Emacs Love Thread

Emacs rocks.

Attached: EmacsIcon.png (2000x2000, 371K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/jordonbiondo/ample-theme
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw using emacs sucks on windows

Use a VM.

VS Code and don’t look back

Accept the almighty power of GNU/Linux

Do you guys have any favorite modes/ plugs other than the obvious: org-mode ?

I really like the flycheck mode.

i prefer vim and nano

I only like using emacs in the console. But since the console version of emacs only has black font over white background and most modern terminals have a dark theme I can almost never use emacs.

Emacs has customizable 8 color and 16 color terminal themes

really? where do I access them?

Install windows subsystem for linux, and install emacs inside that ;)

Attached: kkNkOxL.jpg (640x561, 59K)

I like it. Wouldn't say love, but it's pretty solid.

Love Emacs. Recently moved to OpenBSD from Linux, and found out the BSDs have a builtin, minimal equivalent called "mg". Works neatly without the bloat of bells and whistles.

nov.el and pdf-tools with org mode for consuming epubs and studies at high speeds vroooom

emacs a shit. use ed.

> use ed
kek. top bait

How do I into emacs. Bio fag going back to school for CS.

unfortunately, just like touch typing, it comes from using it on work that matters.

Ease into by focusing on editing that uses only a couple of commands such as opening file, editing file, cutting a line, saving file, and command for exiting emacs. Once that becomes second-nature from muscle memory, add more keystrokes as/when you need them.

thats how I got proficient

Depends on if you want to learn classic Emacs, or if you want to jump into a prepackaged config (like Spacemacs or Doomemacs).
I like modal editing, so I recommend Spacemacs, then just do the tutorial, but to each their own, ymmv, etc.

lub big macs

We should all just use computers which boot straight into emacs. It’s literally a whole OS.

not op but I went from emacs to vscode to sublime and I'm still looking because sublime's macro recording doesn't include finds like emacs' did and vscode doesn't have macro recording at all

I wish I could make myself devote time into learning emacs

Just take 15 minutes to read the intro and then start using it full time. The thing is largely self documenting. If you need to buy the printed manual it helps the FSF but the same content is available online from within the editor.

vi’s for brainlets and everything else sucks.

is there anyone who is an honest to god guru of both emacs and vim who is a trusted neutral party, that could settle the debate once and for all?

also why are nigger developers makign shit like atom, sublime, and vs code when we already have vim and emacs. just improve on vim and emacs instead of making more bullshit

somebody told me to use spacemacs

Doubtful. I am competent in both but I prefer emacs. However it could just be that it is the editor I was introduced to first. I am happy to use both and I frequently do. I just spend less time using vim than emacs, which makes total sense. They are two different software paradigms. Vim might be an editor you might open and close often while Emacs is more like an IDE. It might be an editor you open and keep open.

Cut off all contact with that person, they will destroy you one day if you allow them to remain in your life. First and last warning. That person is not to be trusted.

evil mode + org-mode.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 13K)

>literally just emacs that phone’s home to some company who then sells your metrics

Ivy, counsel and swiper.

where my Doom Emacs squad at?

Attached: 1*I6svBlHhkufsMTYbC5YFUw.png (1532x944, 233K)

wtf there's telemetry in spacemacs?

helm, interleave mode, multiple cursors, dired mode

i want to switch to doom but i like the gui of spacemacs more. Give me a reason to switch before i get too comfy with the spacemacs keybindings

RTFM. Read the builtin emacs one and both the builtin elisp ones.

no he's retarded

In what way does it suck?

Its slow as fuck compared to Linux especially using magit

It sucks. Only regards love it.

I'm pretty good with Vim and can use emacs well enough. Vims grammar for editing is really efficient and comfy when you get used to it. Emacs has a better community around plugins / customization. I'm giving doomemacs a shot now, which claims to be fast like vi, have evil mode(vi emulation), and still be emacs(so you can customize etc).

With respect to default configs of vi and emacs, I find vi better for editing but emacs better for browsing (completions in the open file dialog, better window switching).

Through an unfortunate turn of events, I am forced to use wingblows at work these days, and being able to use emacs on a shit platform is the only saving grace my job still has for me apart from putting bread on the table.

daily reminder that the best text editor is not Emacs or Vim but Emacs with Vim.

It's not a war anymore, but an Alliance.

>Emacs with Vim.
Wrong. It's Emacs with Ed

I think if you press M-x then type customize-theme it might give you a mode that gives you the ability to select a theme. You can also make your own theme and load it in your init.el. Or, you can keep it in one ".custom" file if you're in to that.

