Okay

Okay

unbiased opinions only
is 4k worth it? Gaming and video included

Im running with a 1080p monitor right now but have the hardware capabilities to run 4k decently, but am debating swapping ol reliable with a new monitor

Is it worth the buy?

Attached: display-resolution.jpg (882x491, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ehvz3iN8pp4&t=700s
m.newegg.com/products/N82E16824011229
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No

Yes

explain

Is the difference in resolution truly noticeable?

Yes for any monitor 22" and larger
Worthless on laptops and phones

No
youtube.com/watch?v=ehvz3iN8pp4&t=700s

Get a big enough monitor so you don't have to scale and you get so much more real estate. Can't talk about games since I dont really play video games anymore

Reading shit on 4k screans is great, on games and movies the jump from WQHD to 4k isn't that noticeable.

4k may or may not be worth it, perhaps sit and think about concepts like dpi and fov so you can come to some kind of intelligent decision rather than relying on memeing.

get a 1440p > 100 hz monitor

I only have a 1060 and a cheap 4k 65", but even games like Doom, look quite a bit better at mid settings on 4k vs high settings at 1080.

If you're gaming go for higher refresh rates instead.

It is not. 1440p 144hz is the perfect setup right now. Your monitor has to take up a LARGE portion of your FoV for you to notice the increased pixel density of 4k compared to 1440p. That's not even delving into input lag and screen tearing issues.

4k and up should be reserved for VR, only because the monitor is literal inches from your eyes.

to this point I have also considered this
my 1080 monitor runs a really nice 120 hz with the DVI connector and I was also curious how A higher refresh 1440 would compare

My monitor is like 24 inches rn how much larger should I go ?

I will definitely check out some 1440 monitors it definitely seems to be the consensus of everyone in the thread

>FoV for you to notice the increased pixel density of 4k compared to 1440p
stupid meme, if OP is reading text the jump is massive even on a 17" laptop screen taking up a postage-stamp section of FOV.

I was thinking like 30-32 inches 4k

2k 144hz > 4k 60hz

Attached: 1535647810217.jpg (433x433, 38K)

But that's wrong. The less a screen takes up your FoV, the less PPI you need.

no shit, i'm not saying the concept is wrong, i'm saying your pronouncement that 1440p->4K isnt noticeable unless its a large part of your FOV is wrong. Perhaps that's true going from 8K -> 16K, we'll see.

>i'm saying your pronouncement that 1440p->4K isnt noticeable unless its a large part of your FOV is wrong.
How can the concept be right but an example derived from the concept be wrong? You can notice the difference between 1440p and 4k, but you either need the monitor to be large, or you need to sit close to the screen to get any tangible benefit from it. If you're comparing two 32" screens then yes, the 1440p won't be as crystal.

24 inch 1080 sounds terrible.

I got 22 inch 1080p next to a 25 inch 1440p
25 inches for 1440 is very pleasing and detailed when gaming.

I'm not sure how to be clearer: the concept that great fov requires greater PPI for the same arc-angle resolution is obviously correct. The fact that you subjectively don't notice the difference between 1440p and 4K at a particular size is simply not fact. I absolutely notice the difference on a 17" laptop sitting 60cm from me - perhaps your eyes are bad or you're only watching video?

>is 4k worth it?
In video yes.
In gaming not yet, unless you wanna buy an overpriced GPU and give up high framerates. Give it 2 gens before it becomes ok.

don't care about gaming, but 4k is great for doing actual work on very large monitors.

If you're going to sit in 2 meters at the screen.

Othrewise 1080 is already more than enough

I'm not a fan of overdetalization when you cannot concentrate on the picture as too many details are happening

test

o

it's as necessary as a good sound system

If you play video games, get a 1440p 144hz monitor with geesync/freesync (depends if you have AMD or NVidya).
When playing games, the step from 1440p to 4k is barely noticeable, but it will tank your frame-rates which is much worse.

If you don't play games or use your computer for intense 3D work, 4K will look better while reading text and looking at images. Make sure to get a high quality monitor with accurate color reproduction and good contrast, not just the cheapest thing that says "4K" on it.

>the step from 1440p to 4k is barely noticeable
Must be nice being blind

It's a function of screen size and how close you sit to your monitor.
If you've got a 32" screen and sit 1.5 feet away, 4k is going to be noticeably better.
If you've got a 26" screen and sit 3 feet away, there's not going to be much difference.

