/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Single edition edition.

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>A plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: ThinkCats3.jpg (3024x4032, 966K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=582861
pastebin.com/FjFQidt7
pastebin.com/CbbweyqT
pastebin.com/pXJsLqdW
bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1366889
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=207114
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/linux/ bug/1420290
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

lolis

First for T430.

Attached: Thinkpad %430.png (1170x998, 3.36M)

should be

fpbp

>libreboot w500 arrives on wednesday

Attached: 0cc.jpg (633x640, 47K)

R8 my temporary setup.

Literally everything I own, besides 2 suitcases of stuff, is being shipped and I won't have anything for 70 days.
I have my x240, dock, lenovo keyboard, anti CTS mouse, and headset to talk to frens. I scrounged the monitor locally for free.

Pretty comfy for shitposting tbqh.

Attached: 20181210_190428.jpg (4032x2268, 519K)

What benefits would come from owning a W520 over a T420?

Attached: W520-3qtr-MR-e1316721663209.jpg (534x430, 50K)

better cooling, stronger graphics, more ram, and OEM 1080p screens

>Vertical mouse
I've always wondered how those compare to trackball mice, but my trackball is pretty ergonomic so I haven't really looked into it that much.

Not garbage screen. Mandatory Quadro, if you're into that sort of thing. A beefier power supply, if you're into overclocking your laptop. A T520 is a good middle-ground between the two, but I'm averse to dedicated graphics cards in Thinkpads.

If it's a trackball that you hold in the same fashion as a vertical mouse, then they will probably be equally ergonomic.
The idea is that a traditional flat mouse makes your forearm bones scissor, and holding that position squeezes your carpal tunnel and stresses your joints.

Any models that don't look like autist-tier bricks?

Anything T440's gen or later looks fine.
If you're really concerned about what other people think of your laptop, perhaps you should consider a MacBook?

What the fuck are you doing with windows on there

kill yourself autistic freetard

I thought the same thing. Really though why do you have 10 and not 7? Do you hate freedom?
You can run a few scripts to return the privileges that the admin should have by default (takeownership &c.). & is just categorically less terrible than 10.

my think pad comes on thurs day

>making things hard for yourself

what'd you get?

>hard
how?
it just werks

Got the x230 tablet
What would be a reasonable price range for one that looked unused?

My dad's giving me a ThinkPad since he has no general use for it but I have no clue what model it is. Should I just sell it on eBay/then accumulate enough for a x200?

the model should be on the bottom of the lid or above the keyboard bezel

I tried several different linux distros, along with powerTOP and other utilities, but I just couldn't get Linux to match the power efficiency of windows.

Also VSTs are for Windows.

What's the point of battery life if there's no point in having your computer on?

A computer on Windows is just the rich man's smartphone: web-browsing, youtube, and fortnight BUT AT A DESK.

What's the best FOSS wifi card I can use with my Thinkpad x201?

Install tlp.

Found a cheap T440s on Ebay, apparently it has a touchscreen.
Is that model able to fold over into a tablet? I've seen pictures of it folding completely flat on a table, but no extension past that. What's the point of a touchscreen laptop that can't be used like a tablet?

it doesn't fold, only thinkpad yogas do that iirc

What's the point of having a touchscreen then? If you've got it set up on a table, isn't the mouse always going to be a superior input device?
Is it just a gimmick?

I have no idea, I don't see the point either yet many regular laptops have touchscreens on them

upgrading from W530 to X1 Extreme. tell me if I'm making a mistake

Attached: lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-x1-extreme-hero.png (725x515, 308K)

for me it's the x 6 0

Attached: x60.jpg (668x501, 51K)

value wise sure, otherwise nah

You dd not provide a definition of value. Your suggestion is too ambiguous. It reeks of consumerism.

woah there buddy. tell us what you really think

Which thinkpad is good if I only use Win10?

Attached: 1512387386093.jpg (900x893, 305K)

literally any

The screen is beautiful, the cooling is far superior and you have USB 3.0 support across the board. Aside from that, there is really not much of a benefit.

To be honest, the Quadro graphics card has very limited applicability at this point, especially the K1000M (which I have in my W520). The Skylake integrated graphics have bested this card, and of course nVidia and Lenovo have not released proper Windows 10 drivers. That's not a problem for me since I still use this machine with Win 7, but your Windows OS upgrade paths are kind of nonexistent if you want the card to work properly. It's better than the Sandy integrated graphics, and was worthwhile having until maybe 2015 or so, but they're just not powerful enough to do heavy lifting anymore, which is why companies blew out all their W520s after ~4 years. Personally, I do all my CAD work either on my home desktop (with a GTX 1060) or my company's workstations. I complain that the cheap Jew bastards who run my company haven't bothered upgrading the Quadro K2200s in our HP Z440 workstations, but even those garbage cards are massively more powerful than the K1000M.

what should I do for a second stick of ram in my T420?

buy a stick of RAM

Buying first TP. X or T series?

I'd say X but i'm a 153cm manlet so YMMV.

I'm a 179 cm manlet and went for X, should've gotten the T in hindsight. 12" is just too smol for most usage

None, go ask /v/.

seething freetard

Is there an option similar to W541 that has a centered trackpad?

t.brainlet

Free software too complicated faggot?

Attached: 10675548_1800269846705759_4089091189725989815_n.jpg (960x540, 32K)

I'm thinking of buying a Lenovo Thinkpad L380 i7 - 8GB - 256GB SSD
Am I making a good decision?

Anything I should know before swapping the touchpad of my T440s? Is there a guide somewhere?

>L
No.

Your back will thank you. Your wallet won't.

