Are ebook readers a meme?

Are ebook readers a meme?

Attached: kindle.jpg (500x500, 39K)

Yes. They're 80+ burgerbux for a black and white 480p screen, and usually get marketed to people that think reading books while drinking wine is classy, but think getting an ereader to rebuy all your books again on some sort of subscription network will raise their social status in their book club. That or they're neckbeards that can't afford phones to pirate LNs.

Now that's a nice headcanon you have there.
I own an e-reader (a Kindle) and barely ever paid for any book at all. Just google "book name download" and you'll get it for free.
So I probably saved money by now after three years of owning it and there's a lot less clutter lying around...

Attached: 1542906409640.jpg (240x219, 16K)

Do you read things? Then no.

eInk is the only way to read scanlations the way the Original Artist Intended, on a tiny low-contrast piece of something that resembles paper

An 8-inch screeen on a device less than 200 grams is pretty neato

Naw. eInk has zero eye strain and the devices are small and light. They also last forever so you're not in some stupid upgrade cycle. Had one for 4 years and only replaced it due to water damage. Decent models are cheap now and have been for 2-3 years now so seems like a no brainer if you read

They're better for your eyes and the battery life is really good.

If you read daily, yeah, get that shit.
If not there's no reason you can't just use your phone.

Find a used one or a good chinese knockoff for like $30

I don't know, I've been on the fence about getting an android chink reader like the likebook mars, I'd load it with a bunch of books I have and I'd install tachiyomi for a constant stream of free manga

if you think they're expensive then you don't have time for reading and should work more

they're nice

Listen to me user.
Chad reader is IPAD PRO.
Beautiful fonts, resolution.

Attached: reading.jpg (499x500, 51K)

enjoy your eyestrain macfag

If you read a lot of paperbacks they're awesome, paperbacks take up a lot of physical space and you rarely read them more than once. Got a Kobo and it has pocket so I can sync web articles to it to read on the shitter etc, battery lasts for weeks and backlit. Basically if you're not a retard get one.

Not if you pirate everything or otherwise make sure you have a DRM-free copy of everything.

If you usually have some book going on and pirate books and/or your local library has digital library that works on your device it's one of the best things you can buy. Got my first this year and it's just so much better than reading from phone or computer.

E-ink is the tits for reading long ass stuff like books or reading comics/muh mangas. Zero eye strain, its really ~90% like paper. Not that "new book smell" tho.

You dont buy books, you just download them, duh

no OP your life is

I can't wait for eink patent to expire so I can have strain free displays everywhere.

They are designed to consume less battery, the meme starts with the limitation sellers put on consumers on what books they can upload to their machines, if the cost 20$ and you read a lot then consider buying one.

>implying in so many lvls ayayay

This thread again? Cool. Is there any decent reader with
>~10" screen
>support for pirated books
>somewhat decent pdf / manga support
Pdf/manga are not going to be the main use case, I already have an ipad and oh boy does it give me eye cancer after 30 minutes.
Bonus points for waterproof, I feel like reading in the bathtub would feel good.

They are good for reading plaintext. I'd prefer my TRS-T2 over a real book because it's lighter and more handy.
BUT if you want to read pdfs with graphics then get a tablet.

how is it that an iPad gives you eye cancer but a computer monitor is fine? I've never understood this argument since I stare at a computer screen for like 16 hours a day.

No they are actually really nice for one thing and one thing only. Reading books. Very clear text, no eyestrain from backlights, light weight, batery lasts for a week even when reading every night. Would recommend.

Kindle DX master race reporting in. They’re especially kino for analyzing chess problems

Attached: DB7FBE07-B2C1-4FD6-A5DE-DE2592A9AC11.jpg (640x669, 179K)

don't know either but its just the case

I use a paperwhite 2 and never once had problems with pirated books. I use calibre to convert and send to device.

>implying people who buy ebooks care about looking classy
>implying they care about the 480p for fucking text
>implying people buy books
>implying people actually join book clubs
>implying reading on a phone is better than reading on an ebook

But I need muh color inserts.

Can any e-readers read webp images?
I've been downscaling and converting manga to save space and read on my tablet, but I was hoping they could be used on a proper e-reader if I ever get one.
Also can any of the non-Android ones use apps? I specifically want one that can run Anki or Ankidroid.
I know I sound stupid but I'm trying to think here.

Sucks that all e-readers bigger than 6 inches are so fucking expensive.

Making things more comfortable won't matter if you just don't like reading. Scanned PDFs on regular monitors is fine for graduate students and teachers that read all day everyday. Why isn't it good enough for you?

Attached: sad child.jpg (541x526, 84K)

Ebook readers are great, if you like to read ebooks.

E-ink displays are pretty comfy and better for your eyes, than normal LED displays.

But you need to buy one without DRM and which supports .pdf, so you can read all your stuff from sci-hub and library genesis.

>he doesn't use Paperwhite + LibGen + Calibre for infinite knowledge

Attached: mishima shiggy.jpg (669x893, 48K)

What are the must read Mishima books?

