Former apple user here...

Former apple user here. I got out of the ecosystem around 2016 or so because I couldn't stand the no-travel keyboards Apple was pushing. Can anyone give me a rundown on what Apple products are like these days? I do think I picked the right time to get out because they're not only making shitty keyboards but also removing ports and jacking up prices. However I still think that the 2-in-1 laptop product category is a mistake and that tablets and laptops should have different OSes.

Attached: apple.jpg (900x900, 16K)

>shit keyboards
>no ports
>inadequate cooling
>difficult or impossible to repair or upgrade
>macos software sucks and there's not a lot of it
>ports of linux software like gimp are half assed and don't work
I ditched my 2011 MacBook Pro 13 inch for a Core i5 ThinkPad X230 with Ubuntu a few years ago. I've upgraded to a 500GB SSD and 16GB RAM and this thing is still kicks ass. It's just that any my Ryzen desktop at home. I don't really need anything else.

>macos software sucks and there's not a lot of it

I never did get into Apple's creative software. I've heard some people say that Final Cut is good. Is it? I use Premiere Pro and I honestly have a hard time even imagining better video editing software in terms of features.

I don't do video editing but if I did I would just keep a dedicated Winshit machine around since there's better software available, and it's easier to pirate it all. What I really expected from Mac OS was a rock solid Unix system with a nice GUI, and it fulfilled neither of those expectations. I found that the desktop environment is backwards dogshit for queers that did nothing but frustrate me and all of the *nix tools were inferior, outdated, garbage and getting new ones required a buggy third party package manager.

Basically it taught me that I should use Linux with KDE, and if there's ever software I need that's Windows only and doesn't run in WINE, I'll just have to use Windows. There's no middle ground with that. Luckily I'm not tied to any Windows-specific software so Linux is the right fit for me.

Just go to any electronics store and see for yourself how shitty their new products are.

>Can anyone give me a rundown on what Apple products are like these days?

Attached: 1524789746554.png (700x10000, 3.95M)

Macbook pro is based and has a shit keyboard but its still based

Not sure... Still running my 6S. Just put in a new battery and screen yesterday. Good for another 3 years.

The newest Macs have a display connector fault that will cause then to kill their CPUs at the first malfunction

Macshit Poo was never based.

Attached: 1534805855136.jpg (656x611, 84K)

Imagine never loosing hours of work because your editing software crashed

>Imagine never loosing hours of work because your editing software crashed
This is the exact reason I abandoned macshit.
Never again.

Attached: 1515935864449.png (588x986, 188K)

Doesn’t final cut auto save all the time so even if it crashes nothing is lost? I haven’t used it enough to make it actually crash but I tried force closing to see if changes would be saved since there is no save button, and they were, so I thought a crash also wouldn’t erase anything

I still really like my again tower, still kicks ass. I want to keep it around, put in new parts from time to time. I gotta get a new laptop though, for work purposes. Gotta say, 6 core i7 with 32Gb of RAM is pretty tempting. I'm still pissed at all USB C and the fucking price of the damn thing

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 1.36.12 AM.png (632x395, 141K)

+1
sounds very strange

Used mac (don't remember exactly what of the newer models) once in my life at my friends place and was infuriated when it suddenly required a fucking dongle to connect to TV. Being used to usual laptops where its basically PC with less ports and computing power (and shittier screen) it was truly enraging experience. Like what the fuck, Apple?

OY VEY GOYIM LOOKS LIKE YOU NEED A DONGLE
WE JUST HAPPEN TO HAVE ONE FOR $79.99 PLUS TAX

Attached: 1524712301110.png (691x688, 512K)

I am Linux user for 17 years and I am saving money for a macbook.
I really like their full-metal thin design and superb touchpad+display, can't help myself...
All I need for a living is a browser and bash+vim. I think I will be fine.

>t. street shitter

>trying to fit in
>on Jow Forums

well, sorry

But seriously, are there any good ultrabooks with +- same design/display/touchpad but without Microsoft vendorlocks and good working Linux drivers?

Literally every fucking chromebook.

>good working Linux drivers
>for locked down macintrash with locked BIOSs that are completely unheard of in PC laptops
LMAO

Attached: 1526502296159.jpg (1800x4500, 1.94M)

Oh, is it even a computer?
Dat OS, mein gott... android emulator inside of a browser. Google is insane.
Can I run clang on it?

Yeah, I understand that, nothing is perfect and I have to choose a lesser evil... at least more comfortable, coz I am old and lazy.
My wife got one, and it is quite nice, incredible battery life and good performance, everything works like charm (hardware). And I believe homebrew will solve my software needs.

>incredible battery life and good performance, everything works like charm (hardware)
Ask me how I know you shit in the street.

>Oh, is it even a computer?
Yes.
>Dat OS, mein gott... android emulator inside of a browser.
Wrong.
>Can I run clang on it?
You can install a regular Linux distros on it since chromeOS is a Linux distro.

>everything works like charm (hardware)
>macbook
How many lawsuits does it take to pull people out of Apple's reality distortion field?

>You can install a regular Linux distros
ORLY? What about UEFI locks?
There was few hackable books, but they are history now.

>left the Apple ecosystem literally just 2 years ago
>”what’s going on with apple these days fellow adolescents? It’s been soooooooo long since I’ve seen a product of that damn company”
Please kys

I like MacBooks. They’re expensive but I’m not poor so what ever.

>fag CEO takes over company
>everything falls apart
well...

i’m okay with the keyboards, but the occasion when some dust gets in is annoying
prices went up, still expensive as fuck to get extra storage
t2 chip is apparently buggy as fuck
i don’t have an issue with the ports but the usb-c to hdmi cable only wakes up half the time

strangely enough my touchbar macbook pro runs cooler than my retina macbook pro

I'm OK with the lack of ports because those ports are Thunderbolt 3, which is an extremely capable port anyway. So you can't plug in a lot of separate things at once, yes, but you can drive an external display at 120hz and charge your computer all while simultaneously transferring data all through one little port. So I'm OK with Apple's leap into Thunderbolt 3.
Apple's products have always been expensive, so no surprise there.
I've come to like the new keyboards, actually. Now that they're more reliable, the lack of travel doesn't bother me. My problem with them initially was just the fact that they used to get BTFO by crumbs but that's no longer the case. I don't care about travel on laptop keys, it leads to a faster and more accurate typing experience having less travel and larger, more stable keys anyway.
Really disagree with Apple's attempts to turn the iPad into a laptop replacement by adding a keyboard. The iPad was not designed to be a laptop; stop trying to contort it into one. Let it be a tablet. There was nothing wrong with the Smart Cover. The whole point of the iPad was to drop the keyboard and mouse anyway.