Is calculus helpful for computer science?

Did any of you CS majors also have calc as a required course? Is any of what you learn in calculus relevant to CS?

Attached: 025949.jpg (586x365, 58K)

no

only very vaguely so not really

Calculus is required in any scienctific field to weed out low IQ faggots.

only if you work with physics. so no.

>calculus is hard
nice meme

it's required because if you can't figure it out you shouldn't waste your time with trying to wrap your head around CS

That seems like the general consensus of this thread. Most of the CS related math I've done so far has been as hard or harder than calculus and calculus wasn't too much of an issue for me. So I guess that makes sense.

Only for statistics and machine learning. Linear algebra is more generally useful but you'll want to know both anyway to not be mathematically crippled.

It's hard for some people. You can understand why weeding them out is a good thing.

There are people alive that can't grasp basic algebra.

Calculus exists primarily as a mechanism for extracting student loan money when students fail a 5-credit class once or twice before proceeding to subsequent 5-credit class which they will also fail once or twice.

It's also a great filter to keep dumb people out of upper level courses where they'll just be dead weight slowing everyone down.

t. former calculus teacher

I passed calculus, but opted out of the STEM major when I saw it was primarily calculus. Which for anyone who wants to do something important, is a colossal waste of time and is never used. Also my 'peers' were many retarded faggots memed into STEM by mommy and daddy. Does that make me low IQ? No, this user is correct

Is computer science helpful for calculus?

Attached: SC_SCAM.png (224x250, 4K)

Yes data structure, algorithms and discrete are all routed in calc.

> too stupid
If anything they're smarter. Higher pay for less work

>too stupid
YOU IS

I'm from a school that actually does research with computer science and it's a yes. It's a prerequisite for machine learning and Numerical and Symbolic Computation courses. I know most retarded schools don't require it though.

Second this. Calculus is hard but CS related math is harder.

>multiplying by 2 is hard

There are things in the world that require knowledge of both computer science topics and calculus. It may not be you but somebody needs to do that shit. Early computers were made to solve problems like calculating ballistics for artillery. Real world is full of all kinds on non-linearities that to be modeled need applied calculus.

No. You dont need to know any math as a code monkey other than arithmetic

Yes. And if you can't understand calculus your ideal career is a janitor. Brainlets GTFO

this:

machine learning.

I received better grades when I was an engineering major. I don't get this meme.

None of the CS classes I took were relevant to anything, since CS is a meme major where meme professors who have never had a real job in their lives teach students meme skills that don't apply to the real world, all while glossing over things like discrete math or actual computer science topics because those are 'meme subjects' that 'don't apply to the real world'

Fields in computer science that need calculus:
- AI (probably the most important application of calculus in CS as of right now)
- Analytics (specifically numerical analysis)
- Most cross discipline research with or chemists/physicists/medicine (bioinformatics is big right now, and uses a fuck load of calculus, most simulations for the hard sciences will use a lot of calc as well)
- Hardware design (although some might argue this belongs more to the broader field of engineering)
- Imagine processing

Fields in computer science that don't need calculus:
- Pure theoretical computer science (we already know that we can't represent the real numbers with computers so the responsibility has been sluffed off to the numerical analysis people to get good estimates)
- Algorithms (although some algs may deal with problems seen in calculus, but the study of pure algorithms is rarely concerned with the real numbers)
- Automaton and language theories
- Compilers
- Operating systems
- Networking
- Cryptography

Fields in general programming (non-scientific) jobs that need calculus:
- Game programming (both physics engines and graphics engines are going to rely heavily on calculus)

Fields which are non-scientific that don't need calculus:
- Software dev
- Databases
- UX
- Sys-admin
- Security

>- Imagine processing

fucking brain on auto-pilot. image processing is what i meant to type

At my school Calculus was a required course before you could even take any CS classes (it could be a corequisite for the very first CS classes though)
It was never specifically useful, the only part I could really see directly relating to computer science would be like the niggery way of integrating where you just make lots of rectangle and add up their areas - Reimann sums or some shit I forget the name it's been 13 years since I took Calculus. Niggery approximations is a pretty nice thing to understand how to do because you don't always need exact answers.

here is the thing though boss. when it comes to domain specific use, you don't need to set out on a semester long theoretical journey. you can just learn the heuristic, the formula, the short cut, etc and get one with your life.

While I don't think you need all 6-8 classes of calculus typically offered in an undergraduate course to be able to work in those fields, you should at least have calc I and maybe calc II so you at least understand what the fuck you're doing/working with.