Who requires an new computers?

You can do just about any kind of web browsing with an 3GHz core2 CPU (dual core 8400 for example) and 4-8 GB of RAM, not sure how many old mobos support the 8GB.

But DDR2 RAM can be stockpiled dirt cheap if you dont take larger than 1GB sticks, you are literally given them free. Same goes for CPUs like 8400. But motherboards may or may not be more tricky.

But the moral of the story is: you can create a capable core 2 duo machine for free or almost free to browse internet happily using Linux.

You may not be able to play all the newest games even with an ok GPU, something like Geforce 460GTX which is ALMOST FREE, but requires quite powerfull Powersupply unit however.

If you can forget about GPUs alltogether, the computer will become almost free as power supplies arent then an issue.

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x221, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ax620z-JKEk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

or just get a chromebook

ok then, performance vs expenses?

I don't want a stinking core2 duo that just barely loads one page and doesn't scroll smoothly.

yeah good luck putting 8gb of ddr2 into an intel mobo with 2 slots.

also a duo2cuo 8400 isn't too comfortable for modern web. i have a couple machines with those and they lag quite a bit

explain to me then why some people use comfortable (their own claim) 10 year old Lenovo laptops with awful core2 CPUs

If you are going lower than 2500K with any new build you're the ultimate poorfag

Because they're autistic and cling to the past. Plus, those laptops are cheap.

Local thinkpadfags love X220s, those have significantly faster 2nd gen i5/i7.

Because they are comfy on the outside, or because "muh libreboot" autism.
I too have a T60p but it's showing its age now, for example with 60fps youtube videos

x60 and x200 still has the core2 CPUs

those will be considerably cheaper (probably) than x220

They run a stripped down Linux distro with a stripped down web browser, and disable many webpage elements.
It's also not a smooth experience, but they put up with it because they want to use their old IBM twinkpads.

if mummy pays your electricity, you don't have heat, and you don't go outside your way is perfect

Consumer computers has already been a very small market. The hobbyists and old people keep it afloat.

I don't see much x60/x200 shilling in /tpg/ nowadays, aside from "muh last real thinkpad" memes.

Normalfags infringing on a hobbyst board and complaining about said hobby.

Just checked eBay, the x200 goes for like $140, and the x60/x61 goes for like $80.
The x61 is a borderline relic at this point (32bit, 2GB RAM?!), and there's no real reason to use one when an x230 is $170 with an i7 in it. That is, unless you want to jerk off to the "IBM" logo.

Lol I got an x230 with 250GB SSD last year for $100 and an x250 for $120 last month.

X61 is 64bit, but yea they are waaaaaaaaaaay overpriced due to people selling them as "collectables"...

I had an x61s and it wouldn't let me install a 64 bit OS on it.

I'm a bit jelly. I'm using an X240 with the i7-4600u and 128gb SSD. It was $200 about a year ago... I think?
Looking at CPU performance, it doesn't seem worth it to upgrade until the X270 with the 7th gen chips... then it gives an estimated 30% performance increase. Also I only see them for $850 minimum... not really in a hurry to drop that kind of money for not much gain.

Same had a X61s running 64bit OSs just fine. What CPU did you have (I had a L7500), desu the X61s is slow so i just sold it.

I gave it to this barista girl I was friends with because she was so poor that she couldn't even afford a laptop to do her school work on. Windows wouldn't install on it so I tried to teach her as best as I could how to into Linux.

Didn't link for some reason

GPUs are still making strides in performance, however the 1050 / ti can play almost everything on high settings at 1080p.

CPUs aren't getting much better. I run a few sandybridge computers and they are all going strong. just don't waste your money

damn nice of you user.

She still using it?

I've since moved to a different country (this was about 6 months ago), but I hope she's gotten a better job to where she doesn't have to use it.

It sure was a cute little machine though, something about the little 4:3 monitors is very aesthetic.

