It's 2018

It's 2018
you're either:
>a word/libreoffice cuck, just get off this board
>cucktex user that thinks he's cool because he has 3 gigs of literal bloat that he'll never use on his / and in his package manage cache
>le ebin lukesmith groff user. absolutely retarded in every way
Explain in 2 lines why the FUCK you haven't taken the LOUT pill yet?
The ENTIRE lout system, including the typesetting and converting fits onto a FLOPPY DISK. Plus unlike groff it uses postscript fonts so you're not limited to literal 70's garbage.
>Lout makes it easy to mix text and graphics. You can draw lines, arrows and boxes, scale and rotate objects, use color commands. While many of these things are possible in LaTeX by including Postscript files generated by utility programs such as xfig, you have to specify the size of each included figure, losing a lot of Lout's flexibility.
etc etc etc
take the lout pill and enjoy the true power to document typesetting. Just look how fucking simple it is to insert an image or make a flowchart from scratch.

Attached: 2018-12-09-1544378409.png (975x570, 152K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jeffreykingston.id.au/lout/rtr.c
adrianjwells.freeuk.com/lout.pdf
ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/0131240722/downloads/blanchette_book.pdf
sourceforge.net/projects/lout/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

your subpixel rendering looks like trash

>compares it to textprocessors
>minimalistic
>still turing complete
>print-only
>ghostscript-based
>but hey it can include images this time
3/10 you tried

Because the LOUT pill is the red pill from Total Recall (1990)

it outputs to pdf and plaintext just fine retard

Attached: 2018-12-09-1544378277.png (1056x757, 168K)

Latex + Texstudio. Make nice documents in comfort with minimal effort. Why bother with anything else?
>LaTeX is bloat!
If actually using your storage to store things bothers you, just install the core packages and add more when you need them.

Attached: pepecomfy.png (1000x1000, 760K)

exactly what I said, retard

the "core" latex package is over 100x bigger than all of lout and you won't use 99% of it. Yet it can only be packaged this way because the design of latex is fucking retarded.
lout has the simplicity and ease of use of groff -ms or -me while being just as powerful as latex, if not more so.
also the latex syntax is fucking trash and isn't as intuitive as .pp or @PP. Additionally they way lout handles bolding, underlining etc is so much fucking better than anything else it's hard to go back.

Attached: 2018-12-09-1544397720.png (488x318, 30K)

>Precompiled packages

Attached: 1543581969074.jpg (236x208, 9K)

compiling latex is a fucking nightmare and even gentoo packages bins

But user, I use markdown to html with CSS for print.

>no semantical highlighting
>strictly for print-typesetting, no html, epub or other screen-optimized output
>turing complete = shit to automate, needs to be sandboxed
>guaranteed to have no properly written standard
>written in C
>savannah page
>relies on the PDF compiler that is a walking security hole
meh, 3/10 would use as optional backend in an XML based toolchain

here's a program that will convert latex references to lout ones.
jeffreykingston.id.au/lout/rtr.c
I like using cheap 64gig SSDs for some of my machines and it just wouldn't cut it for latex + the rest of the system. Also it sucks to have like 1.5 hours of battery life while writing because the CPU is constantly being maxed out on your shitbox. It's hard for me to look at the raw typesetting and visualize what the document would look like after writing it, so I need my previews constantly updated. Even a basic one like just compiling and viewing through zathura is a lot of work for a C2D/early i.
Basically you have the choice between:
>buetiful C code, no dependencies, compiles in an instant with nice syntax
>hacked together bullshit which is essentially impossible to properly compile on your own (even fucking portage has problems, you constantly have to unmerge tex packages to get them to update)
>disguesting syntax filled with dogshit backslahes, like 15 lines worth of a header, needs to pull in 25 packages just to output a simple document and it'll spike your CPU at 100% when doing so because to output to pdf it goes through like 4 different formats.
read through this and enjoy:
adrianjwells.freeuk.com/lout.pdf
pic related took me a fraction of the effort that latex would have and it's literally impossible with groff

Attached: 2018-12-09-1544394109.png (659x874, 109K)

You can make your own document formats as well, so no need to maintain a bunch of autistically written templates, you can define macros, page settings, stylesettings etc in one file and just source it. Because lout is so portable and small it doesn't need you to keep track of whatever dumb font package you need installed to compile your documents.
It's literally impossible to change page color in groff, but it's one line in lout, and not only can you define whatever fucking color you want, it also supports all the xrgb colors so you can just use the names of whatever color you want.
I really don't think I can go back to the "latex for complicated docs and groff for simple ones" shit anymore. we lout now.

