Tell me why I should change from i3 to dwm

Tell me why I should change from i3 to dwm

Attached: dwm_official_logo.gif (192x80, 578)

Other urls found in this thread:

tools.suckless.org/tabbed/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nevermind I figured it out

Only I didn't

You shouldn't. dwm is worthless and everytime you have to make minor changes you have to recompile. Stick with i3. It's much better.

works out of the box and doesn't look like shit
easy to configure (single .h)
god tier window splitting
god tier multi-monitor support
low ram usage

i3 is used by disgusting pot-addicted faggots and dumb nerds who hate anime.

Use bspwm if you are straight

Attached: 1543336268077.png (483x487, 196K)

stop being a fag and use a proper window manager like fvwm or twm

there is literally nothing wrong with i3
but if you use i3 gaps then you are a fucking faggot

>bspwm
>doesn't even handle key bindings because muh minimalism

to gain nerd points on Jow Forums

low ram usage bro

Attached: fuck.png (641x43, 3K)

Does it play nice with rotated displays?

Thank god, I'm running out of RAM on this toaster

Attached: free.jpg (648x72, 7K)

>WM
>wants hotkeys
This is UNIX faggot.
If you want hotkeys, use a hotkey daemon like sxhkd.

Or use suckless trash that does no thing well but comes with gay patches that makes it do a million things not well just like every other WM/DE

Attached: g0gcavsvrv121.png (1193x672, 286K)

>This is UNIX faggot.
>Arch
Literally not UNIX

If you care about le UNIX way so much, then why are you using systemd?

>Arch must means he uses systemd
I bet you have Steam installed

Attached: brainlet 2.png (219x250, 30K)

>dwm is garbage because it cant do things without user contributed, optional patches
>bspwm is better because it cant do anything and has no patches
what.

nice logo they have there

Attached: clilti.png (192x80, 683)

Arch installs with Systemd and you have to gut it to replace it with openrc
the Archwiki doesn't even correctly detail the process anymore because archtards are too stupid to know they're using it

No idiot, bspwm is a Window Manager.
Vanilla dwm isn't a good WM and all the patches for are made by people that want the KDE experience so there's no point to it.

Replacing systemd on Arch is a complete mess and you're better off just installing Gentoo.

It's a window _manager_, not a window painter. It manages the fucking windows, and if it doesn't have hotkeys to do that it's really shit at its job.

>says the arch user, satania-fag

Install OpenBSD

Do you want the WM to lock your sessions too?
You can use any hotkey scheme you want.

I used vanilla dwm from the debian repos for years before I started patching it
It's fantastic fuck off

I'm not even gonna get started on what you said but wow man i hope you don't have this out in public

using an alternative solution is a clusterfuck and is not worth it at all

for me its Xmonad

Attached: 1873393c53b7f06aa4eb1b1f6a59a4ae5f44d3234254c594a47dcbc09fc1e8a9.jpg (1080x1080, 103K)

>Do you want the WM to lock your sessions too?
I don't need it to nor should it, since that's locking the session, not managing the windows. But since I have hotkeys built in, I can tie a program like slock to anything I want and don't have to do shit.
Why the fuck would I want anything other than my window manager to manage my windows? I literally don't understand where you're coming from. If you want a usable system with bspwm you HAVE to install and configure something else to handle key bindings. It's basically unfinished software at that point.

reasons why I prefer dwm
>dwm default status bar is prettier
>more simple mistress/slave tiling
>no confusion with clunky nested containers
that's about it. i3 has more features and advanced tiling, but do you need it?

i3 is a *tiling* window manager so it is used by anime watching neets who feel the need to take screenshots of their desktop and send them to people or post them.
dwm is a *dynamic* window manager it is used by people who do actual work.

Pick whichever one best suits your lifestyle.

i would unironically use twm if someone patched it to support fullscreen programs

Yes. Doing so now.

PM'd you the solution

DWM is the most used compositor worldwide.

I tried making dwm work like i3 but there were two packages what conflicted, since they both changed shit within the same function and patch threw a shitfit about it. Honestly all I want to do is make everything fullscreen but tabbed and occassionally pop out a window to the right, I don't care about all the meme spiral algorithms. I just don't want to have to install a bunch of perl shit every time I install my window manager. perl-AnyEvent in particular likes to fail tests because fuck you perl.

Attached: 1531275904626.jpg (960x960, 78K)

By that retard logic, every WM should have tint2 built in since it directly assists in managing windows.
Just get tint2 and sxhkb separately like a white man.

One program, one function.

You shouldn't. DWM is shit.

Why stop there? We should clearly split the tiling engine and decoration drawing into separate programs

I3 works fine for me,also macros are the best way to keep annoying people the fuck off

Except you literally can't you dumb fucking munter.
You clearly have no idea how the X Windowing system works if you think that the Window Manager and the "Window Decorator" can be separate programs.
There is no reason that the taskbar nor the hotkey daemon nor the compositor need to be integrated with the window manager.

wrong

>Tell me why I should change from i3 to dwm
Because dwm is more what a tiling wm should be, as it intentionally restricts how you can place windows in order to minimize your interactions with it.
I honestly think that it is pretty great and highly usable.

What is the difference between a tiling and a dynamic window manager?
And don't tell me a dynamic window manager can do both floating and tiling, as i3 also does exactly that.

surf post test ignore

>I want to do is make everything fullscreen but tabbed
tools.suckless.org/tabbed/

How long does compilation take? A second or two?

>second or two
Even less desu...

you shouldn't

i3 is supposed to be used tabbed

mpv shouldn't have tearing in fullscreen but in awesomewm it does - why is FS in awesome not FS?

dwm uses the virgin xlib
i3 uses the chad xcb
hope i helped

I3 gaps is good

Is there a WM that does absolutely everything i3 can do but with more features as well?

yeah try i3-gaps
it can do everything i3 does + gaps

i fucking hate suckless everything because you need to know C to configure anything at all. I wanted to make a simple custom patch but I have no idea how the fuck you can have multiple patches substituting multiple lines without colluding with each other. fuck dwm and fuck the cabal of elite autistic retards that write suckless shit, suck a fat neckbeard cock

t. brainlet

By "features" I meant things that are actually useful.