How good is webkit in emacs?

btw we're the minority that prefer emacs to run NOT in gtk/graphical mode. love my bitmap fonts to death.

I started emacs a few months ago and I appreciate AUCTeX. Ultimately, I think the most power comes from one's init.el.

Pretty garbage, I only use it to render email when its some shitty HTML email.

vim opens up faster then emacs if the latter does not have a daemon. vim is natively modal wrt it's editing.

emacs is a lisp machine. it is encouraged to install packages one finds useful; the vim community trues to avoid installation of too many pkgs. emacs also has a badass pkg manager; vim does not. lisp beats the piss of out vimscript and can do whatever the hell u want. needless to say, the emacs interpreter is better than that of vim. emacs also has more options as well as faces, or font properties such as color and weight for things like primitives in your favorite prog language. emacs also has org-mode, which I have just started to use. it's sick. you can compile lanaguages within org-mode. hell, you can "make" any language from within the emacs evaluation capability.

the biggest downside of emacs is sometimes elisp is a pain or not intuitive. like the functions people write make my head hurt at times. even if they are rather self-documenting. and it's also annoying when you have errors in your init.el. luckily, the use-package package helps deter errors by indirect means.

The best version. Easy to use and just werks.

I want to make the switch from vim to emacs. I find myself editing a lot of files from the terminal and to me using a terminal based text editor like vim just makes more sense. Having to open a second program just to edit a file seems like a big hassle. From what I understand you are supposed to use the graphical version of emacs because it's superior. Do you guys use emacs for everything or use a separate program to edit text from the terminal?

Use cat and echo

I personally start the Emacs daemon via the provided systemd user service (Emacs 26+) and set emacsclient as my $EDITOR so there's no delay in opening a file. Even though I have a 2k lines init file Emacs starts in around 0.5 seconds so there's no need to use the daemon either, I just like that it sends the file I want to edit to whichever active Emacs window (be it GUI or TUI).

I love spacemacs, but it has far too much jank. I loathe the fact that every other editor just feels terrible underpowered compared to it, and I cbf trying to configure emacs from scratch since I'd just end up with a buggier spacemacs with no support... Maybe this is especially pronounced when using it to edit scala, I dunno.

dude spacemacs

same as the previous guy except I start the daemon from my wm, I never close it. When I open a file from the command line it opens it in a new frame.

Anyone here tried spacevim? I use spacemacs, but I would like to try out spacevim to see if it runs a little better on my machine

>But since the console version of emacs only has black font over white background and most modern terminals have a dark theme I can almost never use emacs.
Look at the image, truecolor capability is the keyword you're looking for.

Attached: truecoloremacs.png (3196x848, 187K)

>We will share your data with our partners and lea if we have good faith having the right to do so
>literally worse than Atom now when atom implemented vscs protocols

Whoever uses vscoder vscodiun or any of that shit deserves to stay in Israel

>and I cbf trying to configure emacs from scratch since I'd just end up with a buggier spacemacs with no support

It's really not too difficult to do with the package manager.

Vim is miles ahead when editing big chunks of data. Some times you just have to open files with MBs of data, and sometimes more than that.
Emacs just has a lot more features and easy to develop plugins (which make it have a lot of plugins).

Only if you're gay

Yeah but then I have to remap everything to be spacemacs-like and so forth, and when shit goes wrong I stand an even smaller chance of debugging it since I'm not that proficient with emacs' internals. What Im thinking is to just get the small subset of stuff I absolutely need (scala stuff and org) and see if I still get jank, then at least I will know if it's spacemacs or if it's ensime and autocomplete etc

Emacs can usually do files up to 512MB with no problem besides maybe lag.
There is vlf.el which loads a large file of arbitrary size in chunks.

I want to create a colorscheme for spacemacs, and I know where to put the right shit in the dotfile, but it's a pain in the ass. Is there an easier way to customize the colors someone has devised? Like such that I can fuck around with them in real time?

M-x customize-create-theme?

Vlf saved my ass a couple of times
Had to look at a 7 gig txt

Yeah it does, best over-ssh file manager

thank you
why does emacs have everything already?

`emacs -nw --color=no` is my jam.

>uses emacs
>doesn't program in lisp
Disgusting.

doing some googling the only theme Ive found that fixes the colors in the terminal is ample-theme
github.com/jordonbiondo/ample-theme
It requires setting the terminal to handle 256 colors in the .bashrc file as most terminals only handle 16 colors

If you want to switch from Vim to Emacs, IMO the best thing to do is use Tmux + emacs -nw. There is a pretty good plugin called emamux which will allow you allow you good interaction with the shell.

Meh, emacs is a good operating system, it just needs a better text editor.

