Is pic related as bad...or as good as people say?

Is pic related as bad...or as good as people say?

Attached: 81428124812.png (512x512, 8K)

It is programming for niggers if used as a standalone.
It is good if used in other software i.e. IDA pro.

Also it is a stack machine so it doesnt even use the general purpose registers (rax rbx rcx etc...) on your cpu so it will be pretty slow.

Python is good because it is general purpose and widely deployed in many contexts (science, data analysis, machine learning, web development, automation), has a ton of good libraries and simple syntax that makes it easy to learn and use.

That being said, it’s not necessarily the best language for any one scenario and what it wins in ease of use it suffers in speed. It’s high-level, so you of course won’t be doing anything too close to the hardware. Depends on what your ends are. It’s a good language to learn as a beginner because it’s easy and can be used for many things which means it’ll get you writing code quickly. If it excels in any area it’s as a scripting language for none-developer people like systems or networking guys looking to automate some tasks.

I think a lot of the hype/praise is a result of an echo chamber around the large crowd of new people learning code and preaching about the gospel of their first language being “the best ever”, and the badmouthing/backlash comes from people who recognize that Python is not necessarily *the best* at anything.

Pragmatically speaking, it’s a good language insofar as you can built stuff that works.

If it wasn't for bullshit memes like deep learning and "IA" this garbage shit tier of a language would be dead already

>memes

Great for scripting, shit for actual applications.

>happiness is a function of expectations

It really depends on your expectations and your needs. For a scripting language its not the worse, but there are better options out there. It is in wide use so it has good support, huge user base, and lots of libraries/modules.

As they say a poor craftsman blames his tool. Pick the right tool for the job. You wouldn't want to unscrew a Phillips screw with a wrench and blame wrenches for being bad.

dubs of truth

the language itself is the ultimate example of badness, yet it can be incredibly handy and won it's popularity

how about you go learn it yourself and form your own fucking opinion

Most underrated backend language

Safest language for WEB applications

it makes Jow Forums seethe with rage because it's trivial to create a useful program with python, thus ruining the illusion for Jow Forums that programming is some special snowflake activity that only big-brains can do.

Its a very good language and can suit many applications , not to mention where python lacks there will most likely be a c lib to step in and do some heavy lifting.

Good for:
>web(asyncio,django,flask)
>ai(tensorflow,keras)
>largedatasets(numpy,cython)

Bad:
>still quite slow unless you do lots of cpython but most things you will be dealing with are i/o bound so it doesn't matter that much
>using multiprocessing to get around the gil costs quite a bit of ram(but it is really easy)

Attached: 530.png (640x360, 195K)

holy fuk

to my Jow Forums pasta it goes.

This is a blessed thread

Attached: 1445598756958.jpg (602x481, 47K)

tips3trip
holy terry

Based Python bringing in the 4chin magic with its high level abstractions

It's a very good language for many use cases, which of course is enough to trigger Jow Forums spergs to oblivion.

Good if you want to be a web goblin working in permanent overtime without management.

Attached: Maid Dragon - 01.mp4_snapshot_01.44_[2018.12.09_18.13.37].jpg (1280x720, 106K)

I don't like it.
Maybe it is cool, but I prefer working manually with memory, even in 2k18.

This thread is indeed blessed!

Attached: tGfEZmb (2018_04_21 16_58_55 UTC).png (400x400, 30K)

>bragging about writing malloc and free
People solving actual, real world problems have no time for this shit.

Attached: 1443363079566.jpg (525x788, 49K)

This thread is actually magical , what is going on?

prettygood
this one was always just a tiny bit too subtle

Attached: python.png (2000x1334, 630K)

This thread actually makes me want to learn it

Based Pythonfag dabbing on Cfags

>writing actual, non mobile applications in 2019
It's not your place grandpa

Dirty prototypes can be done in whatever language you want.
Real™ Deal should be done properly.

If you need to make a fast program, you use C/C++.
If you need to make a program fast, you use python.
And you will need both.

We have golang for that.

Yikes

Python without tensorflow would be dead,aside from general scripting and learning basics is pretty much useless.Only fags use it irl

Yes i am sure Python is the third most popular language cause everyone is doing AI

Not because everyone is doing AI,but because it's literally English that tells the computer what to do.That's trash imo

What did you want, Chinese?