This is not me , I know the case. First, it has shit screen - I got several ultrasharp screens for my pc and they're way better than my super-amoled phone or retina-whatever ipad. Eyestrain-wise that is. Second, I rarely stare at my screen for longer than 30 minuts when working. I move my eves from one screen to another, take breaks, look trough the window or anywhere else when I'm thinking about something.
It's the opposite when reading a book, I usually read one book in 2 or 3 reading sessions that take several hours. I'm fine with paper, but I just can't stare on black-on-white text on digital display for hours.

>6"

Looks nice, why the keyboard tho? I don't even plan on connecting mine to the internet. A bit of wasted space.

the Sea of Fertility tetralogy for sure

Onyx Boox and Boyue

If the 8" likebook user is here, can you post some webms of how different manga look like on it?

Not the webm guy but they look good

Attached: 20181128_160811.jpg (1836x1836, 1.22M)

Closeup with backlight

Attached: 20181128_043536.jpg (1836x1836, 1.18M)

Does anyone here have PocketBook 740 and can upload screencap of how manga looks on it? I'\ve been eyeing this particular e-reader for a while now, but still haven't picked it up. Make me bite the bullet finally, Jow Forums. Or not. Show me how manga looks on PocketBook 740.

I hope not I just got the new one on the way with the headphone bundle

Or you move a lot
Jesus fucking Christ books are heavy

its a meme because you wont even use it
you dont read books
the technology is sound and useful
the products they sell are overpriced and break easily
fucking weebs should kill themselves, dont every post again

I've had a couple kindles, and I read a lot so it was worth it for me to be able to have a huge library of books on a small device like that. IMO the paperwhite is pretty good, but they are over priced, and they are actually a little bit too small as well. They should be priced around $60-70 for a 7.5 inch screen and then they would be perfect.

Also, most people I know who actually read a lot, and don't just buy books for decoration, own and use e-readers given that they are extremely convenient even if they are a botnet.

cant fucking wait for mine to arrive, god damn. it's finally saying it arrived at destination country, really hope i can get it before the end of the year, but knowing my shit customs and postal service i probably won't

what country?

What's a good but affordable ereader for about £100 ($130)?
What is free4G and is WiFi worth it even though I already have a load of pdfs that I'll sync manually - I'm correct in assuming I can do this right?

Do you plan on reading PDFs that include high-res images, tables and formatting?

>months of battery life
>weigh next to nothing
>easily readable in direct sunlight and in the dark
>holds hundreds of books
>less than $100 new, less than $40 used like new
>highlight and easily search/save
>fast dictionary use and reference/footnote access
absolutely not a meme. probably most useful consumer electronic device I bought in a decade

Probably not, just basic bitch books in plain text

No, it's really useful if you read a lot of book.

which do you have? Hate the touchscreen meme but dislike the old low res screen too.

Kindle 4 from 2011
It was right before they introduced the touch screen ones so I'm not really sure how those are,
I really like the design of the Kindle Oasis but it's $319. Part of what makes the kindle great for me is that I couldn't give a shit if I lost it or it breaks.

aren't touch screens stupid on these things though? The glass would make glare a bitch and using the thing outside nigh on impossible surely?

There is one good reader meant for engineers&doctors. It can do pdf's & co perfectly fine and is actually A4 format. The only holdup is it costs ~$1k so not for poorfags

>not for poorfags
or anyone that values their money

brazil
everything takes eons to get here, especially from the distant chinalands
i've had chinapackages arrive after 5 months during the holiday season

Attached: me.jpg (174x238, 21K)

This. Text is the easiest media in the world to pirate, and an ereader is the most comfortable device to consume it on. Plus, it led me to giving away 90% of my books and actually reading more books instead of stockpiling them on shelves as some display of intelligence.

But I do, user. Add b-ok to that list, too.

>I really like the design of the Kindle Oasis but it's $319
it's such a kick in the nuts. if the oasis was properly priced i'd have gotten one instead of a likebook mars.
>very light
>gorgeous
>glass screen
>super practical design for 1h reading
>4x as expensive as a paperwhite here

Attached: file.png (960x481, 251K)

What's the travel route? Getting shit to portugal is not even a month and direct distance is farther.

apparently they fly a plane to the fucking moon a few times and then brazil
i don't know, i think it's probably customs being understaffed or something, so they don't even have time to update arriving packages. brazil is pretty hecking huge and i think there's only one customs center that handles all of it.

Attached: file.png (281x446, 25K)

to me the problem with touch is it sounds annoying to hold
I hold my kindle 1 handed all the time and I do it by keeping 1 finger on the screen and one on the bezel

It was for using WiFi. Amazon doesn’t make this model anymore, unfortunately.

No, Ebooks Readers don't strain eyes like regular CRT, LCD, LED screens.

>analyzing chess problems
I know a few people who still have their DX's for that, Go, and Shogi. also its good for wiring diagrams.

I wish they still made on that size, old people I know could actually read their books with the text set to max, instead of the 6 words a screen on the regular ones.