Attached: hehe.gif (264x240, 3.1M)

>In the GNU/Linux world there are two major text editing programs: the minimalist vi (known in some implementations as elvis) and the maximalist emacs. I use emacs, which might be thought of as a thermonuclear word processor. It was created by RichardStallman; enough said. It is written in Lisp, which is the only computer language that is beautiful. It is colossal, and yet it only edits straight ASCII text files, which is to say, no fonts, no boldface, no underlining. In other words, the engineer-hours that, in the case of Microsoft Word, were devoted to features like mail merge, and the ability to embed feature-length motion pictures in corporate memoranda, were, in the case of emacs, focused with maniacal intensity on the deceptively simple-seeming problem of editing text. If you are a professional writer – i.e., if someone else is getting paid to worry about how your words are formatted and printed – emacs outshines all other editing software in approximately the same way that the noonday sun does the stars. It is not just bigger and brighter; it simply makes everything else vanish. – Neal Stephenson, In the Beginning was the Command Line (1998)

Stallman wants emacs to function as a WYSIWYG word processor but nobody seems to care to write one#

Where are my castlemacs boys at?

I doubt immigration services will buy that argument.

As a vs code user that is interested in learning vim because of those times when it is more convenient to edit a file on a server from a terminal, and thought I could at least use the vim keybindings later on vscode to go fast like sanic.

Why would I want to learn emacs?

To be honest the hotkey bindings for emacs are not as good as VS Code. You can use VS Code without touching the mouse if you know the keybindings. You can also activate the Sublime keybindings in VS Code as they are very good also. Emacs is only good for using in the terminal, vim might seem simpler but its not.

I wish i could use emacs at work.

gonna start learning emacs next week. I dont know how fluent can i be with just 1 month.
any tips?

Attached: 288946.jpg (1920x1080, 184K)

I am not a programmer, but I started using Emacs after using Vim for a few weeks (I am a fucking hipster). I tried to learn Emacs bindings, cannot do it, tried God Mode, cannot get used. Tried xah-fly-keys, it didn't work for me.

After rage quitting for some months and going full VSCode, I came back and tried Emacs + Evil. Never looking back.

Try vanilla Emacs, learn the few basic commands and try Evil. Text editing will flow. If you want more compatibility you can try Evil Collection or try your own bindings.

I tried Spacemacs too and I guess it is useful and mind opening for many people, but personally, vanilla Emacs + Evil is just as good for me.

Why do I use Emacs? Org Mode.

tranny detected

>using windows

I dislike spacemacs, because it feels so slow. It also has really shitty documentation for the evil-mode.

Here's a list of things to Google:
Emacs tutorial
Evil-mode
Org-mode

As a Computer Scientist, you will be editing a *lot* of text. Whether it's code, or notes.
Evil-mode aids navigation,
Org-mode helps with organizing your notes/life. Also for creating very nice homework exports with LaTex.

I'm very biased towards EVIL-mode because I think VIM just has much saner keybindings, which is why I first started with Vim, but I switched to Emacs for Org-mode once I found out about EVIL-mode (which simulates VIM keybindings in Emacs).

Even if you hate Vim's keybinding approach and ditch EVIL-mode, Please look into Org-mode. I implore you.

I wish someone would've told me about Org-mode when I was a freshman. Would've made things a LOT easier in my program.
Also, look into Orgzly for mobile.

Correct.

Correct.

Wrong.

abbrev-mode, flyspell, writegood-mode, company, eshell... and anything else that is useful for the particular project.

Wrong.

Wrong.

What are some reasons to use it vs. vanilla?

Wrong.

Correct.

What do you use to get nice LaTeX exports from org-mode?

Every time you start up it phones home, check yourself and see.

emacs —daemon is the patrician way to go. If X crashes you’re fucked though, so I prefer to use it with a terminal based emacsclient.

Don’t use spacemacs or doom emacs or any of that shit, just use vanilla emacs. Those retard versions are slow and a meme and you’re essentially just using somebody else’s customizations. Learn vanilla emacs and make your own customizations, you will learn more and it’ll be easier.

What do you use macros for senpai?

once you fall in love with a text editor

ur fucked, shoulda stayed universally indifferent

Bump.

>implying emacs will go away
>implying it doesn’t run everywhere
>implying it can’t do anything
You can even run emacs on MS-DOS.

Any idea how I could use emacs to take notes while reading a pdf paper?
Right now I read the paper in a pdf reader and take notes in an org file and rely on naming convention to keep things organized.

you can run edit on ms dos too and you don't have to figure out how to get it set up ...

softness wins out over hardness, ya know?