System fuck up

Be honest Jow Forums, when was the last time you fucked up your system, what did you did and how recover it?

Attached: Da104bgVQAAOJbD.jpg (357x357, 17K)

I installed Gentoo

I installed Windows and the system corrupted after windows updated

I set the system language to Russian to help with my learning, but then when exams came around I tried to change it back and it wouldn't work, even using PowerShell resulted in the language defaulting to Russian whenever I rebooted the system. In the end I did a clean install of Windows and that solved the issue, plus a few smaller niggling issues I had anyway.

It wasn't corrupted, it was working just as designed.

>When was the last time you fucked up your system
Installed windows
>How did you recover it?
Installed Arch

Attached: boop.jpg (903x960, 45K)

>what did you did and how recover it
I always have an arch iso on my usb which I can chroot over and recover data if needed. never felt safer.

Woah so this is the power of Wangblows

>Arch
>Update
>Initramfs broken, won't boot
>Mounted system on installation USB, chrooted in and fixed it
>Another update
>Screen goes black whilst booting
>After much head scratching, turns out the CPU's integrated graphics and my GPU are fucking each other up
>Mount system on installation USB, chroot in
>Blacklist kernel modules for integrated graphics
>Next update
>Won't boot
>Switched to Debian

Attached: 1544031116406.png (736x616, 21K)

>how recover it?
daily backups with Macrium Reflect to 3 locations
>seperate disk for backups
>NAS in my house
>offsite NAS

so anything that happens, I'm up and running again in a max of 30 minutes

>this thread
>all archfags and wangblows
the memes are real

Attached: 1544026748023.png (900x900, 647K)

When Nvidia released some buggy drivers, it was fixed after a few hours with second update.

if by wangblows you mean one troll, one maybe troll and one russian shill, then sure.

I used my cum instead of thermal paste. Desperate times beget desperate measures.

Tried debian dist-upgrade from 6 to 7. Package manager seemed to resolve all things clean, but i catched kernel panic after reboot. Booted with old kernel only to save data and install centos.

Never, maybe I'm lucky or not stupid. Even when I tried Ubuntu I didn't break anything, it came pre broken so I kept fixing different things until I had enough. Only two computers and three operating systems though, don't understand how you guys break everything all the time.

t. Wintoddler

I never fucked it so hard that I couldn't chroot in and fix w/e I needed to. I think the worst I fucked up was my boot partition at some point and I didn't know a whole lot about it. Still though, I fixed it in chroot with a little reading.

>fuck around with friend's laptop
>"haha your language changed to polish on its own lol"
>we laugh
>he tries to change it
>no luck
>I try to change it
>wont change back
>"G-guess ill reinstall you windows"
I dont think ive sweated that hard in my life.

Attached: ебать-ты-лох.jpg (1280x720, 38K)

I don't even know of any hard fuckup, shit has been pretty stable. I guess a small recent one was when I accidentally updated sysvinit in an @world update, which caused it to replace my custom /sbin/init and related commands, which were intended to make my system fully OpenRC. Guess I should get to writing my own ebuild for sysvinit.

>when was the last time you fucked up your system
Windows Update
>what did you did and how recover it
Installed Arch Linux, never had a problem with it, if we don't count the VFIO flipflop they did with 4.18 and 19 iirc

same

>when was the last time you fucked up your system
Debian 9. Last week. Ran apt --dist-upgrade and it deleted almost all my packages and created a version hell that broke all of apt.
>how recover it
I didn't. Loaded manjaro on a flash drive. Booted into live and backed up my home folder from my ssd to the hard drive and wiped the ssd.

>what did you did
I've learned English

rush b cyka blyat'

Had been using Arch for six months, was making updates once every two-three weeks until recent one. There was something with media drivers, vlc begun to crash, firefox was crashing on media plays, core dumps and crashes all over the place, and I was using it with i3 + few personal applications, nothing beyond that. Eventually I wasn't able to boot from grub, so I decided to switch to Cent OS.
Has anyone encounter smth before? Could it've been kind of virus attack or just bugs?

Don't remember exactly what was wrong but it was a few months ago and all I had to do was boot a live USB, chroot, and pacman -Syu

Who the fuck you calling a troll you nigger?

stop I can't unsee this

sudo chmod 777 -r /.

did it in 2014 because of habit of using ./ instead of just .

