Dell IPS or TN?

Not sure whether to get the Dell U2719D, or the S2719DGF.
I'm pretty sure 144hz is worth it, but I would still be using a fucking TN panel like I'm doing right now. IPS would be 60hz only. What do?

Attached: 380851-dell-28-ultra-hd-monitor-p2815q.jpg (1000x1000, 31K)

If you're on Jow Forums it means you use Linux and don't play video games, therefore you should take the IPS

I find IPS more useful and pleasant to use than 144Hz TN.
It's not as "WOW IT'S SO SMOOTH" as commercials says

>I'm pretty sure 144hz is worth it
For maybe.

Buy one or two nice IPS monitor(s) for everything but video games, and buy a 144hz monitor for video games.
144hz is nice, but only if your GPU can actually hit anywhere past 60 FPS.

My pc is about 6 years old at this point, but I have gtx1060 6GB, so I guess it can hit about 70-80 FPS in wqhd, I suppose.

I've got the S2719DGF, mostly because I play Quake.

Decent monitor but was pretty awful clouding on my sample, though I don't have much to compare it with.

It will depends on the game you plays.
I hardly get to 70 fps with a Vega 56 card on GTA5 in wqhd high settings

IPS. Dell makes great monitors. Mine's got some cracking/popping noises going on but i didnt return it cuz i got a good panel kek

I have the TN version and 144hz is very nice.

144hz monitors won't have the color range to support good IPS colors. May as well get the TN for the response times.

IPS are a meme unless you really need color accuracy. Dell TN monitors are actually really good

I went for the trade off: one good 1440p 60hz IPS panel for browsing, videos, 10bit anime (8bit panel) etc. and a 1440p IPS 144hz screen for gaymen. It's comfier to browse the web on 144hz. Aside from the horrendous backlight bleed that IPS suffers from the colors and the viewing angles are worth it until we're blessed with micro-led(?).

>144hz
Why did this become popular? 120hz is such a great refresh rate, directly compatible with 24, 30, and 60, all the commonly used framerates.

I was pondering the same

Pretty sure it just costs nothing for the manufacturers over 120 and looks better on spec sheets. I set mine to 120hz for judder free video.

first post best post

>tfw I fell for the Bitcoin meme a few years ago, its value exploded after that and I was able to buy a dream monitor with the money
>144Hz, 1440p, Freesync, IPS, 4ms, 27"
I never even considered the possibility that the value can go up when I bought some, I just wanted to join in the fun and have a few bucks in virtual currency if I ever find some place that accepts it. Got lucky and got a free monitor. Didn't become a millionaire like some but I'll take it as a win.

Attached: 1447012389955.png (362x362, 42K)

/thread

144hz isn't just for gaming. it's like like liquid on the eyes.

60hz is revolting when you're used it it, even just scrolling and moving a mouse around.

This is why i don't want to test 144hz : i'm scared of being annoyed every time i'll get back to 60hz.

i have a S2716DG (predecessor of the 19DGF) and it looks pretty good, no issues. the black levels are pretty good for TN, too. don't regret grabbing it over the ROG

kys freetard fizzbuzzer

i'm , if you're not well off financially i unironically recommend that you do not buy 144. it looks too good, makes 60hz look shit, and you'll have to run better video cards too to keep it up
it's a jewish trap but it's oh so good

What about the framerate drops : Isn't it annoying to have a framerate which fluctuates constantly?

VA iiyama

no? it's always better than 60, frame time inconsistencies arent as visible as they are on lower framerates
also mine has gsync and the 19 has freesync, so if you're using those it's basically a nonissue

>frame time inconsistencies arent as visible as they are on lower framerates
Just wanted to be sure about this.
Ofc freesync/gsync is a must.

I have one and it has a lot of motion blur...

It's not possible to see the difference between 60 and 144 with human eyes. It's just gaming corporation bullshit and placebo effects. Don't fall for the meme. 60Hz IPS is always better

Get a Dell UltraSharp IPS at whatever resolution your GPU can handle for gaming. TN and >60fps refresh is a meme. Buy an OLED if you want to watch movies with true blacks.

see the va thread on the hard forum
some tricks help, iirc the new rev is better for that

VA

IPS just seems like a meme to me. Why the fuck would I care about viewing angles when I'm always seeing my monitor from the front? Oh wowee colors stay the same when I stand up and look from the side but I don't watch or play stuff from that angle.

Whereas 144Hz would be something you constantly benefit from. You absolute do see the increased framerate. First thing I immediately noticed was how smooth the scrolling was on threads compared to 60fps.

>using smooth scrolling

Gaming a lot - TN
Content creation/viewing a lot - IPS

What you need to NOT do is buy a 27 inch panel unless you're running 4K, which you're obviously not, because I guarantee you're not gonna have a good time and are gonna start spouting 'Dell is shit' on this board with is not true because Dell makes some good shit.
I have both a U2417H and a S2417DG and theyre both great for what I have them doing. If I had to pick only one I'd go with the S2417DH because IMO 165hz > IPS

So you wanna tell me that 27" is too big of a size for a monitor? Why do you think that?

I'm not, you retard. The higher refresh rate + G-sync just makes any motion smoother naturally

>Why the fuck would I care about viewing angles when I'm always seeing my monitor from the front?
Because your viewing angle towards the sides of the screen isn't the same as it is to the center, retard-kun. With a garbage panel colors on the edges will literally not look the same as in the center of the screen.

For 4k, 27 inches is fine. For anything less than 4K, all you're seeing are pixels.

I get IPS because I don't care that much about video jaimes, whenever I play Civ V when I have time 60fps is enough for me.

>implying TN is better for gaming
and by gaming I mean non aspie non CS:GO tournament tier gaming, IPS shits on TN
>far, far better contrast and colors
>zero image angle issues, when I viewed my brother's TN panel head on I could see gray foggy areas on the corners, it was atrocious

IPS with 1ms input latency

Or TN

And it's not like IPS panels don't come with higher refresh rates these days so TN is only for aspies who need 1/100000000th of a millisecond ms for their tournaments

Unless you have an overpriced gaymen rig that can actually reliably hit >60 fps, IPS > meme refresh rates. If you are one of those faggot gamers, go for the TN eye cancer machine and leave for /v/ forevermore.
If you're actually serious about "professional" gaming get a CRT and/or kys.

>CRT
NICE MEME BRO
XB271HU IS ALL A GAMER NEEDS
FACT!!!

IPS is king, lol at anything else