Computer only has UEFI boot and no Legacy/Bios option

>Computer only has UEFI boot and no Legacy/Bios option.
The state of technology in almost 2019

Attached: Desu_is_not_pleased.gif (327x251, 995K)

Based and redpilled

Install LTSC, it has WSL so you can rice the shit out of your desktop too.

Why would you need legacy boot in 2019 anyway?

Install Gentoo

I don't really want to use windows desu. That's why I'm trying to install Linux but the PC has no legacy bios mode. So I'm stuck on a dead end.

installing things which aren't compromised from the get-go

I tend to distrohop alot and want to be able to install any Linux distro I really like to try out.

What do you mean by this?

Or you can install GNU/Linux and use the real deal instead of GNU/NT.

It's not like there are distros without uefi boot possibility in 2018 anyway.

Yeah but I don't want to use Fedora.

LTSC isn't regular windows, it's a stripped down version of it with like 90% of the botnet already removed, you just have to disable a few services/group policy stuff and you're good to go.

Are you retarded?

I managed to remove everything on the original version of Windows 10 already. Not like it is going to be different.

Almost all distros support uefi boot. What are you smoking?

Aren't you?

Then I guess it might be an hardware problem since no USB are detected when I try to boot on UEFI.

>no USB are detected when I try to boot on UEFI.
this might be a toggle you're missing and not an actual issue

Unless you're really good with powershell then no you didn't. See appx bs

Well no security is perfect. And Windows is sure not the most secure OS in the world.

For booting from usb

Try googling your mobo model or laptop some of them have a hardcoded wangblows path that it tries to boot from

Except LTSC is at least amongst all the other windows versions. Microshaft specifically created it to be as secure as possible, doesn't push out BETA features like on standard windows to it, and since it's meant for things like cash registers has very little telemetry when you set it to "basic".

Do not fall for the LTSC meme.
LTSB is still the best one.

Like I said I don't really plan running Windows.

What did you use to make the boot disk? Ive had some troubles with using some USB drives and accidentally formatting them as GPT instead of MBR and certain BIOS just dont like it.

Try making a bootable drive with Rufus?

Alright. Install your choice of distro, but now you can use a signed efistub instead of GRUB.

I tried to run Devuan and make a bootable with rufus using the GPT format. In the end it didn't detect my USB.

Did you try without GPT? my laptop refuses to attempt to boot from GPT.

You're doing something wrong

I just wrote the standard 64-bit Mint image to a stick and it boots in UEFI mode if I ask it to

I tried too. It didn't boot properly either, I think it might be a kernel issue. Since the cpu is recent and I even had an hard time installing ubuntu mate, and other distros.

Did you turn off all secure boot shit you can find?

You shouldn't turn it off, but instead add your own signing key generated on a separate machine you keep safe/add your distribution's if they make use of it.

Fucking this
But you should turn it off at the install phase anyway or you simply won't be able to boot

Yes I did disable it. The USB is still not detected.

I agree, but for the sake of booting into the thing i was thinking of just eliminating every problem i can think of.
Well shit, whats the actual device?

Acer Aspire 3 laptop.

Why can't the industry come up with a decent bios option? Why did they agree on uefi?

Because Apple has the big money.

Some people report that setting a supervisor password in BIOS opens up more secure boot options, and that updating the BIOS solves some problems including grub. did you try those?

Yes I did. Been troubleshooting that computer for over a week now. There seems to be only one distro that currently work from all of those I tried and it is Fedora Workstation. Since normally I prefer to avoid the systemd init, I'll rather stay away from it.

You can use UEFI to boot from USB
It's no harder to boot from UEFI than BIOS if you know what you are doing