I ctrl+c'd within a second or so but it had already nuked my perms. I saved what I needed and reinstalled.

i made way too small / partition on my very first install so shit simply broke in middle of update 3 months later. (i've had very similar issue with windows 10 once lel)

the other time i had to reinstall nvidia drivers after the update and restart because them niggers had moved drivers for my card to '-legacy' branch

honestly i don't get the arch is unstable meme. i find it quite reliable for everyday use, even when recklessly installing shit from AUR.

Attached: 1543243142439.jpg (232x250, 7K)

just did. Was merging partitions when the soft sharted and fucked 1Tb worth of files. Unsalvageable. My whole life was on there. Just said fuck it nuked everything else on my drives and made a fresh start.

fucked my system cause i wanted to have kali linux to dual boot with my arch install to practice with my hackers playbook book. I knew it was a horrible idea but. I really wanted to have kali linux installed. Cause i didnt want to have to make a persistence file or plug the usb in every time i wanted to learn hacking /pentesting.

What happened?
Kali linux decided to give my bootloader a redo with their shitty logo and take over control. giving me a kernel panic not syncing everytime i tried to boot arch.

How did i fix it?
removed kali linux chrooted into my arch install and then reinstalled grub.

On Arch, installed a Twith plugin for VLC and on reboot X failed to start because nouveau wouldn't load. Fix: I said "fuck it" and installed Manjaro instead. It just worked.

>last time you fucked up your system?
Last week, installed a new kernel, which nuked my video card driver.
>what did you did and how recover it?
Booted into CLI and restored from my /based/ Timeshift backup.

Kek, I know the feeling user

Turned off developer options on a rooted samsung phone..
So stuck in frp lock.

So I flashed new android stock rom on it, losing all my data

Can't remember the time that happened. I use Arch btw

>Windows
eww

1 month ago
Waited a week or two
Did an update
Worked.

>this thread

Why would you want to update if *everything just works*?

Two words: Security Updates

>he doesn't funpost with bleeding edge software

Attached: 88f65b1a.jpg (1920x1080, 206K)

Tried to set up veracrypt system encryption on a uefi board. Couldn't access my bios setup. Fixed it by unplugging my drives to get to the bios setup and plugging them in after booting an install disk and reinstalling.

Last time was when I had a dying hard drive that constantly corrupted system files. But I honestly don't see myself solving the problem any differently (reinstalling the complete OS) for any situation I would classify as "fucked." It takes about an hour to reinstall an OS and all important programs.

While I was blackout drunk about a month ago, I decided to cave and install gentoo. I woke up to a brick

user error

I am afraid I will do this one day

Imagine losing your Jow Forums nerd points due to your desire to make fvcking twitch more convenient

Attached: Sam Hyde Top Job.png (403x672, 376K)

> caring about Jow Forums nerd points
I don't have an image that properly conveys my disgust for you as a human being

I was already not really enjoying the Arch experience. I found myself spending forever installing stuff that I had become accustomed to from Manjaro anyway.

>spending forever installing stuff
>arch
The fuck are you talking about? It's literally just sudo pacman -S nameofpackage and a confirm and it's done.

>pacman fucked up my xfce start menu
>no documentation for any of the errors

Attached: 1542632324951.png (640x636, 529K)

Why would pacman all of a sudden do that? Don't be stupid.

I dunno I booted into manjaro yesterday, everything was fine, sudo pacman - Syued, some pesky python libraries refused to be updated and stopped my updating so I deleted them figuring pacman would replace the files, updated everything and then the xfce start menu disappeared off my task bar and when I run it off the terminal I get some esoteric error about my audio driver button even though it functions just fine

>installed openSUSE to dual boot
>needed disc space
>deleted openSUSE partition
>windows refuses to boot
>nothing goes past the bios
>oh no nothing will boot
>oh no nothing happening
>oh no computer is completely unresponsive
>displays "No boot device" over and over again
>crying
>not even my anime pillows will comfort me
>going through existential dread
>decide to pull myself out of the depths of suicidal depression
>ask online for help
>retards do not read past the part of my description where it says "computer will not respond to keyboard"
>question everything
>think to myself, "how can tech forum users be this retarded? is the internet really this useless?"
>go to friend's house
>finds me in utter disrepair
>offers blowjob, blowjob does nothing
>we google solutions together
>find obscure solution from 2000 forum post about windows XP master boot record getting deleted by accident when Linux partitions are erased
>fuck it might work
>download WINDOWSMBR.EXE from some website
>put windows MBR my computer using USB SATA HD connector
>it works
>never ever partition or dual boot on a machine again
>refuse to ever install a Linux distro again

>Syued
Dafuq does this do?

