Typesetting

Let's have a troff,groff, and Latex thread.
Discuss languages, macros, templates, sperg out about documents, r8 muh resume etc. Text editors shitslinging also welcome.
Links:
>gnu.org/software/groff/manual/groff.pdf
>schaffter.ca/mom/mom-01.html
>texdoc.net/texmf-dist/doc/latex/latex2e-help-texinfo/latex2e.pdf
>scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=xetex (FULL UNICODE TeX W/O PACKAGES)

Pandoc's docx/odt >> LaTeX conversion isn't the best around but it worked fairly well and I was able to repair the compile errors with only a handful of tweaks which is impressive none-the-less.

MD > LaTeX is flawless though. Recently I've started to take notes on Markdown instead and convert that into my LaTeX documents as needed. Admittedly haven't used the troff-like stuff very much yet because LaTeX is super comfy for now.

Attached: 1544320270578.png (755x464, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xm1math.net/texmaker/
youtube.com/watch?v=MRYzPWnk2mE&list=PLxj9UAX4Em-IiOfvF2Qs742LxEK4owSkr
melpa.org/#/getting-started),
fossies.org/linux/misc/groff-1.22.3.tar.gz/groff-1.22.3/contrib/mom/examples/mom-pdf.mom?m=t
schaffter.ca/mom/momdoc/typesetting.html#multicolumns-intro
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

vim-live-latex-preview
End of thread

That's what I currently use, it's made by a chinkku dog, but it works.

How do I use space Macs / or other flavor with latex? Honestly don’t even know how to set this shit up.

You can just install the AUCTeX package on stock emacs.
There's also TeXmaker: xm1math.net/texmaker/

Is it worth the time getting an LaTeX emacs enviroment going?

I use libreoffice to just write the document into odt (shut up and write) then use pandoc to convert to tex for typesetting.

It's kinda satisfying getting an emacs set up working, so if you're interested at all in emacs then give it ago. How much emacs do you know?

Is emacs as superior regarding tex as it seems

>Is it worth the time getting an LaTeX emacs enviroment going?
Yes

>I use libreoffice to just write the document into odt (shut up and write) then use pandoc to convert to tex for typesetting.
Pandoc's ODT to LaTeX is OKAY but it tends to break a lot of things and I'm sure you often have to manually reformat certain things and manually add packages.

The main draw of LaTeX for me is that it has many features that LO doesn't have, such as dynamic section labels for Table of Contents, and an easy way to do bibliographies (and hyperlinking but I don't use that).

It also looks really nice and I can format the entire document in a consistent way without having to go through my entire document and manually define page-breaks, fonts, etc.

Maybe, It depends if you already like Emacs or Vim. You can use LaTeX just as well with neither.

>Maybe, It depends if you already like Emacs or Vim. You can use LaTeX just as well with neither.
I like default vim way more, but I had the impression I could just get evil-mode or something

Not him, but if you want to get work done without having to autistically write specific LISP macros all day, why use emacs at all?

I just know how to move around lol. I honestly want to learn emacs (or maybe vim) and this is a good excuse to do it. Since I hate my current editor (overleaf).

emacs way of handling plugins seems neater
basically, just that
from a noob to another, vim is really worth learning

>Pandoc's ODT to LaTeX is OKAY but it tends to break a lot of things and I'm sure you often have to manually reformat certain things and manually add packages.

I do notice this. I use LO and odt because I don't have to worry about (LaTeX/MD) syntax, I can just re-read it, edit easily (I'm in the humanities so a lot of writing), and send to my supervisor to look/edit.

LaTeX is the document preparation side. So when I'm adding tables, images, diagrams I'll just put placeholders in LO and then insert with LaTeX.

youtube.com/watch?v=MRYzPWnk2mE&list=PLxj9UAX4Em-IiOfvF2Qs742LxEK4owSkr this playlist is good (shitty music). You'll need to watch 1, 2 3. When installing melpa follow the instructions on the melpa website (melpa.org/#/getting-started), i.e. put that code at the top of your .emacs file.

To start LaTeX, as the other user said get the AUCTeX package (M-x list-packages) and open a file (C-x C-f) with the extension .tex and LaTeX major mode should work.

Of course, there's no spell checker, auto-complete, etc, these you will have to add later, but just make sure you get LaTeX barebones working first.

How do i into latex? I use vim already for programming assignments, and libreoffice for writing ones, i'd like to try latex. Where do i start?

Look into vim plugged. It's pretty easy to use. Emacs is really complicated because it's bloat city.

