No because no money in it

Why use this and not another BSD?
I though it was like:
- OpenBSD for outdated stuff with pretended security and bad performance
- FreeBSD for recent stuff and SJWing
- DragonFly BSD for HammerFS if you live in blackout-prone areas

I was messing with it a bit.

netbsd runs on anything, even a literal unironic toaster

I use NetBSD because of thr fantastic community and documentation along with easy useability. It covers everything I need and does it in a fast manner across all my computers. Security isn't a primary concern but still maintained well (impossble to have a "secure" anything). Have you used any BSD and did actual research or do you swallow everything from the Jow Forums wars?

But has it drivers for everythings devices?

People who use netbsd should be writing their own drivers.

openBSD + dwm for offline semi airgapped machines

Fair enough.
>Have you used any BSD and did actual research or do you swallow everything from the Jow Forums wars?
yes
jk, I swallowed everything from the reddit.com/r/ wars
jk, your mom told me
jk, the train driver from Terry A. Davis told me
jk, it was written in a document of Stallmans stolen computer
jk, Steven Jobs last words

No to both. Drivers are in development for most things. The main issues I say are gpu drivers but if you have a fat card you probably game/V-design and this isn't the os for you, windows will be your best bet.

acidic and netpilled
based and gappilled

OpenBSD + DWM is a truly comfy combo. I ran it for a while but went back to Linux eventually.
Why use NetBSD over the other BSDs?

Attached: pepebsd.png (270x321, 42K)

NetBSD has xen and isn't fully vuln sfw trash like FreeBSD.

What is the smallest chip it can run on?

google how big it is then google a chip with that much memory.

You can build netbsd pretty small there is documentation on it. I have no real answer but search.

Sound doesn't work at all.

Of course it runs NetBSD!

No there are not.

You can use NetBSD as a Xen Hypervisor?

Why use NetBSD?

Default install: 10 processes / 40mb total
Excellent examples of portable code (device drivers etc)
build.sh
pkgsrc
rumpkernels
speed (compared to openbsd)

NetBSD is insecure compared to OpenBSD and completely worthless now that you can install other BSDs on any architecture.

Bhyve on NetBSD possible?

Uh no. NetBSD has all the modern security features and some of it's own.

Works on my end.

Yes

I don't believe so at thr moment xen is an option though

Send your sound device's name I'll look around

I use it on some older devices. It's easy to use with good docs and more features than OpenBSD. Though the rapid development makes it slightly less secure. Still more secure than FreeBSD and more secure than a lot of Linux distros. I'd say the main advantage is that it runs on literally anything. I've used it on old PowerPC and m68k Macintoshes and SGI MIPS workstations, and it ran well with good hardware support on all of them except my SGI O2, where it ran headless. But all the command line tools and networking worked as expected. The obscure ports are truly where NetBSD shines.

Attached: 1544366254193.png (720x720, 269K)

It's still worthless because all BSDs are portable. Just as portable as NetBSD is. You won't even need NetBSD on some ultra obscure architecture and most of the software won't even work.

>It's still worthless because all BSDs are portable
Is this another "just compile it yourself dude, what is convenience?" shitpost?

Literally read up on their device driver architecture. It's more portable than Linux.

OpenBSD is just as portable if not more.

OP here, this shouldn't be a BSD war thread. I love OBSD as much as Net. I use them for different reasons. OpenBSDs on all my servers and my router while NetBSD is on my main. Lets just agree FreeBSD is bad and move on from myOS vs yourOS.

> Lets just agree FreeBSD is bad
I can do this.

I am considering getting an X200 for class, for taking notes and some light programming. I'm gonna want an OS that's lightweight and stable, and doesn't require hours of bullshit to get it into a working state. Is NetBSD a good option? What's software like for it? My text editors of choice are usually Sam and Kate.

NetBSD definitely runs ancient text editors like those.

Default install of NetBSD is quick and comes with X but it still a needs to install your desired DE/WM. NetBSD is lightweight and fast. The documentation and IRC (usually quiet but when someone's there gr8 help) is great. So if you do come across an issue you'll pull yourself out no issue or just come back to this thread. I'm going to try maintaining a *BSD thread often here.

I will bump your thread.

>tfw solaris doesn't support UEFI

FreeBSD has the most (((corporate support))) though

Cool, thanks user. Is it like linux where there's a package manager I install stuff with? What's a good DE or WM for it? Sorry for all the questions, I've pretty always stuck to Debian and its daughter distros so I'm not super familiar with the BSD ecosystem.

It has tegra drivers for nvidia cards *dabs*

For a user case yes its pretty much like linux with a bit of differences here and there. I would say to install XFCE4 for your needs of a DE. There is a package manager and for a bit of a history lesson BSD was the first to have a package manager.

We need more threads like this instead of headphone threads and other stupid shit. I actually learned something from this thread and im seriously considering bsd now.

Sadly but who knows maybe that's what kills an OS.

Go for it. It will make you better at computers.

the package manager is called pkgin ;)

>Just as portable as NetBSD is
No.

Is there a good reason to use a BSD-based OS as a development environment if you're not specifically targeting that particular OS? I love the small memory/CPU footprint NetBSD has on first install but I can't justify switching to it solely based on that.

Attached: ryan-time.jpg (275x350, 17K)

OpenBSD's strong malloc makes it super easy to find bugs in your software. Even more so with sysctl vm.malloc_conf=S.

dtrace is also fuckin stronk, other than that FLOSSware just runs anywhere so whats the difference kernel-wise?

How about DragonFlyBSD?

I love OpenBSD but it's so damn slow compared to Linux on my Thinkpad x201.

Especially noticeable when browsing net.

Why do *BSD developers rarely use the GPL? I always thought that the BSD license was bad

Because the GPL requires the people who write the code to work for free. The BSD license gives them the option of working for free.

There's a disbute between what freedom really means having a choice or forcing freedom. GPL pretty much means its free no matter what while BSD's states if someone chooses to resale with changes or something then it can be done. Don't quote me do your research please.

Try it yourself.

sdf.org

Free NetBSD shell accounts.

DragonFly is a research vehicle for DragonFly itself, so if you want to hack on a unix kernel it's a good choice. Linux or FreeBSD would probably be a better choice for third party application dev.

I want to pay them money but they're super autistic about it