Hey all, I am running Win10 on a T9400 upgraded to chink T9900 with 8gb ddr2. It runs fine, it can even do some light gaming, don't listen to the Jewtel shills

what do you value more your time or your money? sure your 10$ core2duo system holds excellent value for the money, but imagine the hours you could save by simply using something modern instead, there is a big difference to moving from even 2 cores to 4 cores in daily tasks, from hdd to ssd and so on, so again ask yourself a question what's more important and choose accordingly there is a place for both options depending on your current situation

>Who requires an new computers?
I do

Attached: speccy.png (869x567, 44K)

This
Modern capacities are quite expensive on DDR2 unless you have a HEDT/workstation mobo with lots of slots
Then there's power consumption
Though if you can browse well enough with 4 GB of RAM and have cheap electricity then you can't really go wrong with your idea
2 GB just can't cut it for web browsing, not even on lightweight GNU/Linux distros
There's also issues starting to arise on old Intel iGPs on post 4.13 Linux kernels, none of them have worked without bugs for me

Yeah you can toss a free gpu into a free PC, but for 70$ you can get a lynfield xeon board/cpu and ram and blow the fucker into the stratosphere performance wise
+ 20$ matx case and any storage medium, gpu and psu, theres just no reason to bother with the core lineup unless you have literally no money
because 200$ gets you a fantastic build these days in this used market

I'm still using a 4.6ghz 2500k, see no reason to upgrade.

>electricity is free

Winter break is coming

You can get a 6000+ for $8.
It would probably be better to put that $8 towards a better used system, though.

all i do on my t60 is install ublock origin, run a script forcing youtube hd to 30fps, and turn off smooth scrolling. haven't run into any sites that bog it down

i don't really feel like i lose much from watching at 30fps vs 60. mostly because youtube content is throwaway trash to start with

most people are better served by sandy bridge and up, but there's still life in c2d

some of my catches: t60 for $20, x200s for $43, t430 for $75

Attached: IMG_0552.jpg (3024x4032, 2.98M)

I used a Core 2 Quad (Q9400 iirc) for 9 years, before building a new PC nearly 2 years ago. It sucks, a lot. You can't put 8GB of RAM in most of the available motherboards, and 4GB are totally not enough. Linux and macOS (hackintosh) were almost ok, they freezed often under load, but Windows was a total pain in the ass to use even just for web browsing
A 3+ gen i5 is still a viable choice, but anything older is just trash

Ivy was like a 3% improvement over Sandy. Sandy does just fine, and the -k's can still hang with new CPUs when OC'd.

Attached: i7 [email protected] (803x401, 46K)

thats dozen times faster than core2 tech

all i do on my t60 is install ublock origin, run a script forcing youtube hd to 30fps, and turn off smooth scrolling. haven't run into any sites that bog it down

i don't really feel like i lose much from watching at 30fps vs 60. mostly because youtube content is throwaway trash to start with

most people are better served by sandy bridge and up, but there's still life in c2d

some of my catches: t60 for $20, x200s for $43, t430 for $75

Attached: IMG_0717.jpg (3024x4032, 1.74M)

I have a machine with an E7400, 8gb ddr2, and 8400gs and it can shitpost just fine

If I'm not wrong, Ivy Bridge was a huge leap forward about power consumption and temperatures, that's why I wouldn't use a Sandy Bridge. Feel free to prove me wrong, though

>it can shitpost just fine
Jow Forums runs on 2005 web tech. Try some crap like aliexpress and you'll see how it takes 5 seconds to render the page even with adblocking.

Attached: mug,standard,x400,right-bg,ffffff.u2.jpg (646x400, 16K)

I use several 60/61 series thinkpads daily. With a simple adblocker, the only content they struggle with is 60fps HD youtube playback on the website - if I download the video and transcode it, then it plays fine.

For me it's Q9550s, same performance as a non-S but only 65w

>muh coarz

huge might be stretching it, but it was more efficient, less power consumption with better performance, also has pci-e 3.0 and(with the 7 series chips) SATA III and USB 3.0 native support.

X61 it's 64bit, faggot.
And can take more RAM. faggot.

> t. X61 owner.

Find a 15" laptop with good build quality, a decent keyboard, and a perfect 1920x1200 screen that isn't a T61p

Oh wait.

There aren't any.

>What is a latitude E6500

I tought about the same until my 8320 build died last month.

I jumped the gun on a 1700, i was into the Athlon 200GE or the R3 2400g since they suposedly give the same perf as my 8320.

I was so fucking wrong, the 1700 is a breeze, i ended up buying a fuckin 1080 too (had a 470 with 570 bios) just this saturday i went to a Roger Waters concert and recorded much of it in 4K, fuck. Adobe Premiere was never so quick to stabalize the video and render it, Gaymen is just about right i mean i dont gaymen that much but the sheer performance.

I remember editing video with Vegas 14 on my 8320 and seeng 550w spikes at times with most of the time having a "stable" 86°c 400w heatbox, now i have a fucking 55°c 100w°(?) chiller. I feel retarded having a 750w PSU.

I'm still on my 2k12 mbp and mini. I'm also running Bestmere-EP's on my servers.