Attached: 2018-12-09-1544399821.png (1049x815, 105K)

WHO
CARES
STOP MAKING THREADS ABOUT THIS AUTISTIC SHIT
LITERALLY EVERYONE ON THIS WEBSITE JUST USES GOOGLE DOCS OR PIRATED MS OFFICE OR LIBREOFFICE
THEYRE ALL FREE

YOU DONT NEED TO USE THIS DOGSHIT
STOP BEING A STUPID FUCKING HIPSTER, NOTHING YOU WRITE IS HAS ANY WORTH ANYWAY

>PIRATED MS OFFICE
Do not use proprietary software, it is harmful and the enemy of your freedom.

yeah yeah fuck off you dumb autists
kill yourself

I will if you and all your friends stop using harmful software

u-uriel is that you????
>the original autistic groff user

>no Windows binary

Autistic bullshit.

This entire book was written in lout.
See for yourself what it can do
ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/0131240722/downloads/blanchette_book.pdf

Seriously, can I get a windows binary?
I wanna try this, even though OP is shilling it way too hard.
I was literally a couple of hours ago thinking about how much I hate wysiwyg editors, and this thing does seem to be kind of what I was looking for. But I'm not about to compile it myself.

>using anything other than WYSIWYG word processors like msword, libreoffice, etc
literal autism

it's a tiny C program with no dependencies, trivial to compile
sourceforge.net/projects/lout/
they seem to have some kind of windows version, but you're probably better off with a VM or not using a shit OS

>unironically using WYGIWYG.
Why do you hate your sanity?

meanwhile, lout:
>make
>sudo make install

Attached: 2018-12-09-1544404348.png (538x641, 144K)

That actually explains a lot....
guess I'll just use groff from now on

>dat subtier kerning
Also, those shit tier table of content dots.

>word/libreoffice
hey Iĺl have you know, just cause I haven taken the text editor pill yet doesn't mean I don't have any FREEDUMS so fuk you. Also
>WYSIWYG sux
>Use LaTeX, itś much better
>LaTeX is bloat, *roff is so much better
>lout can fit on a 3.5" floppy
I'm waiting for
>He uses computers to make pdfs
>Not just writing everything in cursive with a fountain pen
>If you can think of it you can draw it no syntax no packages required, just use your hand
and
>This cuck uses the printed word to communicate
>not sparing your HDD and trees by simply memorizing anything and reciting it
>BLOAT

>posting all of that on 4channel instead of communicating it telepathically
BLOAT

I don't. That's why I don't have to worry about syntax errors and fucking up nested text effects. I just select my text and hit a few buttons.

stop being retarded le plebbit taking things to an extreme is not an argument.
read. Latex is a shitshow. I like my programs to be highly portable, can run on anything and I don't need to read fucking technical documentation just to compile it from source.
Try compiling any large document with latex to pdf, especially with graphics and references.
>literally has goes through the processes the document multiple times for bibtex to work right
>converts it to several different formats then to pdf
>produces like 5 worthless output files.
if you're running on a laptop it takes a good 3-5 seconds per run, now, even a simple preview setup with the pdflatex running in a loop and zathura reading to a file will wreck your CPU and destroy any kind of laptop battery life.
groff and lout don't have this problem, both are highly portable and effiecent. So you can actually write with your laptop without needing to have a charger handy.
So why lout over groff?
Well groff is fine...until it isn't. It's old as fuck and doesn't work well if you wan't something that isn't directly going to output to a printer.
So you literally cannot have colored pages.
Also, even mom macros are very limited, and when I realized I was using a mix of mom, me, pure groff and still lacking functions I needed I knew it was time to switch.
lout is just as light as groff (if not lighter actually) with all the while being 90% as powerful as latex.

