just plain better, like yeah you can say React this Angular that but Vue is just more fun to use and simply, better.

I love Vue, I've been slowly working it in to some projects at work where I can in order to replace legacy jquery code, and it's been fantastic

meant for

Honestly, it depends on what you're doing. If it's a basic CRUD app, I think django would be able to handle it just fine.
If you're really looking for the speed of a compiled language you could look into go?

This.

I converted an unholy abortion of 500+ lines of jquery into a few vue components and I was rock hard by the end.
I actually enjoyed writing it.

At the moment I only know vue because it's the easiest to pick up, but my roommate has been working in react lately, and apparently react hooks breathe some life into it.

How to best connect to many APIs via REST and reduce the latency to minimum there? I'm unsure which JS framework I should opt for to combine it with PHP+Symfony since I basically just need to grab few JSON files and parse them then send shit back but either I'm missing something or overcomplicating shit since I probably could do with just simple XMLHttpRequest but I have no idea how will it work if I'll have to run, say 10 or more requests simultaneously.

Depends on how unique/time sensitive the API requests are. If the API requests don't change often I'd do the requests on a server and cache the responses (with something like Redis) so that subsequent requests with the same parameters won't require another batch of API calls.

I didn't think about caching but then it won't work in my project anyway as each request will have to get new unique data. Guess my option is to hope it won't all go to shit with say 5 requests running in parallel.

So im building a SPA with angular as frontend and an API in laravel and i was wondering what the best practice is in file storage?

i was looking at this package but the documentation is absolute ass and it doesnt work the way i need it to work:
github.com/danialfarid/ng-file-upload

is it best practice to just store files in laravel storage?

how do you usually design database tables for users and roles?
do you make a third table that connects those two or you just a add a column in users table that references the role in roles table?
im trying to understand pros and cons of either option

Have you tried deactivating the plugin and see what will happen? If it doesn't affect your SSL configuration, you don't really need that

The inbetween tables in SQL which consists only of ID of this and ID of that (for example which customers(ID) use this product(ID)) Is the single worst and most ugly thing about SQL but sadly i really don't know any other way of doing it.

Attached: 97857465.jpg (240x240, 13K)

Is it that hard to understand component structure? is it that hard to write modular and maintainable code? is it that hard to learn TypeScript? is it that hard not to be a faggot and separate templates from classes? is it that hard to use brain?

what about roles table ( admin,userfag,...) and in users table you have a column role_id ?

Surely you can just say you were working and completed it part time. You DID have a job then right?

dont call me shirly

Is there a specific reason that you need to store the uploaded file data as a file?

>components
no. not if you’ve even played with lego
>typescript
there are only two reasons to ever bolt static typing onto a dynamically typed language: extreme speed requirements and to use certain kinds of analysis tools. both of these reasons are stupid 95% of the time. static typing isn’t going to turn shite code from a shite coder into 1337 hackery.
>templates and classes
is it that hard to say what templates and what classes the fuck you mean?

> what templates and what classes

Have you ever used Angular before?

user_roles
id, user_id, role_id

Did you mention Angular? Or am I supposed to think to myself: “Hmmm...this all seems to be about javascript and web frameworks, yup...typescript, ok templates and classes too so this must all mean Angular?

I believe that my first response was to you writing "oh no no no" about Angular, so yes, I am talking about Angular.

I’ve been teaching myself front end dev for the past year. Anyone here has ever landed a job from self teaching? I haven’t applied for a job yet but I need some motivation.

This

Attached: frontend 2018.png (1332x3790, 998K)

what about

do not trust infographs with that font

I’ve been coming back to that a lot lately. Guess I’m in the stage where I should apply for a job. I just haven’t built much shit yet, a simple calculator, a vowel counter etc

It's important to read the rate limits of whatever API you are using. I'd say not to even worry about it unless it becomes an issue.
When it becomes an issue ask for a rate limits increase. When you can increase anymore then use Amazon SQS.

You should try applying for job, but good paying companies are not going to ask you what's the difference between var and let, or how to use webpack, they are going to give you some problem and expect you to explain to them how will you solve it... that's something which is gained through practice.

Should I use Nginx or Haproxy as reverse proxy for my Spring Boot application?

You should kill yourself

why?

>Spring Boot application
>Haproxy
>Nginx
Congratulations, everything that could have gone has gone wrong.

what the fuck should have gone wrong? Explain?

Mongo fags, which GUI should I use?

compass or robo3t? I'm going for the former because the latter sounds stupid.

nosqlbooster

please use `password_*` function when dealing with password and don't even think about using anything else.

php is 3 times faster than python ( CLI )
in web, Django would be faster but if we write a web server in php too (e.g: Amphp ) , you will get same performance and something like PHP Swoole gets you way much better performance than Django.

if you are gonna use JS in the front-end with Symfony in the back-end, then use Api-Platform
its a framework to build APIs, its built on top of symfony, you can use ReactJS ( default ) or VueJS in the front-end ( i think there's support for Angular too but not official ).
otherwise you will have so much headache trying to combine symfony with a front-end framework
api-platform.com/

hi pls see and then

>api-platform.com/

This looks legit as fuck. Why is this not as popular as Laravel?

because there are billions of god damn frameworks out there
and symfony and laravel shits on all of them

because its hard to use
no, symfony loves api-platform, and most of symfony's websites use it including symfony.com

also, api-platform creator is a symfony core member

WIll you ever stoip shitting on anything nonPHP

i'm not shitting on django, i'm stating a fact, you can do benchmarks by yourself.

