/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: rms.jpg (1280x853, 342K)

First for the OP has was too much useless garbage in it.

hey guys

so I generally only connect to the net after spoofing my mac for shits and giggles, but I've noticed that after connecting to public wifi, my ifconfig wlan0 command shows my original mac

What gives? will ifconfig always give my non-spoofed mac or what?

Cant seem to access my "/" from terminal or gui file manager.
Anytime anything accesses "/" the program simply refuses to list the contents of / or say nano /test.txt just hangs there.
I've already booted in to a live usb and fsck'd the drive, it has no issues and completed with no errors.

Windows uses a DE like aero or metro and they're both better than any linux DE.

I'd take a plain xterm over the UI formerly identifying as metro.

Whats a good Linux distro to start with as a beginner? I want it on a USB stick and to be able to run wine

Metro is a more professional DE than any linux DE.

At this point, it has to be a tumor.

Trying to copy a file/folder with scp to another machine, just can't seem to get it right.

What's the correct syntax?

Attached: 303gyt3.jpg (470x336, 11K)

scp --help

The ui previously known as Metro was definitely [over]designed by professionals in one or more committees.

Ditto. Read the man page even but the syntax is not all clear to me.

scp MyFolder [email protected] -P 12345 /mnt/destination/

Is sys admin a comfy job?

Whats a good minimalist distro without Systemd? All I can think of is Void and Gentoo.

Metro was a treble idea.

Attached: 1451464485425.png (313x213, 46K)

scp -r -P 12345 dir/ user@host:/path/

Can you ls / with sudo?

got fedora and kde I have powerdevil installed however I can't change my screenbrightness via the gui manager or the keybind (fn+f8 and fn+f9) any ideas? full brightness is bright as fuck.

from the last thread. Getting random freezes in Lubuntu at least once a day. Apparently it's a bug others have reported too (found it searching around) but it hasn't been solved yet. Any big-braned Jow Forumsentoomen know what do?

Could it be a hardware issue? I don't think my toaster is overheating, but I've got psensor up to check.

Attached: 1486103739972.gif (858x480, 242K)

please my eyes are burning.

slackware

Im logged in as root.

Does KDE not have a power management widget of some sort?

t. LXQt

>Void and Gentoo.
those are the only good options

I fucking hate GNOME. Finally got Fedora 28 installed. Installed the Nvidia driver from rpm fusion and now fucking GNOME locks up after I log in. It looks like it's a problem with GDM.

i'm not seeing a slider anywhere but what's more annoying is my keybinds (which I've SET to different ones in attempts then reset back to default) are not working. I don't see a slider in power management so I've had to edit a file (intel_backlight) located in /sys/class/backlight/ which is bullshit. If i gotta switch DE's to fix it then fuck it I'll try LXQt

prefer rsync unless it is just one file.

What Linux distro has phone connectivity features

disregard my retardation, apparently the power management in LXQt also lacks a backlight option. Fortunately my Fn keys just werk

unironically ubuntu
You can figure out how to do things yourself, and when you don't want to, it still just werks

Attached: sad.jpg (500x288, 32K)

FUCK IT GIVE ME THE COMMANDS TO CHANGE MY DE AGAIN AND SWITCH TO LXQt

Commands? You should be able to get 'em via your repositories and swap 'em at your login.
Are there no fedora-specific answers on stackoverflow or something?

there are im just lazy

too bad I'm a faggot on Lubuntu or I'd help
>tfw it just werks
>tfw it doesn't and crashes a bunch

I have been interested in Gentoo but I have always been unsure about compile times. Especially for my laptop and I was hoping to get a GPD Win 1 and I would not want to compile updates on a atom cpu.

Install kde connect and run it's indicator if you're not using KDE.

Attached: 1537032263057.jpg (640x480, 44K)

lubuntu's a gud boi

That's strange, any errors in dmesg or journalctl?

No errors,warnings or anything, it just stays caught loading

Full disk, df -h? odd mount flags?

mount | grep 'on / '

Does listing a directory in / directly work?

ls -dl /var

Also

stat /

70% full
ext4 rw,noatime,nobarrier,commit=60
>var
Command works, it seems to only be when indexing / that something catches it and it spends forever loading

command works and completes

What does stat or ls -dl / show for permissions on /, do they have 'x'?

Access: (0755/drwxr-xr-x) Uid: ( 0/ root) Gid: ( 0/ root)

Is bedrock usable? Will i be able to find my problems by googling or is it still too experimental?

Recommend a good Arch-based KDE distro that isn't Arch and isn't Manjaro since Jow Forums hates Manjaro now. Bluestar any good? Antergos?

Considering KDE Neon too but I really want those Arch repos and yaourt.

Then I have no idea. Maybe check any processes accessing /.

lsof +d /

Returns nothing

think you meant to reply to

Sorry, out of ideas.

