Self-taught programmers

>Self-taught programmers

Attached: 1534756221422.jpg (457x381, 144K)

YES GOOD GOY PAY MONEY FOR EDUCATION YOU CAN'T LEARN ANYTHING ON YOUR OWN

Attached: 1513625618215.jpg (220x220, 19K)

>he has to pay for education

Attached: 1508350870893.png (450x472, 179K)

This is an obvious CS buyer's remorse thread.

>Be self taught with arts degree
>Get into web dev no problem
>End up doing mainly frontend dev work
>Get transferred to an IT role because I was passionate about the subject
>Now get access to whatever training I want
>Multiple infrastructure/devops managers tell me certs are a meme
>Can get an IT role practically anywhere now

while in the real world you're just a larping shitposter

>struggle with cpp for years because brainlet.
>Take cpp class at com college.
>Instantly better at cpp

With the internet and the massive amount of resources available nowadays, self-study is easier than ever, and this is true not only for programming and computer science in particular.
Anyone who unironically believes you can't learn the equivalent of a good college program without actually going to college in 2018 is retarded.

Programming can't be taught

>is too stupid to learn programming hisself

If I didn't learn more progamming languages like the two I learned in university, I wouldn't be reverse engineer with a higher salary than ever fucking useless programmer, who doesn't know what a buffer overflow it.

Kill yourself OP.

Nope, posting unironically from work senpai.
If I can break into IT with a Graphic Design degree there's little excuse for brainlets like you : ^)

Stop slacking on 4channel and bring me my pumpkin spiced latte, Jeffrey!

the level of entry to anything that has anything to do with programming are high. Especially if there's only robot documentation with no tutorial and or basic example.

>pumpkin spiced latte

Sounds delicious.

it's december you rube, they're not selling those anymore, it's all about the peppermint this time of year

Can't even larp as a sanfran cucklord, no wonder my parents never loved me and i have to compensate by bullying my team.

That's pretty much how it is, even if you decide to get a degree. No one can teach you how to program(though they can guide you), you've got to learn this shit yourself.

I'm a self-taught programmer who successfully competes in coding competitions. I also teach math for IT students at a uni. there is such a huge demand for programmers that you practically cannot teach them anything (or an unacceptable percentage of them would fail)

do not pay for an IT/CS degree, just start to compete in online competitions and once you get better, you will get several offers from huge companies.

basically this.

retards dont know you can learn much better if you actually follow some competent college class material and try to solve the assignments on your own instead of solely relying on a meme book written by some barista who authored a npm package once.

I manage all the IT, not even juniours are ordered to make drinks.

>mfw I can cuck the bandwidth of codemonkey devs whenever I feel like it

If you weren’t programming as a child of your own volition in your free time you won’t be a good programmer. All programmers are self taught, Universities only generate interchangeable cogs and wheel code monkies for the corporations which sponsor those outdated institutions.

A self taught programmer who knows high school math will outperform a University-trained one who wasn’t already a recreational programmer.

>he pays for other people's education
cuck

every programmer is self taught, prove me wrong

Good job user. I made the transition to software development from EE, mostly self taught as well, while I did have some background from uni, calling me a programmer or a developer with only that under my arm would be insulting.
I was passionate and self driven, and I'm starting to write Clojure next week for a living.

Can someone explain to me what programming socks are?

Something where if you’re interested in them you’re dangerously close to going from gay to a full blown transfag.

Socks for programming. Was the name not enough of an explanation?

Okay, I'm just joking. I'm not sure myself, but they seemed to be loved by cross dressers who happen to program. Not sure why they do it, but hey. Usually these programming socks go up to your thigh.

It's pretty good to start and learn a bit before you take a class to learn it in a more formal and structured way.

>Okay, I'm just joking. I'm not sure myself
don't talk then maybe?

>he pays for Israel's military
good goy

At least we can destabilize the middle East so more Muhammads can flood Europe. You guys pay for Muhammad's school, healthcare, and free gibs.

Are you not aware of the refugee assistance and resettlement programs you have in place?

Sure you can. IT monkeys sure are uppity.