Ayy, thank god we don't get these too often here.

It's been done, multiple times, you just need a good portfolio and good skills for the technical practical interview. You can do it user!

Yes, I've landed lots, but they were all shit and I quit after a few days. Getting a *good* job in web development is fucking hard. I just went to Indeed.com, looked at jobs, and just closed the tab because I imagined the 500,000 other people doing the same thing.

So here's my advice, that I've taken myself:
Stop looking for jobs, create your own income with your skills. Seriously, it's not hard to build a website, throw in affiliant links, etc. It's hard to get the website known, but that's where you need to focus.

Fuck those HR faggots. Create your own work. Strive to increase your income every month.

If you are monetizing your own website chances are some company wants to hire you bro. That's a skill.

warosu.org/g/thread/65029370#p65034692

you can just adda a column to users and use that info to authorize further

laravel authorization is awesome at this
there are few options you can choose but using policies and authorize() helper is the best imo
fuck the middleware i never use them

I'm sure lots of companies want to hire me, but I'm not going to go looking for them, I've abandoned that. I did apply to one tech giant, which I would definitely work for. That was like two weeks ago. I'll wait a month before moving on.

What's the Visual Studio Code equivalent of the atom-live-server package?

I'm using this one. marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ritwickdey.LiveServer I haven't tried atom so maybe this is not the one you're looking for

Thanks a lot, this looks like exactly it.

if I want to work with ecommerce webdev which route should I take? what's the best stack/languages/frameworks to use to get things done quickly and safe? from what I've researched I guess I'll have to use php and one of its frameworks, sql (either mysql or postgresql), html/css/js, maybe also golang. I'll have to know wordpress, joomla and drupal and its ecommerce plugins. am I going to the right direction?

I'm fully memeing here (not based on my main knowledge but on what I've heard arround) but I've heard Magento mentioned some times in reference to e-comerce platforms.

These are the weirdest kinds of posts.

1) Choose arbitrary segment of webdev, If you can build a blog,
you can build ecommerce, but ecommerce is such a great buzzword

2) Should I use buzzword and buzzword? I should probably learn
buzzword?

Am I going in the right direction?

what's a CDN and how do I use one?

Sorry my IQ is like single digits

you're right and I'll also consider it but according to latest stats those are the top 3 most used CMS; top 5 has shopify and magento if I'm not mistaken. thx for replying

thx for replying and yea you have a point but I thought I was supposed to do my own basic research before ask for help/orientation here

prestashop is also big, it's specific for e-commerce, but wants to charge you for a lot of things, some of them you can do for free with workarounds and doing it yourself importing the right modules in the right places. Redsys payment come to my mind, since we did that in class, you have to import the visa payment module in the right place pre downloaded from the redsys page that dictates which version of prestashop to use, or something like that, desu I'd get an up to date book on the subject

Do you know how to build an application?

Can u make a frontend, connect to backed, with authentication, sessions?

how do i get into Golang as a frontend dev? not sure where to learn stuff and projects to try

Content Delivery Network

I probably could if I tried but I'd struggle, I'm not an expert let's say, I'm a newbie.

So why mention ecommerce? Make a todo app in node and react
with signin. Learn what a session is, authorization logic,
testing, etc.

Learning buzzwords is not work.

has anyone used vue for building adverts on google studio?

you are right my dude, atm I'm too bussy with web dev trade school, the only really related thing I'm learning right now is database theory/practice and I'm struggling with that, I'm left with no energy or motivation to do anything else, I'm not the guy asking for e-commerce advice btw

any free php tutorial links? I need to learn asap

Take your time. I had to learn webdev quickly, so I went the build it
first route.

udemy.com/node-with-react-fullstack-web-development/

Try this in your spare time.

thanks, this would be new and refreshing, but, don't you think I should first go deeper into what I know that's PHP, MySQL and Ajax?

Attached: fukkensaved.png (240x225, 63K)

Dumb question. As you can see there is one object called 'taxi'. And there is a function with the parameter 'car' thats pointing at that object. How does the function know to point at 'taxi'? Im not telling her to point at taxi, but to point at 'car' which there isn't such object. Also what is I had two objects, let's say 'taxi' and 'bus' with same properties but different values, lets say instead Honda there would be golf. If I call the same function how will it know which object to refer to ?

Attached: how.jpg (531x570, 44K)

>what is I had two object
what if I had two objects*

>freetutorials.eu/
Bless up.

Google for a tutorial in that stack then. The point of webdev is to build shit that works.

Build simple todos lists apps with authentication.

Always write tests. There will be third party packages for sessions,
authorization. Use those the first time around. Second app build
the same app but this time lower level. Don't use bootstrap, maybe go vanilla js.

If the first time you used templates, this time write an API.

People build portfolios with complex apps and fancy css tricks, but
the key is that you understand fundamentals.

Google search/sort algs from interactivepython. They also have a section on tree data structures.

At this point you will be very hirable. Start interviewing.
In the meantime, do leetcode exercises and figuring out
how javascript works by implementing a promise.

The field that you are going into pays the same or better than a doctor.
Doctors go to school for 12 years and get 500k in debt to make the
kind of money you are trying to make. If you are "just not motivated"
write "pussy" on your forehead in big red letters and call it a day. At least
be honest with yourself.

you do prequeal(taxi), that's where you tell the function which object to look at, in this case at the taxi one.
if you have two, then you can run prequeal(bus) to get the results for the other one.