I won't be upgrading until stuff breaks.

>tfw bought a 750w because FX
>tfw it doesn't even use that much power

Attached: psu.jpg (1932x2576, 741K)

>I feel retarded having a 750w PSU
No reason for that. Power supplies are most efficient when they're operating at around or slightly less than 60% of their maximum capacity. You're saving energy using that PSU with a moderate load versus if you were using a 500 W PSU at 80% load.

This, also the psu may last longer if it's only using 500w or so when the psu can easily take more than 750w before it trips the shutoff.

>implying a computer will make a significant difference in your power bill

Kek. Barely 3x actually.

this fucker bought a CX corsair psu
rip

inb4 everyone who doesn't use a botnet modern CPU is a poorfag

i have high end core 2 duo computer

Attached: cpu-z gpu-z3.png (1920x1440, 1.56M)

It's still working really good, family.

>old tech is not a botnet
Yeah, sure, sweetie

I'm gonna go away for a month in a few days, I'll be using this badboy.

Cpu upgraded from a t4400 to this p9600, ram from 2gb to 8gb and 5400rpm hdd to ssd.
Also wifi upgraded from some unstable horrid trash card to a Intel 5300.

It's pretty amazing how much of a piece of shit this laptop was, and now is quite good even in 2018 for my normal uses except gaming.

Core 2 duo is fucking comfy.

I was thinking of getting a q2quad for it, but pretty sure mobo/cpu or power supply whould have fried.

Attached: spcy.jpg (668x526, 57K)

I've got a T9550 2.66 and it's really comfy with an SSD, mobile core 2 quad is just too hot for what it does.

Yeah, that was my thought. If I could tweak it in the bios like on desktop boards I may have found a vcore/frequency setting that had worked, but I think only a few highend laptops with 10kg cooling solutions had that kind of bios options.

The display on it is pretty shit tho, glossy 768p bullshit. Whould have been awsome to get a 1080p matt panel, but not sure its worth the effort and money considering how little I actually use it.

I did buy a panel like that for another laptop from china, but of course it was faulty.

China, never again.

I have the exact same PSU as i know its a known bad model, but i had it for years now (at least 5 years) and it works as a brezee.

im planning on changing the PSU for a modular one since my case is buttfucked with psu cables in the back...ill guess il get a 750w gold psu instead of a 650.

Attached: nb19.png (1272x954, 1.67M)

Are you a nigger?

E6550 2,3GHz @ 3,5GHz + 8GB RAM + GTX 750 Ti 2GB
Still works fine here.
I wanted to upgrade to Zen firstly, but after some thinking I'm waiting for Zen 2.

You don't even need an expensive new computer for gay men. I've been putting together the parts for an X79 build just for fun recently and the total cost so far, with an i7-3960X, ANUS X79-Deluxe motherboard, 16GB DDR3 2400 (4x4GB) and a PSU is less than I paid for my 2700X (and still will be when I buy a case). And you could easily save even more by going for something like the i7-3820 instead, which is just a 2600K with more cache.

Still need a graphics card (I already have a spare RX 580 sitting around), but a used GTX 970 or R9 290 that's still fine for 1080p doesn't cost much these days, let alone something weaker than that.

It wasn't really. I was researching Sandy vs Ivy recently and even with the hexa-core parts you only save 20-30W from one to the other. Not insignificant, but hardly groundbreaking either. And it comes with the caveat that Ivy generally doesn't clock as high, even comparing the soldered HEDT parts (4.4GHz "guaranteed" versus 4.6GHz "guaranteed). Temperatures were no improvement either (hell, Intel have still made no ground on that front several die shrinks later).

>with better performance
Not much. Comparing the 3960X and 4960X, the latter is only ~5% faster out of the box, and that's with a 100MHz clock advantage. PCIe 3.0 and a better memory controller are decent benefits though.

Attached: 57937.png (600x550, 32K)

Even first gen Core i series is getting old now. 2nd gen is totally fine tho, as it was a huge leap forward.

mfw got a Z420 mobo and 64GB DDR3 ECC RAM free from work, popped in an E5-2690 CPU and its fuckin fast

That's a nice score. Even paying for them, Sandy/Ivy Xeons are amazing value for what you get. They're starting to get down towards the same prices that Westmere Xeons have been. I was planning to get an E5-1650 v2 (fully unlocked and overclockable 6c/12t Ivy Bridge) before I got the 3960X for almost nothing.