LCD with True Tone also don't strain the eye, at least in my experience.

Does one need an Amazon account to operate a Kindle?

nope. turn off the wifi.

Personally I think that depends on you. While I do personally really enjoy e-ink displays doe legitimate book reading, I often find myself just reaching for the iPad with the Kindle app installed just because of how much more it can do. I have a lot of books that are more of reference material with photos that you want to refer back to (Liquid Intelligence by Dave Arnold, a very popular cocktail book, being a great example), and the non-color screen just really fucks up the experience. Add to that the fact that I'm a comic book nerd just as much as I am a reader, and the ability to also have the Comixology app installed just makes the tablet infinitely more useful, among the other apps and sites that it can access.

For me, I could easily part with my Kindle in favor of just having the Kindle app on an iPad, but I don't necessarily focus on legitimate novels. Half of my collection is cookbooks or cocktail books where it's much less about the text and an e-reader just isn't suited for that.

Sorry, that second sentence should have read "really enjoy e-ink displays FOR legitimate book reading", hands shifted over somehow.

Maybe if you were the kind of retard that buys books from the tech monopolists, but its way easier to "pirate" books from the worldwide online library and read them on a phone

I got a Letto Frontlight.
Very happy with it. My one problem would be with the adoption of the idea itself. There's very poor tooling for taking different resources and converting it to e-book formats. At least as far as I have found. There's a few long articles on websites I'd like to get to but the few converters I tried all fail in one way or another.

They're very comfortable to read with though. Easier one hand manipulation. And far better than phones or tablets because of the light.

Due to the slow update rate (especially for non-epub) i would not expect reading something like comics to be nice. No color hurts aswell of course.
I don't know what you're on about. I doubt book clubs would care much for e-readers. Either they're the opposite of what you describe them as and would not care about how you've read the book because it's the content that matters.
Or they're exactly what you describe and would never be seen with the inauthentic book.
>480p
I don't understand why you'd bother specifying progressive here. And why resolution when it's DPI that matters.

e-ink devices typically don't use glass on the front of the display. it's part of what makes them so lightweight.
(The kobo forma went a step further and uses a new design that eliminates the glass backing behind the display as well, making it even lighter.)

Sony's A4 is down to $700 these days

> There's very poor tooling for taking different resources and converting it to e-book formats
The best shit I ever found was the 1.8.2.1 version of GrabMyBooks for legacy Firefox (the new version is some Java bullshit that never works right)

Not if you pirate. Alternatively, if you are gonna buy the book anyways, and the book is super heavy (like the Norton Anthology of English Literature kind of heavy) then it's still probably worth the investment.

No, the whole point of these screens is how natural they look.
you can read it in the full sun like it were paper.

You have to pay customs beforehand. Not every service provider offers this. If you do it'll arrive faster than fucking sedex.

T. Bought a Dell monitor from the US that arrived in 8 days.

Any recommendations?
Norwegian Wood, Kafka on the Shore
nou

>buy onyx boox e-reader
>load all my PDFs
>e-reader handle PDF very well
>text is black, but is annoyingly background is gray
>turns out the PDF background is not really white
>tfw fell for e-reader meme

i got my kobo aura HD from a second-hand shop for $3, it's fucking amazing and i use it almost every day - get my books from libgen and DRM ripped ebooks from my university journals access

>reading on a phone
that's a yikes from me, son

Change the color of the pages in the pdf file?

Not possible, because the PDF doesn't allow that, not like epub.

i asked for DHL but chinkfriend said that they didn't ship to Brazil via courier
i asked why, he said "very expensive, also battery issue"
damn jewish chinkman

>the pdf doesnt allow that

Attached: laughing girl from star trek.jpg (327x324, 15K)

You should've shipped it to a US mailbox and then shipped it to Brazil from there. There's companies that offer that service plus the shipment home and handling taxes.

>Norwegian Wood, Kafka on the Shore
Sorry for this, I thought Murakami.

>480p for text
?

>I want a ebook to read manga

Attached: 47cb612a23c3d811988f5ea7ca367d94--so-funny-funny-stuff.jpg (402x326, 22K)

>he can't edit a pdf

Attached: 1531206748948.jpg (302x402, 13K)

The PDF pages are just scanned images.

Sadly there are a higher probability that the item is taxed. Normal shipping takes 40-45 days to arrive at customs(had a note motherboard just arrived, after 45 days) but the chances to get fucked in the ass is lower. DHL is sure to be taxed, no matter the item price etc, and to dispute the taxes is not worth the time.

I had things arrived at Curitiba in less than a month and other in more than 2/3. Its a gamble with the shipping that the seller use. And using DHL or other stuff, shit arrive in +-25 days at your local Correios so you can pay the +-R$180 tax, that may take 3 months to dispute.

T. Long time Ali buyer that tried multiple shipping methods

>tfw I want the frontlight but don't want to fall for touchscreen meme

Paint them manually with Paint.

oh okay, in that case you're right. sorry

ebook readers cant get taxed anão-sama

Attached: 1520695842367.gif (500x500, 599K)