So much to learn

Where to begin?
I've been wanting to get into programming and software development, but there's so much to learn I feel like I get overwhelmed. Every resource I seen to come by says the same shit
>code.org, codecademy, all that shit
I know how the languages work, I know what loops are, I know algorithms
I took a computer Science course last year and I really liked it. The teacher taught the course with Java and I learned the language but I feel like there's so much to learn and the more books I read, the more I browse, the more I feel like there's more shit that I DONT know.
It doesn't help that my teacher had us using BlueJ and I still dont know what IDE is good or how to even use a real IDE.
My point is, where do I go from here guys? How do I learn how to put my new knowledge to use?

sorry for the blog

Attached: Capture.png (187x277, 72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

Jow
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

install gentoo

it's easy, really. just think of something that you want to build. it can be something original, or it can be a copy of something that already exists. then, just start building it. you will encounter problems and you'll have to think of ways to fix the problems, and you'll have to learn how to google for solutions to the problems that you can't figure out on your own. eventually, if you keep at it, you will complete the project. congratulations, you now know how to do everything that professional programmers know how to do.
there is no need to learn *everything*. you just need to know how to solve problems.
i've been doing this for 35 years and i'm still learning new stuff all the time. there's a hell of a lot of stuff i still don't know, and i never will.

>I know how the languages work, I know what loops are, I know algorithms
Is it?

In your programming language of choice, find all the odd numbers between 0 and 100.

I saw that thread like 2 weeks ago on Jow Forums

Make a text editor with your own conventions for your own convenience and nobody elses

Did you got the source?

Attached: 1543273151328.jpg (794x1200, 264K)

user@localhost $ cat printOdds.swift
func printOdds() {
stride(from: 1, through: 100, by: 2).forEach { print($0) }
}

printOdds()
user@localhost $ swift printOdds.swift

Thank you. I want her to sit on my face.

>take AP CompSci, which is java, and small python course through dual enrollment in high school
>pass the exam easily
>try to learn c++, give up because “it’s hard” when it was really bad assumptions I’d made about how to program when I knew no native languages
>“learn” c# and make some graphical applications I personally needed in using winforms and other shit
>ask Jow Forums about what I miss understood, get explaination, realize it was me being retarded
>go back to c++ after some software engineer in the engineering games general explained why multithreading games is hard because I was offended by my own ignorance of what he was saying
>fuck with the windows api, realize native development on windows sucks ass
>fuck around with a graphical toolkit, qt
>qt’s unusual memory model helps me understand some more shit
>fuck around with various libraries and do stuff like testing embedded lua, learn even more shit about memory from a couple of very rare issues that I ran into
>find really good book on opengl, decide to learn graphics programming
>all the examples have a lot of boilerplate, dealing with it helps me learn to abstract
>at some point while doing this, learn template metaprogramming and start learning some functional programming concepts
That’s what I did, and I’m comfortable reading posts in the intermediate/advanced section of the ISOcpp website, so I guess I’m intermediate/advanced?
Doesn’t feel like it though.

My recommendation is just do what I did but without the parts about being retarded.
Don’t learn C before C++, it’s a trap.
C programmers who treat C++ like a bloated extension of C are wrong, it’s bloated as fuck but treating it like C makes you write horrible code.
You should still learn C obviously.
Avoid any C++ resources from before 2011 like the plague, c++11 was the start of “Modern C++”

Does anyone have language agnostic resources on learning how to get good at parallelism and functional programming?

Cuck mentality. Only men who desire giving oral sex have premature ejaculation or mental illness. It makes man subservient to the woman.

Attached: 1543237798474.jpg (250x241, 8K)

>never been in a happy sexual relationship

Also, reading the OP again you’re literally in the exact same fucking position as where I was when I wanted to get into programming for fun, as in and I mean literally, blueJ and all.
>IDEs
Most of the programmers Jow Forums will tell you IDEs are bloated as fuck and that you don’t actually need them.
They’re right about the first, wrong about the second.
You don’t need 99% of their features, but that last 1% are just such huge QoL changes that it’s just a pain in the ass to do without them.
For C++ on windows use visual studio. If you want Microsoft’s compiler you’re going to have to install it anyways.
QtCreator and the one by the guys who make Eclipse are also good for C++
For java, even though it’s crap and I stopped caring about it years ago, eclipse is pretty good.

Learn the ecosystem too, don’t think just learning a language is enough.
Get experience with version control like git.

