/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: 1502044643601.jpg (2200x1000, 361K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-jdslabs-odac-rev-b-compared-to-fiio-e10k.2068/
amazon.com/Bluetooth-SMSL-Sanskrit-Converter-Decoding/dp/B077XC64WF/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1544434258&sr=8-4&keywords=smsl sanskrit panda
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

AHEM

BUY STAX

Attached: Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo suru - Vol.1 Ch.3 - 18.png (921x1300, 242K)

Attached: 1544066792210.jpg (1280x720, 132K)

STAXSTAXSTAXSTAXSTAXSNAPSNAPSNAPSNAPSNAPSNAPCHINKCHINKCHINKCHINKCHINKCHINKMUDMUDMUDMUDMUDINCELINCELINCELINCELINCELINCELBEYERBEYERBEYERBEYERBEYERBEYERCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK

There you have it folks, thread is over you can go home now

Attached: 1479943228113.jpg (540x304, 45K)

looks like we are the only ones here

Attached: feet.jpg (3996x2250, 864K)

Is that a boy or a girl

>meet a cute guy on my favorite anime forum
>we start e-dating
>ask to see his manga collection
>"my mom isn't home today so that's ok!"
>enter his room and notice HD600 lying on the desk
>the headband is broken in the middle and has tape all over
>there's also a cheap chinese amplifier
>the monitor has a loli in underwear for wallpaper
>the music player is loaded with Love Live! OST
>say that I'm hungry
>he invites me to the kitchen
>try to open the fridge
>he stops my arm
>"that one is for my family, I eat healthy food!"
>leads me to a fridge half the normal size
>I open it, there's a bowl of moldy, overcooked rice and blocks of onions protein
>the freezer only has a plastic anime figurine covered with what appears to be viscous white liquid
>"uhm haha, do you want a tribute too? just give me a picture of yourself!"
>slowly back off out of the house while he stares expectatingly
>lose all interest in men
>join a local feminist organization
>spend my remaining 15 years of life bashing patriarchy online

>meet a polite guy at my embroidery club
>we start going out
>he invites me over
>scolds me for not taking my shoes off
>then scolds me again for not placing them neatly against the wall
>his room gives off a barren ikea vibe
>there's a nazi flag on the wall
>notice pristine DT1990 hanging neatly on a stand
>the wallpaper on his monitor is a photo of WWII era nazi soldiers
>the music player has Das Rheingold on stop
>I'm hungry
>open the fridge, it's full of bottled milk
>there's nothing else
>open the freezer
>there's a copy of Mein Kampf in a plastic bag
>"you must take a 23andme test before we can proceed further with this relationship"
>"I also must perform a hymen integrity check"
>while I stand there paralyzed, he starts browsing /sig/ on his phone
>I take the chance and run away
>lose all hope in modern society and capitalism
>move to Eastern Europe, enter an Orthodox monastery and take the vow of silence

i fucking love her

Does it matter?

>meet a quiet and mysterious guy foraging through garbage at night
>enchanted by his aura, initiate the conversation and force him into a relationship
>finally get to visit his apartment
>there are no lightbulbs
>and no running water
>the only two pieces of furniture are his desk and a bookshelf full of dusty literature
>there's no chair
>"it helps my posture"
>there's no bed either
>"I don't need to sleep"
>notice SR-L300 in the ashtray
>there's no wallpaper on the monitor, it's pitch black
>the music player has a nameless 192khz white noise file on repeat
>look around the room
>one corner is full of empty bottles
>another has a dozen of broken SR-L300
>I decide to grab a bite
>the fridge has nothing but jars of pickles and 40% alcohol
>the freezer is stuffed with existential void
>"wanna read Schopenhauer together?"
>sprint outside while screaming in despair
>realize that life is meaningless
>get stax
>become alcoholic
>we marry three months later

based

>get stax
>become alcoholic
this but endless chinkfi purchases because the ride is over once you've reached end game and but you're still hunting for that stax rush

Still waiting.

Attached: 20181202_113826.jpg (5312x2988, 3.5M)

for what?

dx3pro

*CLICK*

They sound like shit

Even $4000 SR-009 was rated lower in blind tests than a $200 K701
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441

Stax are objectively garbage

Attached: 15282831694830.jpg (745x480, 42K)

I'm about to drop 150 on ol dac. But I'm really thinking I should go Topping D30. I only want the ol for how it looks really. Help me make the right decision

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-jdslabs-odac-rev-b-compared-to-fiio-e10k.2068/

just get the fiio e10k if you dont have an amp already

>i want to carve my favorite anime character on my DAC
OL
>*click*
Topping

I've got an amp already

jds makes high quality products, topping *clicks* don't listen to amir shills

amazon.com/Bluetooth-SMSL-Sanskrit-Converter-Decoding/dp/B077XC64WF/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1544434258&sr=8-4&keywords=smsl sanskrit panda

*click* *click* *click*

just get the schiit magni and modi :).