Attached: 1537684703192.png (389x353, 6K)

/ourlanguage/

No,but that would be interesting tho.
Anyway,for it sucks because it's just too slow overall.People can literally write in anything they won't I don't really gives a shit,but don't say it's a good language just because it's easy to learn lol

I went retard for a minute and misspelled the shit out the last message,rip

>muh performance once again
Anyone who argues against Python bringing up performance is truly intellectually dishonest.
If you want actual, OMGTHATSTOOFAST performance, of course you don't want to use Python. But quite often, you don't.
It's a good language because it's very high level, powerful and intuitive, allowing you to build stuff quickly, but more importantly, glue up and coordinate other programs.
Take a look at qutebrowser. Despite being written in Python, it is faster and uses less memory than Firefox, because it uses QtWebEngine do the "heavy lifting".

Fortune smiles upon you.

Based python!

I use Python in conjunction with my microcontroller using the nanpy libraries, it works great for that, although you do need to know a bit of C to translate some of the code to Python code which is pretty easy since Python and C have near similar syntax.

BLESSED

Attached: durmp.jpg (1100x619, 59K)

actually python is very fast because it takes less time to type a program. Especially useful if you're only going to use it a few times.

Oh never thought about that,I guess you are kinda right

This.

Sometimes I just need some tedious work done with a bunch of files or Excel data or writing of HTML code. Python gets me through but I doubt I'll be whiteboarding on a Google interview any time soon.

for throwing shit together quick ie scripting, good
for everything else, pick something that can at least get close to fucking java performance jesus christ.

Julia is trying to be the "fast Python".

keyword: trying

Jack of all trades, master of none.

wew.lad

Every language is bad and good, it relies on the problem you want to solve.
So yeah, that's applying to literary everything.

Both, actually.

Change your name to "WebDev" namefag

Python is objectively bad, if you ever try to defend it for any reason other than "people who don't know how to program can use it" you're flat out fucking wrong.
The LANGUAGE ITSELF is abhorrent. Nobody who knows a single thing about programming languages or their design would ever, EVER give a nod to python for any reason ever.

Slow, memory mad, the GC is one of the worst ever designed, syntax is inconsistent and bewildering, strong dynamic typing, function signatures are all but fucking worthless, and my favorite: True integers, just the numbers themselves, are fucking OBJECTS. The value 113 is an OBJECT that you can REASSIGN.
YOU CAN REMOVE NUMBERS FROM THE ENTIRE LANGUAGE. THE VALUE 4 CAN BE COMPLETELY ELIMINATED.

The sole benefit python offers is: Most systems have an interpreter for it, and it has a lot of libraries.
If you're an actual retard and just want some small automated task, go ahead. Otherwise you should be ashamed of yourself.

>since Python and C have near similar syntax.
Nobody could possibly be this stupid.

this

Disregarding that faggot who types like a 12 year old, no.
Python is not fast in any respect, at all. Unless you're writing the equivalent of a small bash script, in which case the built in GNU tools and a literal bash script are probably a better fit, or you're writing a simple web crawler, it's slower than almost any other option in both execution and development.

Have a real world example: There exists a set of well defined maths steps for converting an equirectangular 360 photo (what it looks like when you squish a 360 degree photograph into a computer-friendly rectangle) into a T-Strip (unfurling the image into a set of 6 equally sized squares that can then be rendered onto a cube, providing a well formed, explorable 360 image).

Doing this in python for a 16k x 8k image requires nearly two hour. It took about an hour and a half to get everything installed package wise, then sifting through the dogshit documentation for the imagemagick api, then actually implementing the algorithm.
I did it in C++ in about the span of 30 minutes. It took under 30 seconds to run the same size image.

Python was ENORMOUSLY slower both in development time and execution, and even if the C++ version took 3 hours to run the execution time was so much better that it would have been worth doing either way.

C's syntax is more similar to fucking Javascript than Python

Cool anecdotal evidence you have there. Fascinating stuff.

Python is good for day to day automation in server administration, web development, data analysis, etc.

Python is bad when people try to use it for full stack applications, low level applications, etc.

>it's not true because i don't want it to be
Cool rebuttal.

