Serverfag here

serverfag here
what's the goto recommended server distro for linux?

Attached: 1544052778646.jpg (960x953, 127K)

gentoo

Debian, CentOS, or Ubuntu LTS

>my webdev guy was right
fuck, well there's $20 I'm not getting back
any majory differences between the three? (usecase is mostly general purpose personal hosting)

just use Debian you're not cool enough for centos

/thread

Oh yeah? We'll see about that.

CentOS or Ubuntu LTS, Debian is deprecated.

CentOS if you want to get really serious, Ubuntu LTS if you just want it to werk. Pretty much what everyone else has said.
I have a server still running 14.04LTS and I don't plan to do any major upgrades to the OS in the near future. The big difference between servers and clients is that once they're set up and working you just fucking leave them be. They really don't need to be bleeding-edge from the OS perspective. (Do update the software running on them obviously, but that's just common sense. Also be prepared for downtime when the update goes wrong or changes something and you have to spend hours un-fucking it.)

Attached: gpu.jpg (800x1051, 224K)

Gentoo if you want to get really serious and you just want it to werk. I run Gentoo on all my servers and it's literally perfect.

what if someone breathes in the same room as the server and you have to spend the next ten years fixing the OS?

Attached: techmoanGentoo.jpg (1920x1080, 255K)

Fedorqla, Gentoo, Debian.

Ubuntu is an arsepain with too many maintainer fuckups as far as I'm concerned.

Then you should have picked Gentoo rather than Ubuntu.

Gentoo runs fine for 14 years now here. And survived multiple major migrations (baselayout to openrc to systemd, 32bit to 64bit, introduction of libcxx on many packages, ...).

I wasn't referring to the OS, moreso the software that runs on it. Case in point, I had an old version of the Unifi controller running that I installed with much CLI fuckery and it took me a fucking age to get the latest version running and talking to the access points literally just because I had to nigger rig the early version to work and all the changes I made were fucking with the up-to-date one. The OS itself has never given me any problems. I just generally apply 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' to important pieces of infrastructure.

slackware

IT fag here. CentOS has been tried and true. RHEL if you have the budget. Suse is popular in some places like Germany for some reason. Ubuntu is a pretty solid choice now too.

Attached: cat_unicorn.jpg (1199x1005, 177K)

Attached: 1521567871_windowsserverinsiderpreview_story.jpg (760x428, 29K)

No production environment, but I use debian anytime I need an easy headless server, and it works like a dream.

Attached: Capture.png (577x364, 18K)

>Suse is popular in some places like Germany
Fuck that explains it, had an old boss from europe that was obsessed with opensuse.
Used it a bit and could not see the appeal.

debian or centos, ignore the gentoo shills.

that’s a dumb question that only leads to more questions. what are you trying to host? is your stuff running in containerst? do you need to run on bare metal or under a hupervisor? do you need muh enterprise support contracts?

Attached: AbsolutelyHaram.jpg (600x516, 62K)

NixOS

Ubuntu Server, CentOS.

CoreOS
NixOS

Any good resources covering home networks and servers? Had to troubleshoot client device at work and gain access to the external internet for testing of new product. Seemed pretty straightforward. Am now motivated to set up home network properly and build server for content hosting

Also, where the fuck is the home server general threads?? I've been gone for a while.