Why haven't you transitioned over to artix yet, Jow Forums?

Why haven't you transitioned over to artix yet, Jow Forums?
It's literally arch but without the digusting systemd cancer running amok on your precious computer.
If you're too lazy to reinstall there's a simple migration guide, since it's still the same OS.
And yes, the AUR still works fine.
There's literally no excuse for being stuck with systemdicks in 2018
artixlinux.org/

Attached: banner512x256.png (512x256, 11K)

Because I use Devuan

Actually I moved from gentoo to Artix last month. I managed to fuck up something in portage so it wouldn't update. Since compiling EVERYTHING again would take me a while I decided to switch Artox and go for a 15 min install instead.

How is it?
Did you use the arch iso and change the mirrors or did you use the artix iso?
Also, you probably could have fixed portage instead of nuking your entire install. Or copied your binaries and used them again with ebuilds.

As a new linux user, what kind of advantage I would get if I get rid of systemd?

The documentation is shit.

it's literally arch with openRC
what documentation do you need?

a system not taking 2 minutes to shut down
no NSA backdoor

it fucking pings google in the background and lennart says thats a good thing

I've honestly found distros defined by "no systemd" are shit. Random site outages/randomly outdated packages(that have nothing to do with systemd) etc.

>a system not taking 2 minutes to shut down
Don't really care because I don't shutdown that often, and if I want to shutdown the computer it's because I'm not going to use it anymore. Also, checking videos it looks like systemd loads faster than OpenRC.
>no NSA backdoor
If the NSA wants a backdoor in my computer I don't think they would stop just because I don't have systemd. Plausible deniability is the key.
>it fucking pings google in the background
Source on this? I only could find that it fallbacks to google DNS if no other DNS is defined.

I am right there with you bros. Switched from Gentoo to Artix. Loving pre-compiled packages.

Attached: 2018-12-11-215714_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 322K)

openrc isnt your only option, atrix also has runit .isos

I want to but the logo looks amateurish and I'm waiting to see if it will become a mature and stable project like Devuan

why should i use anything arch related other than >muh minimalism and >le power user may may

a better question is, "why shouldn't i just use arch?"

Because you're not a faggot who loves taking the Pottering duck up his ass right?

dick* i cant fucking spell today

None. Systemd just violates many people's philosophy.

Systemd was an init system. Now it's taken over more control than just handling init. Most applications require systemd and that sort of violates the philosophy of choice and decentralization.

You can run a non systemd OS perfectly fine, but you'll need workarounds for systemd. Artix uses systemd-dummy and libsystemd-dummy packages.

Think of it like this. Most applications depend on something else. A library or a toolkit or an API or anything. You may have multiple libraries or toolkits on your system that runs virtually the same service, but each are developed by different developers respectively.

Systemd developers don't like this. They don't like that there are 15 utility services running the same system calls. They don't want fragmentation. They want everything to depend on systemd. And many applications have adopted this philosophy. This rules out the freedom of choice users have, which violates many philosophies in Linux and open source communities.

Some people care about this. Some don't. There's nothing wrong with systemd. It's stable and easy to maintain. It just triggers the philosophy of many Linux users.

Because it's garbage and basically SystemD distro even though it uses OpenRC/runit.

>elogind compiled as dependency for literaly everything.

Only needed by Gnome and why would you use Artix anyway if you use Gnome?

Elogind is systemd. They should use Consolekit2.

does parabola do a better job at being arch + openrc?

No. All these distributions that are derived from systemd distros are complete mess (including Devuan).

Gentoo is only sensible distro if you want completely systemd free distribution.

including arch itself

literally nothing wrong with SystemD except you got autism

>another autistic special snowflake distro that serves no real purpose
What's wrong with the last 20+ meme distros?

Based.

It's over a million lines of spaghetti code with a lot of vulnerabilities in it because the creators are incompetent. Some of the defaults can lead to MSI motherboards getting bricked if you accidentally wipe the exposed EFI variables. And just on a personal level I've had issues with it eating up a ton of memory if it's left on for a couple weeks. Something about how it does journaling isn't right so it never clears and then just eats and eats RAM. For example my server with 8GB of RAM was left on for 3 weeks and the RAM was filled. And this is just the Ubuntu shitbox home server where I send my backup images, so it's not like it was doing much.

So TLDR systemd is a problem on servers and other relatively unattended machines because of security vulnerabilities and sky high resource usage. On desktops and laptops it's probably fine, since most people reboot those once a week at least.

Go back to your headquarters cia nigger

The power of systemd is bigger than we tough.
Anyways, nice joke, Devuan works flawlessly and im using Slackware too and both are perfectly perfect without potterin

outdated

I installed artix once on a computer with nvidia graphics and it shit the bed. The system came with linux-lts, and so they recommended the associated nvidia-lts, and I so I installed it, and the kernel and nvidia driver were somehow incompatible. Maybe the package maintainers were having a bad day? I haven't used anything Arch-derived since.

cuz gentoo

I used the Artix iso. The installation process differs from arch in 2 or 3 commands.

>you could've fixed portage
I spent a few hours trying to fix portage but then I decided to just backup my files and move to a distro with binary package manager.

>hows it?
Feels the same as Arch.

>is gentoo a meme?
Fuck no. Even though I like Artix I miss so much portage that I'll probably be coming back to gentoo. The USEs are a big deal for me because I feel like the binary packages are shipped with a lot of bloat ie. Emacs.

>compiling makes your computer superfast
This is a meme

>2019
>using anything but Gentoo

What about services? A shit tonne of packages/software relies on systemd for scheduling and shit. What happens if you install a package which tries to install a systemd service?

you are aware Gentoo can save the binary packages created ? I never reinstall anything I just copy the pkgs over to my other devices and it's like having a binary distro. and my trusted clean powerful main machine just compiled everything for all devices in the background

also you can use Pacman,deb etc on Gentoo. For example when I need a package fast I just install a binary version with nix. and since nix isolates packages from the rest of the os there are no problems. then when I have time I tell my main machine to compile the package and uninstall the nix variant. Literally no better setup possible in the whole universe

whats a nix?

the package Manager from nixos. nixos itself is unsable since it is Lennart infected but nix in Gentoo is wonderful

that looks nice. makes me almost want to switch to loo nix

Because I'm waiting for my semester to be over. Once I'm on vacation I'll install Artix on my desktop and my laptop.

So can I get and use yaourt and pacman on it?