For learning shit/debugging, avoid stackoverflow, it sucks dick.
You’re better off asking Jow Forums for learning resources, or using resources recommended by the people who manage what you’re using (the really good book on opengl, for example, it was recommended by the khronos group).

Distracted by that ass
Mmmmmmbraaaaaapppppp

I love you

I love you too, user.

spot the incel

If being overwhelmed is your main problem then I want you to do something that half og Jow Forums will crucify me for telling you to do:

Install VICE, boot up their C64 emulator and learn some BASIC. It's fucking useless today but fucking around with it is how almost every gen x programmer learned their trade. It will take a good 8 hours at most for it to click in your head that this shit isn't hard. Instead of learning the definition of a FOR loop is, youll realize that's what you need for this dumb program you made in VICE before you even know what a loop is. It all just clicks.

Even better is that its probably going to take half that time for you because i was hammered.

Shooped, sorry m8

Attached: 7390515_swim20-39e9cf4.jpg (740x1114, 77K)

Le funny meme xD

>stop liking what I dont like
Also, 1/10

I'd fuck that without her consent 100% fucking love nice asses on white women
>he doesn't lick a girl to the point where she acts like she's having an exorcism
>he doesn't pound her pussy after licking it raw
not gonna make it mr frogposter

Same user, also forgot to warn that this is ONLY to get you into that problem solvong mindset programming needs because other than basic things like what variables and loops are, knowing BASIC will help jack shit due to how primitive it is.

Inshallah brother

you can take it pretty far as well, really makes you think

Attached: 1544428829944.jpg (794x1200, 237K)

Learn python then jump to visual C#.
If all else fails, take an object oriented programming course at your local college

Attached: e3b7bf54-050e-4f1d-bee4-9357d97eda9b.gif (300x168, 285K)

>the Chad stride

The reason Jow Forums is against IDEs is because they're all a bunch of NEETs and have never had to write code for or with someone else.

What does this post mean, programming wise?

noooooooooooo!
you ruined the brapper!

Make up a problem you want to solve.
Then try to solve it.
I spent most of my education on making a diode blink, keep making it more and more advanced.

If you are willing to learn programming, learn the build environment.
Take something like C++. Learning the language and where to find documentation is necessary, but ultimately not that difficult.
Learning how to compile the program, how to link libraries, how to include headers etc, that is really important.
I always loathe the people who claim there is more than one way to do things. There is a right way, so learn that and you will be better for it.
Once you know how to write your own make files, you can learn how to write your own cmake files. Then you can use any IDE as you know what the error messages mean. Before that, I see people fail at the most basic things.
You have to know what the IDE is helping you to do in order to have it be a help.
If it is just magic you would be lost without, you will be lost as soon as it doesn't work.

Much better looking

Big asses are for black apes

except I am a NEET who has never had to write code for or with anyone else and I like them because they help massively with actual projects like writing a renderer

My gut feeling is that Jow Forums, for the most part, doesn't actually have any experience doing big things.
I base this on the fact that most faggots recommend learning programming by practicing code challenges and whiteboard problems, which only teach the theory, not the practical application of it.

I wonder if that's why so many people complain about failing interviews, especially the whiteboard part.
They're obviously treating them like academic exercises, but the company and the interviewer are probably looking for managerial and communication skills on top of problem solving.
that'd also explain how so many bad normalfag tier programmers get jobs for seemingly no reason

I also tend to not use an IDE when I work on multiple projects at the same time.
There is always something that bothers me and that is a distraction.
Like if you implement a way to enforce a coding style on a project, why would you not implement a way to automatically detect the coding style already used?
I hate to go over the document to make sure it didn't insert tabs or spaces wrong because the IDE developers are incompetent.
In those cases, it is easier to just open the files I need with my editor, have it switch between tabs/spaces with a single click and then edit the function I need.
Obviously I use it on larger projects where I can't just do quick edits.

>you'll have to learn how to google for solutions to the problems that you can't figure out on your own
Is this really a good way to learn coding? I did it during my machine engineering studies and I feel like I've learned nothing that way. It's always "yeah dude of course, why didn't I think of that", apply solution to theoretical problem and never touch it again.