Typical eurpoor can't understand that 50,000 Muhammads affect your tiny population more than it affects the USA. Make sure you watch out for the vans of peace!

There are exactly 18 Syrian refugees in my country.
You can go fuck yourself while a Muhammad or a Tyrone fucks your bitch.

And the rest are African or Arab. The world can watch the news. We all see Europe burning. I see you have cucking on your mind. Not surprised since your wife probably leaves to "volunteer" for the refugees at night.

There are 127 in total.

credentialism rules

Nah homie

>implying my taxes are anywhere near burgeristan
>implying i don't wish to pay education so my fellow countrymen have the opportunity to not be uncivilized swines like majority of burgeristani population is
>implying my government didn't tell Merkel to fuck off and accepted any rapefugees

They really turned you into a good goy.

Literally all of the best programmers I've met so far are self taught, in fact all the successful (millionaire successful, not like "i got a job lol" successful) ones are all self taught.

There's no such thing as "self taught" you are always reading books, documentation, watching tutorials or getting advice from other people, it's more like getting informal education.

You know very well what I meant by self taught. If you're not under the supervision of a teacher you're gonna develop bad programming habits

Is there even a difference between no high school degree and a high school degree these days even?
Feels like only college and the military cared

What you know doesn't matter. What matters is that you're able to work with other people and that you're at least certified in the PSP so the company can get you into the TSP certification real fast. Self taught programmers go into the trash because many times they're shut ins and socially incompetent.

>>bad programming habits
IMO it's a tossup. Some people get shitty programming habits from classes / university because either they treat it like an academic subject and do it rote, or they are taught poor methods. Others get good habits from being self-taught, because they have exposure to real-world projects and might even get told their code is shit early on.

Shit, wrong reply. This one:

>If you're not under the supervision of a teacher you're gonna develop bad programming habits
like what?

Nigger you can't even reply properly. Whatever your opinion is is worthless. I bet you're a self taught programmer AHAHAHAHA

is this true anons? :(
i just started programming i dont wanna be a fucken failure

Attached: mdKZixZ8jV7c11JyQOysP-7Z4LEP_eHMA3_n1t_ctsU.jpg (512x768, 57K)

>is this true anons? :(
no

>i dont wanna be a fucken failure
If you can earn your way, or write code that other people say is good, then you're for sure not a failure.
Unless you're writing in Perl because fuck that language.

>why would I learn a skill from a master who's honed not only that skill but also the skill of teaching over a matter of decades, that I can personally interact with and ask questions of, when I can just youtube tutorial it lol

I see the POSSIBILITY of learning programming on your own, I just don't see why so many Jow Forumstards have it as a PREFERENCE.

>I see the POSSIBILITY of learning programming on your own, I just don't see why so many Jow Forumstards have it as a PREFERENCE.
being able to do it in free time instead of scheduling time to meet someone for it is probably one of the biggest reasons to do "self taught" learning

unless you're in a 3rd world country.
I'm Puerto Rican, in an ABET accredited university, and the students actually develop bad habits they learn from the professors. I literally just go to lectures to sign in my assistance and learn the best programming practices by myself.

most of these "masters"are out of touch boomers

I'm quite happy with my MSc in CS and paid internship in Intel :)

Right but it's such a small advantage compared to the huge loss. Like preferring to body build with exclusively pushups and no other weights or tools because "I like to save money lol"

Have you gone to a non-shit university? Those "out of touch boomers" could code circles around you user.

>mfw in Uni
>mfw basically self taught because most professors just show slides a whole semester

I learned a few neat things though and having someone explain stuff like asymptotic analysis, pointers, data structures and algorithms is nice. Assuming they're not shit at their job.

Attached: DrWhLXsWsAAdYOh.jpg (750x804, 90K)

you can learn progrramming on your own faster than you can do it at school

It makes me sad that most of Jow Forums considers CS studies just as a way to get a paper to get a job. It's a very interesting scientific discipline, even without the software engineering part.

This is literally just not true. Most lectures can move at a lightning pace because the Professor can address questions and common misconceptions and move on. I feel like all of you people went to some shit community college with a "teacher" who couldn't be bothered.