TeXMaker and a template.
Luke Meme Smith also has some videos that you can play in the BG and get a feel for the benefits of it.
Even if you only use it with pandoc (a universal document converter), like that user. It's good because you can see all the formatting and make clean documents since it doesn't hide the formatting from you.

I started setting up LaTeX by installing TeXLive distribution and latexmk on my laptop and then vimtex for doing LaTeX shit on Vim

LOUT
EVERYTHING ELSE IS LITERAL HOMOSEXUAL BLOAT
IF YOUR TYPESETTING SYSTEM IS BIGGER THAN A 5MB C BINARY YOU NEED TO FUCK OFF.
L O U T
O
U
T

Attached: 2018-12-09-1544404348.png (538x641, 144K)

troff is the lightweight standard UNIX typesetter. It's been shitting out Penguin Classic paperbacks and academic research papers since before LaTeX was even a glimmer in some Frenchman's eyes.

No one has even heard of your newage lout trash.

Zathura + vim and a script to compile the pdf on buffer write is enough as Zathura automatically reloads the file on save

calm your autism dude

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}

lout is lighter weight than groff and 100x more powerful.
I'm still waiting for one of you to reproduce pic related in groff.
Just a simple header, a rule, 2 columns aligned UNDER the header and proportional to each other, and a colored background.
It's been 3 threads.

Attached: 2018-12-09-1544399821.png (1049x815, 105K)

Know a tree by its fruit.

Attached: 51TGEPRTDNL._SX377_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (379x499, 27K)

How learn VIM?

`vimtutor` cya in 30 minutes.

>columns
>fossies.org/linux/misc/groff-1.22.3.tar.gz/groff-1.22.3/contrib/mom/examples/mom-pdf.mom?m=t
>schaffter.ca/mom/momdoc/typesetting.html#multicolumns-intro

>background color
Just use the color paper you'd like. Or use LaTeX.

What does Lout do that LaTeX doesn't?

read my post retard, that output is literally impossible with groff no matter the macro package.
Who the fuck prints shit out anymore

>Just use the color paper you'd like. Or use LaTeX.
>What does Lout do that LaTeX doesn't?
>>read my post retard
LOL

Attached: 1544340684206.png (800x600, 21K)

troff was made in a time when UNIX terminals were, at best, monochromatic displays. Troff was an invaluable utility for the publishing industry which was 100% on paper.

LaTeX does the job of rich content well. Lout is nice, but other than being smaller (and incompatible with the existing TeX standard), you haven't shown how it's more expressive than TeX.

read the thread and the user guide

No Miss, you're the Lout expert. You want us to use Lout.
Show that it has superior expressive power to LaTeX.

>Allen
Why are American brainlets unable to tell the difference between e and a?

That looks like shit.

Still waiting for the retard to redpill us on Lout.

>implying english language has true spelling

>simple test doc
IT LUKS LIK SHIT DSKASJDFKASDJF SADF
I actually regret trying to share nice things with you mongoloids.

Stop sperging for a moment and look at a document that's actually nice to look at.

Attached: Neptop_2018_12_11_ 0-29-44-841x948.png (841x948, 2.29M)

is that supposed to be impressive?

Attached: 2018-12-09-1544378466.png (1063x720, 135K)

>putting SmartArt-tier diagramming
>in a TYPESETTING program
Why is there artifacting along the line corners?

>web is written in web itself
wtf?

what's a good foss tool to scanlate manga/doujin?
東軍はいい(とFOSS)のために漫画と同人誌をscanlateする?

So if you are tasked with writing a simple 20 page report with a couple images, tables and diagrams, what would you use?

LaTeX

latex

Word because i'm a brainlet

XML and XSL-FO

lout

Self-hosting compilers are a thing. Freebasic, for example. Or GCC.

the first time I saw a drop cap as a kid I assumed that it meant each line it crosses into starts with that letter and I thought that was really cool but then I read the lines and realized that it only starts the first line. Very disappointing

Libreoffice

This is unironically really attractive and this all being terminal based is such a cool way of going about it

But is it Turing complete?

If you want to show something is good why don't you put at least a little more effort into it? Like some lorem ipsum instead of that pathological document with overtly long words? Looks like shit typography anyway.

lyx

Attached: american subsidence.jpg (400x1000, 196K)

Why you shouldn't use word.

Attached: wordvLaTeX.png (1585x942, 286K)

That was with the same font, this is with default word 2010 font.

Attached: word.png (632x841, 74K)

lout seems nice, but we already have a lightweight GPL'd typesetter that's good enough. If it was on the BSD license, it could actually fill a role that people want.

christ

google docs cause I'm lazy as fuck