>How do I learn how to put my new knowledge to use?
advent of code is happening and is a good way to practise, /aocg/ is the general thread on Jow Forums

It depends what you mean.
Looking up documentation is a good thing and with time, you learn it.
Getting answers off SO as an "oh, thanks" is not always a good idea if you don't learn from it.
The biggest takeaway from SO is that the concept of a minimal working example.
If you can replicate your problem in a MWE, it is much easier to get help, debug and figure out what is wrong.
If you hand over a 16 threaded image processing function that segfaults on some input images to your boss, he can't possibly know how to help you.
Isolating what part is causing the crash, you can often figure it out without asking anyone for help.

That's not "finding" them though. You're just doing a bunch of additions.

~ cat printOdds.sh
#!/bin/bash
for ((i=0; i

Must be a diference between ME and programming I guess. ME isn't very fulfilling to me, mostly because there aren't that many ways to do things differerently, there are only that many ways to transfer torque and their corresponding formulas, and the only creative way to express oneself is in making it as cheap as possible to make. The term "kurvítko" is very real, don't buy used "new" cars.

Nah you're a fucking faggot m8
>inb4 nigger

user@localhost $ cat fizzBuzz.swift
import Foundation

func fizzBuzz(_ input: Int) -> String {
var result = ""
if input % 3 == 0 { result += "Fizz" }
if input % 5 == 0 { result += "Buzz" }
if result.isEmpty { result = String(input) }
return result
}

let output = (1...100).map { fizzBuzz($0) }.joined(separator: "\n")

print(output)
user@localhost $ swift fizzBuzz.swift
Fizz
Buzz
Fizz
Fizz
Buzz
Fizz
FizzBuzz
Fizz
Buzz
Fizz
Fizz
Buzz
Fizz
FizzBuzz

This would make a lot of sense. It makes me glad i have some experience not being a neet. People here shoukd at least get a small job to develop the people skills or become an intern. Its funny because programming is considered the last bastion for neets job-wise

>but I feel like there's so much to learn and the more books I read, the more I browse, the more I feel like there's more shit that I DONT know

That's actually a sign that you're gitting gud. You don't need to know EVERYTHING since your brain isn't a fucking super computer. Just start working on something and learn even more.

In a word, yes.

Attached: Degrasse Tyson Rape Victims.jpg (636x382, 55K)

Attached: 1337742050042.jpg (252x191, 6K)

BLACKED whores

This

>if [[ $((i%2)) -ne 0 ]]
Why not
if (( i%2 != 0 ))
?

Jow Forums, at least for me, was actually really fucking useful in helping me develop people skills.
This place killed my sense of shame and self-worth, and thanks to that I was able to actually practice socializing, without getting massively embarrassed about fucking up.
It took years and a fuckton of effort, but eventually I got the hang of it.
If Jow Forums's anonymous nature and culture didn't fuck with my psyche I'd probably have killed myself by now.

though learning how to into base social skills helps with a lot of things it makes problems with women much worse
they actually talk to you of their own free will and not about using you for something like tutoring or tech help
it's confusing as all fuck and i still don't know how to deal with it

x = 0
while (x < 100)
x += 1
if (x % 2 != 0)
print(x)

psuedocode best lang

for i in range(0, 100):
if i%2 != 0:
print(i)
else:
print(" ")

python is top tier lang

Make stuff
Web/mobile apps are what's popular and easy to get into, you can display and show your work to anyone in the entire world.

IDEs aren't that useful anyway, all you need is VSCode/Atom and you'll be fine.

maybe find a project that is interesting and join in.

That is long. Here is my take on it. There are two things to programming:
Theory, and
Practice
Theory is computer science, you'll want to have a good grasp on algorithms, so you can make the best use of the resources available to you, and not go about solving known problems in a nigger way resulting in you being the laughing stock here.
Practice is actual programming, you choose a language, learn it, and apply what you learned in theory to problems that arise.
So if theory is academia and practice is actual programming, what is the middle ground? That'd be `engineering' in its general sense, though in our field the term is somewhat niggerified, what with all the `back/front end engineers' and what not. To get a good sense for quality engineering SICP is a must, it exposes you to the major themes in computer science and engineering without leaning too much to one side or the other. SICP is your road map, decide what field you like the best after completing it.

I'd still have non conceptual sex with her.

[x for x in range(100) if bool(x%2)]

>not using a generator
Python is top tier, too bad you don't know it

(1..100).step(2).to_a

Attached: kizuna smug.png (830x646, 729K)

You'd know all about the cuck mentality. As proven in your post.

Addiction is a motherfucker isn't it?