The ultimate endgame for that socket is the E5-1680 v2, which is an unlocked 8c/16t chip. Those are still fairly expensive though, since they only came inside Mac Pros.

E2200 with 2gb of ddr2 ram on windows 7 here, browsing just fine

>I've never paid a power bill

That is true but my parents haven't complained so far.

1st gen core-i is not faster than fastest core2

>750w
>744w on one 12v rail
>3 year warranty if it blows up or is even making a funny noise
>$69.99
People can talk shit but that is one heck of a value if you don't mind having cables in your case, load line calibration is really good on it, and it's not rippling like crazy.

Attached: 2017-08-26-486.jpg (4000x2248, 1.65M)

>You need a dedicated GPU card to surf the internet - the thread

>Dell
Why do you enjoy shit user? What made you this way?

>1366 screen
Damn they were starting that shit even on core 2 laptops.

>core2x
the original ryzen

It kinda was the original ryzen with the ipc gains, but it also overclocked insanely well, you could take a 1.8GHz core 2 duo and crank that shit up to the Pentium 4 speed you had before, with the better ipc, and two real cores.

I think you're wrong about the v2's being oc able, I've only heard about "v1" atleast.

A friend of mine bought a "higher end" $1000+ Acer back in 2010, and I bought a $400 Acer.

They both use the same fucking bullshit glossy 1366x768 screens. Holy hell I laughed.

I even upgraded the cpu to a i7 720qm, same as his from ebay along with 8gb ram for dirt cheap.
The only differance was his had a hd5850m gpu, and mine had hd6370.

My core2 2,66Ghz with 4GB RAM is enough for everything on the web,

I am using a 1,4GHz AMD processor and 4GB RAM in a Samsung "ultrabook" Ativ book 9 lite laptop with nearly no graphics, from 2014, I even use it to play fucking Fallout 4 on GeforceNow. The Wifi card is shit but I use an external TP-Link Archer T1U 5GHz Wifi card which is only an quarter inch long and I am getting more than enough speed to use GeforceNow with my phone as a router/modem on 4G network and I even get (free open) networks that are hundreds of yards away.

Maybe Jow Forums technicians can explain this for me.
I have two notebooks here, one with a C2D 2 threads and another with a Skylake 4 threads.
There are other differences in hardware, of course, but the biggest difference apart from the CPUs is the SO. The C2D is with Linux and its WAY faster to open things from the system and snappier in general than the Skylake with Windows 10.
Just, how?
Why my newer notebook is slow like this? Surely the C2D wasn't THAT good.

>tfw used old shit win95 desktop from 1995 well into 2000
>tfw used old shit winXP laptop from 2001 well into 2008 (until like 2006, 512MB RAM felt like basically infinite RAM, but I wished the shitty 8MB ATI Rage video in the thing was better the entire time)
>tfw used old shit Vista laptop from 2008 into 2012 (eventually got win7 and ran Ubuntu on it, would still use that machine if I could be arsed to deal with Dell's retarded laptop power supply and power port issues)
>tfw no real reason to change computers since 2012 (typing on this machine now, don't see myself getting a new one any time soon unless someone gives me one)
feels good
like seriously, the only thing that I've even considered upgrading for is games... but I don't play remotely enough games for it to be worth it

If you spend any portion of your day on Jow Forums, you don't value your time enough for the mere moments gained by upgrading to matter.

Core 2 duo with linux is still a pretty good combo to this day, could the boot drive be a factor? i've got an old 128gb sandisk ssd from back when that cost 80 dollars in my latitude E6400 and it's so snappy compared to my main rig with all magnetic storage.

Isn't also a decent GPU needed for a snappy experience? I guess even the best C2D platform would feel laggy with a shit iGPU of that time.

You can think whatever you like - it doesn't change reality.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ax620z-JKEk

All of the 1600-series v1, v2 and v3 Xeons are unlocked. The 2600-series are the locked ones and then all Xeons from v4 onwards are locked.

Attached: cinebench.png (1920x1200, 991K)

Will that mouse fit a x60t???

you mean the touchpad? no

>also a duo2cuo 8400 isn't too comfortable for modern web. i have a couple machines with those and they lag quite a bit
That just means most websites are bloated Javascript ridden pieces of shit.

Oh, nice.
Believe me, I think thats great. I must have confused it with bclk overclocking or something.

Not that it matters much now unfortunately with the prices being that high.

x200s with a 1440x900 panel just came in the mail. c2d still lives

Attached: HPIM1418.jpg (1728x2304, 649K)

I see X79 being goat because DDR3 prices.