Thanks but I won't make that mistake again

Get the OL DAC for looks and free engraving. The topping might technically measure slightly better but the OL DAC also measures so well that the difference is inaudible.

what is the best t50rp mod?

Buying headphones that dont need to be modded to sound good.

Well here it is an odd combo of beyerdynamic and electrostatic technology

Attached: PlvmlV5_d.jpg (640x372, 20K)

Just got my 1990 pro. Not sure if I can handle this clamping force bros

dont worry, your headlet will get used to it

What compensation and how in the fuck there's not Beyer treble rape?

it’s clamping your head down into a hitler youth haircut

They stretch out bro

>flatbed

Just had a weird thing go on with my AMP/DAC, left it running for about 7-8 years because i forgot it.

Changed headphones and plugged in a different pair, suddenly no sound coming out of the headphones, turned it off and on again and suddenly works.

Odd.

Attached: Muscular Jesus.jpg (354x404, 27K)

The fuck, *hours not years.

>left it running for about 7-8 years

Attached: 1458415881191.png (415x492, 22K)

heh, based, can't sleep

It has a completely open front volume since it's on ear and it will probably get a more linear response after a pair of over ear pads are used

Attached: 6FH9k4L_d.jpg (640x372, 17K)

clicking only affects DX3.
both are good options and perform equally well. just get the ol

>left it running for about 7-8 years because i forgot it.
My previous dac/amp was running for months, probably over year without being turned off with no problems. I have ups so my shit never goes off completely and I never bothered to turn it off because why anyway.
The Click has autosuspend so it shuts itself off which is nice I guess.

How do we stop Schiit?

dont buy their products

ask for repair help for your schiit but then email them a picture of literal shit. get a return label but send them a box of shit instead (so they are literally paying to have shit delivered), etc etc

Invest in Topping. Once they take over the western market it will be the end of shiit

Post your atom chan/setups Bros. Here's mine

Attached: 20181207_160727.jpg (4032x3024, 3.54M)

Anyone use the "gain" on the Amp/Dac?

Attached: 1 g4zsvHxslR-946bI_twV-w.jpg (400x388, 27K)

Yeah it happens

Beautifull user.
Ill own one next year

Is it true that Bower and Wilkins PX sounds good? Strange for a fashion headphone.

I would buy it if rca outputs could be activated with switch instead of jack unplug. They fucked up in exact same place as with o2 but I guess they have to sell their $350 element somehow.

I'm looking for some new portable cans I can throw around. Found some basically new v-moda m100's on an exchange for $150. I like slightly warm/dark sounds and have a tiny ass head, are they any good y/n

>Budget
350 USD
>Location
Murica
>Source
Cell phone
>Type of headphone
Over the ear
>Open or closed
Closed, I have long public transit commute and open office (God what a fucking stupid design "philosophy")
>Comfort level
At least comfortable enough to wear for 4 hours straight
>Sound signature
Le neutral meme I guess, I don't really know
>Past headphones
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros, they were okay, ended up lost in a stressful move.
Tin Audio T2, really like the sound signature on these since it let's me cruise from string quartets to modern pop garbage and both sound nice. Wife washed these so I have an opportunity to get some new headphones.

>atom and ol arriving tomorrow
my beautiful Filth engraving is gonna be here boys, i’m hyped

Ath msr7

stax

try the DT770's with an amp if don't mind looking like a douchebag

Objectively garabge

Are the Sennheiser 559 shit or they're good enough for some casual vidya and music at night to not bother flatmates?

Attached: 9.jpg (500x375, 100K)

friendly reminder to avoid audio-gd

Attached: 1UyxIFo.jpg (3840x2160, 778K)

they suck, get stax

thanks but im poor are they good enough for my tasks please no meme

Yeah. Sound leakage shouldn't be an issue unless your mates are sleeping right next to you.