Attached: thinkpepe.png (600x578, 296K)

Attached: 7WvHLkN.jpg (500x333, 55K)

imagine the odor

>shitty edits

Attached: 3191292.jpg (794x1200, 115K)

dreams shattered

so inefficient
you're spending so many pseudo instructions on pointless iterations when you could just add 2 each time and skip the if statement and starting from an already odd number (1).

Just fucking do it nigger. If you start from the shittest possible resource now, you're going to be 10 times better off in a month than if you were to wonder about how to start for another month.

Pretty much this.
/thread.

bash is a shit lang that's why

Awesome.

Not awesome, but acceptable.

If you want to web dev or make apps start with the 'internetting is hard' course. Learn basic web stuff, then learn a JS framework and Linux (servers, ssh, hosting). Then add some kind of react-native FOTM tech that'll let you make native droid / ios apps.

If you want to go deep start with CS50 and pick up emacs. Once you grok it, try spacemacs or doommacs to get an idea of what a refined emacs config feels like. Read deep work if you want to really get into the science part of it all. Use emacs with org to consume textbooks and studies. There are major modes for emacs to help you read epubs or pdfs. Org mode is perfect for picking up new languages. You can include language snippets in your notes and execute the snippets with Ctrl-c-c. Super easy and it's plain text and not going anywhere. There's a reason everyone worth their salt in the field uses emacs. What do you think Linus programs The Kernel in?

Libgen.io will be your source for any textbooks or studies you need. Epub is preferred especially if you have an ereader or tablet.

I think for any path CS50 is a perfect starting point, and it'll fill in the gaps so you'll know what to study next.

You will learn more by doing than by reading

int main(){
for (unsigned char i = 1; i < 100; i += 2){
printf("%d\n",i);
}
return EXIT_SUCCESS;}

>nobody posted it yet
>254 bytes

Attached: is-even.png (624x564, 27K)

>posts another edit

Attached: flatter.jpg (794x1200, 399K)

>posts another another edit

Attached: flatter.jpg (794x1200, 398K)

Jow Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering

Go from top to bottom

filter odd [0..100]

Attached: AbsolutelyDisgusting.jpg (600x450, 71K)

What specifically don’t you know? If you understand the abstraction of language, then you’ve got a few options.
1) start digging down. Understand how Int, Float, strings, chars are stored byte-wise. Understand how the computer actually processes language. Build a baby compiler and look up basic computer architecture.
2) Learn more fundamental CS stuff not necessarily programming related. How does networking in general work? How do Linux/OSs Work? How does parallel processing work? Learn CLI tools that are fundamental.
3) climb up. The beauty of abstraction is you don’t need to understand the levels below to be productive. Learn technologies built with the languages you know towards the direction you want to go. Weka for intro to data mining, Learn MemeJS frameworks, C# with respect to Unity and game development, GTK/QT for C/C++ GUI Development. Twitter API for a spambot, or build a web crawler. No one writes everything from scratch - API’s and libraries exist to be used.
4) Ascend programming and become Math. Prove the algorithms you know mathematically. Discover and learn harder algorithms and prove them as well. If you like Cryptography or perhaps AI Algorithms, you’ll need to do this. Learn about those Finite Fields and Elliptic Curves.

list(range(1,100,2))

ftfy, brainlet

Samefagging. But don’t be focused on the IDE in the beginning. Learn CLI tools and a text editor of choice (VIM/Emacs/Atom/Sublime/VScode) to get a good workflow not dependent on the IDE. Once you get that, build large projects in an IDE.

being black is nothing to be ashamed of
your terrible taste in asses is purely genetic

imagine the smelle

"find"

Step one should not be build a compiler that is more so step four or five, rather, he should read a book that teaches him what computing even is in the first place, that teaches him what the 'byte' in 'byte-wise' even is in the first place. Bottom-up is the best approach, preferably starting with C and learning basic programming concepts alongside deeper computer concepts like binary (Boolean) and logic gates (logical operations) and memory management and other system concepts. This is the ideal way, but you must be interested otherwise it will be a drag rather than a treat.

From an evolutionary perspective, men who cum faster are more likely to have children. Women are meant to take ages to cum because because it keeps them into the sex long enough for the guy to cum.

I'm sorry. I can't do this. It's too difficult.

Gotta love Jon Schlinkert.

Attached: is-odd.png (1009x3612, 467K)

jeez. I had to check what board I was on. didn't expect so many little faggots to reply to your post.

t. samefag

eat shit, beta orbiter

[1,3..100]