Yes, if your specialty has a latex package or if you're going some *very* advanced math use whatever makes things easier for you; but lout is more than enough for 99% of usecases.

ESPECIALLY if you're into making your own document templates, because it's trivial to basically make your own class of document, impossible to do with groff and it would take learning a fucking turing complete programming language to do with latex.

also vim has lout syntax highlight by defualt and will apply even bold and italics right in the terminal.

Attached: 1544368942913.gif (500x500, 1.86M)

I've been running lout in a loop for about 2 hours now and fucking vim + zathura use more CPU and RAM than it does. Meaning after it's done it literally leaves no trace in your mempory, I can't even find the processes with an htop filter. I bet you can get it to compile every .5s for basically instant previews.
Also note the source. That small bit of formatting at the top is all I need to produce that document.
I gotta say, absolutely based.

Attached: 2018-12-09-1544408258.png (1611x911, 196K)

Real little girls use markdown

Is this in active development?

If I can't memorize the syntax in 2 hours I don't want to use it
what good is a system that's supposed to be fast if I can't actually use it fast.
yes and no. It's completely stable and essentially future complete but it's still maintained and you can go on the mailing lists if you have any issues, there is no public version control on trannyhub, thankfully.
Every distro, even openbsd has the latest version packaged.
I suggest you wget the tarball, unpack it and just run make. marvel that an entire typesetting system pdf compiler included will compile in less than 5 minutes even on a C2D shitbox. And yes, no dependencies, just C.
Obviously you should install it through your package manager though.

Attached: 2018-12-09-1544388485.png (931x490, 139K)

Groff was literally made by the guy that made XML
Uriel is rolling in his grave by even associating him near that XML tier shit.

uriels plebbit account has multiple posts of him praising troff.

Absolute fucking kek
I got it to compile the document so fast zathura literally can't refresh fast enough.
BASED C
DO THIS SHIT WITH LATEX FAGGOTS

Attached: lout-2018-12-09_21.42.29.webm (1600x900, 1.54M)

LITERALLY COMPILING A DOCUMENT 10 TIMES A SECOND. 600 FUCKING TIMES A MINUTE
NO FUCKING DEPENDENCIES
5MB BINARY
FITS
ON
A
FLOPPY
JUST FUCKING TRY TO COMPETE WITH THIS

Attached: smug cat with anime girl.jpg (500x631, 97K)

I'm still not convinced with the typesetting quality
There's a reason Latex is bloated to fuck, and the included packages are part of it but they're not the whole story. I'm all for minimalism when it makes sense, but when it comes to document layout and typesetting, is a "minimal" set of features really good enough?

you just fucking described lout
it's so fucking minimul you can have it compile fater than you can view the output. It's a single binary with everything you need from text to math to charts etc
LOOK

I'm serious. Someone try to get a latex document to compile 600 times a minute

Yeah. Troff. As in, Plan 9 troff.

it's all the same garbage
can't even set a fucking background color

Nigger I get that it's minimal and what I'm saying is I'm not convinced that a "minimal" typesetting system can be good enough to replace all the "bloat" of latex.
You don't have to show me any more arguments about how minimal it is, because yes I fucking get it, it's tiny and it's fast as fuck, I believe you, that's not my issue here.

And your response is lout? If I wanted to use a literally who piece of typesetting software, I might as well use patoline or sile. In reality I'll just use Heirloom troff.

pollen is pretty based and redpilled

Equations looks like shit compared to TeX, though.

Attached: Screenshot_20181210-090800.jpg (241x144, 20K)

Go through and see if it covers all your use cases
lmao fucking groff + mom can't compete with lout, you think 70's troff can?
fuck off you dumb hipster.

well, is it "good enough"? Or were you just being a faggot