Use case is most important though. It's way better to get 100+ FPS playing a game in 1440p, vs getting 40 FPS playing a game in 4K. If you don't play games, 4K is always better.

Are you using the same laptop at different resolutions for your test?

Yes. Even if you don't have the hardware for it you can still game in 1080.

4k video is a meme. No content currently, everything deemed 4k is upscale from 1080p no matter what shills say (there are few examples which you could kind with your fingers). Dunno about gaming.

>kind
Count I meant ofc

for gaming, fuck no, nothing will run 4k at a guaranteed over 60, you are better off with 1440/1600p for gaming.

for general computer use, this is hard.
I will never recommend 4k at sub 40 inch due to never wanting to rely on dpi scaling. personally I use a tcl 55 4k with local dimming, I get excellent blacks, I get great brightness, the only problem is some forms of shading, like stippling, will cause a green/pink to display. its annoying, but not a deal breaker for me.
for general computer, I can watch 4k video, stop sitting at my computer and go to my bed for video without the screen being very small, and right now, I have Jow Forums displayed at 1920x2100
I basically have a quad 1080p monitor set up.

the only problem is that i'm right on the fucking edge of the pixels being to big. im nto a fucking screenlicker like most of Jow Forums is apparently, i'm always 2-3 feet away from my monitor. sure, when something is high contrast i can see pixels but when its not, I cant complain at all.

Plus I like playing windowed, so it really helps with that due to being able to fit a 2560x1440/1600 screen fully on it and have room to spare.

No, because refresh rate > resolution. You'd be better off driving 1440p @ high fps than a 4k monitor that probably has a 60hz refresh rate.

Tell me more. So basically you're using the resolution to create multiple "monitors" inside the same monitor?

4k is great for font rendering and limited video content, alright for games if you have the hardware to run it (and if you don't, you can treat it as a 1080p monitor with no penalty in sharpness). but finding a high refresh rate 4k monitor for a reasonable price that isn't shitty TN is nearly impossible

>high refresh rate 4k monitor
Those exist?

How much are you willing to spend?

m.newegg.com/products/N82E16824011229

>144Hz (overclocked)
>Predator Shield keeps you focused on the game

At this point you might as well just wait for TVs with HDMI 2.1 if you want high refresh 4k
Next year or two there will be ~40-50 inch 4k TVs with native 120hz panels,10 bit color, HDR, and Variable refresh rate all while being maybe $1200 at launch

>is *better thing* good?
yes

yea, I used the size to have 4 1080p screens in a 2x2 config.

the only issue is its bigger then i wanted, but getting one in that 40-48 inch range would have either been a massive step down in quality, or cost an extra 1000 dollars at the time. for me it was a 600$ well spent purchase

that and I can also set games to 3860x720 and have a triple monitor gameplay If I so choose. little reason for it, but it's fun to play around with nonetheless.

No, 4k is not worth it. Even if you go for the "large enough monitor so that you don't need scaling". I have a 4k 42" and shit's still too small. Also when you game 4k + Ultra + >60fps does not happen.
Me personally, I liked my 32" 1440p monitor best. Best ppi, works without scaling, 1440p is not too demanding for games, etc.
t. Someone who has spent way too much money on way too many good monitors...

Yes, however the minimum screen size diagonally you should get is 32 inches. Any less and it's not worthwhile.

absolutely not unless you need the screen space for work

>unbiased opinions
>give me your objective opinions
Objectivity doesn't exist dude.

>Is the difference in resolution truly noticeable?
It truly depends on the situation. If it's a television at couch viewing distance the biggest difference I notice between streaming 4k video and 1080p is bitrate quality. If it's a HQ 4k rip (15-20 gb/hr) I'd be able to tell the difference between it and HQ 1080p, but it wouldn't be obvious.

For gaming there's definitely minimal aliasing if you're on a sub-32" monitor but I'd rather be 1440p at over 100 fps than 4k60.

For general computing it's great to have all that screen real estate. I honestly wish I could say that 4k is a gigantic step up from 1440p/1080p but unless it's for a monitor you're pretty close to, it's really not worth it right now. HDR / HFR will make a much bigger impact on general viewing.