>scientific
who cares nerd

>Right but it's such a small advantage compared to the huge loss
where's the huge loss at?
it's not like self teaching methods makes you unable to go on irc and ask questions to someone that would have answers

I learnt programming when I was 8, school started teaching it when I was 16
Practical experience matters so much more than sitting through a class and learning the theory

You could, you'd be a happier person.

>Have you gone to a non-shit university?
You got me there. Actually, the uni is good, the department is shit. But that's the problem I think, the shit CS departments outnumber the good ones. And even the good ones don't necessarily have better material than the internet does. I'd rather learn from an universally acclaimed textbook/always updated tutorial than from a very qualified professor. imo a textbook gives much more in-depth explanations than a professor's slides. I can even get ivy league tier education by enrolling in a free harvard course in edx

Yeah I'm sure computer scientists are all happy people

>self-programmed teachers

Attached: screenshot.png (339x303, 9K)

I'm self-taught sysadmin and it's kinda funny because when I interact with fresh computer science graduates they're pretty useless. They don't really know anything outside of a very specific scope of things they're taught about, and it's borderline rote memorization so they have difficulty self-educating (eg. googling things).

You won't know unless you at least try to enjoy it.

I'd be writing a bloated retarded class hierarchy every goddamn time and wank over FP and recursion constantly without actually getting anything done if I were to program as I was "taught" in college.
Degrees are a meme.

They will get a promotion and you won't.

you're really selling us on the superiority of an education

When a bizarre assumption. I don't think you've ever worked at a tech company. No one gets promotions, everyone just gets better jobs.

Even when there is an occasional promotion it's often out of necessity. It's not a resume contest, and even if it was you may as well leave the education section off your resume once you have work experience.

you got dubs, but the butthurt is still apparent in your posts.

All degrees are just pieces of paper to get a job.
That doesn't mean CS in itself isn't interesting.
God I fucking hate the current "Universities and universities alone hold all the knowledge in the world" meme.

if your job can be done through reading documentation and self-teaching it doesn't take that much skill. there are levels to programming like any other craft and without an education there's going to be a pretty big wall that a person will need to get through own their own

the only person butthurt here is the guy who wasted money on a college degree

If your job can be done by doing what your lecturer tells you to it doesn't take much skill
Skill in programming only comes through experience

This 100%. If you need a piece of paper just get one from a competency based university like WGU.

How do I into this? don't say SICP because even MIT dropped it, well, the scheme version at least.
I have some prog exp but I want to get into the data science field.

there is more to school than lectures. you get reviewed on your work, complete projects, and get meaningful feedback. it really helps in addition to experience.

Is this real or a meme

You complete projects twice as fast through self-motivated independent learning, mentorship is the only good thing about school if you can get it

but what's the point if you can't tell that they're shit?

>there is more to school than lectures. you get reviewed on your work, complete projects, and get meaningful feedback. it really helps in addition to experience.
Only if you're lucky and you enroll in a non-shit program.
And unfortunately, completely useless courses/professors are present even in Ivy tier colleges.

They work. :^)

It's not art
Your program works or it doesn't
You can say that it might work but be a mess of spaghetti code, well the spaghetti code will come and bite you in the ass as soon as you attempt to scale a project

well then why is windows or gimp shitty?

>programming isn't art

Attached: 1530814248411.jpg (260x224, 13K)

the politics of project management, enterprise hell or open source autism, nothing to do with the skill of the programmers involved

Windows is shit because it is full of botnet, lacks functionality a proper OS should have, and has forced updates that make actually being productive on it impossible.
Don't you talk shit on Gimp.
Windows is shit because Microsoft WANTS it to be shit. All its flaws aren't consequences of poor programming skill. They are intentional. Windows still behaves the way Microsoft wants it to.

I didn't waste the money because I have a very well paid job, also thanks to that degree. If I didn't have it, my salary would be lower.

>believing this

Attached: 1544042571754.png (50x50, 5K)

Not an argument.

im self taught, got a CS degree anyway

self study is the way to go the internet is full of useful information that you can use to self teach, you can teach yourself how to write code like I did and start game development and not even spend a dime

Attached: knowledge.png (512x512, 223K)