Hey guys what's your opinion on the grado sr80e? My budget is around 100 USD, source is cellphone/chinkpad, full, open, comfy enough for a few hours, I listen to a lot of atmospheric black metal (I've heard people recommend the sr80e for such, and in looking into it they seem like good headphones in general), I've been using shitty $10 ear buds pretty much all my life, occasionally buying $20/$30 ones and I had the philips SHB8750NC/27 for a couple of years until they broke. Basically I'm just looking for relatively cheap headphones with decent sound quality that are good enough for atmo bm (some of it is lofi, don't think I mean atmospheric music with god tier production), or in other words to hear the music in a manner more true to the artists' intention than $10 headphones can provide. I would be using these at my house only, so portability and leaking aren't an issue. I can maybe go a bit up in my budget but I'd rather not go above 150 or so. Thanks

Attached: 31A7C440-DB47-47D9-BC8B-152372C00A96.jpg (1000x1000, 101K)

>distortion
>nobass
buy hd681. Chink-made, but still better buuld than grados.

This shit is like thousands of dollars, is there some chunk brand version or something? Got a link to spoonfeed a Retard

Thank you user, as you could probably tell I'm very retarded about sound quality.

the point is, if you think you're gonna happy with grados, just buy it and have fun.

but if you really into sounds than feel, go buy hd681 and save remaining money for upgrade to beyer or senn.

stax already is the chink version

I'm not particularly attached to the sr80e, I've just heard decent things about them and figured it's a happy medium between the cheap shit I usually buy and the expensive shit I'd rather not. But given that there are better options for cheaper I'd definitely take that, I enjoy saving money. What did you mean by "if you're really into sound over feel?". I want headphones that have good sound to help aid in creating a feel if you know what I mean, and I don't only listen to atmo bm. Thank you btw

anyone here bother using alsa? Is it worth the time to move away from pulse?

what i mean is first impression of looks, how people talk about that headphones, subjective biases and how it feels while wearing them and stuff like that.

For me other than latency and convenience (from killing pulse before running REW and daw), is nothing. Both alsa and pulse do resampling though.

I'd only be using them in my house so looks basically don't mean anything to me, can you describe the signature of them to me? I've just looked at a review and he said they have a lot of bass and a lot of treble and drop off at the mids like a V, I'm not sure if that would be good or bad for atmospheric black metal?

I can go more expensive lol, I'd just rather stay around $100

Well, depends on the review. But they're basically quite flat with harman target response, except for that 9K peaks, which is also present on most grado and beyer cans. How tyll describe hd681 is "listening to good headphones through razor blade". Take a look to hd681 rtings.com review.

Just save it, nothing sounds good until near $300.

Bumping this.
The MSR7 is worrying to me because I listen to a lot of classical music, and I have seen some complaints because of the lacking mids.
Thinking about the DT770 with an Amp but wondering if there's anything else worth considering.

dt770 is perfect choice if you want to have no mids at all, because nigger bass and treble rape covers everything.
msr7 are already some of the flattest closed headphones.

Consider oppo pm3.

What happened to all those new offerings from Superlux? The HD685, 689 and another one that I can’t remember, did they flop?

Going to be acquiring a pair of HD 559's soon, what kind of amp should I get? Impedance is 50 Ohms.

>iPhone7
>need new IEMs
>can't justify AirPods' price, shit's more expensive that my last return tickets to HK/SG/Bali/Taipei/Phuket, would rather visit those places again
Need cheapo buds to replace my dying one, will be used outside everyday and the gym, and I also need play/pause/skip/backtrack/volume control. Are the wired apple ones my only option if I don't want to sell my soul to Steve?

>Budget
Less than 50 usd
>Location
Philippines
>Source
Phone
>Comfort level
Comfiest, gym/plane/office/out all the time
>Sound signature
Doesn't matter, need the comfiest

Seems only hd681 and hd688 is their best can do. While hd668b has more elevated mid-treble than hd681.

stax iem

Tin t2 is perfect, or consider hd381f for smoother high, but less build.

In what year was this? I cant remember any new headphones from superlux.

You should avoid them, they're rebranded 518s which are shit and not worth more than $30

it sounds vshape because of the bass extension (which something more expensive like hd600 don't have) and treble peak. without that peak it's basically hd600 with subbass.

Custom One Pro Plus, give me a song to check out for you

do you have a better solution you'd suggest

stax

So like shittier hd600? Not bad for a tenth of the price. Any mods you know of/would recommend?

Alsa but in 192khz or whatever eate your dac support.

Electronic mods, or plain parametric eq is good.
but still, hd681 has shit pad, replacement with same sound with stock is didn't exist.

Is it worth investing 30€ on a pair of good earpads for the Superlux 688b or just save money for some ok 100€ headphones if I'm gonna use them for just a few hours a day?