Anyone use pyload?
Jdownloader shit the bed and im looking for an alternative. Got pyload installed but it dosent actually seem to do anything with the links. Thel ink is a website that has images i want to download, simply loading it up in jdonwloader would solve the problem, but adding it to pyload queue just downloads the html file instead of scrubbing the page for images.

Actually maybe some info could be gathered from which syscall is actually blocking.

strace ls /

What should i be looking for in that output? Its about a hundred lines

If your program is blocking on ls /, it should stop dumping output at some point. Post the last few lines. If it errors that should also be towards the end.

Last few lines are
) = 182
close(1) = 0
close(2) = 0
exit_group(0) = ?
+++ exited with 0 +++

Before that is its fstat writing all of the folders that exist in / and then the previous ouput above

But you just ran ls / and it successfully terminated(exit 0). Do you just get no output?

I ran strace ls / and that was the output,if do ls / or load / in a file manager, they both just hang

How can I install haskell on arch? Nothing I find seems to work.

What have you tried?

thats a lot of smelly people

has anyone here contributed to the kernel?

sudo scp /path/to/local/file remoteusername@ip-address:/path/to/destination/folder

>sudo

>su

I meant there's no reason to run scp as root.

its bad practice

>sudo scp

Attached: wat r u doing.jpg (640x360, 68K)

Stallman's belly is bloated

What are the advantages of KDE Neon over Manjaro KDE?

Is there a command to regenerate fstab on a system?
I moved my home partition to a new installation but it doesn't boot anymore.

Attached: 1533977828676.jpg (537x594, 45K)

Nothing. Don't use KDE.

I like KDE. XFCE is tolerable if your computer is shit, LXDE is okay if your computer is REALLY shit, and GNOME is shit.

genfstab /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab
you'd know this if you had installed your system by hand. its crucial to arch installation

What if I'm currently using a recovery usb to boot my system?

LXDE is perfect for themeing your PC like Windows and XFCE is perfect for themeing your PC like macOS X. No reason to use any other DE. For your own aesthetic, go with a WM (IceWM if you are experienced, OpenBox if you are new)

Yeah.
CTRL + ALT + F4
login as live
type 'sudo su'
then 'genfstab /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab'

If I wanted to pretend to run Windows or Mac I would just do that. I want my DE to look like KDE.

>if i wanted my environment to be nice without all the winbloatshit, id just install winbloatshit
high iq

Not every install needs to minmax to save a few MB of RAM. I have a robust system and I want to use that power to make my computing experience enjoyable. Go fuck yourself and I will ask again tomorrow.

I'm not even worried about minimalism. I have a winxp theme for my lxde. Thats all i was looking for. Lxde was the best candidate to for it.

I'm glad you found what you were looking for. I wish you would help me find what I am looking for. It's fine that you enjoy LARPing like it's 2004 but I personally want this particular desktop to look modern. I have real old hardware to LARP on.

>no such file or directory
What do you mean by login as live?

What theme and how did you install it?

is it possible to extract a partially complete file that is inside an uncompressed zip file? And how would I do it if I could?

Is it possible to change subpixel layout depending on the monitor? I have a vertical monitor and would like my fonts to be less rainbow-y. I'm on KDE.

I'm fucking losing it. I am trying to get Linux up and working on my machine and the video card seems to choke it up everytime. I've been through Fedora, suse, and mint so far. I am so fucking close to just sending Red Hat their blood tithe to get this shit up and running for me. Are they any distros that are known for having an easy time with Nvidia bullshit? I am fucking losing it here.

Throw that piece of garbage out.
Get a GPU that actually respects your freedoms.

This is the shit right here that is driving me up the wall. Placing activism over practicality. When I was trying to fix a botched nvidia install on Fedora(from their own fucking repos) one of the threads was literally that suggestion, just throw out the GPU and use something else. I hate Nvidia, but I don't have a fucking choice. Maybe I will in the future, and I look forward to buying a GPU from anyone but Nvidia, I don't have that luxury right now. Right now I need Nvidia and Linux to play along, or at least pretend to.

>Placing activism over practicality
AMD is by far the most viable choice is both "activism" and practicality.

except my two of my software packages don't support the opensource driver, and has features that are cuda only. So It's not fucking practical in this use case. Shits a fucking mess.

Why don't linux devs come up with something creative like openbsd devs? Artworks? songs?

Attached: cdaudio2.gif (570x571, 137K)

If it shows your real MAC, then you didn't spoof it correctly.

Android

Linux got really creative with filesystems like squashfs and three (3) kinds of union mount.

Linux is just a kernel.

words out of my mouth

tell me about that distro you like

How would I use sed to remove just the last pair of parentheses and everything between them from a string? thing (first set)(second set) to thing (first set)

sed 's/([^()]*)$//'

Worked perfectly, thanks