Is gaming on an OS other than windows practical yet...

Is gaming on an OS other than windows practical yet? I don't want to use windows anymore but it feels like I'm SOL unless I want to go through an ordeal every time I want to play a game.

Attached: dkrat.png (170x153, 36K)

>playing in 2018

This. Pc games have been shit for years. Just buy a switch or ps4

I don't know what games you play but I've had 100% success with Steam Play. My mainstays are Crysis 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Skyrim, Doom, Fallout New Vegas / 3 / 4, and a bunch of other stuff that escapes me right now. Some of the games like Deus Ex actually play better. All the framerates are 100-300 with an 8700k and GTX 970.

>windows has built-in mouse acceleration
>practical for gaming
LOL

Attached: 1522116001268.gif (207x154, 483K)

Unfortunately I play a lot of non steam games as well.

>playing in 2018

shit taste

I know. I'm old. I still play Half Life 2 and Far Cry 1 cuz i just can't let go. I hate most of the new stuff and utterly refuse to even entertain the thought of Fortnite et al
Like what?

Gaming on Linux is very practical if you don't mind using steam

older games still exist

Otter cookies!

steam play, wine, and other compatibility layers are pretty good, if something doesnt work you can usually tweak em a bit anyways

It's surprisingly good desu. When my main HD died I got stuck on my Linux fallback partition for a while. Together with steam cloud saves I was able to continue playing like nothing happened. Some of the games I tried even ran better (less hitching for some reason)
You won't be able to play everything out there but on Steam you'll still have enough games to play until the end of time.

It was kind of surprising to me honestly I was expecting things to be much worse than that. It was pretty fucking dire bad in the day let me tell you

Those generally run fine through wine

>linux
>anything running fine
lmao

>Some of the games I tried even ran better (less hitching for some reason)
This x100. No matter how much hardware I threw at Deus Ex HR, it would hitch like crazy when I went to a new map but under Linux it hardly hitches at all. Turned a fairly mediocre experience into one of my favorite games.

I've had the exact same experience in running games through wine. I play on Vanilla WoW private servers from time to time, and my loading times have exponentially improved from what they were on windows.

In my experience it seemed like autosaving caused it. Windows was probably doing blocking writes to disk. Linux tends to do IO through ram (no hitching) and then writes stuff to disk slowly in the background unless you call fsync. And I guess Wine doesn't.

Whatever it was it made games feel faster on my shitty ten year old HD than they did on an SSD in Windows. Advantages of server/filesystem optimizations in your OS I guess.

Game on consoles. Gaming on Mac/BSD/Linux would be my bottom of the barrel choice.

PS4 is literally BSD

VFIO gpu passtrought
game streaming
Steam Proton

Can't game on Linux ? Are you retarded ?

It now beat Mac os X for gaming, not for apps but it nearly fully compete with Windows.