Would love an update from the guy who recently got a w701ds :3

i dropped it

i ate it

>finally get my x61t
>want to flash the BIOS to remove the whitelist
>doesn't have a 32-bit version of windows installed
>the bootable ISO doesn't work
>external CD drive I have doesn't want to work
Now I'm downloading a 32-bit copy of win7 all for one thing. What distro should I put on there when I'm done with all this?

Is the floor okay?

>x61t
a best
- posted from mine

Unfortunately both batteries and the wireless card are toast

bummer
I get around 4h out of mine, also replaced the stock wlan card with one salvaged from a NUC.

aww yea x200s w/ 1440x900 showed up today. $43

Attached: HPIM1418.jpg (1728x2304, 649K)

Damn nice deal. Looks to be in top shape too :)

I got my x230t from eBay but the seller but in the HHD without a caddy, how the fuck do I get it out?

Attached: IMG_20181211_151500.jpg (4160x3120, 1.63M)

Just got an x200 & r400 from a flea market near me. After about a week I've come to like using them at home more so than my more modern laptops, but I'll stick to my surface book for school.

just pull it out
then upgrade to an msata ssd so you can use two drives

Attached: 4c9.jpg (646x666, 291K)

Mine came the same way

try forking it up by the screws with 2 screwdrivers or anything that will fit in the grooves.

You might be able to literally slap it out.

Its not working. I cant get a good grip on it. Can i just take of the casing to get to it?

Please help. After some time without a proper restart, suspend to disk does not work, my graphics performance goes to shit. Before I had 60 fps in glxgears, with vsync, now I have 14 fps. Playing a youtube video in the background can get it up to 40 fps but not 60 fps.
But it's not only glxgears, running man glxinfo took 10 seconds and firefox is pretty slow so it has to be the processor too.
I tried looking it up on google, duckduckgo, the gentoo forums, the arch forums and all I could find is a bug report from 2014 that is pretty similar to what I have but is marked as WONTFIX. bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=582861
Please help I really wan't to fix this.

I have a x200 tablet with a sl9400 and a GM45 graphics accelerator running gentoo.
uname: Linux x200t 4.14.83-gentoo #4 SMP Tue Dec 11 03:38:05 EET 2018 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU L9400 @ 1.86GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
Kernel .config: pastebin.com/FjFQidt7
glxinfo: pastebin.com/CbbweyqT
dmesg: pastebin.com/pXJsLqdW
PS. I just looked at my dmesg for the pastebin and it's not looking good.
PPS. I looked some of this stuff on duckduckgo and all I could find is this:
bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1366889
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=207114
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/linux/ bug/1420290
TLDR of links: blah blah blah WONTFIX :^)
PPPS. Weren't thinkpads supposed to play nice with linux?
TLDR of everything: Please read it my thinkpad is dying.

Attached: screenshot.png (1280x800, 30K)

I got today a T42 for free, ideas? I'm installing gentoo rn

I have a t420 and x220 both 4 gb ram, do you guys think I would be able to take my ram from my t420 and make x220 8 gb? I'm not really familiar with ram shit

Attached: 1481192376385.png (600x399, 291K)

sure why not

>can't flash the BIOS with a dead battery
Well, looks like I'm getting a new battery unless I can trick it into charging. Any battery recommendations for a x61t? Looks like they're $40 for a knockoff. Not paying $200 for a Lenovo branded one.

Depends. If they're both 1x4gb you can, but more likely they're 2x2gb and you can't.

Of course, and you'll find that it's a lot better, 4GB isn't enough for anything these days.
Has to be like said though, you've only got two slots in there

Who gives a fuck

aliexpress

is there anywhere cheap to buy ram? chink ram? i need to get 16gb ddr3 for my t450s

if only we had a general for chinkshit

what's your problem?

Ok, I found a youtube video and switched it. But the touchpad is completely broken now, the mouse moves randomly to the left side of the screen all the time. I assume this is an issue with the connections, and not a driver issue? (I bought the worse T450s touchpad)

How the fuck do I take the top shield off my x230t?

Attached: IMG_20181211_165046.jpg (4160x3120, 2.14M)

qt3.14

nvm fixed it

just reinstall?
by the way how long does the kernel + Xorg take to compile on a low voltage c2d?

what happened to the buying guide?
t. /tpg/ newfag

see "modern models" -- prices not included because they vary a lot depending on how long you're willing to wait and what country you're in; you can see completed listings to see how much people recently paid on Ebay

it was very outdated

When will my x220 be obsolete

Attached: 1544501715025.jpg (850x687, 113K)

Is anyone familiar with Thinkpad issues and repairs? I have an old T420 with a nice keyboard and screen and shell but it has a problem with the monitor disconnecting and reconnecting constantly every so often, making the system pretty much unusable. I've cleaned the system out and made sure all the connections are good, but the problem persists.

It's not the OEM T420 screen, are there known issues like this for third party screens or is it potentially a motherboard issue? Is there any quick easy solution, or should I just buy another 420?

the screen cable may need to be replaced

I just bought what might be a hosed Thinkpad at a yard sale, assuming blasting the usual parts with a heatgun doesn't fix it, who's signature is this?

Attached: DSC_0005.jpg (1000x599, 146K)

Can someone red pill me on hardware level back doors and weaknesses given Lenovo is a mainland company? Why even bother with Linux when any random fuck in China can access your computer over the network given they have architecture blue prints straight from Lenovo?

cool it with the autism

Attached: 1527944535435430653828.png (707x786, 126K)

ThinkPads are designed in japan

Can I post my Thinkpad if I don't run Linux?

I do, win10 never fails to make the freetards mad.

i also have a dock. does your fan get loud when you use the dock? seems like it's blocking off cooling.

what was the problem?

good thread

Attached: anon's mobile computing setup.png (1046x1112, 558K)

you'll never find out :^)

but seriously now it's what causes 99% of obscure gentoo bugs. a bad kernel config