-Syu but in the past tense

>Notice a few kernel options missing over the course of a week or two when looking to install thing X on my laptop
>Never hooked up so just make the change and think "i'll do that at home"
>Eventually do it
>Powertop breaks, bumblebee breaks, brightness controls break, wifi breaks
>Have no idea what the hell I screwed up, just revert to the old kernel
>Still haven't bothered to fix it

Attached: fp.gif (350x233, 2.21M)

Replaced nouveau with proprietary nvidia drivers
Did a fresh install of debian to recover.

>update lubuntu using the updater in its start menu
>
>
>
>

I once fucked up my bootloader while trying Ubuntu for the second time in 2005 or so. Had to stay on Linux for an entire month because I couldn't figure out how to fix it and didn't want to reinstall Windows (fully switched to Linux in 2009 though).
Also lost data once due to a hard drive failure without having backups.

fucked up the hard drive on a laptop installing lubuntu bc my dumbass thought it would be a good idea to partition the very hard drive that i mounted it on

Well, was he any good at that bj?

fucked up an llvm fde luks fedora install after installing multiple desktop environments, forgetting about it for a year, then trying to dnf system-upgrade after the support period ended

it went better than expected, i was able to recover my /home from a fedora rescue usb

i tried manjaro openrc, tried updating it not realizing it was no longer supported, and bricked my computer

i had one of those old inspiron laptops with a HDD that had a fucked up sector and would crash my kde4 install every few minutes. i fixed the issue by shrinking the partition around it and felt like such a hacker

it was awful. I was so upset that I couldn't get my dick hard.

For some reason my BTRFS partition switched to read only when waking the system up from sleep. 4chin wasn't any help neither was Google.

Just reinstalled and stuck with Ext4.

For fun I set the windows DPI to 500% and the resolution to 800x600. Totally fucked up my shit. Could only fit the start button onto the screen. Fixed it by doing a registry tweak using the winPE

Meanwhile in Manjaro it's
>nameofapplication
and it's running

I appreciate minimalism and specifically tailoring your packages but it wasn't what I needed at the time.

>Replaced nouveau with proprietary nvidia drivers
This fucked my first Manjaro KDE install, but in reverse.

>have Arch on a Thinkpad T430
>buy a cable miniDP-HDMI to be able to connect it to a TV
>nothing is happening and DE's monitor settings won't recognize anything being plugged in
>google around and install xrandr
>nothing is happening and I have never used that program before
>edit some configs according to google but it doesn't help
>try to install newer Nvidia drivers
>try to install Nouveau instead of Nvidia
>end up messing up xorg so much that even uninstalling everything I've done and going back won't give me my DE anymore
>I'm now stuck with CLI and reinstalling xorg doesn't work, it gives some error
>I guess I'll have to reinstall the whole OS so I don't have to fight with this any longer
>but first I should try Ubuntu to see how it works with my TV
>install Ubuntu and TV works out of the box
I don't have that laptop anymore but I'm using Debian nowadays since everything works like in Ubuntu. OP pic is pretty much me. I'll leave Arch for other people. Arch wouldn't have crashed on me if I didn't break it myself but it also never worked in a way I tried using it.

I use mint so i never have to recover anything.

your config was borked from the begining

Why would you learn russian when you already sspeak american? America is the wealthiest country in the world theres no point in learning europoor languages.

>implying they have meetings

>A month ago after -Syu.
> Reinstall.

Swapped repos to debian testing to get a package I wanted.
Next time I start up my computer my display manager nor gnome will start up.
Wanted to switch to Arch anyway so I just transferred everything worth saving to a usb and installed arch.