Is this what I should use if I want to make simple Windows programs?

Is this what I should use if I want to make simple Windows programs?

Attached: 3x-b0c183d05872358ebf8b1aac993f2889-Delphi 3 - About.png (800x600, 10K)

You shouldn't be making Windows programs at all.

>learning a dead language
didn't know hipster programmers exist

What would you suggest if I just want to make simple dialogue boxes and shit?

Visual Studio can do this, and you can use modern languages with it.

visual studio is terrible bloat

Can it make programs that run on Windows 3.1 / 95 though?

Well then he/you can go and use dead lanugages on dead platforms, noone's stopping you.

if you want for some unknown reason make programs for those old windows versions I'd rather use some old visual C or visual basic since C and basic are still around and if you learn that stuff at least it's not completely wasted time.

And what's the point of that?

No, use Clipper.

rad studio

No, use Delphi 5. And {$R} a XML manifest to enable scaling and styles so your software doesn't look like shit in Win7/8/10.

RAD studio generates 2MB .exes for the simplest programs. If you only need small programs, the only advantages it has over Delphi 5 are Unicode strings and refactoring.

Old Visual Basic software that uses .ocx controls doesn't work out of the box on modern Windows without regsvr32 fuckery.

There should be better tools for building cross platform UI's than currently exist. Why is this so ass.

are you sure you're using win32 api with it? i think it had it's own cross-platform gui framework or something which would probably explain why executables are so big.

>asks question
>HURR WHY ARE YOU DOING X
sure is reddit in here

Lazarus / Freepascal

Attached: Windows_7[1].png (1024x768, 86K)

Why do you give a shit?

you use winapi and a C compiler with windows headers

Yes, it's the old VCL, not the new multiplatform framework. And if you compile it with debug configuration, it's 11 MB.

Attached: Capture.png (1301x1025, 71K)

OP learn AutoIT but never admit to it in public

At least use a newer version.

i see. well, personally 2mb or few kb doesn't make much difference to me. i guess you could look into visual studio if you use windows exclusively but i don't like it much. i like , too.

>tfw have been learning WinAPI for the entire summer before freshman's year
>tfw all professors were communists and only used java on FreeBSD and Ubuntu
>tfw never used C since
>tfw all the intricate HRESOURCE incantations you learnt by heart are becoming rusty
>tfw even Microsoft left WinAPI to rot in favor of .NET

I haven't done almost any WINAPI since 2007, though it's still a fallback when .NET inevitably doesnt allow you the required flexibility in its babby-wrapper classes.

No.

Attached: 1519975596549.png (1920x1080, 102K)

Visual Studio with a windows form project. Its actually super easy to do.

Delphi started going south in the 2000s trying to integrate C++, .NET, PHP, Linux support etc. 5, 6 and 7 are okay, but 8 went full retard by removing the Win32 compiler (!), and everything that came after that was a colossal clusterfuck that returned to being usable only in the 2010s with Embarcadero.

Only madmen use bare WinAPI.

Lazarus is nice with a great community, but feature-wise it's still somewhere in the Delphi 3.0 era. I'd still recommend it over ancient Delphi versions though; the code and API is similar to the point of being almost compatible, so later you can easily switch to RAD Studio if you need a more complex project.

why not using some Linux compatible development environment which can produce Windows .exe

Attached: install-visual-basic-vb6.png (456x355, 24K)

Skip the awful CodeGear versions and just use the Embarcadero ones then.

Hello?

Attached: 1527871763939.png (372x367, 19K)