Its a tool suited for many purposes. Faggots on this board have never been emplyed so they dont realize that code only matters for the business value it can provide. There are companies that earn millions running on php 5 and excel spreadsheets. Dont worry about the fags, just learn a language and provide value somewhere.

this, except for the beginners thing. I've tutored a couple of students who were learning on python, and they really struggled. Python will accept just about anything until it throws an exception and crashes, so some of these kids didn't properly learn the logical flow of an imperative language, since almost anything with colons in the right place, and the same number of open and close parentheses is runnable.
On the other hand, the kids who struggled with it were pretty clearly... not the sharpest tools in the shed, to say the least. I'm not sure if they would have done much better in something less permissive (that something being virtually any other common programming language). At least they wouldn't have had to wait for their program to crash every time they screwed up- they would have just gotten a compiler error, the way I did when I first started learning with C.

It sure beats writing stuff for Perl or Bash.

Though languages like Java and C# give much more friendly error messages. Especially when the program does something retarded in runtime.
And C has a weak type system which is probably a bad thing for beginners.

Holy shit you are right

fking trash here

>won’t be doing anything too close to the hardware
^ who teh fuck does -- all such experts here, producing NOTHING

memes like the technological singularity?
you ignorant piece of shit

I wouldn't start people on java or C# because of all the boilerplate.
>public static void main
C has less boilerplate, which makes it better than Java or C# especially for very-first-time programmers, but the problem with C is the lack of meaningful runtime errors. Segfault doesn't really mean anything to someone who's just starting out. Maybe one of the newer statically typed langs, e.g. Go or Nim? Nim has python's simplicity, but with a stonger type system and easy-to-read runtime errors.

The nice thing about Python, JavaScript, Ruby, Lua, Perl, Bash, Scheme, Lisp, and friends is they have zero boiler plate for small programs.

its impossible to program in java to any effect, without an IDE. A huge barrier to start with & the fundamental barrier in programming education

this. if you start someone on java then they won't even understand how a file system works because they'll be stuck in eclipse

Beginners should start with functional programming, learn what input and output really means and how fundamental it is to program design.

All the people I've seen start with OOP have real trouble doing good functional programming, and when they need to do some simple input->process-> output task they always fuck it up by putting data in the global space and accessing global data from within functions, even in nested functions, instead of passing the data as params so that it is processed in logical steps.

Also if you want to get into async and parallel, you better fucking learn it in C. That shit requires really good functional programming as you have to be aware of what processes/threads are accessing which memory and where that memory is stored.

If you are stuck in the Python mindset you can't learn to properly divide data between functions running in parallel.

interesting - having originated with functional programming, hadn't understood that someone introduced, trained in OO, would have a problem with the understanding of dataflow, perpetuity

>Eclipse
Why would you do that to anyone?
Good IDEs are as intuitive as text editors, and often even more.

JavaScript does look a lot like Python3 now that you mention it

What even is the difference between scripting language and programming language

>import threading
>import multiprocessing
What now nerds?

check 'em

its very good, thats why it influenced so many subsequent programming language developments

Django is unironically the best back-end framework out there.

Attached: 9438634682347.jpg (640x803, 41K)

>The value 113 is an OBJECT that you can REASSIGN.
This is objectively false and retarded. You cannot
113=114...it would not work. You sound like a retard that can't actually code you just regurgitate the shit you hear around Jow Forums

this post is cancer

>django
>not twisted

Attached: 1529898629146.jpg (720x960, 51K)

dang son, nice work

Attached: 1542960394432.jpg (842x792, 81K)

Why?

name 1 (one) good java IDE

look I run i3 with nothing but terminal applications pretty much only because I think it makes me look cool, so I know where you're coming from wanting to use needlessly convoluted tools to get trivial jobs done.
But there's a point where you have to give in and accept that sometimes simplicity can be a good thing, even if it does make you feel less special, or like "normies" are intruding on your sacred intellectual big-brain space.

>double pali trips
God I wish that were me

Attached: 1544246616573m.jpg (1024x1023, 51K)

Python isn't very good but it works despite it's failings. Most people use it because that's all they really know, same reason people make electron apps.

no, people make electron apps because noone bothered to make a better gui framework consistent across all platforms. (prove me wrong)

Obviously IntelliJ, unless you're using a toaster or are autistic.

It's fine as long as you aren't using it for something that requires speed. And hey, at least it's not fucking javascript.