The best laptop featuring some obsolete tech?

What was the absolute best laptop to feature IDE?

All laptops starting from around 2005(?) - 2006(?) had had IDE replaced with SATA. It was the final death blow on IDE/PATA technology.

What was the last and best laptop computer to feature IDE/PATA?

I was thinking of IBM A31p but it is from December 2002 so surely there must be something more recent.
IBM had quite fine features:

2GHz Pentium 4 mobile (1st generation, no hyperthreading)

Radeon 9000 based mobility Radeon 3D GPU

So somekind of laptop from 2004 could be the absolute best?

It could in theory have:
Pentium M CPU (1.4GHz P-M is as fast as 2GHz Pentium 4)
Geforce FX based Geforce Mobile (not necessarily faster than Radeon 9000 but more recent and more features)

Attached: ide.jpg (1200x784, 180K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

15" 1.67GHz DLSD High Resolution PowerBook G4

Thinkpad T42P maybe.

I know the T43 and T43P used PATA HDDs, but with a PATA to SATA bridge, and the laptop board itself had SATA.

CPU: powerpc G4, 1.6GHz

I have no idea how good this is
Does it run Linux though

It beats the absolute snot out of a Pentium M at the same speed.
And of course it runs GNU/Linux, Adèlie or Debian are recommended.

>recommending old powerPC ISA in 2018

wewlad. Get ready for most programs made lately not to work.

Definitely a Thinkpad T42.
I own several and to this day they run far far better than they have any right to in 2018.
I have Debian installed on mine and although it runs a little slow on RAM-heavy tasks (meaning light web browsing only and YouTube is unusable on anything over 240p), it's still a great choice for a secondary laptop.

I wouldn't use one as a daily driver these days as I have better options but it's absolutely still a very capable machine.

As opposed to what, IA-32?
You know you can just compile software to run on PowerPC, right? You'll need to do the same on IA-32, since binaries for that are starting to get scarce too.

Pentium M is 32-bit x86.
It's gonna be far easier to get shit working than with powerPC, unless you're doing things that specifically were being done with Power ISA already.

whats the best CPU for those?
they dont have problems with overheating, destroyed GPU?

Continued from Downsides to the T42: You're limited to 32-bit operating systems, and only those that allow a fake-pae or force-pae feature as the T42 either doesn't have or doesn't properly report (I don't remember which) pae.
This means no Discord client if you use it, though web Discord works, albeit painfully slowly.

Also I had an intermittent wi-fi dropout issue that seemed to be Linux-related as it kept happening across several different distros and installs. It was not a hardware issue as it didn't happen on Windows. Whether it was driver-related or configuration-related I don't know.

32-bit windows is an option and I had Windows 7 installed for a long time on mine, but I've found that Debian runs far faster than Windows in my experience.
I imagine if you're okay with using XP it'll run that like a champ as it did back in the day, but this of course limits you to programs that work on XP.

>Pentium M is 32-bit x86.
Exactly, IA-32.
>It's gonna be far easier to get shit working than with powerPC, unless you're doing things that specifically were being done with Power ISA already
Mate, you throw the source into gcc/clang and it compiles it for your architecture just the same. And the Debian repos have shitloads of binaries if you don't feel like compiling stuff. Have you even used a ppc machine under GNU/Linux?

afaik they all have Pentium M, at least mine all do. I'm not actually sure on that one.

As far as GPU/overheating, I don't know of any particular issues in that regard and mine doesn't run -that- hot, though I do use a cooling pad with it.

>IA-32
If you're going to be pedantic, call it i686, since that's the specific version we're talking about.

Just compile your shit

Good thing I don't use ANY proprietary software that doesn't release the source for me to compile.

Come on, only freetards will actually defend this.

>call it i686, since that's the specific version we're talking about.
I see, so we're talking only about P6-based chips and not all 32-bit x86 chips here?
Because proprietary software will run SO WELL under GNU/Linux on a fucking Pentium M, right?

>I see, so we're talking only about P6-based chips and not all 32-bit x86 chips here?
well we're discussing a T42/p which has a Pentium M, so yea, we are.

>Because proprietary software will run SO WELL under GNU/Linux on a fucking Pentium M, right?
At least it will run at all.

What useful proprietary software can you even use on a pre-2006 laptop

How about web browsers? Pretty sure almost no modern web browser is compiled for PowerPC.

There's a fork of Firefox you can run on PPC OSX, otherwise just compile it

>well we're discussing a T42/p which has a Pentium M
We're discussing the most powerful laptops with IDE, which include more than the T42.
>At least it will run at all.
But what is the point of running proprietary software slowly if you can run a free alternative way faster?
Both Chromium/chrome and Firefox are open source and you can compile them for PowerPC. What the fuck are you talking about?

If being pedantic i686 isn't a real name.
IA-32, IA-32e, EM64T, Intel64 are.

there are thousands of music production softwares you can use, for Windows XP 32-bit

not sure how obsolete they would be now in terms of features compared to new ones

Pretty sure those are available on PPC as well

i686 refers to a specific version of IA-32, so not sure what the fuck you're trying to say here.

>Both Chromium/chrome and Firefox are open source and you can compile them for PowerPC
Then why are there dozens of reports of people being unable to compile them?

I see NO reason to recommend Power ISA unless it's an exercise in learning how to make shit work even when it shouldn't.

wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ

Just read through that to see ALL the fucking hoops you have to jump through just to get Ubuntu working properly.

Your own link says "Nearly all open-source software is available to download from the Ubuntu repositories"
And that's assuming you'd want to install Linux rather than OSX

>music production software
>Windows XP 32-bit
You do realize you're using music production software as an argument against a machine capable of running OS X, right? I hope you understand how retarded this is.
Works on my machine(tm)

Attached: 2018-12-10-160312_1024x768_scrot.png (1024x768, 177K)